Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post Match Views CAFC 1 - 1 BRFC

13»

Comments

• Options
    Wasnt a bad game, Martin looked very capable of meeting his man on numerous occassions but as mentioned wants to do a little to much at times but that i what makes him exciting in this league. He does work extremley hard and he puts in a better centre than waggy.

Waggy was of the mark for me 1st half he had 4 good crossing opportunities and failed to beat the first man. He also should have laid off for jackson but instead turned and made for the bye line. He also dissapeared inside a few times behind the midfielder leaving francis with no chance of passing to him.

Benson I still think he holds it up resonably well for a player that not his main role. He done all he had to do last night stick in the net, ok he could have had more but if he finished everytime he had a chance he wouldnt be here.

Racon start well faded and come strong again been a lot better player the last few weeks keep it up.

Pleased to see no panic after we went 1 down and could have one in the end but a point will have to do.

I was a little frustrated with reid on the right and martin on the left looked much better when they reverted
  • Options
    We played better yesterday than against Yeovil.I think the crowd appreciated our football hence the improved support.I like the way we are retaliating when we go behind this year.Also the options from the bench are giving us an impetus for the final third of the match.Racon's penalty area movement and control befit a player of a much higher League.
    The way he went past two players to set up our goal was pure class as whose his goal on Saturday.I hope he keeps this form up.
    Martin can be a bit of a showpony and frustating at times but he definitely posseses more plusses than minuses especially when operating on the right side.Last twenty minutes with Reid ,Sodje Benson and Martin we created chance on chance.
    Francis did give the ball away a few times ,once nearly causing us to concede ,but his defending has improved and his crossing yesterday was excellent.But the turning point yesterday and Saturday was the introduction of a powerful and revitalised Sodje.He was a handful for both defences opening various opportunities for his fellow players.
  • Options
    Interesting for me last night sitting in the far east stand for the first time in many years, courtesy of a free ticket from Colin.

From the other end of the Valley, you can almost feel the groans of despair from the North every time a player mis-controls or makes a minor mistake.

I worry for Tricky Ricky Martin who is far too gifted for this league and gives 100% for us only to get moaned at for "not having a football brain" or "taking on too many players". You can see his confidence dry up as the match progresses and the groans go up in volume.

We can all see that he needs to do the simple stuff sometimes but concerted groaning is not the best way to build player confidence. He has 10 x the talent of Waggy who us a cult hero and he puts in the same effort levels.

Please groan and moan at the regular diet of schoolboy-level hoofball played in the opening games of this season not when a player is trying to introduce some much needed class and talent into this compost heap of a league.

No wonder we do better away from home.

On a positive note, think Oarky must be doing soemthing special to Racon in the dressing room asI have never seen him play like he is at the moment.
  • Options
    The centre forward(9) at Rovers used to play with my sons at Gravesend (John Akindi).
    I thought he would cause a lot more trouble as he is a strong hold up player, and the smaller forward who he partnered looked far more lively and skillfull.

As others have posted, they nicked the lead and then just wanted to time waste, and frustrate us!.

They kicked the ball off at least 6 times the first half from poor passing!

Although we had our chances, and the possession, I though that Rovers were a poor team, and we should have beaten them!.

After saying that they had a couple of chances on the counter so I guess a draw is not the worst outcome!.

I agree that there keeper seemed to make two or three decent saves, but too many times did we shoot/head straight at him!.

They came with little, created even less, and frustrated me even more. I did expect a bit more than we acheived.

I get the impression on here that I am somewhat 'unrealistic' and in a minority by the sounds of it!
  • Options
    I think if we had started the game with the personnel that ended it, we would have probably won by 2 or 3. Rovers timewasted before they scored and it was as much to stop us getting into our stride as anything else. It suceeded to a degree although 2 of their keeper's saves were as good as we are likely to see this season so it is just bad luck to a degree.

I do agree that Martin is easy on the eye and he also works very hard but you watch a move break down because the better option is not taken, then another, then another - you start to see a pattern. There is something in there that has to be opened and I think the coaching staff have to find a way to do it but I think having Sodje with Benson from the start would have been a better bet yesterday with Marting coming on as an impact sub against tiring defenders. Don't think it should be a question of destroying his confidence but maybe he is a little too confident.
  • Options
    Brizzle reminded me of us in early season. Strong defence, hard working midfield with very little imagination and creativity up front. I dont think they were a bad side-they just lacked any flair or style like most of the teams in this league except Brighton.
  • Options
    We were much better, but then Brizzle were hopeless so that was not difficult. I was crying out for Akpo to come on at Half Time. Benson & Martin are just too similar to play together upfront, both small with a lack of power and neither has blistering pace. We had most possession but did not create enough and their keeper made 3 decent saves.

Should have won, and if we had shown the urgency and desire we showed after going 1 down from the start then we would have done.

2 points thrown away.
  • Options
    Cant win them all can you
    i fort that Bristol Rovers defended really well, with there goal kepper having the game of his life
    first time this season weve come from a goal down and did not lose
    if we had joey fort would of been a win
    akpo is looking sharp when he comes on though
  • Options
    Inclined to agree but in the context of 5 wins previously, you have to expect the odd draw. Martin and Benson are not similar but I know what you mean. There is a certain type of threat that Anyinsah and Sodje pose which is to do with their strength and to a degree pace. Benson does better playing alongside one of these. I'm very happy with Benson, after a slow start he has done a great job and is a terrific signing but I'd like to have a longer look at Sodje and Anyinsah together - Maybe it is better to use Sodje against tiring defenders when Joe tires but I have a feeling at this level which has lots of static, slow defenders that they would be too much to handle for many sides. If you have both of them, there is no respite and the game then opens up more for other players.

Understand that it is hard to change a winning team but Luton on Saturday would be a decent opportunity to have a look at this.
  • Options
    Remember Parky had been playing Joe and Martin together until Joe was injured at Peterboro. Martin and Benno worked very well together v the Posh and we won 5 - 1.

So he is aware of both combinations. Sodje also played with Anyinsah v Notts Co and it worked well.

It maybe that he picks different combinations depending on how the other team set up.

On Saturday Martin can't play so expect to see Benson and either JA or AS.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Would love to see JA and AS on Saturday. Like you said, we saw it worked agains Notts County - but how long did we see it for- 10 -12 minutes? This was in a game where we were truely awful - as bad as I can remember - unusual to turn that around but bringing them on did it. A defence that was comfortable were suddenly grateful they were not wearing white shorts! I know circumstances may have contrived to prevent the combination and it is difficult to drop Benson who has been excellent - It's just I want to see more than that tantalising 10 minutes. It might not work so well but it could be a revelation for us.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Remember Parky had been playing Joe and Martin together until Joe was injured at Peterboro. Martin and Benno worked very well together v the Posh and we won 5 - 1.

So he is aware of both combinations. Sodje also played with Anyinsah v Notts Co and it worked well.

It maybe that he picks different combinations depending on how the other team set up.

On Saturday Martin can't play so expect to see Benson and either JA or AS.

I know he scored but I thought benson lookede tired and had lost a bit of sharpness last night and would not mind him sitting on the bench on Saturday with Akpo starting with Joe or if injured Abbot.