Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post Match Views CAFC 1 - 1 BRFC

edited November 2010 in General Charlton
[cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]Charlton 1-1 Bristol R FT
(HT 0-0)
Benson 77
Brown 63

Team line-ups and match stats

Charlton
01 Elliot
02 Francis
12 Doherty
19 Fryyellow card (Reid 65)
24 Fortune
04 Jackson
06 Semedo (McCormack 58)
07 Wagstaff (A Sodje 68)
08 Racon
10 Martin
17 Benson

Substitutes
25 Warner, 05 Llera, 28 Seip, 11 Reid, 16 McCormack, 09 Abbott, 14 A Sodje

Bristol Rovers
01 Andersen
03 Sawyeryellow card
05 Coles
06 Tunnicliffe
04 Lines
07 Campbell
11 Hughesyellow card
14 Brown
23 Swallow
09 Akinde (Hoskins 66)
17 Kuffour

Substitutes
13 Green, 21 Clough, 22 Pell, 28 Powell, 29 Jeffries, 08 Hoskins, 18 Richard Ref: Russell

Att: 13,468

Possession
Charlton 50% Bristol R 50%

Attempts on target
Charlton 12 Bristol R 3

Attempts off target
Charlton 3 Bristol R 4

Corners
Charlton 6 Bristol R 2

Fouls
Charlton 10 Bristol R 9

Comments

• Options
    9 games unbeaten. Can we make it 10 Saturday in the cup?
  • Options
    Their keeper pulled off 3 super saves and but for some poor decision making by Reid and Martin I think we would've wrapped it up. Poor first half but a lot better second for us.

Sodje looked menacing when on but Martin and Doc were struggling in second half and of course Jose went off. Bristol came to do a job and done it more or less. They had 2 chances and scored one.

Considering the run we've been on and other results in the league tonight I'd take it.
  • Options
    I agree if we had played as well as we did in the last 20 (by the sound of it) and had lost i'd be distraught. but i'll take the point now.
  • Options
    attendance lowest in ages, couldnt make it tonigh did rovers bring alot?
    sounded like we could have nicked it at the end with a few chances and commentators said we were the better team,
    dont have a midweek game untill brentford so players can recover a bit and hopefully push on!
    overall not to disapointed and glad we came back from a goal down
  • Options
    Through providing updates on the match for peple on here and then having quickly re-read them, it sounds as though we were ok in first halfwihout being great, and then fell behind to their first corner (same way as they equalised against Brighton last Saturday) in the second, after which we gave them a 'bit of a bashing' with their keeper pulling off some great saves.
    I said on the match thread that last year we may have lost this if we had gone one down. However there seems to be a 'tenacity' about this side which just wont lay down - no matter how they are playing - this speaks volumes for the manager, coaches and playing staff.
    We can keep this unbeaten run going and I'm beggining to believe that this side can get to the 'fizzypop' league this season......am I being too optimistic as I can only deliver my opinion from the commentary?.....which tonight was excellent!!
  • Options
    Shame we didn't get the win, but it sounds like we had a good go in the second half, which was encouraging.

Other results didn't really go against us, so we shouldn't be too disappointed.

Another match unbeaten.........good stuff.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Redmidland[/cite]last year we may have lost this
  • Options
    Another match unbeaten so thats a real positive. Their keeper was outstanding to be honest, made a few great saves. Very happy that we came out 2nd half much better then we did in the 1st. Good that Brighton drew also. Overall not a bad result at the end of the day.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    We've won games having played worse and scored more from fewer shots. Such is life.

A lot of players not quite on their games esp Wagstaff.

Fortune looked comfortable all night while Sodje made a huge difference. Harried them, laid it off and had a couple of chances. Most importantly he pushed them 15 yards back so we suddenly had room to play.

PS why are we choosing to kick the 'wrong way' and how did the PA man think the scorer was Reid?

PPS. Addicted was in a good mood for some odd reason I can't remember.
  • Options
    Overall happy, I also predicted it on the pre match, thingy..

LOVED proper commentary, Stevie Brown is so switched on....

Roll on Saturday, if we can get a win there I think we are in a strong position to keep in those automatic spots...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    the reason we chose to kick the wrong way was we did it against sheff wed and won so did it against yeovil and won, superstitious
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Bit of a huff and puff game, where for the bulk of it, Rovers had no intent and we didn't have that bit of spark extra to make the difference.

For 80 minutes it appeared to be a textbook smash and grab, with them taking the one half chance that fell their way. For the bulk of the 1st half we had the bulk of play, but kept getting players isolated in the final third running into brick walls.

We kept increasing the pressure in the 2nd half but to no avail, twice Doherty picked out two beautiful cross field balls, with their keeper pulling off a fine save from Akpo, who really shook things up well when he come on.

And then just when it looked like the game was going to drift away, we nicked the goal, and looked like we may go on and get the three points, but not to be.

Of the bits to pick out, when teams sit so flat as Rovers did tonight, we really need to mix up our midfield and have one or two really pushing in beyond the forwards and stretching the game that way. I thought we played with too flat a midfield for too much of the game. Martin grafts, that there is no doubting. Francis does the majority of what he has to do fine, but then he makes too many needless passing / positional mistakes and makes it out he is having a worse game than he is.

Shame the ref didn't really get into Rovers for their timewasting, and reflect it in what he added on. Can understand why they did it, but frustrating none the less.
  • Options
    You said "bulk" loads then!
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]You said "bulk" loads then!

i had to look up whether they had a player called bulk and maybe i was just missing something!
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Bit of a huff and puff game, where for the bulk of it, Rovers had no intent and we didn't have that bit of spark extra to make the difference.

For 80 minutes it appeared to be a textbook smash and grab, with them taking the one half chance that fell their way. For the bulk of the 1st half we had the bulk of play, but kept getting players isolated in the final third running into brick walls.

We kept increasing the pressure in the 2nd half but to no avail, twice Doherty picked out two beautiful cross field balls, with their keeper pulling off a fine save from Akpo, who really shook things up well when he come on.

And then just when it looked like the game was going to drift away, we nicked the goal, and looked like we may go on and get the three points, but not to be.

Of the bits to pick out, when teams sit so flat as Rovers did tonight, we really need to mix up our midfield and have one or two really pushing in beyond the forwards and stretching the game that way. I thought we played with too flat a midfield for too much of the game. Martin grafts, that there is no doubting. Francis does the majority of what he has to do fine, but then he makes too many needless passing / positional mistakes and makes it out he is having a worse game than he is.

Shame the ref didn't really get into Rovers for their timewasting, and reflect it in what he added on. Can understand why they did it, but frustrating none the less.

Totally agree everything you just said. Everyone around me said we played well but did not get our luck but think we could have played a lot better in terms of passing, pushing forward and getting decent crosses in.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    [cite]Posted By: ThreadKiller[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Redmidland[/cite]last year we may have lost this
    I dunno, last year we were pretty resiliant, came back from behind numerous times in games. Think this season we've between able to scrap out wins when last season we'd have drawn.
  • Options
    One of those games where you just aren't destined to get your just desserts.

I can't fault the lads at all. They all put it in tonight and played some lovely football at times. Unfortunately they were up against a 'keeper at the top of his game and conceded a training ground corner that worked like a dream.

It happens. Onwards and upwards. I just hope Jose is ok. Fry will miss the cup game so if he had to be suspended probably as good a time as any.

Don't know what the attendance was (did BDL announce it?) but we seemed sparse on the ground to me.
  • Options
    Thought we played well at times and just a shame we don't have a Kevin Phillips or suchlike to finish off tghose chances that seem to go a -begging.

But I'm not maoning - would have bitten your hand off on Aug 1st to be sitting 2nd come December..........just need to keep in the pack and then make alate run come March time.

What really does p**s me off is the bloke in my a few seats from me who constantly boos when things start going a bit pear shaped. Tonight, it was after 60 mins and once we were 1-0 down he boos every player who makes even the slightest error................same bloke I nearly twatted last season who booed at the end of the Norwich game , after we narowly lost to the team who finished top.

He is so negative he makes me soumd like Henry !!
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    We should have won it with our 2nd half performance. Rovers scored with their 1st shot on target and then tried to slow the game down and just clear their lines at every opportunity. If only Martin and/or Reid could have actually crossed the ball properly, having got into good wide positions, then I'm sure we would have won it. Kudos to their keeper too, who made 3 blinding saves. McCormack looked good when he came on as a sub and Akpo made a real difference and clearly rattled their central defenders. I'm quite happy with the draw and we move onto the next game.
  • Options
    Thought we played well, but for the last third of the pitch, a bit too slow in thought and lacking in movement. Martin was back to over elaborating and failing to deliver on the final ball.

Good positive substitutions by Parkie.

Its been a tough few weeks and we have done really well better than we could have hoped for, I'd live with a weakened team on Saturday for this team to get some rest.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]Thought we played well at times and just a shame we don't have a Kevin Phillips or suchlike to finish off tghose chances that seem to go a -begging.

But I'm not maoning - would have bitten your hand off on Aug 1st to be sitting 2nd come December..........just need to keep in the pack and then make alate run come March time.

What really does p**s me off is the bloke in my a few seats from me who constantly boos when things start going a bit pear shaped. Tonight, it was after 60 mins and once we were 1-0 down he boos every player who makes even the slightest error................same bloke I nearly twatted last season who booed at the end of the Norwich game , after we narowly lost to the team who finished top.

He is so negative he makes me soumd like Henry !!

You really should have a word with Large :-)
  • Options
    Can't believe the 50/50 stats. We seemed to have a lot of the ball in the first half. Good game and very unlucky not to win. Brizzle didn't give the ball away and kept a good tight shape and they didn't seem to tire until the last few minutes when we had chances to win. Their goalie Anderson was MOM. Martin was fun to watch but Waggy wasn't really visible apart from one good effort that went just wide.
    Apart from one dire pass Francis played pretty well and didn't let the winger get past him. Racon classy and fully involved again.
    For gawds sake, don't expect to win every game.
    Oh and I won some dosh with Draw/Draw so maybe I'm getting psychic.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]
    Don't know what the attendance was (did BDL announce it?) but we seemed sparse on the ground to me.

Att: 13,468, Len.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]But I'm not maoning

Can we have that in writing, please Golfie......?

Oh, we just have.

(only joshing)

;o)
  • Options
    I thought we were too light weight up front and needed Akpo to spearhead the attack. Waggy wasn't having a good game so I would have subbed him for Akpo in the first half and put Martin on the wing. This eventually happened and we became more of a threat. Anyway, came away from the match having felt entertained and no heartache over a point for tonights effort. Their keeper pulled off some great saves.
  • Options
    For the first 20 minutes we looked fantastic, but gradually our attacking ideas seemed to run out and we let them get a foothold on the game. We started the second half letting them have far too much of the ball and only started to get back into it after they had scored. Can't blame Elliot for their goal, but I was concerned at how many free men they had on the side of the pitch that they shot from. Very impressed with Francis tonight, I've been quite critical up to now, but thought he did very well.
  • Options
    Thought we played well and a bit more killer edge would've won it

Saying that their keeper made 3 world class saves.

Akpo coming on again made a difference, runs at them and causes problems a bit like Ayinsah does, just a shame Akpo doesn't have a better first touch.

Martin always has his head down, has skill but seems to always try too much which is a little frustrating, still think he is useful for the side.

Semedo going off lifted Racon, Racon basically got us the equaliser with his run and cross. Another good display from him, think he is liking the Racon chants and feeling loved ;-)

Bristol had a few chances, Hoskins looked dangerous for them and nearly won them the game.

Overall I'm disappointed we didn't have the 3 points, we got in alot of dangerous positions but made the wrong choice by either not shooting or not passing to the right man, but 5 wins out of 6 since Brighton, the team looking more solid at the back and more dangerous going forward and with players who aren't featured in the 1st team much looking solid and useful (Akpo,McCormack,Fortune) I'm feeling positive about the rest of our season.
  • Options
    It was pleasing that at the end of the match those that bothered to stay beyond the 85th minute gave the team a decent round of applause and seemed to understand that we played well and maybe if it wasn't for their keeper (who probably had a good game by conserving energy by taking forever over his goal kicks) we'd have got the three points.

As far as he ref goes as I said to Rothko "if the scottish league are looking at bringing in refs from iceland then that one we last night must've come from netto"
  • Options
    Didn't really get going but fair play to the substitutes all having a right go, akpo is a handful and would be dangerous if he knew how to kick a ball properly(and I am serious, he troubled them bigtime)
    If the keepers were swapped the scoreline would have favoured us
    Racon was superb again
    Rovers time wasting was a joke , I thought if they'd pushed onto doherty the result could have been worse , the fella had run himself into the ground
    Wagstaff looked rusty but still had one good run and shot
    Anyway the league is so pony any sort of form will keep us in the hunt for automatics
    10% automatic promotion 75% play off pressure 15 % we'll be in this division next season thinking of restarting target 10k !
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Thought , for us, our crowd were very supportive even when we were losing and that's the least the team deserve after the great run they've been on ......
    And I said after the brighton game give parky till the end of november to show what he can produce and boy has he and the team produced , long may it continue and no time for us to rest on our laurels
    COYR