Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Up the elephant and round the castle

edited December 2010 in Not Sports Related
I got the dvd for Christmas. It was a bit before my time but is still a good watch. They don't make programs like this no more. Does anyone else remember this?

Also isn't Elephant and Castle Millwall territory?

Comments

• Up the Elephant and Round the Castle was an ITV sitcom which aired from 1983 to 1985, starring comedian Jim Davidson, who played the role of Jim London. The show spawned a sequel, Home James, which was also made by Thames Television. "Home James" ran from 1987 to 1990. "Up the Elephant and Round the Castle" also gave early exposure to Anita Dobson. The show was made for the ITV network by Thames Television.

So A Charlton connection with 'fan Jim Davidson, music by Keith Emerson, of ELP. and Anita Dobson from Eastenders! ( Mrs Brian May)......
  • elephant always millwall.
  • Wasn't George Sewell in it too?

I remember it being an abysmal programme. Maybe time has proven me wrong - but I doubt it.
  • tbh was not up to much,i always like brush strokes but would be worried watching now as like so many of these comedys they dont seem as funny now.
  • [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]elephant always millwall.

Technically it should be but the demographics of the area now make it Chelsea and Arsenal. Very few Milwall left.
  • yeah but who takes someone serious who supports a club thats not a local club?
  • its a black area now and black people hardly ever support a local club.
  • theres gonna be a guaranteed bite on that last comment nolly
  • Nolly well done mate that comment will have given the Guardianistas heart failure !

As for that sitcom i thought it was dire. I dont mind Jim Davidson, but that was awful as far as i remember it.
  • its just fact though its a black area and how many black people support anyone other than arsenal or now chelsea.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited December 2010
    This seems to suggest otherwise Nolly, A quote from the football league supporters statistics 2010

There is some evidence that greater progress is being made
    by The League’s larger, city-based clubs as 68% of BME fans
    indicated that they followed Championship clubs compared to
    58% amongst white British supporters. In particular, Coventry City
    (8%) and Leicester City (8%) – two of the country’s more diverse
    cities – provided a significant proportion of the sample.
    In terms of the motivation to attend their first match, locality was
    an important factor for BME fans with 68% identifying this factor
    compared to 67% for white British fans.

link - http://www.football-league.co.uk/staticFiles/65/51/0,,10794~151909,00.pdf
  • im talking london mate,i know in leicster and coventry the asian community like to support those clubs,but your typical london west indian black man will rather arm chair as a arsenal or chelsea fan they have no affinity to there local side
  • Still quite a few wall from around there, off the Walworth Road etc but yes, not as many as there once was as the area has changed a lot.

Would agree with nolly that Arsenal shirts are probably far more prevalent if you were to take a stroll from the roundabout down to Arments for decent pie & mash.
  • and when has a asian been a black man?
  • [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]im talking london mate,i know in leicster and coventry the asian community like to support those clubs,but your typical london west indian black man will rather arm chair as a arsenal or chelsea fan they have no affinity to there local side

Or sit in the local nursing half a coke for 90 minutes.
  • and that of course
  • [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]Wasn't George Sewell in it too?

I remember it being an abysmal programme. Maybe time has proven me wrong - but I doubt it.

I do to, can't stand Jim Davidson either.
  • edited December 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]Nolly well done mate that comment will have given the Guardianistas heart failure !

I think only in your head. Why? It is an observation (that black people from Elephant & Castle are more likely to support Chelsea or Arsenal) that is difficult to argue with. Based on my observation and by what I have been told by black friends and acquaintances from that area the strong affinity with Arsenal dates from Ian Wright's time at the club.

I agree what you say about the sitcom!
  • I'd love to think it was funny, but remember being disappointed 25 years ago. I just can't imagine it's any good now. I just sky plussed the complete set of Allo Allo off of Dave - a few good one liners but mainly utter carp. Can't believe I liked it one.
  • [cite]Posted By: Stig[/cite] I just sky plussed the complete set of Allo Allo off of Dave - a few good one liners but mainly utter carp.

That's fishy
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Sparrows Lane Lion[/cite]Still quite a few wall from around there, off the Walworth Road etc

Is that the Millwallworth Road, Lame Lion? Or has even that gone over to armchair Arsenal plastics?
  • Doesn't Vince live there? That makes it Charlton territory in my book.
  • I remember this programme being absolute crap - doubt the years inbetween have improved it. Surely when calling Jim Davidson a "comedian" you should have quotes round it?!
  • I Remember it. It didn't last too long as was as funny as piles as far as i can recall.
  • Know of quite a few Charlton around that way.

Well, borough, kennington, tower bridge and Waterloo way.

No one in there right mind would live right by the Elephant.
  • Is it on a trunk road?
  • [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]Is it on a trunk road?

That is way funnier than 99.999% of Up the Elephant and Round the Castle.
  • [cite]Posted By: Sparrows Lane Lion[/cite]
    [cite aria-level=0 aria-posinset=0 aria-setsize=0]Posted By: nolly[/cite]im talking london mate,i know in leicster and coventry the asian community like to support those clubs,but your typical london west indian black man will rather arm chair as a arsenal or chelsea fan they have no affinity to there local side

Or sit in the local nursing half a coke for 90 minutes.

Did your stool get taken then, Lenny?
  • The half a coke brigade were out in massive force (black and Asian guys) in the crown in blackheath on Monday for the Arsenal V Chelsea match , what a surprise
  • This series was crap but Davidson used to be excellent years back when he performed at the Dun Cow.