Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pitch inspection at 11.30 (ed. GAME OFF)

Comments

• Options
    the feckas in the carpark oposite makro's ran away fast enough without giving back the 5er i had just paid
  • Options
    The bits he did point out were fine by kick-off, as Paddy proved.

Why are people ignoring this!
  • Options
    Just a comment on the order in which people were informed of the decison - reading an earlier post, the BBC were told asap (even before the managers!), yet they didn't bother to broadcast the news on BBC Radio London AT ALL. As a result, we drove all the way to the ground. Where did they broadcast it? I will be putting in a complaint to the BBC about this.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Saga Lout[/cite]Just a comment on the order in which people were informed of the decison - reading an earlier post, the BBC were told asap (even before the managers!), yet they didn't bother to broadcast the news on BBC Radio London AT ALL. As a result, we drove all the way to the ground. Where did they broadcast it? I will be putting in a complaint to the BBC about this.

I was on my way to the game and I heard the announcement on BBC London at just after 12noon
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    *edit* If the ref calls the game off within a few hours of the game against both clubs wishes then he stay at the ground until when the game was due to end - gives encouragement to support the clubs and takes away the incentive for a cushy afternoon.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]If they call the game off, the ref should have to stay at the ground until the same time they would've left had they the game had been on.
    Why - as a punishment for the weather? That's a daft thing to say - irrespective of whether D'Urso was wrong to call the game off or not.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]If they call the game off, the ref should have to stay at the ground until the same time they would've left had they the game had been on.
    Why - as a punishment for the weather? That's a daft thing to say - irrespective of whether D'Urso was wrong to call the game off or not.

he should also be forced to eat all the pies & burgers that would otherwise go to waste from the catering outlets.....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Valley McMoist[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Saga Lout[/cite]Just a comment on the order in which people were informed of the decison - reading an earlier post, the BBC were told asap (even before the managers!), yet they didn't bother to broadcast the news on BBC Radio London AT ALL. As a result, we drove all the way to the ground. Where did they broadcast it? I will be putting in a complaint to the BBC about this.

I was on my way to the game and I heard the announcement on BBC London at just after 12noon

Like Valley McMoist, I heard it on BBC London just after midday and apparently it was mentioned on Five Live at about the same time. The BBC Website was updated pretty quickly after that time too.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Valley McMoist[/cite]

Well I didn't hear it, unless it was when I was leaning out of the window asking some supporters I saw walking in the wrong direction if the game was off.
  • Options
    Is this thread now longer than the match thread would've been?

I reckon so.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    well yesterday was more exciting than some of the matches
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]well yesterday was more exciting than some of the matches

We made fewer mistakes, too.

In fact, the only thing in common with other recent poor performances was that Parky still blamed the ref !
  • Options
    i think the one question that needs answering more than any other....

Airman, can you get me the blonde girl from the ticket office mobile phone number?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]i think the one question that needs answering more than any other....

Airman, can you get me the blonde girl from the ticket office mobile phone number?

Why all she will tell you is that the game was postponed! ;-)
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: SE9[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]i think the one question that needs answering more than any other....

Airman, can you get me the blonde girl from the ticket office mobile phone number?[/quote]

Why all she will tell you is that the game was postponed! ;-)[/quote]

No, its still deffo on
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Charltonparklane[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: SE9[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]i think the one question that needs answering more than any other....

Why all she will tell you is that the game was postponed! ;-)

No, its still deffo on

The two-timing hussy. That's what she told me, too....
  • Options
    she is not a hussy...she is the most beautiful girl in the whole wide world.
  • Options
    The only thing I would add, is that most people keep banging on about the fact that the pitch was playable.

Nobody, disputed that.

It was the 2 areas where the linesmen run that appeared to be very icy. Perhaps next time when we prepare the pitch we can also remember to clear those areas as well. That ice didn't look like it was to do with the overnight frost, it must have been solid ice all along, so how come this was not picked up by the original ref inspection and by the groundsman, or was it ? :-)
  • Options
    The way this panned out i wished it was called off at 12.59 just to properly pee Incorruptible off. he would have been having a coronary !

:-)
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]The only thing I would add, is that most people keep banging on about the fact that the pitch was playable.

Nobody, disputed that.

It was the 2 areas where the linesmen run that appeared to be very icy. Perhaps next time when we prepare the pitch we can also remember to clear those areas as well. That ice didn't look like it was to do with the overnight frost, it must have been solid ice all along, so how come this was not picked up by the original ref inspection and by the groundsman, or was it ? :-)[/quote]

They had heaters on it maybe they should man up abit run the line a few times it would have soon softened
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cost is £60k not including the refunding of tickets.
  • Options
    Can we alter the thread title now please (or sink it altogether). I thought the Brighton game was off too.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    On the kick-off time, it was made clear to the ref that because there were no public transport issues - in fact not much public transport - the safety officer was happy to delay the kick-off as long as he required. It was put up back to 1.15 and a further delay was available to the ref as an option.

D'Urso did not inspect the touchline area he had asked to be treated when he came out for the final time. He went nowhere near it. So it's difficult to accept that this area was why he called it off - and if it was he could have made the decision during his 11.30 inspection, because that was the last time he looked at it. That's one reason why the club was so angry with him.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Airman Brown[/cite]D'Urso did not inspect the touchline area he had asked to be treated when he came out for the final time. He went nowhere near it. So it's difficult to accept that this area was why he called it off - and if it was he could have made the decision during his 11.30 inspection, because that was the last time he looked at it.

And can the club make an official complaint - that the referee was negligent in not making full inspection of the pitch at the later time....... especially regarding the fact that the safety officer was prepared to sanction further delays to kick off time?

It does seem apparent that the only man who didn't want the game to be played ........was the referee himself.
    Unprofessional.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Airman Brown[/cite]D'Urso did not inspect the touchline area he had asked to be treated when he came out for the final time. He went nowhere near it. So it's difficult to accept that this area was why he called it off - and if it was he could have made the decision during his 11.30 inspection, because that was the last time he looked at it.

And can the club make an official complaint - that the referee was negligent in not making full inspection of the pitch at the later time....... especially regarding the fact that the safety officer was prepared to sanction further delays to kick off time?

It does seem apparent that the only man who didn't want the game to be played ........was the referee himself.
    Unprofessional.

I don't think the club is going to run the risk of being accused of raising unneccesary and time-consuming complaints ... or potentially worse of a disrepute charge.

D'Urso will get away with this.
  • Options
    surely we can politely ask the league for an explanation and provide all the facts?
  • Options
    The League will back the referee , of course ...... without even bothering to decide themselves if he was negligent or unprofessional.

And they won't even consider the financial loss caused by D'Urso's "I would rather be with my family than referee a match on Boxing Day" decision.
  • Options
    Im now locked in a facebook argument with D'Urso's cousin, who happens to be in my college class.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    REFS WINTER GUIDELINES

Worth a read.

I don't think we can make a case that he was either negligent or blatently unprofessional. There are however inconsistencies which led to an exceptionally poor piece of decision making. One example is that d'Urso, in his little 'Why I Did It' speech points to the temperature having been at - 5 and supposedly worse than the day before. That having been the case, I would have expected him, as a professional, to have therefore taken the decision to contact the club to suggest a much earlier inspection. The club has made note of his inconsistent behaviour with regard to which areas were actually troubling him. Why did he not allow extra time to further the improve the problem areas, especially as the sun was surprisingly warm and supporters had already arrived? Why did he announce his decision to Sky first rather than the managers? Why was Sky even allowed on the pitch following him around? There are quite a few areas relating to his judgements that do bear investigation. I really hope that the club does pursue some form of complaint, it may not help us but it certainly won't do d'Urso any favours 'behind the scenes'.
  • Options
    Re your post still.....

pre inspection;
    • Be positive & as proactive as your availability allows towards any requests to attend a ground slightly earlier than usual if asked to carry out a pitch inspection where there is a doubt about the safety of a playing surface due to the weather
    • When carrying out a pitch inspection, seek to wear suitable footwear so that you can make as accurate an assessment of the playing surface as it would be in a game… get your football boots on if you can. In addition, it is also great to get a football that you can take onto the pitch too… to see the effect any potential surface problem will have on a rolling/bouncing ball
    Post inspection:
    • Discuss the situation as you see it with the club(s) & explain your decision as to whether the game can go ahead or not. Refer to the evidence you have ie: weather forecasts/actual things you have seen whilst inspecting the pitch

This is for non league I would assume, but the essence of the instructions\guidance are relevent.

Firstly, the ref seemed to carry out the first pre inspection in casual shoes if the photograph posted on here is correct.
    Secondly, and the crux of the issue, how did he consult with the clubs as described above, except through sky, declaring the game off.

I feel that he acted unreasonably, and gave no regard to the club, and players. He has an overiding responsability to ensure that the players and officials have a safe playing enviroment for the 'whole game'. But it was above freezing, and the sun was out, and had been out, and was out till at lest 3.30 the chance of further 'freezing' was minimal. The weather forecast confirmed this.

The fact that we are upset by this 'nonsense' was the general overriding consensus that the game at such a late stage could not go ahead, in resonable conditions ( for the time of year), without regard to further discussion with the clubs. Opinion will always vary, my opinion is that he was guilty of 'unreasonable, and vexatious behaviour' and failed to carry out his duties with due regard to the situation, and his actions were inept.