Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Controversial referee decision overshadows Charlton victory

edited February 2011 in General Charlton
http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/sport/8826057.Controversial_referee_decision_overshadows_Charlton_victory/

Comments

• Not for me it doesnt!
  • Nor me
  • I doubt he'll ever referee a game ever again but at least he will look back on his career and think, "at least Charlton won".
  • The record books already say 1-0.
    Can't see any Shadows, nor Cliff for that matter.
  • Not for me either. Controversial or not we won, they lost, that's life. No overshadowing for us.
  • the non goal was controversially given before the right decision was made.
  • Colchester manager on the radio now, said the ref blew his whistle anticipating the linesman flag which never came and the fourth official told him to disallow the goal.
  • [cite]Posted By: Debaser[/cite]Colchester manager on the radio now, said the ref blew his whistle anticipating the linesman flag which never came and the fourth official told him to disallow the goal.

fair do's
  • They just said they asked the ref to speak to them but he refused. typical....
  • Got to play to the whistle. Ref stopped the game by blowing. Is that correct? Major fuck up by him.
  • Sponsored links:

• if the ref blows his whistle then the game is dead. he blew, game stopped, ball hit net. no goal.
  • edited February 2011
    The game is stopped once the referee blows his whistle.

He can't pretend he hasn't blown it and allow the game to continue.
    And he certainly can't allow a goal "scored" after he stopped the game.

Mistake or otherwise, the referee's conduct in pretending he hadn't blown was totally unethical - he should be asked to explain his actions and dealt with accordingly.

Well done the 4th official, who intervened in the cause of fair play.
  • [cite]Posted By: Debaser[/cite]Colchester manager on the radio now, said the ref blew his whistle anticipating the linesman flag which never came and the fourth official told him to disallow the goal.
    Well thank the lord someone actually used their eyes in their head to discern what happens. Listened to a succession of clowns on TalkSpurt completely fail to explain what happened "a foul", "the linesman gave it", "the linesman went back to the ref". It does make me wonder what people do at matches.
  • edited February 2011
    Why do they keep moaning for colchester had plenty changes to score we took our change and scored simple as
  • I assume the linesmen pressed the buzzer on his flag and then realised he was wrong so didn't put his flag up, however as soon as he pressed the button then the ref blew his whistle. They say a ref will never change his mind. Well he did twice today in the space of 2 minutes.

He may be getting stick for something that his linesmen did.
  • The ref clearly screwed up but as has been said, he finally got the decision right. To be fair to him, at least he was prepared to reverse it. Can't imagine Durso doing that.
  • [cite]Posted By: Jpb Junior[/cite]I assume the linesmen pressed the buzzer on his flag and then realised he was wrong so didn't put his flag up, however as soon as he pressed the button then the ref blew his whistle. They say a ref will never change his mind. Well he did twice today in the space of 2 minutes.

Sorry, but what is this "buzzer on his flag" business?

I must have missed something! Are they wired up with radios now?
  • edited February 2011
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]

Not just me confused then!
  • [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Jpb Junior[/cite]I assume the linesmen pressed the buzzer on his flag and then realised he was wrong so didn't put his flag up, however as soon as he pressed the button then the ref blew his whistle. They say a ref will never change his mind. Well he did twice today in the space of 2 minutes.

I think so

But the buzzer is a strap around the referees bicep that buzzes when the lino puts his flag up

Good idea I think, it takes a special case to nause that up........
  • Only have the buzzer in Prem and Championship, not in Leagues 1 or 2.
  • Sponsored links:

• Gutting to be a Colchester fan haha .
  • Then he just got it wrong then
  • Not only did he completely lose it over their 'goal' incident but i also felt he turned down what looked like 2 decent penalty shouts for them as well. Well played ref!
  • [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]Not only did he completely lose it over their 'goal' incident but i also felt he turned down what looked like 2 decent penalty shouts for them as well. Well played ref!
    commentary said they both looked like dives
  • [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]Not only did he completely lose it over their 'goal' incident but i also felt he turned down what looked like 2 decent penalty shouts for them as well. Well played ref!

Me and my mates were convinced he'd give a "softie" to make it up to them. Good for him he didn't.
  • I wonder what the referee assessor sat in the stands, made of the ref's performance tonight?
  • I agree with Chirpy I was terrified every time the ball went anywhere near our box.

I agree with jpb on the buzzer story as that was my interpretation and I was sitting next to a match official delegation who were absolutely aghast.
  • [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]Only have the buzzer in Prem and Championship, not in Leagues 1 or 2.

There's a difference between being mic'ed up (as they are in the top two leagues) and the buzzer.

Buzzers are common place throughout professional and semi-professional football. On the handle of the flag is a button, which the assistant presses when he wishes to draw the referee's attention to something. This sends a signal to a box on the referee's arm (hence why they sometimes appear to have very square boxy biceps), which vibrates. Was designed so that referees wouldn't miss flags, as has happened in the past. Very simple, and now the gear is quite cheap so even low level referees like myself have them!
  • [cite]Posted By: allez les addicks[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]Only have the buzzer in Prem and Championship, not in Leagues 1 or 2.

There's a difference between being mic'ed up (as they are in the top two leagues) and the buzzer.

Buzzers are common place throughout professional and semi-professional football. On the handle of the flag is a button, which the assistant presses when he wishes to draw the referee's attention to something. This sends a signal to a box on the referee's arm (hence why they sometimes appear to have very square boxy biceps), which vibrates. Was designed so that referees wouldn't miss flags, as has happened in the past. Very simple, and now the gear is quite cheap so even low level referees like myself have them!

Thanks for that, I wondered what on earth was going on!