Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

David White - A Thank You

edited December 2010 in General Charlton
While the focus is, quite understandably, on the implications for the Club going forward the changes also mean that some people are stepping down.

One of those it seems is director and life long fan David White.

I was privileged to sit on the board, and in a few away Directors' boxes, with Dave and see close up how much he cares for the Club. I didn't always agree with him but his passion for Charlton was clear. He always spoke up for what he thought was best for the fans and the Club, not just himself. And like all the directors in put large amounts of cash into the Club when it was needed and won't see much of it back.

Another reason that I admire him is that he was always willing to get involved in the nitty-gritty issues and not just take his place in the directors' box every week. He was actively involved in the Target 40k Committee, drove forward the Fans Forum and, more recently, has been championing the needs of the academy.

I know that more than a few Lifers know Dave well as friend and for longer than me and I'm sure that will have their own stories and tributes to pay, either here or in person.

But from me, Dave, a big, big thank you for everything you have done for the Club and fans over the years. I just hope there is some way the Club will utilise your talents in the months and years to come.

Comments

• Options
    I shared a cab at Swindon last year with him, lovely fella and proper Charlton.
  • Options
    I stood in the rain in Yeovil with him. Real charlton. Sure he'll turn up at some lifer drinks in the future although i'm not sure drinking is his thing...
  • Options
    Hope he sorts out my Directors Day prize before he goes ;-)

In all seriousness I doubt David will be going anywhere and as you say I hope the Club still utilises him for many a year to come. Definately one of the good guys.
  • Options
    My turn to get the beers in Dave. People appreciate you more than you realize mate....see you soon and thanks for all your hard work over the years.
  • Options
    Is he dead ?

lol, nice touch Henry. He does read this site so i'm sure he'll appreciate it.
  • Options
    His son on Twitter: "Glad #cafc takeover is done, best thing to take us forward. Kind of an end of an era for me (and the old man) though"
  • Options
    Top guy - He'll be involved somehow. It's in his blood! Cheers Dave, thanks for everything so far!
  • Options
    cheers dave echo what henry said
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]His son on Twitter: "Glad #cafc takeover is done, best thing to take us forward. Kind of an end of an era for me (and the old man) though"

WSS - What's the @ for DW's son on Twitter? I'd like to follow him
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Is he dead drunk?

Bit uncalled for IMHO

[cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite] He does read this site so i'm sure he'll appreciate it.

Does he? never told me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cheers DW don't know enough in's and out's as others but echo sentiments of gratitude
  • Options
    He once told me that henry irving used to hold up the meetings by asking for one cup of chai, one ginseng root and some incence. Funny man, best wishes for the future Mr. White.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Valley McMoist[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]His son on Twitter: "Glad #cafc takeover is done, best thing to take us forward. Kind of an end of an era for me (and the old man) though"

WSS - What's the @ for DW's son on Twitter? I'd like to follow him
    @mikejwhite
  • Options
    Have spent time with Dave at a few games and from my part can say he is a good guy who despite being a Director was always a "proper fan".

I'm sure we will still see him at the Valley and at plenty of away games even if he has to now pay for his tickets.
  • Options
    How am I going to get our tickets for popular away games now?
  • Options
    Not met him but heard only good things. Thanks for everything you've done for CAFC, David
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]How am I going to get our tickets for popular away games now?

same as me NSS

Hats of to you Mr White and once again ta very much
  • Options
    Cheers Dave, echo Henners statement.

Top top geeze!

Don't be a stranger

X
  • Options
    I have seen Dave at matches since I got my first season ticket, and he used to stand on the half awake stand whilst at craphurst. When we got in the prem I was invited by a customer to a bit of corporate on a couple of occasions, I saw Dave all suited and booted on both occasions, I didn't realise he was a director until a couple of lifers told me.I have said to him in the past that he has lived everyone proper fans dreams and I can only again thank him sincerely for what he has done,whilst probably losing a lot of money in the process. You are Dave as my son says.

PROPER CHARLTON, GOD BLESS YA
  • Options
    Met DW a few times and enjoyed a beer with him at Barnet away proper Charlton fella and nice bloke, thanks Dave.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Have met DW a few times. Proper Charlton and one of your own. Thanks for all of your efforts over the years. Top man.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: PragueAddick[/cite]Not met him but heard only good things. Thanks for everything you've done for CAFC, David
    Me neither but I have heard nothing but good things. Big thanks from me as well.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]I stood in the rain in Yeovil with him. Real charlton. Sure he'll turn up at some lifer drinks in the future although i'm not sure drinking is his thing...[/quote]I liked his line in the pub, "Is she still with us?"
  • Options
    First met Dave at ballroom dancing lessons in Chislehurst. Soon discovered we had a joint passion for Charlton and the Viennesse Waltz, and become great friends since combining our two hobbies around the country.

For a near alcoholic, he has a surprisingly strong hold, upright frame and fleeting feet when in rotation.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]First met Dave at ballroom dancing lessons in Chislehurst. Soon discovered we had a joint passion for Charlton and the Viennesse Waltz, and become great friends since combining our two hobbies around the country.

For a near alcoholic, he has a surprisingly strong hold, upright frame and fleeting feet when in rotation.

I always thought you suited a dress Dan....does the Mrs know?
    ;-)
  • Options
    jesussssssssssssssssssssssss ballroom dancing lessons !!! still i guess it could have been " yes used to meet good old XYZ when we was out dogging"------------------mind you i think that would be less embarassing.
  • Options
    David White - Easily makes his way into the Charlton Legends category. Cheers for all you've done for this club

x
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]How am I going to get our tickets for popular away games now?

You'll have to join Valley Gold.

Don't forget to take your thermos flask and tartan blanket.

;o)
  • Options
    edited December 2010
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Nice post HI

Totally agree thank you DW for all your work and time put into CAFC