Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

January Transfer Window...

edited December 2010 in General Charlton
Assuming there is finally a bit of £ to spend, what are the top 3 priorities in terms of strengthening the squad?

Comments

• Options
    McLeod

Dickson

Fleetwood
  • Options
    Le Fondre
  • Options
    Pacey centre back.

Striker
  • Options
    I was thinking more positionally?

upfront?
    central defence?
    right back?
    goalkeeper?
    etc?
  • Options
    Gibbs

Bageri

Pouso
  • Options
    Defence, Midfield and Attack!
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Can see us getting a few decent loans in - Premiership fringe players rather than some of the dross we've had in recent seasons which has given the loan system a bad name.

We could get JJ back on loan! But Parky then probably wouldn't pick him. Doh...

But seriously, it's not just a question of the money. The very fact that we are now a club going places and moving forward rather than sliding inexorably downwards into administration should mean we can attract a much better calibre of player.

Quality loans may well be the way to go. Buying players at this stage for div three is harder, because we will hopefully need them to step up and play in the championship next season.

The loan debate on CL in recent seasons has been much misunderstood, I think. Very few of us are against loans per se. The criticism has been that many of them have been poor and no better than what we've already got.
  • Options
    unrealistic but i would love to see charlie austin at the valley also ive got a feeling that we are going to sign bradley wright wright wright and we need a centre back
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: incorruptible addick[/cite]Can see us getting a few decent loans in - Premiership fringe players rather than some of the dross we've had in recent seasons which has given the loan system a bad name.

We could get JJ back on loan! But Parky then probably wouldn't pick him. Doh...

But seriously, it's not just a question of the money. The very fact that we are now a club going places and moving forward rather than sliding inexorably downwards into administration should mean we can attract a much better calibre of player.

Quality loans may well be the way to go. Buying players at this stage for div three is harder, because we will hopefully need them to step up and play in the championship next season.

The loan debate on CL in recent seasons has been much misunderstood, I think. Very few of us are against loansper se. The criticism has been that many of them have been poor and no better than what we've already got.

There has to be a decent pool of talent from the likes of Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs etc available for loan, this where our friend Dennis could be working the oracle with his contacts at the highest level.
  • Options
    I honestly think that Swindon will want at least £750k for Austin, probably a mil, same with Le Fondre at Rotherham, are we under the impression that the owners will fling this sort of money at this level?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Need decisions on Fortune and Fry first, their contracts end soon. Hopefully we'll extend Fry's loan to the end of the season. Fortune I'm not convinced by and we already have a possible alternative in Seip.
  • Options
    Siep
    Lewington from MK Dons
    Ward from Millwall
    Green from Daggers
    Austin and Le Fondre may still be out of reach but the young boy from Spurs upfront
    Ward and/or Spearing from Liverpool
    A big centre forward Iwelumo style
  • Options
    Forward....rb......cm......R or L winger
  • Options
    Right Winger - Andros Townsend has gone back to Spurs which side does he play?
    Centre Half - I'd release Fortune.
    Central Midfielder
    Forward - Poss x 2 if Sodje and Anyinsah aren't going to stay fit.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Siep
    Lewington from MK Dons
    Ward from Millwall
    Green from Daggers
    Austin and Le Fondre may still be out of reach but the young boy from Spurs upfront

all of the above
  • Options
    We need a creative midfielder, someone who will make that killer pass, we don't have that in the team right now.
  • Options
    Well yes, all of the above. But that's about two-thirds of a new team - and the point I made above about the loanee option remains : when it comes to buying players, are we looking for bodies to get us out of div three or those who can do a Norwich/Leeds for us next season in the championship?

There might be players out there who fit both billings. But not necessarily.

So if we had to prioritise, I'd say:

1) Goal scorer. Doesn't have to be an Iwelumo type. A Lee Martin figure who has some end product would do just as well.

2) Classy central midfielder to break up the Semedo/Racon complacency. Someone who would be first choice, and then Parky has the nice problem of whether to play R or S alongside them.

3) Replacement for Francis, who is OK going forward but woefully lacking in judgement in his own half.

If we had the luxury of a fourth signing, a central defender with a bit of pace.
  • Options
    You don't want much do you Henry! ;0)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: mart77[/cite]You don't want much do you Henry! ;0)

Just the list I saw on the whiteboard in the coaches room at Sparrows lane last week. Doubt if they will all come.

you should have seen the "if no takeover list" - that was depressing!
  • Options
    In order:

LeFondre/Austin/BWP
    Young Pacy Centre Back
    Young Pacy Centre Rightback
    Creative Midfielder
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: mart77[/cite]You don't want much do you Henry! ;0)

Just the list I saw on the whiteboard in the coaches room at Sparrows lane last week. Doubt if they will all come.

you should have seen the "ifnotakeover list" - that was depressing!

Did it look a bit like this:

Henry Black from the Rose & Crown
    Mike Smith from the Queens Head
    Keith Peacock Free Agent (were sure his still got some legs in him)
  • Options
    Man U have two players they might let go on a loan. However if Parky gets sacked they''ll be on their way home on the next train.
  • Options
    To be more accurate

Henry Black from the Rose & Crown Reserves
    Mike Smith from the Queens Head third XI
  • Options
    I always aim to high so my mum tells me
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Bennyhill[/cite]I always aim to high so my mum tells me

We won't let you take the penalties then...
  • Options
    ha ha
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Siep
    Lewington from MK Dons
    Ward from Millwall
    Green from Daggers
    Austin and Le Fondre may still be out of reach but the young boy from Spurs upfront.................Defoe?????

; )
  • Options
    The strikers get plenty of flak on here, some justified but by no means all.

The problem as I see it is little or no service from midfield. The lack of goals at The Valley all season culminating in the Walsall goalkeeper not having a save to make the other week eloquently spells it out for me.
  • Options
    Probably Seip will come in for Fortune , don't think Millwall would let Ward go until they know about Shittu's lomg term plans and even then I would be sceptical.

Whilst discussing Centre Backs the reason I would like a Left Back is thinking laterally . Fry could be the extra centre back cover we need and Jackson is needed up pitch ,I liked the look of Lewington for MK Dons earlier this season but have also noticed Borrowdale has not played for QPR for a while . Ben Parker at Leeds is another possibility as Leeds are trying to get George Mccartney back on loan and also have the Argentinian Bessone at Left Back.

Not sure who a Striker could be , I notice Will Hoskins is banging them in for a struggling Bristol Rovers I see he is being touted for a move to Derby or Scunthorpe . But wouldn't it be galling to pay a fee when we nearly had him for nothing in the summer.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I think we need:

A Centre back, someone who has got a bit of pace because we can't have Dailly and Doc playing together all the time. I'd release Fortune or keep him and sell Llera. We have 5 tall/slow centre halfs, we need someone quicker.

A Left back, that would be if Fry doesn't sign on to the end of the season. Or if he does, sign one anyway and have Fry as back-up to centre backs? I wouldn't say no to having Borrowdale back if he was available, he wasn't amazing but his very assured there. If we got Borrowdale I wouldn't get in another centre back.

A Winger, someone who can play on either flank. This could enable Jackson to play a more predominant role in creative midfield sense? Danny Green from Dagenham could maybe be the answer, he could be the answer for Benson to score bundles this season, early crosses?

A Striker or two, This is somewhere we have to strengthen. Abbott hasn't scored in the league, Akpo and Anyinsah keeps getting injured and Benson can't keep getting the blame for not scoring or whatever, if he doesn't get the service he won't score. I think Bradley Wright Phillips will sign and will fire us into promotion!

300k tops for Green, 400k for BWP, and a Borrowdale loan? That's ample surely?