Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

First Away Games - Memories

2»

Comments

• edited February 2011
    Not totally sure of the dates, so it was either a stinking 0-0 at Barnet in the League Cup or a good 2-1 win at QPR - we were 1-0 down then got a stonking equaliser before Bradley Allen got the winner, after which he celebrated fairly provocatively in front of his former fans. Slightly aggro atmosphere - seem to remember running to the station afterwards like the lightweight that I am.
  • [cite]Posted By: TEL[/cite]mine was at Selhurst Park....FA CUP 3rd Round Replay 1968...we won 2-0.

That's some game for your first away match TEL.
    A lot of my mates used to cite that game as their favourite Charlton match, until Lennie got us back in Div 1(we all started going in '62).
    Wasn't there myself unfortunately.

My memory fails as to my first away. but it was almost certainly against Millwall.
    Went to the Den a lot in the 60's, not always to see Charlton away, sometimes just to see a game.
    I think the fear must have been part of the appeal!!
  • Brentford this year! Since then I've been to P'boro, Colchester, Spurs and Sheff Wed, off to Yeovil at the weekend as well.
  • First away game: West Ham 1986/7, when Melrose scored after 9 seconds

First out of London: Norwich (same season), when Mark Reid knocked the ref out.

Eventful couple of games!
  • [cite]Posted By: Uboat[/cite]Not totally sure of the dates, so it was either a stinking 0-0 at Barnet in the League Cup or a good 2-1 win at QPR - we were 1-0 down then got a stonking equaliser before Bradley Allen got the winner, after which he celebrated fairly provocatively in front of his former fans. Slightly aggro atmosphere - seem to remember running to the station afterwards like the lightweight that I am.

Barnet was right at the start of 95/96 season. Won second leg 2-0, Dougie Freedman was playing for Barnet.

QPR game was the following season, remember Bradley Allen's celebration very well. I think that was also the game when Gary Poole scored a 30 yard thunderbolt on his debut.
  • The dullest 0 -0 at Fulham, maybe 6 or 7 years ago I'm not sure. I remember being able too see nothing about from Bartlett missing a sitter.
  • [cite]Posted By: Nozza2310[/cite]The dullest 0 -0 at Fulham, maybe 6 or 7 years ago I'm not sure. I remember being able too see nothing about from Bartlett missing a sitter.

Remember that game, was my first visit to Craven Cottage and amazingly our away allocation had sold out with a few days to go before the game, so had to sit in the neutral area. How Bartlett did not get at least 1 goal that day is astonishing.
  • I think it was the 0-7 at Brighton Jimmy Case got a hat-trick and we were 0-5 down at half time.
  • Don't specifally remember first away game, but numerous memories from the 1974 onwards of travelling all round London and nearby to watch the numerous derbies of the time: Brentford, Orient, Chelsea, Fulham, West Ham, Spurs (the year they came down), Palace, Millwall, Watford, Luton, Colchester, Brighton, Gills etc. My Dad and Uncle in the front of the car and an assortment of cousins crammed in the back always trying to hold our breath for the duration of the drive through the Blackwall tunnel. If one of us succeeded it guaranteed a win! Happy days.

We usually arrived way too early and seemed to always see the team coach arrive hence a very full autograph book at the time. On one occasion while standing outside the Cottage at Fulham, Colin Powell came over to my dad and me and gave us his complimentary tickets, he said he recognised us from the front of the east terrace where we always stood - this seriously impressed a 10 year old!

First coach trip memory way away to Wolves in the 5th round of the FA Cup 1976. We might have lost but it was a great away day.
  • [cite]Posted By: Jpb Junior[/cite]I think it was the 0-7 at Brighton Jimmy Case got a hat-trick and we were 0-5 down at half time.

Big Charlton turn out that afternoon.Jimmy Case had a shot like Peter Lorimer's.Funny though I think Charlton had not conceded a goal prior to that match.I took my six year old boy to that match and after the fourth goal some Charlton lads came over and asked my boy if they could read some of his comics.Which they did.All good humour and what Charlton is all about.
    My first away match was in the 80/81 promotion season at the Old Den.We lost 2 nil.
  • Sponsored links:

• QPR 1 CAFC 4 me an my dad --kenning scored 2.
  • Anfield away 1989 , can remember going up there in my future father in laws Jag with my girlfriend now wife , can remember vivdly Ian Rush getting a penalty , cheating scousers.
  • My first EVER away game was a small game at St Andrews (Birmingham) vs. Leeds United in the Play Off Final. My Mum took me up on the supporters coach and I was off school the next day as I was knackered!

What a game, what a result, and the Leeds fans were so gracious in defeat too: "Best team won ont night" they said outside the ground. Lots of singing on the way back and at some point. I used to have a video of that game, watched it over and over again, know every kick of the game. Would love to see it again actually.
  • My first of many away was as a young lad at Watford in Jan 96, taken by my Dad, remember it like it was yesterday. Gary Penrice put them 1-0 in the first half in front of our fans, then in the second half Robbo and Bowyer - who were pretty much our best players that season, and both got a few goals (Bowyer was top scorer) - scored one each and we won 2-1. We were in the thick of the promotion race and I loved it!
  • [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]QPR 1 CAFC 4 me an my dad --kenning scored 2.

Same for me. I think Ray Tracey scored the other 2. Me and my dad were standing in the loft right at the front. You could get away with waving a red n White scarf around in the home end in those days.

Also wentto the Arsenal cup match at Highbury in 1968/69 season but I don't remember too much.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Valley McMoist[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]QPR 1 CAFC 4 me an my dad --kenning scored 2.[/quote]

Same for me. I think Ray Tracey scored the other 2. Me and my dad were standing in the loft right at the front. You could get away with waving a red n White scarf around in the home end in those days.

Also wentto the Arsenal cup match at Highbury in 1968/69 season but I don't remember too much.[/quote]

QPR away remember it well as it was our first away win for over a year.
  • The Arsenal cup game in 68/69 season is a game i would have loved to have gone to with Charlton!

But at 3 well! lol!

I know my first game against spuds around 77/78 season and i was hooked!

Reading was my first away game via Lewis coaches around about 1980 and will never forget it!Night game cup
  • [cite]Posted By: Red5[/cite]My first EVER away game was a small game at St Andrews (Birmingham) vs. Leeds United in the Play Off Final. My Mum took me up on the supporters coach and I was off school the next day as I was knackered!

What a game, what a result, and the Leeds fans were so gracious in defeat too: "Best team won ont night" they said outside the ground. Lots of singing on the way back and at some point. I used to have a video of that game, watched it over and over again, know every kick of the game. Would love to see it again actually.

This one?

Get in there Shirty!