Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Brighton 1 - 1 Charlton - Post match views

2»

Comments

• Options
    As above. Would have taken a point before the game but felt we could have bought Abbott on 10 minutes earlier to press a tiring Brighton a bit more. It only the last ten that we created three good chances.

Thank god I'll never have to go to that shit-hole again.
  • Options
    With our current attack - worried about Clchester
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Gus's view & Match report

Gus Poyet refused to let a controversial sending off inside the opening ten minutes deflect from an exceptional performance against Charlton at Withdean.

The Albion boss was delighted with his team, who fought back from an early goal to draw 1-1, and were the better side despite being down to ten men for most of the game.

Referee Darren Deadman awarded a penalty against Albion after two minutes - which Johnnie Jackson converted - but the dismissal of Inigo Calderon in the eighth minute for a challenge on Therry Racon left Albion irate.

He told seagulls.co.uk, "The sending off looked worse than it was. Calde was upset when he saw the referee had given a free-kick - let alone when he saw him bring out a red card - but following the early decisions I thought we were outstanding today.

"When you play against Charlton and concede a penalty, a goal and a red card inside ten minutes, and still come away with a draw then you have done well. We should forget about the ref, he made two early decisions and we'll leave it at that.

"After those incidents it was all about Brighton. It was all about the way we played, our desire and our commitment. The players should all be very proud of themselves.

"It was also about the fans. A few weeks ago I wasn't very happy, but today they helped us a lot and they gave us an 11th player on the pitch.

"They showed that even here at Withdean stadium they can make noise to help us."

The Uruguayan was lost for words to describe Glenn Murray's performance tonight, after scoring an instinctive first-half equaliser, and impressing in attack during Albion's stalemate.

"We had a brilliant player in Glenn Murray today. I need to learn some words in the dictionary to describe his performance because he was a different class tonight and by far the best player on the pitch.

"Everything he did was spot on. From his goal, to the balls he won in the air and even at the end when he provided Kishishev with a great chance. That's the Glenn that we all know and I hope that he is back again on Saturday.

"Sometimes you have players like him and you want him to go on and score 20 goals, it is now about getting that from him for the rest of the season, because we know he is capable of it."

Match Report

Albion ended 2010 sitting top of the League One table after a heroic display against promotion rivals Charlton.

The scoreline told only half the story as Gus Poyet's men conceded an early penalty and were forced to play 82 minutes with ten men.

Albion's nightmare opening began after just three minutes when Marcos Painter was adjudged to have brought down Addicks striker Joe Anyinsah in the box. Referee Darren Deadman had no hesitation pointing to the spot and Johnnie Jackson stepped up to convert for the visitors.

Brighton's torrid opening continued just five minutes later when Inigo Calderon was shown a straight red for a one-footed challenge on Therry Racon.

It looked a very harsh decision by Deadman given his assistant - who was in a much better position - kept his flag down.

Calderon was left irate at the sending off - one of a number of questionable decisions by the man in black in a lively first half.

But to their credit, Albion quickly regained their composure and went close when Chris Wood's header was tipped over the bar.

As the game opened up, the visitors had opportunities to extend their lead with Scott Wagstaff volleying wide from close range and Paul Benson firing inches past Casper Ankergren's left-hand upright.

Yet it was far from one-way traffic and Albion grabbed a deserved equaliser nine minutes before the interval when Adam El-Abd hooked Gary Dicker's free-kick back into the box and Glenn Murray was on hand to athletically steer the ball home.

With their tails up, Albion continued to make a mockery of the numerical handicap, and in Wood they had an industrious outlet who worked the channels; likewise Murray, who excelled in a deeper position than usual.

New Zealander Wood tested Charlton keeper Rob Elliot, while Ankergen did well to save a Jackson free kick after Gordon Greer had brought down Lee Martin.

But as the minutes ticked away and limbs began to tire, Brighton were forced into more of a rearguard action - not that Ankergren was troubled by any means until late into the game.

Greer and El-Abd, in particular, defended like lions but the visitors thought they had snatched the points in the dying stages, only to see Benson's close-range effort cleared off the line by Liam Bridcutt.

Sub Radostin Kishishev also had a chance to clinch a dramatic victory against his former club, only to shoot straight at the feet of Elliot, but Albion went off at the final whistle to a rapturous round of applause.

It was a truly heroic display and bodes well for the remainder of the season.

TEAMS

Albion: (4-4-2) Ankergren; Calderon, Greer, El-Abd, Painter; Bennett, Bridcutt, Sparrow, Dicker (Kishishev 86); Wood (Barnes 86), Murray. Subs not used: Brezovan (GK), Elphick, Sandaza, Jamie Smith, Holroyd.

Charlton Athletic: (4-4-2) Elliot; Francis, Dailly, Doherty, Fry; Wagstaff (Abbott 81), Semedo (Reid 62), Racon, Jackson; Anyinsah (Martin 6), Benson. Subs not used: Worner (GK), McCormack, Seip, Jenkinson.

Attendance: 8374 (827 Charlton Athletic).

Referee: Darren Deadman.

Yellow Cards: Bridcutt, Bennett, Painter (Albion); Semedo, Fry (Charlton).

Red Cards: Calderon (serious foul play - Albion).
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]
    "It was also about the fans. A few weeks ago I wasn't very happy, but today they helped us a lot and they gave us an 11th player on the pitch.

"They showed that even here at Withdean stadium they can make noise to help us."

Odd considering there was literally no atmosphere generated from either set of supporters last night. We barely celebrated our goal.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: MuttleyCAFC[/cite]Thought Francis was one of our better players on the night.

How? He got forward well yes but every cross was terrible. Wasn't caught short defensively at least this game.
  • Options
    Benson was so effective last year alongside pace and power which came in the shape of joe scott. He is being used as a target man too often when really he should be the furthest up the pitch and getting onto the ends of crosses and loose balls
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Really wish managers (all of them, so not just having a go at Parky) would not trot out these lame excuses about how it's always really difficult to play against ten men.

If it's true, then why do't we start with ten against Colchester? That will make it really hard for them. eh?

We had a man advantage for all but seven minutes of the game. We didn't make anything of it because of the way we played, not because it is ''always really hard against ten men''.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nichorob[/cite]We barely celebrated our goal.

I know, you're right, but I couldnt see a bloody thing around the penalty. Never saw the incident, wasnt even clear for a while that the ref had given a penalty. And mystified to see Joe still lying injured. We'd have celebrated enough if Benson had converted that late chance. I was halfway down the stairs in expectation.

I agree with Muttley about Francis. He's a dodgy third divison footballer, but he overlapped well and put in a number of dangerous crosses last night. At least, in the first half, I think they were dangerous :-)

Incorruptible, agree with you on the ten men excuse!
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]i expected a draw and thats what we got ...

... "and as usual i can't see myself being far wrong"...

Nothing like a bit of modesty... and that was nothing like a bit of modesty!
  • Options
    In his quieter moments over the next few days Parky needs to think about how to set up the team in the event that the opposition go down to 10 men - saying "it's always really hard against 10 men" really isn't good enough - 11 v 10 for almost the entire game should see the team with the man advantage come out on top.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Doesn't sound too good, I can see us missing out on the automatics. At least we created plenty of chances!
  • Options
    Parky has set us up to get the ball upfield early and get it out to the wings for crosses. It isn't working because a) Benson is not a "hold it up" type player and b) by the time we are getting it out to the wings, the oppo have everyone back. What can the midfield do when it is being lumped over their heads? How can you blame wingers for poor crosses when our forwards are Benson and Martin, and midfielders arriving in the box possibly Racon and either Jackson or Waggy or Reid with only Jackson out of the six over six foot? Meat and drink for any defender unless there's someone big and physical challenging them.

If you can't push up and pass around ten men, we're relying on lucky bounces of the ball. These are decent players but with a poor game plan and no noticable changes in tactics if things aren't going right.

PARKY OUT!!!
  • Options
    Playing away to top of the table team - a draw - sounds good to me. Bit frustrating we didnt win it but we should be satisfied. Brighton are a decent team and passed it around well . Anybody who has played much football will be familar with " difficult to beat 10 men" syndrome. (We're undefeated with ten men this season. )
    Back up to third - bring on colchester
  • Options
    I must have been wearing my rose tinted specs last night as I thought we were pretty much OK....Certainly a 100% improvement on the Walsall debacle.

Fair comment that BHA allowed us to pass the ball around but on the whole I can't remember too many instances of the lads giving the ball away needlessly. Like others who have posted, the loss of Smokin' Joe was crucial . As nicorob stated, Lee " what are you doing on the feckin' pitch ? " Martin was woeful in the extreme. And I honestly think Waggy needs to get stuck in more - very disappointing for me of late. Russ definitely made a difference when he came on and should have been used earlier in the 2nd half.

If my memory serves me correctly, we didn't play that well at the Withdean last season , yet came away with the 3 points. Regardless of our numerical advantage ( or disadvantage as some might say ) if Benno had managed to slot home one of those late chances, we'd have been over the moon and the manner of the win would have been irrelevant AND Parky would have been lauded for his decision to keep the striker on for the full 90.

OK - we did only get a point against 10 men. BUT we were playing the table toppers, at their ground with our support unlikely to be heralded as the 12th man due to the logistics of the away area and we lost one of our most influential players after 2 minutes. Call me a cock eyed optimist but I came home feeling more confident than in the past few weeks that we can push on from here starting in Essex on Saturday.