Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Richard Murray Testimonial.

edited December 2010 in General Charlton
If he should leave soon.
What do you think about a testimonial game for him?

Comments

• Options
    Great idea
  • Options
    I'm sure Dennis Wise will be able to sort something out with one of his old clubs :-)

Seriously, an excellent idea.
  • Options
    Are we just getting ahead of ourselves just a little bit here ?
  • Options
    Wise this, wise that! HOPE NOT!
  • Options
    Richard should have a stand named after him and a statue like Bartram if he does leave us the man for all his faults and mistakes that he may have made in the last few years has achieved real great things and made huge personal sacrifices to keep us afloat.

nothing but real respect for the man from me a great chairman and an honourable man
  • Options
    A thank you dinner would be appropriate.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    No thanks.

Think he has done a lot of great things for the club, a lot to be thankful for, but he equally made a lot of mistakes that have had serious repercussions, and has always come out with his reputation in tact. On balance, I think he is a very very lucky man that he is so well regarded and trusted by what seems to be the majority of the fanbase. I like the guy, would happily buy him a drink, but I think he says what he thinks people want to hear too much and I stopped trusting him and what he says 1-2 years ago, as some things didn't stack up.

I strongly suspect he will stay on in some capacity, probably the same as now, and I can't work out whether that's for the best or not. Sepends of who the new owners I suppose, though I'm starting to form the impression we are not going to learn who they fully are even if it concludes.
  • Options
    As we don't know the outcome yet, this is a bit premature I feel.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]No thanks.

Think he has done a lot of great things for the club, a lot to be thankful for, but he equally made a lot of mistakes that have had serious repercussions, and has always come out with his reputation in tact. On balance, I think he is a very very lucky man that he is so well regarded and trusted by what seems to be the majority of the fanbase. I like the guy, would happily buy him a drink, but I think he says what he thinks people want to hear too much and I stopped trusting him and what he says 1-2 years ago, as some things didn't stack up.

I strongly suspect he will stay on in some capacity, probably the same as now, and I can't work out whether that's for the best or not. Sepends of who the new owners I suppose, though I'm starting to form the impression we are not going to learn who they fully are even if it concludes.

disagree mate

yes he has made mistakes but he has virtually single handedly made sure that the club has not gone down the easy route and admin, he took us to the promised land and kept us there for a fair while we lived the preverbial dream for a good few seasons mixing it with the best in the land and beating some of the best in europe.

yes it went tits and the wheels fell off

but he has done his level best to ensure that the club remained intact with only collaterol damage.

his generosity earlier this season created a platform for us to start the rebuilding this season and has put us on a platform to return to a higher level, everytime i walk in the ground and look around i still feel proud of the achievments since 92
  • Options
    My gut feeling agrees with NLA on this one.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good post AFKA, as Charlton fans it always seems we have rosier tinted specs than others and seem to forget the bad things some of favourites have done in the past so it is a brave man who posts what you did. I agree with you up to a point but personally Murray's achievements outweigh his mistakes so for me when he does leave (whether that is soon after a potential takeover or some other point in the future) I would like to see something to thank the man.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]
    disagree mate

his generosity earlier this season created a platform for us to start the rebuilding this season

I'm sure most will NLA, as i'm equally sure i'll see things differently to most.

But i don't swallow the 'generosity' angle in any way. He is at the end of the day, a businessman who made a business decision. He has a lot of money tied up in the club and if he is to see a return on any of it, this was the only real avenue to take to ensure that happened. It was a quick tie up and then get out as soon as you can, even the name 'Baton' tells you that. A gamble, most certainly, but by it leading the club into an on paper better position, it equally freed the way for the best outcome for the individual. Was it a decision primarily driven to assist the club, or assist the individual, who knows. And the truth is probably irrelevant.

I'm not saying i have a real problem with any of that, by the way. I'm just saying that if I use your generosity line as an example of my earlier point that he always seems to come out of every situation reputationally enhanced, that what we on the outside see might not always be the full story.
  • Options
    Personally i don't see how a man that pumped millions of his own pounds into the club during a recession and after us missing out on promotion can have a bad word said about him.

He may have made mistakes but they are not worthy of even mentioning as were it not for him, we would be in the sh!t big time. That is all that matters to me.
  • Options
    That makes a lot of sense Dan.

Maybe because its the man who gave me so much I don't see the more cynical or maybe truthful reasons behind his decision this season but what if this falls through what if it didn't pay off I don't reckon anyone associated to the club today could risk losing that much dough.

I may be way off the mark but I can't help but feel where Murray is concerned I am more willing to only try to see the good
  • Options
    I think testimonial is the wrong word, it brings to mind a pay day for hard up footballers of a bygone age. He deserves a day where all and sundry can properly thank him for his efforts though
  • Options
    The point of a testimonial is to reward (usually) a player who has served at least ten years and is put together in order for the recipient to benefit from a tax-free lump sum to "kick-start" a post-sport career. Therefore it would be entirely inappropriate for Richard Murray to receive a testimonial. He does not need the cash!

A dinner, or some other kind of farewell would be great. But I have a feeling we won't be saying goodbye for a while.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Richard Murray is charged with being human.....and we should judge him accordingly.

But Murray, along with Peter Varney, and of course Curbs - was the driving force behind this club for 15 successful years. That should never be forgotten.

Testimonial? No, not really appropiate but agree some mark of recognition.
  • Options
    I don't know if Afka and co have any influence but it would be great if they could get an interview with Murray as a CL exclusive
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    He deserves nothing other than unquestioned respect in my opinion. Yes he made mistakes but I firmly believe he has done everything he could even during the last couple of years to make the right decisions for the club even though they haven't all worked out. I don't think he has done anything sinister in this timeand I will always be grateful to RM. Maybe my glasses are rose-tinted but, much like Curbs, maybe we will only realise what we had once it's gone.
  • Options
    Can we wait and see if we have new ownership by the end of 2010 before we start threads like this, if the deal collapses, (I have no idea to be honest) then the attacks on Murray will start and this thread will look premature. If it goes through, then good
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RM Testimonial squad to face CAFC

Stefan Anderson, Greg Shields, Cory Gibbs, Souley Diawara (Capt), Karim Bagheri,Talal El Khalej, Andy Gray, Tom Soares, Izale McCloud, Leon McKenzie, Dave Mooney

Manager: Dowie
    Coach: Les Reed
    Kit Man: Pardew
    Tea, Coffee etc: Parky

Any suggestions for subs ???
  • Options
    A stand named after him, a testamonial, a dinner, a statue?

For taking us into the promised land.....hang on, I seem to remember that it was Roger Alwen cutting the ribbon, opening the gates, and leading the flock.
  • Options
    What position will he play? Goalie I suppose, so he can save us a few more times. I support the idea of some permanent reminder of what he did for us over a relatively long time and how much money he spent. Very impressive when you realise he came late to football and to Charlton in his life. Perhaps we should wait a while and see who he's sold the club to and how things pan out? The Richard Murray West Stand has a ring to it.
  • Options
    From when he arrived the ground improved but only really as a by product of the success of curbs and IF he departs we leave at a very much lower level
    How did he chose curbs over gritt ?? The answer he got the players to vote between gritt and curbs great decision !
    He sanctioned the purchase of some proper legends at charlton , under curbs , against that he was all too willing/stupid to say yes to dowie and pardew when HE took the decision to lay curbs off early
    He also tried to get cute on buying tim cahill amongst others and didn't listen to curbs
    He was carried by curbs make no mistake about it ........
    I mean naming dowies own coaching squad ffs when turning down the assistance of curbs who wanted to stay on and help with the inbedding of a new manager ......
    The reason we are a laughing stock in football is cos murray chose the clowns since curbs and wasn't strong enough to stand up against their pathetic management
    Lovely bloke and all that but there is no question who is 90% responsible of the dream years and to me that is curbishley and well done murray for having backed him , some of the way .......
  • Options
    edited December 2010
  • Options
    I am expecting that he might remain as Chairman or in some capacity anyway, however the idea has some merit. How about a pre season friendly against ex players, with the proceeds going to Demelza House. It would be great to see a team managed by Curbs including Scott Parker,Darren Bent, Dean Kiley etc.
  • Options
    Nope. Some sort of thanks for what he has done ---yes. However the rest i agree with AFKA, and the way the small share holders were treated still pisses me off.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I'll leave it to the sobering history books to write the assessment of the rise and fall of RM and Charlton, but I'm very much with AFKA in that I lost trust in anything RM said. I don't agree that RM deserves unquestioning support, no one individual should ever be granted that, but neither do I think that the good should be interred with his bones. A period of reflection is needed, let's see how this all pans out, it's far too early to start talking about statues and testimonials.
  • Options
    My gut reaction is no, we started out in the Championship and ended up in League 1. However I'm sure a lot has gone on that we are not aware of and I'm thinking he has held the clubs finances together since we got relegated from the Prem perhaps fighting off demands from other board members to go into admin. So on second thoughts 'yes to a testimonial for Richard Murray' gets my vote.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]No thanks.

Think he has done a lot of great things for the club, a lot to be thankful for, but he equally made a lot of mistakes that have had serious repercussions, and has always come out with his reputation in tact.
    So would we refuse a testimonial to a player that has ever made mistakes? I don't follow the logic. How many players or indeed fans have sunk as much of their personal money into CAFC as Richard Murray? The answer is none.
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]On balance, I think he is a very very lucky man that he is so well regarded and trusted by what seems to be the majority of the fanbase.
    On balance not quite so lucky to be several million down on the deal, but as long as that offer of a pint is there, he'll probably be happy. I'm not sure that a testimonial match is appropriate, but I think this "analysis" greatly undervalues his contribution, and boils it down to such a superficial level that you'd think the bloke wandered in, made a couple of decent calls, a couple of bad ones and wandered off again, which is grossly unfair.