Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Vietnam

2»

Comments

• Was the weed any good?
  • [cite]Posted By: Chunes[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: tricky[/cite]I'm in Cambodia at the moment! Had a great time, you get used to the tuk tuk drivers and touts, and most here you can have a bit of a talk or joke with anyway whilst saying no thanks and walking away.

Leaving Cambodia tomorrow though sadly. Didn't manage to get to Vietnam - run out of money!

Whereabouts is Chunes looking after the bar at the beach?!

Serendipity beach in Sihanuokville. I'm gonna be here for a very long time so if anyone's heading this way, drop me a message and I'll be happy to help you out.

Ashtray, I'd almost feel some sympathy for you if you weren't such a blatant WUM.

Living the real Cambodia with the locals then? Hilarious. Another backpacker who thinks he's the man of the world. Give your Beer Chang vest a wash mate, it no doubt stinks!
  • [cite]Posted By: AshTray

Living the real Cambodia with the locals then? Hilarious. Another backpacker who thinks he's the man of the world. Give your Beer Chang vest a wash mate, it no doubt stinks!

Yeah man, scruffy teeshirt, combats and leather flip flops or go hippie style with pony tail and proper jesus creepers! Beard is a must.
  • [cite]Posted By: Floyd Montana[/cite]Each to their own of course, Ash, but you may have just had a run of bad experiences.
    I wouldnt write it off.
    Cambodia is even better, IMO and the people away from the tourist traps are even friendlier.
    But Laos remains my favourite from the many years I lived out that way.

You're right Floyd (and BKK Dave, point taken). I've got off the tourist trail a bit and it's much better. Someone else alluded to the point that irresponsible tourism breeds the kind of shit I've encountered over the past couple of weeks. The whole backpacker thing is in the main, a bunch of spoilt kids bringing a slice of the worst of the west to a foreign environment and throwing money around on 'buckets' and 'tubing' etc. Once you get away from that element you also get clear of the scavengers they attract. Things are looking up, but I still wish I was in Japan!
  • [cite]Posted By: Jayajosh[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: AshTray

Living the real Cambodia with the locals then? Hilarious. Another backpacker who thinks he's the man of the world. Give your Beer Chang vest a wash mate, it no doubt stinks![/cite]
    [cite]

Yeah man, scruffy teeshirt, combats and leather flip flops or go hippie style with pony tail and proper jesus creepers! Beard is a must.[/cite]

Yeah, but make sure the dreads are gone before you land back at heathrow or mummy will go mad!

Explaining the daft tattoo is another matter though! I've seen so many crap tattoos in the past month to have published an ironically amusing coffee table book - Celtic type things and stars are my particular favourites, especially on the shoulder or calf. They should come with a condition that after 10 years you have to go back and get it completed with; "I told you you'd look a twat".
  • [cite]Posted By: AshTray[/cite]

Coming from someone who comes on a football website to cry about how he can't handle a little bit of hassle. Haha! Obviously more a man of the world than you are. As for the real Cambodia, I've been everywhere. Living here, and having actual Cambodian mates, I've learnt more about the country and culture than you've learnt about the specks of paint on your guesthouse wall.
  • [cite]Posted By: Chunes[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: AshTray[/cite]Can totally understand why the USA were worn down to submission in this country and must say they are the most cowardly, bullying, slimliest bunch of ***** I have ever known. But when you 'front them out', which is something i haven't had to do since school, they back down like pussies. Had to walk through 8 of them tonight giving it large as they had guessed whiich alley-way my hotel was down tonight.

Never come here unless you are rich and just want to live on a resort (even then there are so many better places).

Terrible place which is punctuated by the lovely smiles of the minority and so, so, so ruined by the rest.

"Where you go? You want motorbike? Marajuana? Massage? Lady, boom, boom?" Literally every two minutes.

Even the war stuff has been ruined. Don't visit Vietnam.

What's the matter, never been out of Bexleyheath before?

You get that all over Asia. It only bothers you if you let it. I suggest you get out of Ho Chi Minh or wherever the hell you are and go to Ha Long Bay. Or just p*ss off back to Magaluf.

People's experiance's differ, the pro's may out-weigh the cons but it sounds like this fella has had more of his fair share of the cons.
  • bleeding nora can the man not just have a rant without people telling him to piss off?
  • edited November 2010
    [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]bleeding nora can the man not just have a rant without people telling him to piss off?

He called an entire nation of people "cowardly, bullying, slimiest bunch of ****s" he has ever known because of his own, small personal experience. That's not okay.

And then by his own admission, when he gets off the tourist trail, he quite likes Vietnam. Numpty WUM.
  • ok i may have called it wrong.
  • Sponsored links:

• I very much doubt this kid is anywhere near vietnam, more like mummys basement in penge....
  • edited November 2010
    "ACTUAL Cambodian mates", wow, you go tiger!

By the way, this thread is titled Vietnam...Maybe you should start a new thread about how many Cambodian mates you have.
  • edited November 2010
    D'oh
  • I went to Plumstead once. It was 11.15 on a Friday night and I have never met such a binch of aggressive, scruffy ignorant pissheads in my life. I'll never go there again and I advise you all to do the same....and don't get me started on what happened ion Old Compton Street in broad daylight on a Saturday afternoon in July! Well I never!
  • I went to Vietnam once...it was on Call of Duty and I loved it.
  • I'm in Hoi An at the moment having travelled down from Hanoi. Its been great so far and people here seem friendly enough. Although I've just come back from a walk around some back streets where I came across a load of school kids being taught how to take apart an AK47. The guns are still kept in their original russian casing. Heading south tomorrow to Nahn Trann (sp) and then off to Saigon - is this where Ashtray came a cropper with some hooligans?
  • All those who remember the war, they won’t forget what they’ve seen. Destruction of men in their prime, whose average was nineteen.
  • [cite]Posted By: Solidgone[/cite]I'm in Hoi An at the moment having travelled down from Hanoi. Its been great so far and people here seem friendly enough. Although I've just come back from a walk around some back streets where I came across a load of school kids being taught how to take apart an AK47. The guns are still kept in their original russian casing. Heading south tomorrow to Nahn Trann (sp) and then off to Saigon - is this where Ashtray came a cropper with some hooligans?

Hi Solidgone,

I was in a bad place when I started this thread - mentally and literally. Nha Trang was the worst place. My advice is don't walk about alone after 11pm, don't go out in flip flops in case you need to run/fight someone and only take the cash you'll need for the evening. If you do get cornered by the gang or gangs of pimps and their prostitutes you have to 'front them out' (for want of a better expression).

During the day, I would recommend Vinpearl waterpark though. Get a cab to the cable car and pay about $15 for the day. Don't bother about the other crap there; just head for the waterpark. Oh, and take your flip flops up the stairs to the slides with you and put them in your shorts on the way down. Otherwise the metal stairs kill for feet!

Good luck.
  • Thanks for the advice.
  • Sponsored links:

• head to Mui Ne, that place rocked when I was there a few years ago