Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Adult only hotels.

No, not for those sort of adult only holidays. For reasons that I won't go into I've been thinking about taking the missus away for week in the sun in the next month or two but can't afford to spend a fortune. We went to a hotel last year in Gran Canaria for a bit of winter sun that didn't accept bookings from parties with under 16's. Bliss. No screaming, shouting kids/parents at all hours of the day and night, no swimming pool full of beach balls/inflatable crocodiles/whales/dive bombing 7 years olds and no stroppy teenagers mopping about. Trouble is, same hotel has now more than trebled in price. And it's already full anyway.

Been looking around but there seems a real gap in the market unless you go down the Sandals, Mark Warner route which costs a fortune and I don't really want to travel further than 3-4 hours for a few days in the sun. Seems like very few others around. Anybody stayed anywhere else like this....?

Yes, before you all start in at me, I'm fully aware that children and parents are entitled to thier holidays too. It's just that I've reached an age now where I want a bit of peace and quiet on my hol's and not to have to listen to little Robbie or Kylie getting told off for the 10th time that day...

Comments

• Las Coronas Playa Hotel in Costa Teguise Lanzarote. Was and still may be a Thomson Gold Hotel so there are a few old folk but no kids and the resort is very nice and good weather all year round.

Not stayed there but have stayed next door in the apartments and from what I saw, the Hotel has a nice pool and have stayed at worse.
  • Jump leads for two!
  • If you look on Thomson and First Choice websites you can select "Adults" or "Couples" as part of the search criteria.
  • [cite]Posted By: cafcdan18[/cite]Las Coronas Playa Hotel in Costa Teguise Lanzarote. Was and still may be a Thomson Gold Hotel so there are a few old folk but no kids and the resort is very nice and good weather all year round.

Not stayed there but have stayed next door in the apartments and from what I saw, the Hotel has a nice pool and have stayed at worse.

Wandered in there by accident with my missis and kids.
    The look of disgust by some of the hoildaymakers made my blood boil.

Nice Spanish tapas bar/restaurant opposite though.
  • Just go outside the school holidays.

Simples innit.
  • Even when you do go outside school holidays still see plenty of kids. Not as many mind.

Ill send you one that I have been recommended for Turkey BA but i think you would have to wait till at least april for better weather. So probably no good but is very good value.
  • I'll echo Curb-it's advice, go for Turkey, and perhaps look for a cheap villa near Marmaris/Aegean coast. There seems to be plenty of availability and therefore cost isn't a problem. From experience Turkey is a cheap place too in terms of meals and beer and they discourage kids from being loud.
  • Went to Turkey last year, and never go during school holidays. Still had kids shouting and running around. It almost seems that the fewer children there are the more noise they make to make up for it.
    Out of holidays you seem to get a lot of under 5s. Why parents feel that under 5s need a holiday is beyond me.

Robbo, if a drunk adult had accidentally walked into your family hotel and started swearing I imagine he would have got the same reaction. Horses for courses.

As for real advice, the thing people overlook in this day and age is the travel agent. If you pop into a shop and talk to the travel agents they will be able to recommend loads of holidays with the parameters you are after.
    Just remember, if you use their advice do the decent thing and book through them, don't take it away and book online.
  • I feel the need to take my 3 under 5's on holiday to annoy people like you
  • [cite]Posted By: DRF[/cite]

Robbo, if a drunk adult had accidentally walked into your family hotel and started swearing I imagine he would have got the same reaction. Horses for courses.

Why were Robbo's kid drunk and swearing then? Not sure thats the same horse or course.
  • Sponsored links:

• Thanks for the suggestions so far folks much appreciated. It's one of those things that seems to polarise people I know. Those with kids naturally get used to having them around and can "tune them out" for want of a better word. Those of us without aren't used to the disruption and racket that comes with them at a time when you just want to relax. Nobodys fault but it is very anoying when you try to limit any potential problem by going out of school holidays or going long haul or keep raising the hotel budget only to find that the anklebiters have still beaten you to the sunloungers once again.
  • edited January 2011
    [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: DRF[/cite]

Not sure thats the same horse or course.

Neither am I.
  • [cite]Posted By: DRF[/cite]Why parents feel that under 5s need a holiday is beyond me.

So parents with children under 5 don't need a hoilday?
  • [cite]Posted By: pilchard[/cite]Jump leads for two!

Twust your daddy.......
  • [cite]Posted By: DRF[/cite]Went to Turkey last year, and never go during school holidays. Still had kids shouting and running around. It almost seems that the fewer children there are the more noise they make to make up for it.
    Out of holidays you seem to get a lot of under 5s. Why parents feel that under 5s need a holiday is beyond me.

That's a bit strong, people with young children are entitled to holidays as well!

Regardless, we have three under five and take them away three or four times a year here in Australia and are very strict on their behaviour, especially when there are other people around us.

However, some parents let their kids run wild and just don't give a toss about their behaviour.

Last week we were in the garden of a pub here and there were a load of kids, including ours, playing in the sand playground which had slides etc.

Anyway, one of my boys complained that his new sandals had gone missing and I remembered that I had seen a pair of kids, no older than five, running round with them.

Just as I remembered that I saw the same pair of kids running past with another pair of kids shoes and they ran to the fence, beyond which there is a big drop-off down to the foreshore, and hurled this kids shoes right over the fence - where they had already chucked my sons and several other kids shoes.

I wasn't having that so I gave them an earful and found their (drunken, sluttish) Mother who when informed what her little angels had been up to replied that they were "only mucking about" and went back to her friends and left her kids to it.

So, although I feel you are being a tad harsh on parents with youngsters I do understand that being around certain families - if you can call them that - can be a complete nightmare.
  • edited February 2011
    Nothing wrong with well behaved kids, but in my experience that's 5% maximum these days. Fortunately 100% of people on here are decent parents and would never expect other people to put up with their little angels having a tantrum...

Edited for exaggeration more like 20% of kids, to be fair...
  • I cant see why people with children get annoyed for those of that that dont have young children and choose to have a child free holiday. Cant see the problem myself.
  • edited February 2011
    i have a young family and dislike other kids , love mine but no real fondness for other kids

i also dislike people
  • [cite]Posted By: Robbo on the wing[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: DRF[/cite]Why parents feel that under 5s need a holiday is beyond me.

Sorry I did actually mean to say 'need a holiday abroad'
    Youngsters don't like sun and its bad for them. There are plenty of UK holiday parks designed with young children in mind which have all the entertainment they need. Don't stick them in an airport for three hours, on a plane for 4 and then in 30+ heat for a week, they would be just as happy travelling a couple of hours up the road.
    Not that I expect parents will agree to that either.
  • [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]i have a young family and dislike other kids , love mine but no real fondness for other kids

i also dislike people

For support of our size the number of fans travelling away with their kids is quite impressive....
  • Sponsored links:

• So I am not supposed to take my kids to Portugal for a week and have to go to Butlins instead :(

DRF - Harshest parent in the world or a jaffa, cant decide which :)
  • edited February 2011
    Best to go for a ''Thomson Gold Holiday'' Exclusive holidays for 16+. Went to ibiza with the GF a coupple of years back when i was 18, both stayed in a hotel in Es Cana, was really nice, 4* , no screaming little kids, swimming pool wasnt over croweded, and still did the whole entertainment program if you liked that kinda stuff (I'g waterpolo volleyball darts etc) and also had really good evening entertaiment, as well as great food, so if your looking for a good adult holiday, choose a Thomson Gold Package, Or Hotel
  • If that was the Hotel Panaroma Matt, i stayed there as a 15/16yr old (before Thomson Gold). Cracking holiday and met a lovely girl i continued seeing at home.

Feel old now...

Back to topic, i can see it from all angles (apart from DRFs wind-up post), and fully understand why someone who have worked hard and saved up for a break don't want to be relaxing on their sun lounger with loads of kids shouting and screaming.
  • How about Sharm El Sheikh?

Not at the moment, but the political situation in Egypt will calm down soon and there'll be a lot of cheap holidays on offer in Sharm el Sheikh.
  • [cite]Posted By: DRF[/cite]Robbo, if a drunk adult had accidentally walked into your family hotel and started swearing I imagine he would have got the same reaction. Horses for courses.
    I'd not be delighted if a drunken sweary adult was in the bar on my holiday and I'm no ankle-biter fan.
  • [cite]Posted By: Southendaddick[/cite]So I am not supposed to take my kids to Portugal for a week and have to go to Butlins instead :(

DRF - Harshest parent in the world or a jaffa, cant decide which :)

Yep. You remember when you made the choice to have kids? You made the choice to sacrifice some of your freedoms. You did realise there were sacrifices didn't you?

When I made the choice not have kids, I made the choice not to sacrifice the freedom of relaxing hot foreign holidays and therefore don't believe that other parents should take those freedoms from me with their snot-nosed, ill-mannered brats.
  • [cite]Posted By: Mortimerician[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: DRF[/cite]Robbo, if a drunk adult had accidentally walked into your family hotel and started swearing I imagine he would have got the same reaction. Horses for courses.
    I'd not be delighted if a drunken sweary adult was in the bar on my holiday and I'm no ankle-biter fan.

Rather a swearing drunk than a screaming child. At least the adult might pass out at some point.
    [cite]Posted By: Mortimerician[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: DRF[/cite]Robbo, if a drunk adult had accidentally walked into your family hotel and started swearing I imagine he would have got the same reaction. Horses for courses.

Rather a swearing drunk than a screaming child. At least the adult might pass out at some point.

Or you can stick one on him, rather than have a chav tell you - "leave him/her alone, he's only 4 (..5...6...7...8...9 etc etc)" :-D
    [cite]Posted By: Robbo on the wing[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: DRF[/cite]Why parents feel that under 5s need a holiday is beyond me.

Sorry I did actually mean to say 'need a holiday abroad'
    Youngsters don't like sun and its bad for them. There are plenty of UK holiday parks designed with young children in mind which have all the entertainment they need. Don't stick them in an airport for three hours, on a plane for 4 and then in 30+ heat for a week, they would be just as happy travelling a couple of hours up the road.
    Not that I expect parents will agree to that either.

Having brought up 3 daughters I actually think you have a point. Until the age of 10 or so anyway.
  • I'm glad you agree Len. I think that's actually the problem with out-of-school-holidays holidays. I don't actually mind children when they are over 10 or so as they are generally better behaved, and more able to entertain themselves, while out of the holidays you get under 5s who need constant attention.