Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

First Away Games - Memories

edited February 2011 in General Charlton
My eldest (he posts on here) and a couple of mates are going to Yeovil for his first away game on Saturday, they are getting thr coach down. He is jolly excited at the adventure that awaits him. I wish I was sharing the day with him, however he's a big boy, so rights of passage and all that!!!
I haven't been away for some time, which has prompted the old memory bank and started me thinking..
One of my first aways was with my dad and all his cronies to Gillingham, FA Cup, mid 70's, we left early, so they could get beered up, stopped somewhere on the A2? and went into a big boozer, I noticed there was a coach outside as we went in. It was the players coach, at the bar was Killer and co. all having a sly one before the game. My old man spoke to Killer who said 'Its ok its only scotch, not beer'...cant remember the result....
My first away with mates was QPR about 1979/80, there was a huge row on the tube, coppers smacking everyone as they came down the escalator, claret everywhere, glad most of that shit is in the past, not a nice day out that one!! Most have been a blinding laugh!!
For some reason I remember Harlow Town FA Cup, early 80's Killer scored the flukiest goal I have seen.
Anymore?

Comments

• Mine Wembley, as a ten year old (I think! thats the first one I can remember anyway)...

But first away game proper was our first away game in the PL against Newcastle, Rufus got sent off and we drew if i recall. That year I also went to Man Utd (which was good as most of the kids at my school supported them and had never seen them play. let alone been to OT. So I bragged about that for a while....we were even 1-0 up at one stage).
  • One of the disadvantages of having a father with a sieve for a memory is that I have absolutely no idea what my first home/away games were. I was so young so don't have a hope of knowing myself and my dad in his infinite wisdom never thought to write something like that down!

I think my first 'home' game was Sheffield Wednesday at Selhurst, a 0-1 defeat in September 1990

I think my first away game was at the Manor Ground Oxford, a 0-1 victory in April 1993

But alas... I'll never be sure!
  • My first home game was against Bolton (glamour tie) and we won 3-0....(i cant remember the year, I think it was either 93 or 94
  • 1981. Fa Cup 5th Round at Ipswich.
  • My first away game was at Highbury in the League Cup in 1986. We'd had as a good run that year as in the previous round we'd beaten QPR 1-0 at Selhurst courtesy of Steve Thompson. That was the game when the floodlights famously failed.

Bob Bolder was making one of his first appearances for us and was pretty awful to be honest. Arsenal cruised to a 2-0 win, Curbs scored an o.g in the 4th minute and Niall Quinn headed the second midway through the 2nd half.

First away game outside of London was at Norwich in 1988 when we were again beaten 2-0 with Ruel Fox and Kevin Drinkell getting the goals.
  • edited October 2015
    Watford away about 91.

Remember a good sing song in the pub on the corner of the ground,
    that bloomin long walk around the allotments,
    Steve Brown getting injured,
    little Perry crawling under the fences and goading the watford fans in the middle section and a tug of war occurring with us holding his arms and the police pulling his legs,
    A getting arrested for D&D,
    Fatrob having a fight on the train with Chinese August,
    a fight with Watford on some playing field after,
    and Larry the Lamb having a fight with a ticket inspector on the way home.

Remember thinking if all away games are like this, then blimey !
  • edited October 2015
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Watford away about 91.

Remember a good sing song in the pub on the corner of the ground,
    that bloomin long walk around the allotments,
    Steve Brown getting injured,
    little Perry crawling under the fences and goading the watford fans in the middle section and a tug of war occurring with us holding his arms and the police pulling his legs,
    A getting arrested for D&D,
    Fatrob having a fight on the train with Chinese August,
    a fight with Watford on some playing field after,
    and Larry the Lamb having a fight with a ticket inspector on the way home.

Remember thinking if all away games are like this, then blimey !

AFKA that quite possibly could have been my first away game as well I cant remember which one it was because i went to my first 2 there the first we lost 2-0 and im sure the second was 2-1 gorman getting one back.

The first on my own was Palace away bowyer scored for us not really memorable for the game as me and my mate got mugged at Knife point at Tulse Hill on the way to the game
  • i think mine was colchester in the cup around 82????
    we won 1-0 (og i think) after struggling to get out of our own half for most of the match.
    may have imagined it but i think they had a sort of scaffold board floor for where we stood. the original bouncy bouncy.
  • too far back to remember, would've been back in the late 70's, my old man would've taken me - I'll ask him when I speak to him, he remember's everything !!!
  • mine was at Selhurst Park....FA CUP 3rd Round Replay 1968...we won 2-0, the very next away game came very rapidly in the 4th Round away at Highbury...the famous "we took the North Bank" game...Tube broke down on the way there, massive crowd of Charlton on the way to the ground, loads of punch ups....especially inside when Arsenal scored....great day out for an 8 year old, I swear my feet didnt touch the ground on the way out....I still have both match day programs....they will be boxed up with me......Happy memories and thanks to my family for making it so.
  • Sponsored links:

• Mine was a 3-2 win at the Bridge in 75. Killer scored 2. I seem to remember that we played two games in two days.
  • Spurs, April 1987. I was 9. I was as much in awe of Hoddle, Waddle, Ardiles and Clive and Paul Allen than supporting Charlton. We lost 1-0 to a Clive Allen goal - that was the season he got and astonishing 49 in all competitions. Neil Ruddock apparently made his senior debut in this game as well. Bit of useless trivia thrown in....
  • mansfield town 77-78 season. i think we won 3-0. we stayed up that season by one point. relegated team blackpool finished on 37, with us and '6' others ending on 38. could say that this result kept us up, lol.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Robert[/cite]My first home game was against Bolton (glamour tie) and we won 3-0....(i cant remember the year, I think it was either 93 or 94[/quote]

Big fat Pete scored a screamer that night, a blinding perfomance (which was ararity in them days)

I would not remember my first game, my dad always took me from about 18months, first real memory was probably being 3-0 down against Barnsley and winning 5-3, first away game with Dad was Spurs in FA Cup 1-1, with mates??? Prob Manutd relegation day, fanbloodytastic day all round.

My boys first away game was 4-2 Arsenal, told him not to expect that every week.
  • First away game was the last game of the First Division winning season 1999/2000 against West Brom. We had already been crowned Champions whilst they needed a result to stay up and hope Walsall didn't better their result.

Remember chanting "Walsall are winning 1-0, even though they weren't", game seemed fairly uneventful and they won it 2-0. West Bromich (sp) did not seem the nicest place.
  • First london away - 78/79 Palace: lost 1-0, remember me and my mate standing as 12 year olds outside the ground watching CAFC fans rampaging. We had loads there that day.

First outside london - 83/84 Brighton lost 7-0 and again remember the CAFC fans up to no good and thinking I was part of it whilst staying 20 metres away from any "action" at all points.
  • Arsenal away inthe cup. Can't remeber the year, but Alan Campbell missed a sitter.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: LawrieAbrahams[/cite]Mine was a 3-2 win at the Bridge in 75. Killer scored 2. I seem to remember that we played two games in two days.[/quote]

I was at that one, I remember the newspaper pix the next day, straight in the scrap book!! Great match!
  • Millwall at the Old Den, midweek game around Feb 92 I think. Nondescript 1-0 defeat.
  • edited February 2011
    A 4-1 defeat by Watford in 1986,
    Nicky Johns got injured and George Shipley scored for us,the following week i think we were up at Maine Road and lost that one 1-0 which i think was Bob Bolders debut
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2011
    First game of the season in the early 80's against Cardiff. I was about 15, hadnt told my parents where I was off to. I use to go with mates that were a bit older than me.
    Went by Lewis coaches for about £6 return, I had a complete shock when I asked when we could stop for a loo brake and somebody passed me a big plastic bottle.
    The coach got a puncture on the way, and the driver was unwilling to crawl under the coach to replace the inside rear wheel, one of the passengers fixed it in the end.
    We won 3-0, and on the way home our coach drove down the M4 side by side with the Charlton coach. Good times.
  • First away game was Crystal Palace away in around 76-77. Drew 1-1. I think Swindlehurst put them ahead early on and we had to wait until late before a young Stevie Gritt smashed home a deserved equaliser to send thousands of Charlton crazy.

First away outside London was a 5-5 draw at Eastville against Bristol Rovers. Went by Lewis coach, what a day out, totally addicted to away games from that day on. Remember they had a red hot striker in those days by the name of Paul Randall or as they called him "The sharpest shooter in the West"
  • Went up to Norwich because I was so excited that we'd signed Bradley Allen (the original Bradley-relative-of-former-Arsenal-striker) and I just had to see him and Matt Jackson (an exciting loan at the time). Fairly dull game, but we ended up winning 1-0 with Bradders capping a decent debut with a goal. Where have I heard all this before?
  • [cite]Posted By: TEL[/cite]mine was at Selhurst Park....FA CUP 3rd Round Replay 1968...we won 2-0, the very next away game came very rapidly in the 4th Round away at Highbury...the famous "we took the North Bank" game...Tube broke down on the way there, massive crowd of Charlton on the way to the ground, loads of punch ups....especially inside when Arsenal scored....great day out for an 8 year old, I swear my feet didnt touch the ground on the way out....I still have both match day programs....they will be boxed up with me......Happy memories and thanks to my family for making it so.

Tel, I never made the Selhurst Park game but went to the original tie which was 0-0. We were flying at that time. Went to Highbury - that was my first away game. Magic experience. Loads of Charlton there. Happy days eh? Out with my Dad, swept along with the crowd - Highbury with its period stands. Everything the Valley might have been but for the war and perhaps a bit more ambition.

Happy days eh?
  • [cite]Posted By: LawrieAbrahams[/cite]Mine was a 3-2 win at the Bridge in 75. Killer scored 2. I seem to remember that we played two games in two days.

I didn't go but I well remember the result which was completely out of the blue. Oh for future victories at Stamford Bridge!
  • [cite]Posted By: petetheaddick[/cite]First game of the season in the early 80's against Cardiff. I was about 15, hadnt told my parents where I was off to. I use to go with mates that were a bit older than me.
    Went by Lewis coaches for about £6 return, I had a complete shock when I asked when we could stop for a loo brake and somebody passed me a big plastic bottle.
    The coach got a puncture on the way, and the driver was unwilling to crawl under the coach to replace the inside rear wheel, one of the passengers fixed it in the end.
    We won 3-0, and on the way home our coach drove down the M4 side by side with the Charlton coach. Good times.

I was also on Lewis' for that one. Was that the game when the numbers in the away support suddenly increased by an extra 30 who had jumped into the toilets from the home end?
  • Brizzle R at Eastville, Nov 1960. Again had only eyes for Summers to score, again it was Leary. We lost 3-1. Liked their old-fashioned ground but with my
    fairplay mentality of that time, I felt their fans were particularly 'unsportive'....
  • My 1st away match at QPR in November 1970 which if I remember correctly we won 4 -1. However I think they beat us 3-0 in the return at the valley
  • edited February 2011
    When we first played Man Utd in the premier league (midweek night game), me and my dad got one of the charlton coaches up there. Anyways, we must have only been travelling about 35 minutes and probably barely left london, when the coach got a flat tire...

There was a problem on getting the wheel off and it took the recovery people ages to sort it out while we were waiting on the hard shoulder. After an hour we were back on the road, and we all thought we could miss the start of the game if the coach driver didnt put his foot down...

Someone on a coach further ahead of us told us of really heavy traffic up ahead and so we managed to to avoid it and made the game with 10 minutes to spare...

However, the people caught in the traffic missed the start of the game...

I think everyone on our coach must have stepped on horses crap that day or something!

Does anyone else remember this or was involved in it?
  • I honestly can't remember what mine was, would have been around '96 '97.