Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

CAFC NIGHTMARE X1

edited February 2011 in General Charlton
Noticed that the old cafc dream team chestnut had been dredged up again
At the risk of being negative and treading closely around the liable laws would anyone like to propose their cafc all time worst X1.Perhaps those players we loved really but we knew were no good ,or those that may have been good at one stage but let themselves down when they got here .Other than Andy Reid feel free to include any Dowie signings .Go on you know you want to !(From a latter era Gary Churchhouse and Alan Dugdale spring to mind for example )

Comments

• Nicky Weaver
    Paul Curtis
    Peter Shaw
    Steve Dowman
    Jamie Stuart
    Amdy Faye
    Neil Redfern
    Kevin Smith
    Paul Bacon
    Mike Small
    Mark McCammon
  • Too many from the last 3 seasons to make this fun.
  • Tony "45 Minutes of Madness" Caig - despite his 100% shutout record
    Carl "the tanker" Tiler
    Talal "at number one, it's" El Kalej
    Jamie "wow man" Stuart
    Neil "the disappointment" Redfern
    John "doughnuts" Barnes
    Tom "WTF" Soares
    Bryan "honest pro" Hughes - not a bad player really but a dreadful left winger
    Paul "one high point" Kitson
    Mark "the lumberer" McCammon

All but two Curbs signings/introductions. What do ya know!
  • Myhre
    Butterfield
    Primus
    El Kalej
    Traore
    Rommedahl
    Pouso
    Faye
    Cook
    Mcleod
    Hasselbaink
  • How can you include Tommy Myhre cafcdan? id like to know your reasons?

Mine based on recent times.

GK: Andy Petterson - Was dreadful in 98/99 season in the premiership.
    RB: Danny Butterfield - Wasnt as bad as some thought but loaning a palace player whilst bottom of league isnt the way forward!
    CB: Tahar El Khalej - Past it
    CB: Carl Tiler - Really didnt rate him
    LB: Djimi Traore - No explanation
    RM: Dennis Rommedahl - Frustrating
    CM: Amdy Faye - See Traore
    CM: Chris Bart-Williams - Apart from Derby free kick, didnt do much and rarely noticed when he was playing
    LM: Lee Cook - unfit and couldnt be bothered
    ST: JFH - Disappointing, Overweight, Moan Moan Moan, 2 Goals
    ST: Matt Svensson - Good in 00/01, poor for the next 3 seasons and didnt score.

Subs:
    Tony Caig
    Scott Sinclair
    Greg Halford
    Izale McLeod
    Chris Dickson
    Neil Redfearn
    John Barnes
    Keith Gillespie
    Tresor Kandol
  • So far, this would make encouraging reading for Pawel Abbot.
  • edited February 2011
    Thought Myhre was one of the worst keepers I have seen play for Charlton and that was what I was basing the team on- players I have actually seen since supporting Charlton. Thought he was a very average keeper for the League we were in, not agile enough and let in a lot of goals from distance. For some reason the Boro cup away game sticks in my mind when the free kick from 35 yards went in and I think Myhre should have saved it.

Maybe a little harsh but could not think of someone else in the last 13 years.
  • He did keep us in a good few games though Dan, remember the 0-0 away draws with Liverpool and Newcastle?
  • Tony Lange
    Paul Curtis
    Paul Friar
    Alan Dugdale
    Bobby Goldthorpe
    Gary Churchhouse
    Dick Tydeman(thought he would be a good player but never did it)
    Paul Bacon
    Hugh McAuley
    Barry Endean
    Dick Plumb(who else)
  • The worst thing about this team, is that I can think of loads of possibilities; especially from the last few seasons!

I can't remember Svensson being that bad....surely McLeod should usurp his place? Not least for the cash that Pardew spunked on him and the fact that we ended up releasing the useless lump on a free!

...and he was certainly worse than Kandol/Dickson!
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: I-SAW-POUSO-PLAY[/cite]He did keep us in a good few games though Dan, remember the 0-0 away draws with Liverpool and Newcastle?

Guess on reflection maybe Petterson would be more suited to this list. Looking back he did make some good saves at Anfield, just for some reason Boro/Bolton away hinder his spell in the side.
  • Mike Walker
    Paul Curtis
    Peter Shaw
    Bobby Goldthorpe
    Djimi Traore
    Amdy Faye
    Terry Bullivant
    Brendan O'Connell
    Alan Davies
    Paul Davies
    Barry Endean

Sub: Ray Tumbridge

Truly an ex-Addick team incapable of scoring a goal, let alone winning a game! I shudder just remembering some of those names....
  • More subs (not mentioned above I think...) - Tony Hazell; Mike Kelly; Ruben Agboola... Urghhhh!
  • Talking of useless older players John Sewell never impressed me at right back.
  • I know I'll get flamed for this but the Bulgarian headless chicken always frustrated me, at least 2 major gaffes per game followed by a schoolboyish rush after the ball to try and put his error right.
    As Peacock once said if we don't know where he's going to be how do the opposition. But I'd rather we knew as he unbalanced the side too often for my liking.

BTW it's Kishishev.
  • [cite]Posted By: cafcdan18[/cite]Myhre
    Stopped reading there.
  • rommedahl- when we bought him i thought he was gonna be the dogs ,instead he turned out to be so frustrating he drove me mad tackled like a pansy [hope that aint sexist],and if anyone thinks that goal against palace is gonna appease me then it aint it was a toe poke from a player with no bottle ,all in all shite .
  • [cite]Posted By: iainment[/cite]I know I'll get flamed for this but the Bulgarian headless chicken always frustrated me, at least 2 major gaffes per game followed by a schoolboyish rush after the ball to try and put his error right.
    As Peacock once said if we don't know where he's going to be how do the opposition. But I'd rather we knew as he unbalanced the side too often for my liking.

BTW it's Kishishev.

We're all entitled to an opinion but I disagree.

He played all his football with us in the Prem and in six of the seven seasons he played we were never threatened with relegation.

Dowie etc come in and drop Kish and we get relegated. Coincidence? Possibly but it could also be us missing the phenomenal workrate (as measured by pro zone or whatever it was called) of one of the most committed players I've seen wearing the shirt in 48 years.

Even at the age of 36 he made our much vaunted midfield of Semedo and Racon look third or fourth rate at The Valley when we lost 4-0.
  • David campbell
    Paul bacon
    Ralph milne ( although fergie did not think so)
    Andy jones ( just for missing from 2 yards at oldham )
  • [cite]Posted By: scabbyhorse[/cite]David campbell
    Paul bacon
    Ralph milne ( although fergie did not think so)
    Andy jones ( just for missing from 2 yards at oldham )

Which David Campbell?
  • Sponsored links:

• 'Keeper Derek Forster ('73/74) rarely gets a mention probab'y because people try to forget his conceding 26 goals in eleven games although he played a blinder in a pre-season game agaist Palace, I remember. He'd be my choice.
  • [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: iainment[/cite]I know I'll get flamed for this but the Bulgarian headless chicken always frustrated me, at least 2 major gaffes per game followed by a schoolboyish rush after the ball to try and put his error right.

BTW it's Kishishev.

We're all entitled to an opinion but I disagree.

He played all his football with us in the Prem and in six of the seven seasons he played we were never threatened with relegation.

Dowie etc come in and drop Kish and we get relegated. Coincidence? Possibly but it could also be us missing the phenomenal workrate (as measured by pro zone or whatever it was called) of one of the most committed players I've seen wearing the shirt in 48 years.

Even at the age of 36 he made our much vaunted midfield of Semedo and Racon look third or fourth rate at The Valley when we lost 4-0.

talking about kish the other night got to say the man never hid ,and what he may have lacked in ability he made up for with work rate he always ran his nuts off unlike most players these days.
  • The one lennie lawarence signed len , I think he was a northern ireland international , excuse any grammer as im using phone in hospital bed , charlton life has kept me going for the last three weeks.
  • [cite]Posted By: scabbyhorse[/cite]The one lennie lawarence signed len , I think he was a northern ireland international , excuse any grammer as im using phone in hospital bed , charlton life has kept me going for the last three weeks.

Ok.

I knew the first David Campbell so wondered if you meant him!

I hope you recover soon!
  • [cite]Posted By: Pedro45[/cite]More subs (not mentioned above I think...) - Tony Hazell; Mike Kelly; Ruben Agboola... Urghhhh!
    Didn't think Rueben Agboola was that bad. He just wasn't John Humphrey.

Ralph Milne and Tahar El Khalej are musts, I'd say. Can't argue with Andy Jones either, but I'd be tempted to include Kenny Achampong too.
  • Where is Marcus Bent?
  • edited February 2011
    Randolph
    ??? Gibbs Halford Traore
    Faye Pouso D.Sinclair S.Sinclair
    Hasselwank Dickson
  • [cite]Posted By: UP...THE...ADDICKS[/cite]Randolph

How bizarre
  • edited February 2011
    Akpo sodje for not being able to kick a ball properly and making me cringe if he was going to have more than one touch with his feet
  • [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: UP...THE...ADDICKS[/cite]Randolph

How bizarre

Wind up surely!