Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Zulu

13»

Comments

• Options
    Imagine if it'd gone from B&W to HD straight away! Lol
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: TEL[/cite]Went to see this with my Grandad in 1964 at the ABC in Woolwich we walked down from Ogilby Street (Harding House)....very fond memories...couldnt get over the colours on the screen (B&W tv's in those days) and I was just a nipper

Same here Tel, that's also where I saw it first with my old man.
  • Options
    Off topic, but just had a look on Google at the old flat.....wow, that bought back some memories......I saw a lot of good films down at the ABC Stone.....Bullit was another..and Bambi....lol
  • Options
    bambi had me shot to pieces
  • Options
    TELTEL
    edited December 2010
    I bloody cried mate....and Old Yeller.....Why do boxers like Gladiator or is that a stupid question?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]Just discovered that Stanley Baker, who played Lieutenant Chard, produced the movie with his own funding ... ws not aware of that.

By the way, the guy that played Cetewayo was apparently a direct descendant of the real Cetewayo.

Cetewayo was played by Chief Buthelezi, a real Zulu chieftain and head of the Inkatha Freedom Party in South Africa. He's still alive today, aged 82.
  • Options
    I recall it as being a good cinema ... was a regular there but my main one was the ABC at Blackheath Standard including every week at Saturday morning pictures :-)
  • Options
    lol tel just talking crap about the boxer thing,or maybe im not maybe the fighting in front of baying crowds the roar of the crowd the....
  • Options
    We sometimes went to the Odeon ( I saw the Exorcist there) But the ABC will always stay in my head as My Grandad didnt go to the cinema very often bless him....he is 93 now.
  • Options
    Went to see this with my Grandad in 1964 at the ABC in Woolwich we walked down from Ogilby Street (Harding House)....very fond memories...couldnt get over the colours on the screen (B&W tv's in those days) and I was just a nipper t Tel......

Saw mine in 'proper Charlton'* Tel ....... Roxy standard, went with some 'older Springfield estate lads' I was 12\13 at the time.

In those days Woolwich was a sort of 'independent state', Greenwich town hall was in Greenwich. The one at Woolwich was Woolwich town hall. Charlton ended before Woolwich common!.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: ken from bexley[/cite]Roxy standard, went with some 'older Springfield estate lads' I was 12\13 at the time.

Springfield ... haaaa ... Cherry Orchard rules ;-)
  • Options
    lol....bloody hell you must be ancient.....

Woolwich was a bloody great place as a nipper.....not so sure now, its changed so much, I hardly recognise it. Wouldnt it be nice to go back and see it all through adult eyes...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ken from bexley[/cite]
    Saw mine in 'proper Charlton'* Tel ....... Roxy standard, went with some 'older Springfield estate lads' I was 12\13 at the time.

That's where I saw it too Ken! For the younger ones amongst us, the Roxy at Blackheath Standard was where M&S Simply Foods is now located!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]I recall it as being a good cinema ... was a regular there but my main one was the ABC at Blackheath Standard including every week at Saturday morning pictures :-)

Saturday morning pictures ! I was a Greenwich Granadier (Granada)
    they used to get all the kids singing the words to British Granadiers with British substituted with Greenwich. Words on the big screen with bouncing ball and all.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]I recall it as being a good cinema ... was a regular there but my main one was the ABC at Blackheath Standard including every week at Saturday morning pictures :-)

Saturday morning pictures ! I was a Greenwich Granadier (Granada)
    they used to get all the kids singing the words to British Granadiers with British substituted with Greenwich. Words on the big screen with bouncing ball and all.

Used to get a free ABC badge if it was your birthday ... amazing how many birthdays we used to have to get the different badges ;-)
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]I recall it as being a good cinema ... was a regular there but my main one was the ABC at Blackheath Standard including every week at Saturday morning pictures :-)[/quote]...... snap!

lol....bloody hell you must be ancient.....

Woolwich was a bloody great place as a nipper.....not so sure now, its changed so much, I hardly recognise it. Wouldnt it be nice to go back and see it all through adult eyes...

Yes It did have a 'character' about it, so sad these days!...
  • Options
    Woolwich has got "character" now. A snarling, nasty under-current sort of character.

Anyway chaps, stick to topic.

"DON'T YOU REALISE, CAN'T YOU SEE - YOU'RE ALL GOING TO DIE!!!"
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    [cite]"DON'T YOU REALISE, CAN'T YOU SEE - YOU'RE ALL GOING TO DIE!!!"

"DEATH AWAITS YOU ALL!"
  • Options
    Just think what it will like with the largest Tesco in Europe and the rest of the shops failing to compete
  • Options
    Why is it us? Why us?

Because we're here lad.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    "Who do you think is coming to wipe out your little outfit - the Grenadier Guards?"
  • Options
    Schiess: "A Zulu regiment can run, RUN, 50 miles in a day AND fight a battle at the end of it!"

Jones: "Well, there's daft it is then. I don't see any point in running to fight a battle..."
  • Options
    Calling rollcall at the end;

Hitch ... Hitch? I saw you ... you're alive.

I am? Oh, thanks very much.
  • Options
    ~ Animals! All of you, animals!~Margaretta Witt
    ~ That's a bitter pill! Our own damned rifles!~ Lt John Chard
  • Options
    "I'll get my man to clean your kit"
    "Don't bother"
    "Oh it's no bother old boy, wasn't offering to clean it myself"
  • Options

FRONT RANK -

FIRE!

• Options
    Unlike most of you who have posted on here i was unable to go and watch the film at the ABC in Sidcup,due to my parents saying i was to young at the time.One of lifes disappointsments,i did however watch the film second time around a few years later which was unheared of at the time.
    Great film and Michael Caines first movie.
  • Options
    "Fire at will"
    "that's jolly nice of you sir"