Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Parky to Preston?

edited December 2010 in General Charlton
Hmmm...

As I am still in 2010 & most of you are in 2011, let me know if this has happened!!!!

Comments

• Options
    Not yet ,but who could replace him Gus Poyet.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Lewis Coaches[/cite]Not yet ,but who could replace him Gus Poyet.

I suspect the basis for the above report is probably because he is from Preston!!
  • Options
    Dowie has announced his "interest" in Preston.
    If Preston has any common sense, that interest will not be returned.

Dowie shouldn't get a sniff of any managerial job. His record speaks for itself and any club that employees him is insane.
  • Options
    No cash for transfers? Usual high standard of reporting accuracy from the Sun there then.
  • Options
    Have the misfortune of having a PNE fan for a dad, as much as I love the banter I really wouldnt wish dowie on em!!
  • Options
    I smell an agent at work here sniffing for a contract extension
  • Options
    Well imo he can keep sniffing I will pick parky up in 15 min and drive him there
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I have to admit had this story been a few weeks ago, I would have said "go parky and shut the door behind you". Now with the takeover finalised, and a pretty good run of form (despite poor performances), I'm not as sure.

Personally I think that Parky, and the new board, should tell PNE where to poke it.
  • Options
    If you were Parky's agent and were looking over your shoulder at Jim Wise, dubbed the 'gruesome twosome' in the press a while back, holding a clients contract that ends with the season, what would you do? We know that Parky was re-signed because he was cheap, so it would make sense for his agent to play the field to get a better deal for Parky, be it for a short or long term contract.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I don't think Parky is 'cheap'.

He joined us as an Assistant in the Prem under Pardew , turned down Huddersfield when Assistant to remain with us in the CCC and last year signed on until the end of this season .

I suspect Parky is on good money , probably one of our last remaining legacies of the Prem . I also think PNE at the moment would not be attractive as it looks like they will be L1 next season.

I too think this could be Agents sturring it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Richard J[/cite]I suspect Parky is on good money , probably one of our last remaining legacies of the Prem .

Not according to RM, his explanation for re-signing Parky was that he was cheap, but the reality may be different.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: stilladdicted[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Richard J[/cite]I suspect Parky is on good money , probably one of our last remaining legacies of the Prem .

Not according to RM, his explanation for re-signing Parky was that he was cheap, but the reality may be different.

He was signed up as Manager, on his Assistant Manager's rate, so that may well be the truth
  • Options
    Interesting first task for new board. Do they let parky talk to pne and consider getting their own man in or refuse pne permission.
  • Options
    He was signed up as Manager, on his Assistant Manager's rate, so that may well be the truth

None of us know the exact nature of his contract , cheap in the CCC could be high in L1.

The interesting point for me is why did he do a u turn on Huddersfield to stay as our number two ? Although they have been in the doldrums for the last decade I think most on here would agree that they have enormous potential . If Blackpool can make the Prem Hudders certainly could and now finally look like punching their weight again.

Pardew was not really a 'Charlton type' Manager and I think he always wanted to get back to the Prem , ironically he has got there again despite not because of his time with us .

Was Parky promised a crack at the number one job at some stage ? Remember Murray wanted to interview him when Curbs went or was he offered a financial incentive to stay ? I suspect it could have been an element of both .
  • Options
    Maybe Parky would take Akpo with him?
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Richard J[/cite]Was Parky promised a crack at the number one job at some stage ? .[/quote]

Yes,not sure when but Murray did say as much a while ago.
  • Options
    I think Parkinsons U-turn with Huddersfield happened because Charlton gave him a pay rise. Curbs got similar when he made a few noises about jobs at Birmingham and QPR.
  • Options
    I think Parky is on a one year contract - if so he could be looking for a new job in the summer regardless of whether we get promoted or not. This might be his agent's way of sparking a bit of interest in his services or getting his contract extended.
  • Options
    I wouldn't be shocked if Parky went elsewhere but to Preston???? Why would he swap the Addicks with a realistic chance of promotion to a team who are having a nightmare season with a realist chance of relegation?

Obviously he will feel he may be "on the way out" at the Valley, in light of the takeover but he'd be better off waiting for the tin tack rather than running off to Preston in my view.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: American_Addick[/cite]Dowie has announced his "interest" in Preston.

"Enegising the End"
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    This is probably just BS. Why would PNE want him anyway?
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]I wouldn't be shocked if Parky went elsewhere but to Preston???? Why would he swap the Addicks with a realistic chance of promotion to a team who are having a nightmare season with a realist chance of relegation?

Obviously he will feel he may be "on the way out" at the Valley, in light of the takeover but he'd be better off waiting for the tin tack rather than running off to Preston in my view.[/quote]

True, but let's say he was offered a three year deal at Preston (or elsewhere) and he has a few months left on his contract here and is less than confident that it will be renewed. What would you do in his shoes? If it were me I'd simply ask if the new owners would match the terms and if they say yes, then sign a new contract, if not leave. To hell with waiting for a pay-off, it won't be that much anyway.
  • Options
    As I tweeted yesterday, @leaburn, there is an enormous amount of irony to this. A large section of our 'support' have spent much of the season berating our Manager despite the fact that he has consistently delivered in terms of results though admittedly not always in terms of performances. Parkinson will be sought by PNE for he can deliver results where there is no budget.
    He might just look at the length on his contract, the potential uncertainty of new owners and their intentions, and decide to upsticks. This would be a victory for our boo-boy contingent who seem to be increasingly prevalent in modern day football.
    I he were to go I would not blame him.
    I hope he stays and this is all paper talk.

Happy New Year
  • Options
    A much, much larger section of our support vocally support Parky than berate him. When a small section started singing an abusive song, a much, much bigger number shouted them down and started singing Parky we love you. And that song was heard again over the next few games.

I don't want to start off an old argument, but do we have to villify our support base so much? We're not perfect, we have some idiots and we have been known to have some unrealistic expectations. As you say, that's the way modern football is going all over the country - and in my opinion that is linked to the money fans pay and the view of footballers as detached from supporters.

But we've also witnessed an unbelievable collapse over a number of years, more than our share of hearbreaking disappointments, and some truly shocking performances - but still turn up in our thousands.

We're not so bad.
  • Options
    Parky has every right to be worried - he's been involved in football for long enough to know that promises aren't worth much in the game. Until yesterday his boss was Richard Murray, now it's two guys who he doesn't necessarily know and won't have the same relationship with and who may have their own thoughts and plans. I'm sure he's aware of Jimenez's role at Newcastle and that he's good mates with Gus Poyet. It may be that if Brighton, who are on a bit of a slide, don't get promoted this year that Poyet might leave at the season's end for a fresh challenge.

If his contract is up for renewal then...
  • Options
    Well he's out of contract in June and so the timing seems a bit suspicious. I don't think those suggesting his agent planted the story in The Sun are necessarily being too cynical.

Didn't he get his last contract extension on the back of a rumour that another club was after him?

If PNE offer him the job, I would expect him to go , simply for the security of a 2-3 year contract , because the new owners are surely not going to consider extending his contract at the Valley until promotion has been secured.

The new owners come in with the huge advantage of a manager whose contract is almost up, so if they do decide at some point over the next six months that they want a change, it's not going to cost them big money. It's a good position for them to be in and they're not going to chuck that advantage away on the back of a rumour that Preston might be after him.
  • Options
    We will be swapping places with them in a few months anyway.
  • Options
    It's Mark Kinsella I worry about here...

I know departing managers usually like to take their backroom staff, but not always and if not then often enough they get replaced when new managers come in.
  • Options
    Slater has said that Parkinson's job is safe for the time being, so that's that. Believe me, PNE would not want him anyway and they are all but doomed so it wouldn't exactly be a good career move.

As for the usual 2+2=5 business, Poyet would not want to leave Brighton anyway, it is a work in progress and there is nothing like success - leading them to promotion in a new stadium is too tempting and he would be a fool to go anywhere else as they are a club on the up.

I just hope that if they give Parky any cash he doesn't spunk it on another Benson....
  • Options
    New owners only mean one thing,we do business on our terms.With only 6 months of contract remaining feel he is on his way out and having heard from others, names that have been mentioned feel that 2nd quote could be the person who takes the job on for the new owners.