Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

New Article: Where is your Charlton 'Breaking Point' ?

Comments

• Options
    only go for my mates now although my son loves it, which is great to see, hope he keeps it up
  • Options
    Here is my Charlton breaking point

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSYUPvCDCkM_P7hdOFgTI5QVghufH09wcJvY3EaZifei0QRqcnwBg
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]Here is my Charlton breaking point

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSYUPvCDCkM_P7hdOFgTI5QVghufH09wcJvY3EaZifei0QRqcnwBg

That's rather what I've been thinking.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]only go for my mates now although my son loves it, which is great to see, hope he keeps it up

the thing is son when you start praising francis that will be my breaking point, seriously i love this cl;ub and when we left for selhurst that was like ripping your heart out ,so however bad it gets im sure i could handle it even though i love to go mad from time to time.
  • Options
    Brilliant article, AFKA.

You've adressed eloquently issues that have been niggling/repeating/getting worse and worse in the last 5 years or so. Both in terms of the way the club's been run from the top, to the lack of desire by players (and manager?) who are just there for the wage, right down to our fanbase - a poisonous atmosphere at the valley, and also our bunch of in-bred smallwall wannabees who go away and make us all cringe with our secondmost sung song, the incest song.

For me it (mostly) just hasn't been fun for this period of time. I really and truly thought that at Orient away we were getting some of out Charlton desire back, but no. After everything the club has been through, it just feels like all the good things have been completely destroyed which is such a shame after our amazing story. I am angry at everyone involved in letting/helping this happen.

I do think the ridiculous amount of money players are paid, and the way football has changed has hit us - in terms of not having the Rufus's Robinsons and Stevie Browns. Just watching Choices interview with the latter was upsetting when comparing his stories with the guys who wear the shirt now. However, with the right people at the top, it doesn't *have* to be like this: I look at Blackpool in the prem now, and the manager and players are full of desire and personality, nothing like what we have and whenever I see them have a good result, I just think... THAT SHOULD BE US!!!

Listening to bs/spin from the board and manager has been the norm for some years. The fans are rightly frustrated, and the atmosphere at The Valley is generally horrible. I have been unable to make a lot of games this season cos of work, but it does seem to matter less than it would have seven or eight years ago, that's not cos we were in the Prem, I love aways and some of the grounds in this division more than Bolton, Coventry etc, it's because the players generally don't seem to care.

If it happens, then Dennis Wise would be my breaking point. All I support is a crest with a sword on it, and I'm Charlton for life - but I've felt like that for some time now.

Again - great article. Sad times.
  • Options
    A very thoughtful piece AFKA - many thanks.

As a supporter for over 50 years I don't think that there is a breaking point, but there is a bending point. It all depends on your personal, financial and geographical circumstances, but whatever those circumstances are you will always look first for the Charlton result, read the report of game and, at present, wish for better times.

For you AFKA your life must have changed tremendously with the birth of your twins, you now have conflicting priorities and at such times the little things about Charlton that usually annoy then become major distractions. It is only natural that you question the amount of time and resources that you devote to Charlton, but don't despair as it is just a phase of your life where you will have to make priorities away from professional football.

As for those of you who say your breaking point will be the rumoured arrival for D.Wise - don't be so dramatic, OK he is idiot but if he arrives it won't be for long, with our support our Club is bigger than him and we will survive such minor irritations as D.W. - just look at our history and what we as supporters have achieved to keep the club in existence, one little ex Chelsea weasel can't change that.
  • Options
    Great post. I have always said if a club can't make you cry then your not a real supporter. I support the Football Club and not the overpaid bunch of useless gits we have at the moment. My love of footballers went with jerome Thomas. This jumped up little sod used to be a neighbour of someone I know. He parked his sports cars outside and partied most nights with his mates. His neighbour, not a football fan, asked me how good he was. He was surprised to hear that he spent long periods on the bench, especially as he was splashing the cash. Little twat is doing OK now, but he represents most footballers of a certain type. Gifted but useless in both mind and application.
    Used to worship Derek Hales, I think he was my last hero. These days if a professional footballer moved in next door I would move out.

So in answer, what is the breaking point? Wembley was the pinnacle. Cried like a baby before doing a conga across Blackheath and finally crashing to the floor.

I can still smell the linament from the 60's, remember Derek's goals from the 70's, the move to Palace in the 80's and Wembley play off win in the 90's. Great premiership wins in the 00s and !!!!!!!
    The smell of roasted peanuts, the smell of the programme. The 161a to Charlton and walking through the cemetery. Hopping in at the Sam Bartram. The win at QPR and the win at Palace ( Colin Powell ) - Ray Treacy and Hales goal against Hull. Harry Gregory, Allan Simonesen, Paul Went, Brian Tocknell, Lenny, Bob Curtis, Matt Tees, Lennie, 5/12/92 etc etc.

What is the breaking point? It has to be the club you love. If you want to win, and see great football, go to the Emirates. This is Charlton, This is the Valley.
    This is what it's like and maybe as good as it get's for a while. We will be back.

Must go now, need to cry..........
  • Options
    Ok, some of the best posts we have had on Charlton Life for many a while........

I think many of us have unknowingly been thinking along the same lines....many are near to breaking point, some wont break, some already have......

We cannot go on as things stand....its obvious people have been leaving in droves

So, Charlton Life people, a question for you one and all.........

What can we do about it and when shall we start?
  • Options
    You were madly in love with your wife, several years ago she was an absolute stunner, but recently she’s started to let herself go after a traumatic period in her life. She has become sloppy around the home whereas before she was houseproud, dosses around in trackies, there seems to be no empathy between us anymore, and she takes no pleasure in doing the simple things that used to amuse us. We no longer share the same values and her ambitions aren’t set very high. But annoyingly she occasionally gets dressed up for a night out and rekindles your feelings for her, although this is often a false dawn as she proceeds to get pissed and her behaviour embarrasses you. Should you leave her and get on with your life? Should you confront her with some home truths? Or should you continue to love her, in sicknes and in health, till death do us part?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: harveys gardener[/cite]You were madly in love with your wife, several years ago she was an absolute stunner, but recently she’s started to let herself go after a traumatic period in her life. She has become sloppy around the home whereas before she was houseproud, dosses around in trackies, there seems to be no empathy between us anymore, and she takes no pleasure in doing the simple things that used to amuse us. We no longer share the same values and her ambitions aren’t set very high. But annoyingly she occasionally gets dressed up for a night out and rekindles your feelings for her, although this is often a false dawn as she proceeds to get pissed and her behaviour embarrasses you. Should you leave her and get on with your life? Should you confront her with some home truths? Or should you continue to love her, in sicknes and in health, till death do us part?
    Lol
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: harveys gardener[/cite]You were madly in love with your wife, several years ago she was an absolute stunner, but recently she’s started to let herself go after a traumatic period in her life. She has become sloppy around the home whereas before she was houseproud, dosses around in trackies, there seems to be no empathy between us anymore, and she takes no pleasure in doing the simple things that used to amuse us. We no longer share the same values and her ambitions aren’t set very high. But annoyingly she occasionally gets dressed up for a night out and rekindles your feelings for her, although this is often a false dawn as she proceeds to get pissed and her behaviour embarrasses you. Should you leave her and get on with your life? Should you confront her with some home truths? Or should you continue to love her, in sicknes and in health, till death do us part?

Speak for yourself.

My wife looks like she chases parked cars and was pushed down the stairs with her hands in her pockets
  • Options
    I too have a tear in my eye as I post this, masicat. Not for the first time , and most definitely, not the last.

The old adage of " supporting Charlton is like being on a rollercoaster " is SO true. But isn't that why we love our Club so much ?

Imagine being a Gooner or a Manurer...plastic or otherwise. How deadly dull would that be ? Even at their lowest ebbs, these clubs manage to pull themselves out of the approaching mire by their purse strings , or merely by their largesse when it come to dealings with the sweet FA.

Not so Charlton. We have to fight for every victory, whether it be on or off the pitch. That's what we do. Or have done until now ...?

Tel's question is a profound one indeed. Can "we" do anything about the malaise that's slowly ( but gathering momentum ?) spreading among Addicks ?

All I will say is that I can't forsee the day when I'll reach the breaking point that AFKA eloquently writes about. Charlton 'til I die" is engraved on my heart . But, and sadly there is a but, as others have stated, I too have become less excited about the matchday experience of late. I used to ready myself for the game with butterflies buzzing in my belly and with eager anticipation of the 90 minutes ahead. It was "my birthday" EVERY matchday IYKWIM, and Charlton was the best present anyone could give me.

Alas, as in life, those "birthdays" are ones which now fill me with trepidation. The buzz is till there, but it's a single bee rather than a hive full. And it saddens me to some degree that this light of my life is dimming.

What happens ( or fails to happen ) on the pitch is a huge part of the reason why. Apart from being there, shouting, singing, clapping, I can't influence that aspect of the problem. Hopefully, new owners and a fresh approach will go a long way to solving that part of the frustrating equation, in time. But is success and hopefully, promotion, the only factor here ? Maybe it will take a Charlton "name", returning to the fold as a catalyst to re-ignite that spark we seem to be missing....Lennie, Curbs, Chris Powell, Peter Varney ? Answers on a pc, please.....

All I'm sure of is that , IF that happens, I'll be there , God willing. The journey so far has been full of ups & downs, smiles & tears but it's one I don't want to end .
  • Options
    Love the post, harveys gardener !

But isn't it Marge Proops you should be asking ?
  • Options
    Some of us will never leave. We don't know any different and we have never been anywhere else anyway. We don't go down the Valley for success, or to watch good football. If that is all that matters, then why is anyone at Luton, Halifax or Darlington? The premiership days were great, but believe me, fast forward a few years and we will be looking down on Wigan and Blackpool. That's the way it works, that is the natural order of things. Football changes very quickly, Curbishleys biggest win was Stockport away for many reasons. Parkinsons could be Hartlepool, who knows?
  • Options
    "there'll always be a charlton, a charlton team for me, as long as charlton means to you what charlton means to me"
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    This has to be one of my all time favourite threads........some deep emotion/feelings laid bare, and, as usual, tinged with good humour, fond memories of bygone days and hope for the future. I wont repeat all I said (thank god I hear you cry!!) on my earlier posting, but as many others have said "there is a future and we will want to be part of it. CAFC is in our blood, sometimes we may need to 'vent' the toxins that goes around our veins, but eventually we get up and go again. Perhaps the 'takeover' is the detox we all need...........only time will tell....but I for one will continue to be upset if we lose, happy if we win and look forward to the next match where I can tune in and add to the match thread.....its in my blood!!
    Perhaps I'm the eternal optimist, I dont like where we are as a team or a club....but as I did say earlier....we WILL win through.
  • Options
    Like you AFKA I now am finding it hard to muster the enthusiasm I once had. After the game on Sunday both my wife and Mum said if it didn't get any better, this would be their last season as ST holders after 10 years. I found it very hard to argue. On Tuesday I only tuned into the game with 25 mins. to go fully expecting us to be 4 or 5 down and then had to sit through another 30 minutes of sh**e. I havn't lost my enthusiasm for the club just hate the way we have had no backbone on the pitch for the past 3 or 4 seasons. It really is starting to get to me.
  • Options
    I don't think Wise will be taking over the club despite the runours but if he did - he might not be likable but he isn't Adolf Hitler - that certainly wouldn't be my tipping point. Strangely enough, the main tipping point I can forsee would be the club becoming successful and losing it's link with the fans. there certainly was a time when it felt we were all pulling in the same direction where as we undermine and snipe at each other much more now. I have watched football and Charlton long enough to know that a) there will probably be more dispointments than successes and b) there will be succesful seasons to come - We could be at the start of a positive period now or at a false dawn.

I suppose Iget angriest when I predict what will happen and it does. Like I could see there was no goals in the team picked on Tuesday before we started. One thing is for sure- It has been pretty depressing supporting this great club of ours over recent years. Maybe things will change for the better sooner rather than later - but they will surely change - I do know that - just don't know when.
  • Options
    if you looked on a Millwall board 2 years ago they were all slitting their wrists. I don't have a tipping point but i'll bloody well moan if i don't like or agree with something - at the right times of course.
  • Options
    the thing is not to expect anything from charlton,my brother who no longer goes said that,and it does help,they will let you down in the derby with millwall they will never ever have a cup run and most of the time they will lose when you expect them to,take joy in the wins playing smaller clubs and the fact you meet great people down the valley,but this club is no rollercoaster it does what it says on the tin.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    One of the best threads ever on Charlton Life ... been great reading through all of this. I've been supporting and following Charlton since the 60's with my real high coming in the early 70's to the early 80's when I hardly ever missed a home game, missed very few away games, and even had quite a few seasons attending all the games including cups and friendlies. Hanging by the side of my desk at home there is a pennant from the Sahara Beach Soccer Tournament in which Charlton paricipated in Tunisia in 1975 just to remind me how far I used to go to follow my team.

My kids were born in 1982 and 1984 and for quite a few years I had little chance to get to see Charlton ... parenting responsibilities and lack of finance looking after a family and juggling a mortgage whilst working every hour possible meant I had different priorities. But Charlton remained my team and I devoured every written word and loved each and every one of our fanzines, VOTV, Goodbye Horse, etc etc.

While they were at primary school my kids used to get complementary tickets to Charlton on occasion, and I also started to return. By the mid-90's my wife was also attending on a regular basis and we purchased 3 season tickets, the only exception being my daughter who only attended every now and again.

Of course, we all went to Wembley for the greatest game of all time and I'm sure my love for Charlton was fully complete on that day ... I have possibly never felt as ecstatic as I did that day. I so looked forward to the Premiership and loved every minute of it. When we returned again after relegation, it was still good but after a few years, a feeling of 'pissed-offness' began to infect me ... in a number of games I used to get the impression that some of the playres didn't care ... after all, they were all rich so why worry? Were the benefits of the Charlton video that Curbs insisted on showing all new players wearing off?

Whatever the reason, it was probably only affected by the malaise that seemed to be seeping throughout football ... it had become truly a money game ... and that was probably the closest I ever came to break-point.

But I didn't ... and my son and I still have a season ticket ... and he now attends more away games than me.

But I do feel there is something 'rotten' at the Valley ... and it is on the 'terraces' that I feel it ... as others have said above, there is no fun anymore. More supporters than ever appear to be spiteful, vindictive, hateful .... and totally unforgiving.

And the new 'Yoof' with their Smallwall mentality have no clue what it means to be Charlton ... if they ever went through what many of us did in the 60's, 70's, and 80's at away games, and met some of the mobs that we were often forced to confront, they would run a mile.

Anyway, back to AFKA's point .. where is my breaking point? I truly believe I don't have one ... I will take everything this club throws at me ... because it is not their club ... IT IS MY CLUB.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]But I do feel there is something 'rotten' at the Valley ... and it is on the 'terraces' that I feel it ... as others have said above, there is no fun anymore. More supporters than ever appear to be spiteful, vindictive, hateful .... and totally unforgiving.

Every so often I raise this very same point .....and frequently get shouted down by some posters who say all I do is "blame the fans".

I don't know whether it's a modern malaise of society - but whatever, it has now manifested in the most poisonous atmosphere that frequently makes watching a match at The Valley a miserable and cringeworthy experience.

Time and time again, opposition managers say something on the lines of, "if we can frustrate Charlton for 20 minutes, then their crowd will turn against them". For crying out loud, which team are we supposed to be supporting?

The team are not perfect, they are Third Division players playing in the Third Division.

Whatever you think of our present players, whether they are inadequate or overpaid, one thing is apparent ....... they do not relish playing at home. They appear inhibited, afraid to make a mistake or take a risk.

The poisonous atmosphere has massively contributed to that. And it's those of us who, as Stonemuse has said, "..... ever appear to be spiteful, vindictive, hateful .... and totally unforgiving", who create this poisonous atmosphere.

And before anyone says, "Yeah, blame the fans", perhaps we should each one of us look at our own contribution to the matchday atmosphere.
  • Options
    Oggy, you are spot on mate. There is a poisonous atmosphere at the Valley these days. Too many people come to games now just to vent the frustrations of their day to day lives on the team and/or manager. It used to be great escapism but it is getting harder & harder to enjoy it anymore. What is wrong with people that makes them want to pay substantial sums of money to then just shout foul mouthed abuse at other people? Modern society has got a lot to answer for.
  • Options
    Sometimes the fans deserve something back and we have bereft of that over the last 2 years, there has been many an occasion where the fans have been in fine voice only to be served up absolute shite. the spiteful and vindictive side of what is witnessed on the terrace is deeper than abuse to the players at Swindon last year i had people around me that where just vile the same as at scunny the year before with Tel and Nss it's not aimed at the players it racist its foul and its not suited to bringing children near.

The booing of the team in my opinion is justified at the end of any game if you are unsatisfied with what you have seen.

the filth and hatred that gets spouted is nt acceptable in any walk of life in any place.

The players need to give the fans something in the first 20-25 mins especially at home, it doesnt have to be goals iut needs to be spirit ability and endeavour when was the last time that was witnessed at home.

take the last 2 games a conference team who didnt kick us off the park they played us off the park and then the Walsall shambles no one went there to boo no onme went there to be disgusted at the performance they went there to support their team who over the last 3-4 seasons have let them down horrendously.

I have issues with the Racism and the HIV chants the filthy comments about our players living in trees , i didnt rate mooney that much but he was subjected to piss poor treatment that went past comments about his ability.

The stewards and club have not done enough to find the culprits and deal with them there is a nasty element to it

i dont mind the fans that are fearless and will offer an element of edge to support we have had our share of hoolies through the years but this is different and not welcome imo
  • Options
    This is a great thread and we all have our own Charlton stories. I'm been following Charlton since I fell in love with the club back in 1961 as a young whippersnapper when I was taken to my first game. Absolutely and totally fell in love from that moment onwards. No other team has ever done anything for me. Charlton it is. FULL STOP. I love them but, God, am I frustrated at the moment. The performances have been dire, dire, dire now for 4 or 5 years. And it's nothing to do with the fact we're playing in a lower division but the performances have been abysmal. There is a malaise about which I don't understand and, if people feel anything like me, this will take it's toll. People will say ' how much more of this do I want to take?'. People don't want to lose that passion but, sometimes, you just have to for your own self preservation, otherwise you'll just start going bonkers. This isn't the first time this has happened down at Charlton. I can imagine it was the same as this from the 1957 period through the 60's and 70's when the attendances just whittled away. I like to feel that the club is being run better now but we certainly need our talisman to turn things around. That is what we are craving for and, until that happens, this malaise will continue. All we can hope for is that, soon, things start to turn around, performances start to consistently improve, we do start climbing back up the league and we do start being competitive again. This will happen but the question is, when?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]But I do feel there is something 'rotten' at the Valley ... and it is on the 'terraces' that I feel it ... as others have said above, there is no fun anymore. More supporters than ever appear to be spiteful, vindictive, hateful .... and totally unforgiving.

Every so often I raise this very same point .....and frequently get shouted down by some posters who say all I do is "blame the fans".

I don't know whether it's a modern malaise of society - but whatever, it has now manifested in the most poisonous atmosphere that frequently makes watching a match at The Valley a miserable and cringeworthy experience.

Time and time again, opposition managers say something on the lines of, "if we can frustrate Charlton for 20 minutes, thentheir crowd will turn against them". For crying out loud, which team are we supposed to be supporting?

This is just what I suspect too, Oggy. I've been to load of away games where the team seems free, fluent and happy to play. At the Valley (not been this year yet, sorry, sorry, sorry) the team APPEARS - from what I read and hear on the radio and see on the box to be more unhappy and dispirited. I was thinking of going up for the Plymouth tieand Swindon to celebrate the New Year - but I ain't sure. :(

Not to take this excellent thread away from the general feeling of optimism and love of the Addicks!!

The team are not perfect, they are Third Division players playing in the Third Division.

Whatever you think of our present players, whether they are inadequate or overpaid, one thing is apparent ....... theydo not relish playing at home. They appear inhibited, afraid to make a mistake or take a risk.

The poisonous atmosphere has massively contributed to that. And it's those of us who, as Stonemuse has said,"..... ever appear to be spiteful, vindictive, hateful .... and totally unforgiving",who create this poisonous atmosphere.

And before anyone says, "Yeah, blame the fans", perhaps we should each one of us look at our own contribution to the matchday atmosphere.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Well said, NLA.

Oggy - you're a good man. But I cringed when I read yet another post from you blaming the fans.

Especially one that begins: ''Every so often I raise this very same point .....and frequently get shouted down by some posters who say all I do is "blame the fans".

I wonder why people would say that. Have you considered the possibility that it's because that's exactly what you do at every possible opportunity?

There are some absolute bloody idiots at the Valley. Especially in the North Stand. Personally, I wouldn't sit there if you paid me.

BUT THESE PEOPLE ARE NOT THE REASON CAFC IS IN DIVISION THREE AND IT'S RIDICULOUS TO PRETEND THAT THEY ARE.

Neither are these berks the reason so many good Charlton supporters in this thread with hundreds of years of loyalty between them are so pissed off. The rotten behaviour and stupid actions that have reduced us to the hollow, souless entity we are today has taken place in the boardroom and on the pitch, not on what we fondly used to call the terraces.

When I started going in the 1960s, you'd get your head kicked in by skinheads and the tiny handful of black players in the game used to get monkey taunts and banana skins thrown at them. So don't try to tell me that the morons in the north stand today are any worse than their counterparts in your golden age of 40 and more years ago.

I hated what they did then. I remember going to a friendly between Welling and West Ham in 1968/69 and the treatment meted out to Clyde Best from the terraces so sickened me that I actually didn't got to another game for several seasons.

And I hate the abusive songs and booing now. So don't lecture me about the bahviour of fans.

But how on earth can you possibly suggest that the main thing wrong with CAFC is the bloody supporters? It's like when people in the Labour Party said after losing four consecutive general elections that the people who were at fault were the voters!

I find your attitude so misguided and infurating that i'm going to stop before I get really pissed off.
  • Options
    A superb read, comments reasoned and with a sense of perspective (the old Charlton base?!). The club is different, although I was lucky to start supporting from 85 as a nipper just before we left our home. I then travelled to the two graveyards for the approaching years, with that 'walk' sandwiched in between. I've only ever known the battle.

I enjoyed the glory years of that there is no doubt.

A first child soon forced a change in focus for 3 years, perhaps this was the break needed, as from my perspective I’ve come back to what I know, a club trying to rediscover itself and I for one is still enjoying it. The team is currently finding its way, and some fans are completely different to what I knew, and not always in a positive way. BUT..... reading this thread makes me realise the 'great' core is still around and upholding what we all know is Charlton.

The big thing is change, in us, our club and the world. Some good, some bad, but most people still have the club at heart and this forum is proof of that.

Well done AFKA, and the guys that run the forum. Don't Stop.
  • Options
    Sorry but please don't be so spiteful to Oggy.

He has a valid point regarding the supporters as that too has added to the terrible atmosphere, general tense feeling and poor performances. It's not the one and only thing but it does add to the whole problem facing Charlton now.

Players always talk about the 12th Man, so there must be something in it.

I had my breaking point on Sunday. I had to move in the second half or I would have done something I would have regretted and probably got myself thrown out.

I HATE the blokes behind me. I WILL be taking my ipod with me on Boxing Day as I don't think I can bare to listen to the pure poison that comes out of their mouths. I SHALL be moving seats next season.

It doesn't help that my brother is no longer with me on match days. I don't blame him for going into the rafters as its what he loves. But not having my Dad there and now not having him there too.........it's just not right.

I love you Charlton but some of the supporters I couldn't give a fig about.

Isn't that awful :-(
  • Options
    Kb I agree to an extent and I like Oggster he is a great guy.

But there has to be a point that the players the manager give something back especially at home. There is some real racist nasty foul mouthed pieces of work within our club.

And they are the problem in my opinion.