Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Michael Slater.....What do we know ?

edited December 2010 in General Charlton
So what do we know of this guy ?

The name Slater is making me nervy as i can't think of much decent carrying that name.

Roy Slater the Slag - Fools and Horses Grass
Kat Slater - Mouthy East end trollop

As far i can tell he is a lawyer. The other guy Jiminez is fixer who dabbled a bit in property development. Neither seem likely to have enough clout to take on any responsibility if the next two years don't go exactly to plan, and neither seem in a position to put any real funds in.

So is there more to this guy than i'm not seeing ? Or are they just simply fronting someone else ?

Comments

• Options
    prob fronting tony j
  • Options
    Michael Slater, great batsman

I think it's being fronted by those two via Switzerland for someone else
  • Options
    i think he looks a bit like stop shouting ......
    a little bit slippery ;-)
  • Options
    I'm also certain they are fronting it for someone. Slater/Tony seems to be our version of Citeh's Gary Cook. My gut feeling anyway - we wont know where the cash (if any) is coming from.
  • Options
    not sure why the real owners are remaining so secretive. wheres the fun in that?
  • Options
    http://www.bblaw.co.uk/the-team/michael-slater.html
  • Options
    Like I said in the other thread, why the big secrecy if its just two small businessman.
  • Options
    Michael's experience sitting on the boards of a number of companies (including an AIM-listed company) and their audit and remuneration committees gives him a real insight into the operation of clients' businesses and makes him a valuable asset of the firm.

Think this confirms it for me.
  • Options
    i think there are people behind them and I think varney and RM know there are people behind them.
  • Options
    Would you buy a used rental car from him?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well hopefully they aren't as incredibly annoying as Gary Cook if that is the case.
  • Options
    I will say welcome to the club, and your new position Mr Michael Slater. Until circumstances say otherwise you are a good bloke and have my support.
  • Options
    his brother stuart played for west ham
  • Options
    I am glad this has been settled now. I hope now Slater's two first priorities is to settle the debts we have and give Parky some money to spend on players.

We need to be paitent though these debts can not be settled overnight once these new owners have just completed the paperwork.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]So what do we know of this guy ?

The name Slater is making me nervy as i can't think of much decent carrying that name.

Roy Slater the Slag - Fools and Horses Grass
    Kat Slater - Mouthy East end trollop

As far i can tell he is a lawyer. The other guy Jiminez is fixer who dabbled a bit in property development. Neither seem likely to have enough clout to take on any responsibility if the next two years don't go exactly to plan, and neither seem in a position to put any real funds in.

So is there more to this guy than i'm not seeing ? Or are they just simply fronting someone else ?

As I mentioned on the takeover thread - I think via a friend that there's Dubai money in the background, it could be money lent to them on a commercial basis, or they could be fronting an investor, or that third party might be funding a business for a couple of friends.

I doubt that Slater would go from being a solicitor sitting on a few boards and advising people to suddently being able to participate in a reasonably large financial transaction. Similarly, what has Jimenez done in his business career that suggests he has enough money to invest in a football club as well as his on-going businesses? We aren't talking about the investment of a small amount of money here but a sizeable slab of money.
  • Options
    Slater works for a legal firm called Butcher

Could there be any more eastenders links!?
  • Options
    Slater and Butcher - two good batsmen. The cricket connection deepens.
  • Options
    Slater is clearly a front man/minder. Loved to know who the real owners are
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: seth plum[/cite]I will say welcome to the club, and your new position Mr Michael Slater. Until circumstances say otherwise you are a good bloke and have my support.

Agree. Peter Varney felt he was good enough to run CAFC and for now that is good enough for me.

His stated approach on SSN seems down to earth and realistic without being unambitious. Having said that I'd still like to know more about him but all in good time.

On the OS it mentions he heads up two investment groups, Rose Trust and Blue Star, so they or members of those group may be the money behind him, if that is indeed the case. There was speculation on here a few weeks ago that we might not know the names of the owners even after the deal was completed and that might be the case.
  • Options
    smooth talker , a bit like pardew both of them!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2010
    Wyn Grants take http://addickschampionshipdiary.blogspot.com/

Glad its gone through but now its the hard work for them to fulfill expectations and get promotion - its going to be an interesting few months, they are not the messiahs but hopefully they will fulfill a few dreams
  • Options
    Why does it need to be sizeable money?

Pay a small amount for the club, I was user the impression most of our debt did not need paying till were in the prem, with interest due in the champ? Why would they want to pay this back early!?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    On the OS it mentions he heads up two investment groups, Rose Trust and Blue Star, so they or members of those group may be the money behind him, if that is indeed the case. There was speculation on here a few weeks ago that we might not know the names of the owners even after the deal was completed and that might be the case.

Unless some journalistic strikes gold through digging, i doubt we will ever know now. Good luck on finding out any information on those to companies, think it will prove a mission.

He said the club had significant debts, but i thought the moves in the summer (administration in all but name) wiped out virtually all of those debts.
  • Options
    he reminds me of christopher dean
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]

Unless some journalistic strikes gold through digging, i doubt we will ever know now. Good luck on finding out any information on those to companies, think it will prove a mission.

He said the club had significant debts, but i thought the moves in the summer (administration in all but name) wiped out virtually all of those debts.

The former director debt is still there just deferred until we are back in the PL (capital repayment) and Championship (interest repayment). Plus the debt on the North Stand.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Works for, or has done, Huy plc:
    http://www.huyplc.com/
    "Michael Slater, Non Executive Director, Aged 41

Since qualification Michael has worked as a commercial lawyer in both private practice as a solicitor, partner and now non-practicing consultant to Butcher Burns solicitors and as an in-house lawyer and consultant to a number of companies. He acts as the in-house legal consultant and financial controller of the Rose Trust and also works with clients in the property, construction, vehicle rental, security and fire protection sectors.

Michael was awarded an Honours Degree in Law in 1987 and passed the Solicitors Final Examination in 1988.

He is group company secretary and was appointed to the board as a non-executive director on 24th November 2006. He sits on the both the Audit and Remuneration Committees."

edit: Huy Plc was a new name for Blue Star Mobil Group, seems to have been a shell company that sold the Blue Start "trading subsidiaries" in 2008 and folded soon after. Chairman was David Cromwell.
  • Options
    tell you what tony jimenez looks a hard bastard
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]
    [cite]

If you go back to the EGM thread the on-going debt is set out there.

£4-5 per season over spend

£8m mortgage

£7 - 8m bond issue repayable in prem.

The first needs to be paid this season.

The second is £1m a season I think but not sure

The third is continent on two promotions so a way off yet.

Still significant in terms of our income so not wiped out. The debts were vastly reduced however.
  • Options
    http://charltonathleticonline.blogspot.com/2010/12/finally.html
  • Options
    michael-s.jpg

He DOES look like Stop Shouting !!