Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

POLL for Right Back in Charlton Dream XI

edited February 2011 in General Charlton
Dave Rudd is compiling an XI for Four Four Two mag.

There is a right back slot up for grabs. Who do you think should fill it ?

Comments

• I'm surprised Billy Bonds isn't included or Norman Smith who played over 400 matches between the wars.

Despite mentioning that Johnny H gets it
  • johnny h for me. sorry luke
  • Sorry Lens, my mistake. Forgot to add Billy Bonds to the list, have amended now
  • Johnny H,oh to have him there now even at his age!
  • John H, what a player and a bargin
  • I'm not going to vote as I've only seen 3 of them play for us. Out of the 3 Luke Young would be my pick.
  • What about Yassin Moutaouakil....?

Seriously though, I think Danny Mills is worth a mention from his first spell with us. Although I'd go for Humphrey or Young.
  • Cant be humps, sadly palace ruined it, browney 4 me but more of a cult hero than dream player. Greg sheilds would have got my vote. ;-)
  • edited February 2011
    No question in my mind....all above were good RB's....but Bobby Curtis was the man. Tenacity, hard tackler, great penalty taker, ran for the full 90 minutes, old fashioned right back that played hard but fair.....went onto to become a good midfielder as well!
    Bob Curtis all the way!!
  • Simon Francis
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Redmidland[/cite]No question in my mind....all above were good RB's....but Bobby Curtis was the man. Tenacity, hard tackler, great penalty taker, ran for the full 90 minutes, old fashioned right back that played hard but fair.....went onto to become a good midfielder as well!
    Bob Curtis all the way!!

Billy Bonds was a brilliant youngster - one of us, buccaneering full back, loved to attack.
    But I was too young to see him play many games, so my memory is a bit hazy.

Johnny Humphrey, hero of our Parkhurst days .....loved his runs up the line, his tenacity and quality.

Luke Young ......well he was Luke-warm when he joined us, improved year on year culminating in winning a string of England caps while a Charlton player. Must be mentioned that he only played Prem football, so should really get the vote as the best.

Favourite though was Bob Curtis. He was just 17 when he made his debut to replace Billy Bonds - one of us!
    And Charlton stalwart throughout most of my early years as an Addick. So he gets my vote!
  • I'd have been surprised if it had been anywhere near close.
  • Too young to see Bonds/Curtis, so it has to be between Humph and Stevie Brown and I can't choose!

I loved Humph in the Shitehurst days, but he went to Palace and I still remember Brownie in goal for us (and getting us a 2-2 draw, if I remember rightly) at Maine Road and the man is a bit of a Charlton legend, so he gets my vote.

This kind of stuff isn't easy!
  • Johnny H - no doubt about it
  • Agree with Oggy all the way. Bob Curtis is your man!
  • Hewie all day long
  • This poll is never going to give a true reflection if most of the punters have not seen the older players.

Bonds was an outstanding player and probably better than JH, however he wasn't here long enough to be honest.

John Hewie was an international and great servant to this club and a proper legend unlike many that are given this title on here.

However in this instance JH gets my vote.
  • I voted Luke.

But can their be a Simon Francis option please?
  • John Hewie was by far the best right back.

He won caps for Scotland when they had Denis Law etc

Billy Bonds only played a few games at right back.
  • [cite]Posted By: Starinnaddick[/cite]John Hewie was by far the best right back.

He won caps for Scotland when they had Denis Law etc

Billy Bonds only played a few games at right back.

Hewie was capped as a left back and Bonds played close on 100 games for us at right back as far as I remember. Perhaps another old duffer can confirm!
  • Sponsored links:

• Billy Bonds played 95 games for us.
  • Luke Young.

Absolutely miles ahead of all the other players on the list I saw - that is, everyone except John Hewie.

He was a first-team regular under four different managers in the Premiership.

Has any other Charlton right back played for England? Luke was called up into England squads by three different England managers, earning his first caps under Sven.

Everyone else on the list played for Charlton outside the top division. Only Luke Young of this group played his entire career against the very best players in England at a time when the English Premiership was unrivalled as the best league in world football.

I never saw John Hewie play, but his time at Charlton was as a full back in a slowly, inexorably deteriorating side (did he play when we let in 11 against Villa?); I loved watching John Humphrey play - but he played in tier two and the bottom echelons of tier one, including part of Charlton's record stretch of consecutive defeats; Steve Brown was a legend - but he's clearly not the best-ever right back (although I think he's the best 'keeper on that list); Bob Curtis was a real hero, but some of his football was played at the level we're at now, and he never played in the top flight; and Billy Bonds is a lovely bloke, and a great ex West Ham player, but not a patch on some of the other Charlton names listed.

For me, the only choice is Luke Young. He played for the club at the highest level for his whole career. He played against the best and was the best.
  • John Humphrey all day long
  • humphrey for me. this has to be players that could cut it in the top tier otherwise what's the point?
  • [cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]Luke Young.

Has any other Charlton right back played for England?

Possibly not but JH really should have done. We weren't over-endowed with world-beaters at the time and although we all fondly remember how he bombed forward, he also used his pace to defend to grat effect, often sweeping across t mop up when the CB's were beaten. Absolute class, and by all accounts a genuinely nice bloke too.
  • Jonnie H was my idol as a kid nothing better than watching him go full pelt with the ball at his toes.

He was everything in a player that you wanted.

With the proffesional approach and consistant performances there is no Full back we have ever had better and i include SCP in that
  • [cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]

Steve Brown was a legend - but he's clearly not the best-ever right back (although I think he's the best 'keeper on that list).

according to Colin Camerons Valiant 500 John Hewie "played in every position for Charlton, including the goalkeeping spot on four heart-stopping ,and vital, occassions in Apr.1962(Charlton winning twice and drawing twice)
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: dickplumb[/cite]Billy Bonds played 95 games for us.[/quote]

Thanks for that info.

I was gutted when we sold him to WHU, but it is amazing how long ago it all is and doesn't come easily to mind just how many games he did play. Mind you he was so young when he was sold it is a little bit surprising he played that many games.

Used to see him regularly jogging around Chislehurst after he packed up playing. One of the best players to never win a England cap. If he was playing in today's international setup he would have got the caps he deserved
  • I went to John Hewie's testimonial anyone else remember it.
  • [cite]Posted By: StrikerFirmani[/cite]I went to John Hewie's testimonial anyone else remember it.

Yes i remember it, John Hewie was a languid natural athlete and footballer. Was one of my heros when i first started supporting Charlton, along with Eddie Firmani, what a player he was. Would have been a super star if he was playing today.