Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Parky to Preston?

2»

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2011
    [cite]Posted By: bigstemarra[/cite]Slater has said that Parkinson's job is safe for the time being, so that's that.

I just hope that if they give Parky any cash he doesn't spunk it on another Benson....

I'm not sure that is that. ''For the time being'' isn't much use to Parkinson when his contract expires in five months anyway.

If Preston offered him a 2/3 year deal, he would surely go. He's got a family to consider and he'd be a fool not to take the longer-term security if it were offered.

Totally agree about Benson. I doubt S&J are impressed with PP's one ''big'' money signing this season and will not alllow him to sign anyone new without informally running the names past Dennis Misnomer first ...
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    [cite]Posted By: bigstemarra[/cite]I just hope that if they give Parky any cash he doesn't spunk it on another Benson....
    [cite]Posted By: incorruptible addick[/cite]Totally agree about Benson. I doubt S&J are impressed with PP's one ''big'' money signing this season and will not alllow him to sign anyone new without informally running the names past Dennis Misnomer first ...
    Depends what he gets to spend. I'd agree Benson is a very limited player but he is one that can score goals in a team who create chances for him, while playing alongside the right type of partner. His record of 7 goals in 16 league games is pretty decent, all from open play as well.

Proven goalscorers aren't cheap, especially if they're young or have more to their game than just goals.

A few years ago Fleetwood cost us around £125k. He had just one very good season in the Blue Square Prem. He was even out of contract, the fee was compensation because of his age. Would have cost more had that not been the case.

Last summer Ronnie Moore said they'd only sell Le Fondre for around £3m. Even if they'd sell him for £1m, we couldn't afford that. They wanted millions for someone that had only scored regularly in League Two.

Parky has done well to put a new squad together on a wage budget that is said to be around half of what it was the previous season.

Whether he gets the best out of them is another debate, but for £250k you won't find anyone that is a proven goalscorer above non-league level and has a good all round game.
  • Options
    Surely, if we allow PP's contract to come to an end there will be nothing more to pay?

If there is a serious offer on the table from PNE, that puts the club into a difficult position - do they offer a new contract to PP to get him to stay or do they let him go and find themselves in the position of having to replace him at short notice?

I suspect that the ideal situation for the club is for there to be no serious offer, allowing the new owners time to assess PP and decide whether or not to offer him a new contract when his current one expires.
  • Options
    Parky's immediate boss has not changed - moved from MD to Chief Executive

The real clue to the future will be in the transfer window.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: bigstemarra[/cite]Slater has said that Parkinson's job is safe for the time being, so that's that. Believe me, PNE would not want him anyway and they are all but doomed so it wouldn't exactly be a good career move.

[/quote]

Six months or so ago the thought that Alan Pardew would be managing Newcastle in the Premiership, or that Paul Konchesky would be Liverpool's staring left back looked a little fanciful.

PNE need a manager is the only definite here, and they have parachute money, regardless of whether they are going down or not, a job is a job and someone will take it.
  • Options
    PNE have no parachute money - they have never been in the premiership. It remains to be seen if they put their money behind a new appointment or go for a cheap option (which Parky would be) and take their chances....
  • Options
    Was told today that Burnley are interested, an altogether different proposition for Parky than an already relegated Preston. If the new 'owners' had seen us play much recently I doubt they would have been very impressed and seeing as they have already said one aim is to increase crowds a The Valley this may give them a get out without immediately alienating some fans.