Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Richard Murray Testimonial.

2»

Comments

• Options
    RM testimonial squad to play CAFC

Dean Kiely

Luke Young Richard Rufus Jorge Costa Chris Powell

John Robinson Mark Kinsella Scott Parker Claus Jensen

Clive Mendonca Darren Bent

Manager Alan Curbishley
    Asst Manager Keith Peacock
    Venue The Valley (27,111 affordable seats)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]The point of a testimonial is to reward (usually) a player who has served at least ten years and is put together in order for the recipient to benefit from a tax-free lump sum to "kick-start" a post-sport career. Therefore it would be entirely inappropriate for Richard Murray to receive a testimonial. He does not need the cash!

A dinner, or some other kind of farewell would be great. But I have a feeling we won't be saying goodbye for a while.

I do feel that Chizz hit the nail on the head. The whole concept of testimonials has been overtaken by the culture of greed that now seems to be pervasive amongst modern footballers and their agents.

I have a great deal of time and respect for Mr Murray but think a testimoniaql match would not be an appropriate way to pay our respects. Celebratory dinner? Perhaps. Statur in the main reception? Sure, why not. How about a pre or post match gig?
  • Options
    I still remember steve gritts one v spurs at selhurst pk we won 4-3 that night I was ball boy and Erik thorsvedt rubbed he dirty gloves all over me i'n the tunnel the mug lol
  • Options
    On balance....I think AFKA has it about right...respect to the bloke and thanks, but I think its now time to move on.
  • Options
    "To whom it may concern: I think that Mr Richard Murray would be the ideal candidate for the post of i]insert job title[/i. He is hardworking and conscientious and relishes a challenge. He is a good communicator and can work both as an individual and as part of a team. He is always punctual and has a good attendance record. He possesses a clean driving licence and several other certificates. I hereby recommend him as someone who could do a very good job for you."

There you go, one testimonial. As for a match though, I think not. No offence to Richard, but I'd rather see one for Chris Powell.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rodex[/cite]If he should leave soon.
    What do you think about a testimonial game for him?

Why FFS?

He's shown he's got more money than sense! Why give him more to waste?

Ridiculous suggestion and actually quite embarrassing.
  • Options
    Mr Murray is a supporter and has put much of his own money into the club and at one time it looked like he might never see much of that money back. But the same is true of the other directors and shareholders of the PLC and we know they won't be seeing their funds any time soon. We don't know what Baton's fixed assets are valued at and Mr Murray chose not to send out to shareholders the last annual report as at June 2010 for Charlton Athletic Plc . But as at June 2009 the fixed assets (that is The Valley and training ground, etc) were valued at over £36mn, presumably less whatever is was still owed on the North Stand mortage.
    We may or may not hear how much the new owners pay for the club but somewhere in the region of £30mn would seem reasonable for the fixed assets alone. That would go straight into Mr Murray's pocket with any losses he made presumably being offset against any tax due on profits from his other business activities. So, no, I don't think he should be granted a testimonial.
    Some other form of recognition - perhaps the naming of a stand or one of the hospitality suites - would seem sufficient.
  • Options
    "Ridiculous suggestion and actually quite embarrassing".

I have suggested nothing, to do so would not be wise, I have only asked for your thoughts and in actual fact have not stated that he should or shouldn't have a testimonial.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cafcfan[/cite]Mr Murray is a supporter and has put much of his own money into the club and at one time it looked like he might never see much of that money back. But the same is true of the other directors and shareholders of the PLC and we know they won't be seeing their funds any time soon. We don't know what Baton's fixed assets are valued at and Mr Murray chose not to send out to shareholders the last annual report as at June 2010 for Charlton Athletic Plc . But as at June 2009 the fixed assets (that is The Valley and training ground, etc) were valued at over £36mn, presumably less whatever is was still owed on the North Stand mortage.
    We may or may not hear how much the new owners pay for the club but somewhere in the region of £30mn would seem reasonable for the fixed assets alone. That would go straight into Mr Murray's pocket with any losses he made presumably being offset against any tax due on profits from his other business activities. So, no, I don't think he should be granted a testimonial.
    Some other form of recognition - perhaps the naming of a stand or one of the hospitality suites - would seem sufficient.

Wolves.
  • Options
    It's still not clear whether this is the time to even consider such a thing, but I've been thinking about it.

I'm a bit disappointed by some of the comments here. I don't have all the facts at my disposal but I think RM may actually have lost several million in the course of his time with Charlton. Compare that with various far worse chairmen who made millions (Hall and Shepherd at Newcastle for example). So even if he has made mistakes,and show me a businessman who hasn't. I suspect he has bloody well paid for them. In contrast to others who make off with the loot before the fans have found out.

Roger Alwen didn't have the money to take us forward. Richard Murray was the man who restored the Valley to what it is today, step by sensible step. As for Curbs, that's a story of a management partnership. Curbs was successful because Murray trusted him and backed him, including when he was under fire from fans. Curbs would not have survived the first two years under another chairman. That is what you need to think about. Where would we be now if Richard Murray had not taken control when he did?

Personally I'd like to do something to recognise his achievements, and I've got an idea to float, but first I'll try to get some clearer idea of his financial status vis-a-vis the club. I'd like to be in a position to convince some of the doubters here.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Here's an Idea, why not let him stay on as a director? ;-)