Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

POLL for Right Back in Charlton Dream XI

2»

Comments

• Jack Shreeve

Only right back to win the FA Cup as a Charlton player

I may be biased though....
  • Johnny H for me
  • [cite]Posted By: dickplumb[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: StrikerFirmani[/cite]I went to John Hewie's testimonial anyone else remember it.

Yes i remember it, John Hewie was a languid natural athlete and footballer. Was one of my heros when i first started supporting Charlton, along with Eddie Firmani, what a player he was. Would have been a super star if he was playing today.

I do.

Johnny Haynes and Jim Langley of Fulham guested for us if I remember rightly.
  • [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: dickplumb[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: StrikerFirmani[/cite]I went to John Hewie's testimonial anyone else remember it.

Yes i remember it, John Hewie was a languid natural athlete and footballer. Was one of my heros when i first started supporting Charlton, along with Eddie Firmani, what a player he was. Would have been a super star if he was playing today.

I do.

Johnny Haynes and Jim Langley of Fulham guested for us if I remember rightly.

I remember the programme too. They used to put the two line-ups in the centre pages, laid out in classic 2-3-5 style. Hewie's name was in every position in deference to the fact that he had played everywhere for us.
  • Luke Young was certainly very committed and outstanding defensively. He was positionally always spot on and never gave up, often the only play not to do so even during famous regular curbs battering (man city 4-0 a few times).
  • Well, seeing as Rueben Agboola hasn't made the shortlist I'm gonna go for Johnny H.

One of my all time favourites. A class act.
  • Difficult one this, Hewie was the consummate professional. Curtis, Young and Bonds were all very proficient. Steve Brown is one of my favourite Charlton players but I voted for John Humpries as he was an excellent defender and a powerful attacking wing back as were the others. But JH played in the top division and did this for a club without a home.
  • Has to be Bob Curtis for me.
  • [cite]Posted By: lancashire lad[/cite]Steve Brown is one of my favourite Charlton players but I voted for John Humpries as he was an excellent defender and a powerful attacking wing back as were the others.

As was John Humphrey.
    ;o)
  • I can only comment on brown/humphrys/young as i never saw the others play for us. Brownie (imo) was a better CB than RB, and luke young just shades it form JH for me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Johnny H for me
  • edited February 2011
    [cite] Dave Rudd [/cite]
    I remember the programme too. They used to put the two line-ups in the centre pages, laid out in classic 2-3-5 style. Hewie's name was in every position in deference to the fact that he had played everywhere for us.

I remember being miffed that they put the price of the programme up to a shilling instead of the usual sixpence.
    Made the mistake of moaning about it in front of the programme seller who rounded on me, pointing at the photo of Hewie on the front "do you know who that is son, do you know who that is?"
    (Wanted the other sixpence for a bag of nuts, natch)
  • No brained for me, Johnny Humphrey. Luke Young a close second though.
  • I started watching CAFC after Curtis left, but I heard great things about him, as well as Hewie.

However, I voted for John Humphrey....sheer class.
  • Of the players I've seen, John Humphrey all the way!

I don't think he can be vilified for his switch to Palace, given that he was only sold to keep us afloat at the time.

I may be wrong, but I could've sworn that I read something some years back that suggested he didn't want to leave for Palace, & hated the thought of going there, but went for the good of the club. Again, I may be wrong.

He definitely should've been England right back! Way better than Gary Stevens or Paul Parker. Again the little club, unnoticed player situation arises at international level.

Fraser Richardson reminded me of Johnny H a wee bit, in his buccaneering nature, though not quite as speedy, or as accomplished. A shame to lose him though!
  • Has to be John Humph ... I remeber a tackle(I think against John Barnes) where he sort of got inside him and took it off ... I cant even explain it... absolute quality...
  • Johnny H for sure. Watching him made you proud to be Charlton
  • I went for Johnny H . I'm surprised Danny Mills did not get more mentions as he would probably make my bench of seven subs as the right sided defender.

I thought Hewie was more of a Left Back ,I saw Bonds at Wham and he would probably have made my team if he had played for the Addicks in his prime but as others have said so would John Barnes and even Jesper Blomqvist would have a good shout.

Curtis was in my first team and I liked him , but he never played at the top level . Brown would get into a club legends team but nowhere near the best ever. Luke Young was a good shout but I think Humph was a better player at his prime.
  • John H...

You could count the mistakes he made in a season on one fingers of one hand and he made Rob Lee a better player too, his over-lapping/link play definitely got the best out of Lee.
  • Richard J

Hewie was a right back but played for Scotland at left back.
    At the time our regular left back was Don Townsend {father of Andy}
  • Sponsored links:

• Hewie was a right back but played for Scotland at left back.
    At the time our regular left back was Don Townsend {father of Andy}

Thanks for that I knew he had played accross all positions but I guess his Scottish Caps were how I was originally aware of him because until recent times he was our most capped player.
  • Luke Young was good but not as good as Humphrey
  • what was the advert that mentioned a humphrey
  • [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]what was the advert that mentioned a humphrey

A milk advertisement I think.
  • Been watching Charlton since 1965 and John Humphrey is the best right back I've seen in Charlton colours. Absolute class and very consistent