Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Up the elephant and round the castle

2»

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]This series was crap but Davidson used to be excellent years back when he performed at the Dun Cow.

My old man is adamant that they charged for a slice of lemon in your drink in the Dun Cow! This is probably the 70's I'd imagine.
  • Options
    My mate (RIP) used to run the Cutty in Thamesmead, he got so fed up with the glass of coke brigade he started putting signs up statung that he was going to charge a minimum £10 spend charge when big games were on, they soon disappeared, one guy walked in stood by a pillar to watch a game without buying a drink, and when confronted by the landlord argued that it was a public place and his "human rights" to stand there and watch.....he lasted about 10 seconds after that :-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: davy[/cite]They don't make programs like this no more.
    Praise the lord
  • Options
    It was bad, almost as bad as Yus My Dear....
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]My mate (RIP) used to run the Cutty in Thamesmead, he got so fed up with the glass of coke brigade he started putting signs up statung that he was going to charge a minimum £10 spend charge when big games were on, they soon disappeared, one guy walked in stood by a pillar to watch a game without buying a drink, and when confronted by the landlord argued that it was a public place and his "human rights" to stand there and watch.....he lasted about 10 seconds after that :-)
    R.I.P. indeed
  • Options
    I grew up in Crampton Street (between Kennington Road and Walworth Road), boxed at the Lyn club at Manor Street Baths and worked on the stalls in East Street market.

Anyone that could string two words together without swearing was Charlton the rest were Millwall.

I keep promising to go back one day and see the blue plaque on the spot but somehow I think I'll wait until I don't care about my car anymore.
  • Options
    nice one what era did you box for lynn mate?
  • Options
    1962-1966 then I discovered women, booze and I wasted the rest . . .

I was Champion of Southwark for my weight (which must of been about the same as my left leg now!) and I have kept all my old certificates and cups.

East Street market was a gem. I did the egg stall for years and the banter was merciless but I would laugh all the way home.

Were you connected there too Nolly?
  • Options
    boxed for eltham my two brothers boxed for fisher both very good,never boxed a lynn kid though was supposede to fight gary davidson whos dad was good ,boxed boys from hollington round the corner never got any luck with them jammy gits thogh.
  • Options
    Yep, Fisher were the main oppo.

The manager/trainer at Lyn used to put a lot of money on with the Fisher bloke.

Oops have we just taken this thread away . . .
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    steve hiser fisher trainer and legend and also charlton fan still training now must be 70,when i was boxing your rivals were the fitztroy lodge and fishers was repton over the water,lynn was a great club mate you would have some pretty hard spars in that club in that time
  • Options
    Spot on Nolly, dead right. It was Fitzroy not Fisher
  • Options
    Southwark champion, very impressive m2!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: m2[/cite]Anyone that could string two words together without swearing was Charlton the rest were Millwall.

So the majority were Millwall then.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Sparrows Lane Lion[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: m2[/cite]Anyone that could string two words together without swearing was Charlton the rest were Millwall.

So the majority were Millwall then.

Bollocks I'm supporting the wrong fucking club!