Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Help Wanted Clearing Snow at The Valley

edited December 2010 in General Charlton
http://www.cafctv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10267~2249631,00.html
Snow clearing at 11.00am.
I'll be there with shovel :-)

Comments

• Options
    Will be working but surely the blades of the giant helicopter which will be arriving before the match with the new consortium inside will just sweep away any snow in and around the ground.

Can't believe Senior Management at the club haven't thought of this already.
  • Options
    Sums the club up really
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Mendonca In Asdas[/cite]Sums the club up really

... meaning what?
  • Options

sigh
  • Options
    Tell me that wise is'nt going to be involved with us in the near future and ill think about it. No way im working my nuts off so that little turd dont fall on his ars!
  • Options

That comment says more about you than the club
  • Options
    Sums the club up really

That could also be a positive comment, sums the club up how we are a family club.
    Just a thought.
  • Options

Agreed! A unique bond between club and fans which extends to helping the club out at times of need, responded to by true supporters - good call
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Macronate[/cite]Will be working but surely the blades of the giant helicopter which will be arriving before the match with the new consortium inside will just sweep away any snow in and around the ground.

Can't believe Senior Management at the club haven't thought of this already.
    [cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]

... meaning what?

I think he was joking re the comment above ?
  • Options
    Well I dont actually have a shovel to take down there (so going to have to use there's), but will still be there to help.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    dont forget to take your red cards. then you get 1st dibs on the 3,600 rochdale tickets.
  • Options
    About 50 people down there, well done all
  • Options
    Well done all, was there much to clear, was it badly frozen underneath? Did you go AFKA?
  • Options
    I reckon there was about 30 people I saw. I was with a team that cleared the area for away fans (2000 or so I was told), some of the ice just outside was a bugger, but hopefully will be fully gone. The pitch was about a third covered at the Jimmy Seed end, and a tractor with a scraper was taking off the ice/snow from the rest of the pitch, the idea was to cover it.The feeling was the pitch may well be OK if covered and we don't go down to minus four, the ref , Andy D'urso will be inspecting mid morning tomorrow. The vibe was good, all were given a lunch of sausage and chips and beans (just chips and beans for me, tho a cheese and onion thingy was offered to be fair...but not being a great fan of onions I left it...being a veggie who isn't keen on onions is a bugger!)
    There was vague talk of the takeover being announced today, and an ITV crew complete with van was there. I thought it was to film the clearing up, but I don't think so...and then I heard they were there to make an item about a drunk football fan(!?), so I really don't know what they were up to at all.
    All the staff were very friendly, myself and paddy p17 had to leave after lunch, but I think the groundstaff were hoping to then (with help) trolley the pitchside snow out to the further reaches of the car park before covering the pitch.
    Amazingly the pitch when cleared looked remarkably good, Paddy Powell was out there organizing everything...if the match is postponed it won't be because Charlton couldn't be bothered.
    If you go on Sunday watch your step on surrounding streets, as even little dabs of ice are stubborn and very slippery.
  • Options
    We spent two hours clearing some snow and mainly ice from the steps and walkway behind the East Stand at Lansdowne Mews - a daunting task to start with, but helped by the arrival of rock-salt around mid-day. Plenty going on when ITV news cameraman arrive, but he requested 'posed' scenes, as if people shovelling an sweeping for real wasn't 'enough'!!
    Quick census on arrival revealed mainly Upper North chaps, with a couple of us Lower West folk to give an age balance :-)
    Paddy is optimistic - council have even agreed to grit surrounding roads Sunday morning if necessary. -4 forecast for Saturday night, but +2 for Sunday morning, so fingers crossed!
    Thanks to CAFC for laying on pie/chips/beans lunch!!
  • Options
    Well done to everyone, that helped out!

What sums up the club to me! great bunch of supporters.

Sorry I could not make it!. I ill do my shift next time! promise.

I am sure the club appreciate the effort made by all.
  • Options
    Spot on ken, sure there would have been many more there if not 2 days away from xmas day. Good work guys and gals and CAFC for looking after them.
  • Options
    A good laugh, nice to be a part of it all and being allowed to clear the snow of the pitch was a good feeling also.
  • Options
    Hope it's not in vain. Latest forecast has minimum temperature for Chrismas night at -6 and that will mean a frozen pitch. Maximum temp on Boxing Day is 0.

However, it does keep changing, so who knows.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well done to all who took part , i hope for your sakes the match goes ahead , and i hope the players repay you by getting 3 points!

I would have loved to have gone , but am unable to take take time off at this time of year ( no i don't deliver presents!) moving snow is knackering work , i did it at work for a day clearing the carpark , and had a blinding headache the next day ( unfortunately it wasn't due to Boddingtons).
  • Options
    Just got back....bloody good effort from the hardy 40-50 who came and went throughout the day....I know who Seth Plum and Paddy are now.....lol

One special mention for the youngsters who turned up.....proud of you boys, well done....the "proper" Charlton of the future

I was with the south stand team and discovered another Aussie supporter....good on ya mate if you read this.

Nice spot of lunch and a bit of a laugh with the ground staff when we were re-covering the pitch......one of which offered us season tickets for Selhurst.....I asked him how big his arse was....

Nice one by Steve Kavanagh coming to thank everyone at lunch and John the safety bloke who pitched in at the end as we cleared all the snow in front of the west stand.
  • Options
    Well done to all who turned up. Apologies for my absence, but I had something else I had to do today.
  • Options
    The crowd surge toward the Covered End...
  • Options
    all tucked up for the night.....its all down to the pitch now...assuming it doesnt snow again
  • Options
    London Tonight quick................you might be on telly
  • Options
    nah I didnt see any cameras....had a chat with the satellite bloke....he said something about there was an interview about a drunken fan, but then said it wasnt a "bad" interview
  • Options
    i was on london tonight when 3 of us lifting the wheel borrow to empty the snow

have to admit brill turn out from everyone who turnt up from what colin said to me.The Game will be on from looking at the pitch now all the covers are on and the snow is off just to make sure were blowing the heaters under the covers tomorrow morning but the game should be on depending on the weather.

Also the people who stayed right till the end clear that big lump of snow well done to you lot if it wernt for you lot helping us then we would of been their for quiet sometime haha

Valley Faithful :)
  • Options
    "proper Charlton " stay to the bitter end....

lol....I didnt see a single camera anywhere today.....
  • Options
    I suppose asking some of the squad to help (as a form of excercise) would have been too much to ask?