Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Yeovil v Charlton | 5th Feb 2011 | Preview, Poll, Views and News

WSSWSS
edited February 2011 in General Charlton
I was tempted to write copy and paste the preview of the postponed Rochdale game from last week as many things remain the same. This will be Chris Powell’s first away game. He still doesn’t know his best team. He is still to define his own style of play.

What has changed since this time seven days ago is that we have picked up an extra three points and kept another clean sheet – although not very convincingly. We still have the problem that has hounded us for months and that is we are not creating enough chances for our more than capable strikers. The fact that our right back was the most creative player on the pitch on Tuesday night says it all.

I’d like to think that Powell and his team won’t take an away team attitude to Yeovil and really does go for the jugular. Our record away from Floyd Road is impressive and if we want to keep the prospect of automatic promotion in our own hands then we need it to continue.

In terms of team selection we were told Racon had not been training in the lead up to the Colchester game so he could make a welcome return in the centre of the park, with Wagstaff being the likely fall guy and McOxo moving back out to the right hand side where he has played well. Injury dependant, Freddy Bessone will be looking to build on his impressive debut in the left back berth with Matty Fry stepping in for possibly his last game as an Addick if he doesn’t make it. I doubt Reid will be thrown into the mix despite an ineffective showing by Jackson on Tuesday.

Bradley Wright Phillips capped a decent debut with a superbly taken goal and is a shoe-in to play against a team who were his rivals not so long ago. Who partners him is still up for debate. Many will say Eccleston deserves a chance up top - and with Joe Anyinsah’s history of injury problems two games in five games may be a bit too much - he may get his (twitter) wish. ;-)

Regardless of team selection we will have a starting eleven and bench that should be expected to pick up maximum points down at Yeovil. That being said I can’t see past a 1-1 draw for some reason.

Come on you reds.

Comments

• I can see a win here, possibly 2-0 or 2-1, would like to see Eccleston start with BWP.
  • As stonemuse says, I'd try BWP and Eccleston and bring Racon back into the centre if he's fit enough.

If we play that team I can't see anything else than an away win but I don't think it will be that comfortable as Yeovil have picked up a good points haul lately: LAST EIGHT GAMES = W5 D2 L1... that's play-off form
  • Play Ecclestone!
  • I can see us getting a draw here, which (depending on other results) would probably not be good enough. We really need to go on a long unbeaten run (like Millwall and southampton did last season) to cement a place in the play offs and give us a remote attempt at going up automatically.

For me, I think Racon should come back in for waggy (McCormack will provide that extra tackler in midfield and as long as francis is as good going forward as he was the other day, then I think we should be ok down the right).

It would be hard to drop Jackson for Reid, but I think its something Powell should consider.

I would start with Eccleston and BWP up front and aim to play the ball along the floor and in behind their defense.

I have gone for a draw here (0-0).
  • Robert, why is it a remote chance of going up automatically? It's in our own hands, we don't have to rely on any other results yet or anything like that.

Think it's quite positive at the moment to be honest. Crunch games against Saints x2, Bournemouth, Huddersfield and Peterborough are the ones that will define our season I think.
  • [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Robert, why is it a remote chance of going up automatically? It's in our own hands, we don't have to rely on any other results yet or anything like that.

Think it's quite positive at the moment to be honest. Crunch games against Saints x2, Bournemouth, Huddersfield and Peterborough are the ones that will define our season I think.

I just think that Brighton/Saints/Bmouth seem to be playing the football and getting the results needed for automatic promotion. I know anybody can beat anyone in this league, but I think we seem to be more prone to slipping up than the teams around us. I really hope I'm wrong, but I think a play off place is more realistic.
  • should we just do our player marks in here?

going to see a similar performance as against colchester where our players new found belief will allow their quality to see them through with all three points and reward to the travelling masses who will now be going,what with the 100% record under scp. a word of advice though,just check what the weather will be like in advance and dress appropriately. heroes lol.

0-2 and into the play off zone
  • McOxo right midfield, Racon returns, Wagstaff and BWP upfront. Third clean sheet for SCP. 2-0, Wastaff and Jackson to score.
  • [cite]Posted By: incorruptible addick[/cite]McOxo right midfield, Racon returns, Wagstaff and BWP upfront. Third clean sheet for SCP. 2-0, Wastaff and Jackson to score.

I'll go with that too. I'd use Ecclestone, Anyinsah and Reid as tactical subs. 1-2
  • Reid in for Jackson - will be interesting to see how a Reid/Bessone combination fares.. Racon for Mac, Eccles for Anyinsah, and go for it!!
  • Sponsored links:

• It's all about momentum with so many games coming up 0-2, another clean sheet, BWP and then Eccleston late on to seal it.
  • Racon definitely in place of McCorcack or McOxo
  • Will be surprised to see any changes let alone all the ones being suggested.

Anyinsah is very important up top especially away and waggy gives us pace, tracking back, assists and goals.

Yeovil are the form team in the division and we are the top away scorers so expect a free scoring game with the the lead changing hands more than once.

However our bench will will be the difference so a late goal to seal a 2 - 4 away win.
  • Unchanged side...

Charlton win.
  • My team would be:

[align=center]Elliott
    Francis---Dailly---Fry---Bessone
    Semedo
    Wagstaff----Racon----Jackson
    Anyinsah---Bradders[/align]

Subs:
    Worner
    Solly
    Doherty
    McCormack
    Reid
    Ecclestone
    Benson
  • Not sure we'll get another clean sheet - Elliott has made some important saves in the last couple of games and as every goalkeeper will make a mistake sooner or later, maybe now is the time for him to let one in. Nevertheless, I have voted for us to win this one (as usual!). I expect yet another unconvincing scrappy affair though, as Chris Powell continues to assess the squad.
  • I didn't think McCormack was very impressive on Tuesday although he did clear it off the line at the end. Would bring Racon back in if he's fit.

Waggy was pretty ineffective so maybe it will be Ecclestone's chance to start.
  • In the Colchester game the two lowest player marks were Waggy & Jackson who are I assume are our creative wing players. Suggest replacing Jackson with Reid and McC in place of Waggy which will allow Francis to overlap and McC to cover the defensive duties. Then if we are ahead in the second half Jackson can replace Reid.
  • [cite]Posted By: lancashire lad[/cite]In the Colchester game the two lowest player marks were Waggy & Jackson who are I assume are our creative wing players. Suggest replacing Jackson with Reid and McC in place of Waggy which will allow Francis to overlap and McC to cover the defensive duties. Then if we are ahead in the second half Jackson can replace Reid.

So we lose the two highest scorers for the Club this season?
  • A tough call on picking the team.....it would be quite hard to guess the formation and players (especially in attacking terms) that we will see for this game.

This sort of fixture has 'draw' written all over it - it won't be easy.
  • Sponsored links:

• Actually I choose this squad instead

[align=center]Elliott
    Wagstaff---Semedo---Racon---Jackson
    Eccles---Bradders
    [/align]

Subs:
    Worner
    Solly
    Doherty
    McCormack
    Reid
    Anyinsah
    Benson
  • Eccles seems a bit more reliable to create something then what I think Anyinsah would.
  • We win 3-1. Eccles to score two, Anyinsah one, dunno who will score for Yeovil.
  • 5-1 to Charlton , brace from BWP , (C'mon its got to happen sometime!)
  • edited February 2011
    2-3 Charlton win!
  • can see us grinding out at least a draw maybe even a victory by a single goal

i'm almost certain we're play off bound so it wont be the end of the world if we lose
  • 1-0 or 0-1, I'm really not sure which. We've got lucky with some decisions and the clean sheets are not totally on merit, but we've got new invention and firepower going forwards now. At home, we should be beating Yeovil with ease but at their place it'll be tough.
  • [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]i'm almost certain we're play off bound

Is that 95% certain or 99% certain, OoohAaah ......?

;o)
  • Very good recent form but they do have a brittle streak... albeit one that they haven't shown for a while

Of their five home league defeats this season, four have been by a two goal margin: 0-2 Hartlepool, 1-3 Exeter, 0-2 Shef W, 1-3 Dagenham

The last 8 suggests marked improvement though with 5 clean sheets (3 out of their last 4 home games) and 17/24 points
  • [align=center]Elliott
    Semedo
    Wagstaff----Racon----Jackson
    Eccleston---Bradders[/align]