Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

New Article: Where is your Charlton 'Breaking Point' ?

1235»

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Saga Lout[/cite]Off-it, I don't want to feel like I'm a mug and I like to think, like you, that we've been treated pretty well, but you can't deny that they've used some tricks to get the money in.

They offered incentives, I wouldn't call them tricks. Like any business you do what you can to maximise revenues - but the season ticket offers were genuine. It's not as if they deliberately didn't go up just so they didn't have to pay up.

I wonder what their ambitions for the team were at the time of the free season ticket offer - I seem to remember the sale of some important players after the offer had ended. I am a grumpy old cynic, I admit.
  • Options
    I tell you what it's bloody boring when they are not playing!!
  • Options
    Possibly tonight.
  • Options
    I think I've had enough after tonight, yes the performance was awful, the manager seems clueless, we've lost that fighting spirit but I think I can cope with that to some extent, what I cannot cope with is the mentality of so many of our "supporters."
    The matchday experience just seems to compromise of endless bouts of depression, anger and down right dangerous behaviour such as the throwing of coins. I am a season ticket holder but am finding it hard to recall a game that I have really enjoyed. I am NOT saying for a moment that we are in div. 3 because of the fans, but for me, my fellow supporters are ruining the game.

The Valley atmosphere has definetly changed for the worse. For too many moments during tonights game against Swindon I could close my eyes and genuinly believe I was at The Den.

Oh I'd like to mention that I'm 16 years old and that not all of the youth are mindless idiots that feel the need to call Parky a c*** every game, that's just a small group of 'wannabe' hooligans that can be found at the back of the block that I'm unfortunatly stuck in for the rest of the season.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: J-Block Hig[/cite]I think I've had enough after tonight, yes the performance was awful, the manager seems clueless, we've lost that fighting spirit but I think I can cope with that to some extent, what I cannot cope with is the mentality of so many of our "supporters."
    The matchday experience just seems to compromise of endless bouts of depression, anger and down right dangerous behaviour such as the throwing of coins. I am a season ticket holder but am finding it hard to recall a game that I have really enjoyed. I am NOT saying for a moment that we are in div. 3 because of the fans, but for me, my fellow supporters are ruining the game.

The Valley atmosphere has definetly changed for the worse. For too many moments during tonights game against Swindon I could close my eyes and genuinly believe I was at The Den.

Oh I'd like to mention that I'm 16 years old and that not all of the youth are mindless idiots that feel the need to call Parky a c*** every game, that's just a small group of 'wannabe' hooligans that can be found at the back of the block that I'm unfortunatly stuck in for the rest of the season.

join in with them - the quicker he goes, the quicker you'll start enjoying it.
  • Options
    My son turned to me after their third goal tonight and said, "Daddy, I want to go home". That's not a good feeling, I can tell you.
  • Options
    Of all the posts I've read tonight, that's the most depressing. Can't say any more!
  • Options
    hope you replied in true sergeant bourne style offy...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: March51[/cite]Of all the posts I've read tonight, that's the most depressing. Can't say any more!
    Agree with you there, what did you say to your son Off_it?
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]My son turned to me after their third goal tonight and said, "Daddy, I want to go home". That's not a good feeling, I can tell you.

My son said that to me so many times during Pardew's reign... He's only ever seen the failure years... He can take it or leave it now, mainly leaves it...
    I could write a book on this terrific "breaking point" thread...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I did what any self-respecting and caring father would do - I made him stay.

Until the fourth that is - then I'd had enough myself. Poor little sod was shivvering all the way to the car.

Funny thing was, we heard Abbot's goal and he turns to me and says "maybe he will score a hat-trik?".

Ah, the innocence of youth.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: March51[/cite]Of all the posts I've read tonight, that's the most depressing. Can't say any more!

bit dramatic - my son says that to me most games but is always chomping at the bit for the next match - in fact, he said it today but i ignored him and he still came in and watched the hilights on tv - maybe he's mad?
  • Options
    i told him to call me when the bit where abbot air shot / misses the ball comes up and he said which one? i said the worst one and we thoroughly enjoyed laughing at it again - thats what it is now - its laughable - i can't get worked up about it any more.
  • Options
    If it wasn't for me still being exited and optimistic post takeover I think tonight might just have been my breaking point. For a while at least.
  • Options
    I had 4 missed phone calls on my phone tonight , from the missus who taken the kids out after we'd let in the 4th , my son wanted to leave to do his homework , thats how bad it was , i can't believe i stayed because i lived ( foolishly i know) in hope that we would buck our ideas up and have a comeback , we've got an unwritten rule that if we go behind by 3 goals behind were off , i asked them if we could up it to 5 for the Spurs game , perversly they said we would stay if we were 9-0 down because were gonna get beat anyway???
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: J-Block Hig[/cite]I think I've had enough after tonight, yes the performance was awful, the manager seems clueless, we've lost that fighting spirit but I think I can cope with that to some extent, what I cannot cope with is the mentality of so many of our "supporters."

The truth is that football was always a sport that followed by men, and the most fanatacital supporters are those that are going to show more passion (both good and bad) at matches. The 'middle classes' that came along to see what all the fuss was about when we were in the Premier League have probably all gone now.

Millwall have been languishing in then lower leagues for a large proportion of their history so they have a larger proportion of the fanatics than we have had. The difference between the behaviour of their fans and ours was always going to reduce as we were relegated from money bags Premier League to the Third Division.

There are, actually, very few clubs that could be relegated twice in four years and have such a reduction of the quality on show and not have more abuse and anger than we see at The Valley.
  • Options
    I left as soon as their 3rd goal hit the back of the net last night.....i think i've found that breaking point but then again..

My little boy who lives in Wales watched the game on TV and when he phoned me asked me why we were so rubbish and would i still take him to the games when he comes down again at least he's not given up....yet.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Anyone else want to disown their comments in this thread after today's news?

I know I do. Today is my Charlton mending-point. The most euphoric I've felt as a Chalrton fan in 4/5 years....