Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Brighton 1 - 1 Charlton - Post match views

Started very brightly Racon in particular but after the sending off our approach play was woeful.We struggled with their two forwards physically.In the second half we were toothless, Brighton were able to sit back and allow us possession knowing we had nothing.With the exception of Dailly and Docherty who was my MOM the rest of the team were as awful as each other misplaced passes poor control and very disappointing performance and a missed opportunity.

Brighton's freekicks were first class players peeling off and making intelligent runs, there goal came from one of these, our freekicks were laughable, one in the second 3 yards outside the box, Jackson rolls it 2 yards to a static Francis who doesn't even get the chance to run on to it really quite embarrasing.

Benson missed 2 open goals from 5 yards out, in the final 5 minutes one a free header from 3 yards out and managed to hit kish on the line, with the keeper well out of position.

We need this takeover we need strikers, one positive for me was Abbott looked sharp and set up a couple of chances in the 10 minutes he had.

Martin and Reid just don't seem able to capitalise on the gametime they are being given and can have no complaints about not starting.

Comments

• Options
    disappointed with what you say about Reid, steve. thought he was going to be the player that would lead us to promotion this year. Another example of charlton training turning a good player into a mediocre one?
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]disappointed with what you say about Reid, steve. thought he was going to be the player that would lead us to promotion this year. Another example of charlton training turning a good player into a mediocre one?

Hope not, however since his bright start to the season he has been fairly average. Also do not buy all this- his confidence was shot after his injury and struggle to get back ahead of Jackson. He is a pro footballer who is not inexperienced, he needs to knuckle down- perhaps like Martin one of the reasons why he has not settled anywhere and had plenty of loans.

Should also say- not trying to dig Reid out or make him this weeks scapegoat, however after much early promise in his cafc career- think he has failed to reach those level again.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]disappointed with what you say about Reid, steve. thought he was going to be the player that would lead us to promotion this year. Another example of charlton training turning a good player into a mediocre one?

Never been overly impressed with Reid when I've seen him, he never, ever seems to go with the simple option.
  • Options
    I'm a Parky fan but any new owners wouldn't be impressed watching that. We lacked any sort of ideas again.

Waggy has scored goals this year but yet again unless he scores he offers nothing. Doesn't take on his man and doesn't get crosses in.

Benson seems to do well apart from when we play at the valley and any away game I've been too.

Set pieces for years have been awful yet we still don't seem to practice them. We have no idea what we're doing with them.
  • Options
    Martin & Reid were both poor tonight. If they had a brain between them they would make an excellent player. Sadly they don't. Dailly was vociferous in telling Reid he had to do more off the ball and actually run into space rather than just stand on the touchline with his hands on his hips waiting for the ball.

We started really well but the sending off did us no favours. We then largely struggled to break down a 9 man Brighton defence and Brighton only had a couple shots on target in the whole game. We dominated for large spells but just couldn't get that 2nd goal. We could have had 4 in the 1st half but missed a range of sitters from close range. It was more difficult in the 2nd half as Brighton seemed to have settled for the draw and just wasted as much time as they could. We should have scored towards the end, though, and we would have deserved the win.

I'm happy with a decent point and I'm looking forward to Colchester. It sounds like Steve Brown was being a bit of a prat in the live commentary. Charlton were definitely the better side tonight.
  • Options
    come on Pete how many times in the second half did we create a clear cut chance, for me it was 2 in the final 5 miuntes both missed by Benson the rest was a half of mis-controls and misplaced passes.I thought Docherty was class.Who missed the sitter in the first half with their keeper stranded out wide of his box ? Couldn't see.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    i expected a draw and thats what we got ...
    it's a dogwank league and no matter what shite we serve up we're gonna be in the mix cos no one can really get a run going and most of the teams are pony
    the league has tightened right up now and that does worry me a bit
    i've said for a while it think the autos are between us brighton soton and hudders and as usual i can't see myself being far wrong
    so after todays point i see us as 15% automatics 70% play offs 15% P45 for parky
  • Options
    You forgot your usual final line Oohaah.
  • Options
    Its not just Parky, its every manager who does not beat a ten man team, but I hate ""But I can't fault the lads tonight because it's difficult against ten men as everybody knows."

No its even harder to beat 11 men!!!!!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stu of HU5[/cite]

Never been overly impressed with Reid when I've seen him, he never, ever seems to go with the simple option.

mate, id agree with your last comment but then how many speedy wingers do?...when he joined on loan he looked like the type of player that would be able to win or turn a game on his own. southend away last year a prime example. at the time we thought he was going to be the most exciting player seen at the valley since the prem years. just gutted he hasnt turned into that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    i think he's a player who needs a cuddle and told everything will be alright, unfortunately we are in a league that needs players with skill, but more importantly BALLS.
  • Options
    From 30 seconds and one camera angle on SSN:

Penalty should've also been a red card... or the referee should've played advantage a la Clattenberg vs Chelsea on Monday night

Penalty from jacko was to keeper's left (not straight) but wasn't particularly in the corner and a bit lucky to squeeze in

Red card looked harsh but the player won't get away with it on appeal having both his feet jumping downwards

Their equaliser was a fantastically improvised volley but from a set piece situation, we didn't win the first ball which was flicked back, we didn't win the second off the knock down, and the marking on the third was wrong side - poor defending
  • Options
    In a rare position to join in, having made the trip, despite the Airman warning me that it will be the worst ground you've ever visited. And it is. Worse than Mansfield, Aldershot, Oldham, and particularly because of the view. I cant wait to see the highlights to find out what was happening in the first half.

But I'm afraid I cant agree we were the better team. Brighton passed it better, their movement was far better. It might have been different if Anyinsah had stayed on, but Benson and Martin is simply not a partnership. Agree that Abbott made a difference, and that looked like a partnership with Benson. Waggy was disappointing, Racon very good, as was Jackson most of the time. Reid was very disappointing, that second half should have been made for him.

But, then again, we'd all have taken a point at the start of this one. Yes we threw away a dream start, but we end the year well placed.

Oh and the Brighton tannoy man, straight out of the Home Service, twice welcomed us as great friends of Brighton who supported the club in the bad times. Nice that, and good luck to them in their new stadium. They've been through the same as us for even longer, and I cant find anything to dislike about them.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: PragueAddick[/cite]
    I cant find anything to dislike about them.

Apart from the view from the away end ! Went to the pre-season friendly a couple of years ago and vowed never to return there. look forward to going to their new ground.

Happy with point, happy with position, not overly happy with how it has all come about. Can't work out if with the squad we have we are doing well to eek out results or whether we should be producing so much more.
  • Options

There is a reason he's a League one player. Let's not blame the backroom staff.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Vinnie V.[/cite]

Well I think they are part to blame cos imo there is a championship standard player in there and with the right coaching it would and should be happening for him .... Still not even halfway thru the season and if he turns it on he can be the key to automatic promotion cos he has the ability there , we just gotta get it out of him !
  • Options
    edited December 2010
  • Options
    Think Afka sums it up quite well. We've had a few good results away which I've only listened to, at home we haven't really dominated any game and we still lack ideas to create chances.
  • Options
    Would have taken a point beforehand so decent result but could do with backing it up with 4-6 points over the weekend.

Frustrated with some of the chances that Benson is missing but wasnt at the game so he may have been unlucky.

What happened to the other 47 Charlton fans - we sold 894??
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Vinnie V.[/cite]

Agree, he had and always had pace, looked exciting and troubled defences. But I seem to recall a lot of wayward crosses from the outset plus indecsion on the ball, I don't think anything's any different so it's unfair to start the blame game. One point more than I'd expected and if I hadn't listened to the commentary, I'd be very happy.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think Reid done better when he started roaming last ten minutes.Distribution improved a lot when Racon went deep after Semedo's substitution.Martin bottled it a couple of times but he looks the better bet at right wing at the moment.Unfortunately Waggy is not being effective in his attacking role.He is not using his pace or skill to hurt defences.
    He has undoubted pace but Im not sure about his skill and composure with his crossing.Francis got involved.He had some bad crosses but he zipped over quite a few good ones.
    Doc is much improved and was unlucky with a header late on.Benson looked strong and agile but how he did not score at the end??It was harder not to score.
    There was a bit of frustration in the air but a draw coming after Walsall and Brentford has steadied the ship again and should renew confidence.I just hope this takeover is settled as the team needs a couple of new faces .
  • Options
    I am inclined to think that this formation is better:

Elliott
    Francis-Doherty-Dailly-Fry
    Wagstaff-Racon-Semedo-Jackson
    Benson -Aniyinsah

But if Anyinsah gets injured who comes in for him? Martin is the only Real option. Abbott is cack and our youth are not ready (and akpo is injured)
  • Options
    With Anyinsah the team works, without him it doesn't. Benson played so bad that it was effectively 10 against 10 last night. Unfortunately the player that would win us the League can't stay fit for a game!!!! We definitely need a new striker in and they need to possess power and pace- think Benson does better alongside these attributes.

Having said that- we woulod have taken a draw before the game- but we do need to up our game to stay in the race.
  • Options
    I'd love the takeover to bring the money to sign someone good!
  • Options
    sounds like we werent at our best buut shows progress i mean this was the team that battered us 4-0 a few weeks ago, now were 4 points behind them and plenty to play for we didnt think we'd be in this position a while back so personally quite opitmistic
  • Options
    Very frustrating night.

No aspect of Charlton ever really got going bar the first 5 mins, absolutely zero vocal support from the away following although admitedly difficult in that tinpot ground with no roof. Couldn't really see what happened for the penalty and sending off as was so bloody far away from it.

I think we would of all taken a point before kick off but in the way the game started it was 2 points dropped rather than a point gained, second half was massively dissapointing, god knows what happens at half time but Parky managed to send out what looked like a completely demotivated team who didn't look interested at all.

Missed Ansinyah badly last night I thought, any idea on how long he is out for again? Wagstaff was ineffective, Martin was beyond useless and I will happily drive him back to wherever he came from, Reid never got going either when he came on. Francis again was useless - got forward well but his crossing was appalling which for me is his only strong point anyway. A below average league one right back to say the least, where is Solly? Benson got in the right places as usual but forgot to connect his legs to his brain. Doherty was my man of the match, looked solid all game. Racon looked interested, and everyone else was below par.

I think we need to go to Colchester and look for 3 points now as well as 3 at home to Swindon and go to Tottenham with our heads up otherwise it could be embarassing.
  • Options
    Thought Francis was one of our better players on the night. Jackson nearly had pen saved- we need another penalty taker. And please god don't let Anyinsah be out for long - Benson was terrible and Martin just dosent have a football brain for all his undoubted talent. Without the right balance up front it throws the rest of the team out - a fit Anyinsah or a new face or two and we can win this league- with 2 of Benson,Abbott and Martin we will be lucky to get the play offs. Their are 4 questions we need positive answers to. In the short term, how long are Anyinsah and Sodje out for. More generally -if Anyinsah and Sodje are fit -will Parky play them together and probably most importantly -when will the take over be completed and will it allow the modest funds required to get this team which is nearly there to turn into a real force at this level.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]Who missed the sitter in the first half with their keeper stranded out wide of his box ? Couldn't see.

Waggy. Sidefooted from 3 yards out wide of the post.
  • Options
    Waggy should have scored and Benson should have got 2 - chances they should be putting away really :(
  • Options
    Oh well roll on Colchester,if the view that teams ned a game after the break to get the rust out of their system then we should be ahead of them.