Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Roberto di Matteo sacked

Been placed on gardening leave!!

Crazy

Comments

• Options
    Unbelievable.
  • Options
    The thing is though, is that nothing is really that much of a shocker these days when it comes to manager hiring and firing.

Now I wonder how many lifers would've been calling for his name at the same time as the Howe saga a few weeks back, if he was available..
  • Options
    What a mistake-a ta maka
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Mortimerician[/cite]What a mistake-a ta maka[/quote]

Shaddapappa ya face
  • Options
    Why so unbelievable?

WBA are two points off rock bottom with a goal difference that it only one away from being the worst in the premiership.

As we found to our own cost, the stakes are so high in terms of prem survival that I would have been amazed if they'd kept faith with him...
  • Options
    He's the frankie Ditori of football. :-)
  • Options
    may I be the first to say ..... Thats a job for Curbs.

Eventually he'll get one and we'll say we were right
  • Options
    Bit of a crap decision in my opinion. Hard to compete if your chairman doesn't invest in the team. I think he enjoys the parachute payments from yo-yo-ing too much.
    [cite]Posted By: incorruptible addick[/cite]Why so unbelievable?

WBA are two points off rock bottom with a goal difference that it only one away from being the worst in the premiership.

As we found to our own cost, the stakes are so high in terms of prem survival that I would have been amazed if they'd kept faith with him...

Difference for us though was that we were rock bottom, desperately needed the change, & had at that point ultimately, nothing to lose, & that was after investment in the summer.

If DiMatteo had been given some cash to strengthen, they maybe wouldn't be slipping down quite so quickly. They have been outside the relegation zone all season & that was without serious investment.

With a little bit of cash to strengthen, he could've at least cemented a top flight slot for a 2nd year. I think they will be doomed now.
  • Options
    So who is going down, West Ham West Brom and West Coast Blackpool.

Bet McCarthy is hoping he can play top six everyday.
  • Options
    Terrible decision

They've spent barely anything
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Think this is the craziest decision made this season. Where do they expect to be? WBA have yo yo's for the last few years and this year actually look like they may survive, ok they are on a bad run but have some winnable games coming up and have shown this season they can win away aswell.

Di Matteo has them playing good football and has shown he can spot a player in the market for decent amounts. Odenwingi has looked a very decent striker this season and imho could be the difference between them staying up/going down.

Wonder who they want as a replacement? Please Dowie!
  • Options
    oooh this is a bit of strange decision I think....they play really good football and lets face it, he hasnt really had much money to spend...
  • Options
    Don't panic Mr Mainwaring, Dont panic! The board at WBA deserve relegation for losing their nerve.
  • Options
    ''Craziest decision made this season'' - how come?

Just heard on Sky that WBA have won only twice in their last 18 matches and been bundled out of two cups by lower league opponents. I confess I didn't realise their record was as poor as that, although I knew they were only one point above the drop zone with a terrbile goal difference.

They were relegation bound. They might still be. But a change of regime will at least give them a fighting chance. It worked for us !
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    But 5 days after the end of the transfer window incorruptible?

And what difference does a 3-0 loss away at Man City do?

Since the transfer window closed they have still not won a game, might as well have done it a fortnight ago.

Classic kneejerk reaction they will definitely go down. West Ham fans all over rejoice.
  • Options
    Cue Dowie and his annual 500k for failing....
  • Options
    WBA must be loaded beyond belief, all the money from relegation and promotion with feck all investment, where is all the money going?
  • Options
    A shame for them to miss out on Megson's second coming!

Jeremy Peace is just like Bill Kenright... sucking all the life and money out of a PL club - for me that's as bad for football as City's billions at the other end of the scale.
  • Options
    Because one bad run does not mean he is a bad manager nor that they are relegation bound. 2 wins from 18 games is a poor record (although that sounds like an error as they beat Blackpool 3 weeks ago, and had back to back wins late November?) but this is a side that have beaten Arsenal away, Everton away, held Man Utd away and are not at all cut adrift. They deserved probably to beat Man Utd the other week when Neville should have been sent off and only a couple of wonder saves stopped them beating Wigan on Tuesday.

His style of football is good, he has not overspent and personally I think they now have more of a chance of going down without Di Matteo.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]But 5 days after the end of the transfer window incorruptible?

And what difference does a 3-0 loss away at Man City do?

Since the transfer window closed they have still not won a game, might as well have done it a fortnight ago.

Classic kneejerk reaction

I don't imagine he was sacked for losing to Man City, ISL. I suspect he was sacked for the last 18 games, of which he has apprently only won two.

I agree, they might have been better doing it when the transfer window was still open. Sacking a manager is a delicate balancing act. To do it at the first sign of trouble is too soon. To wait until 18 games into an atrocious run like WBA seem to have had is arguably to delay too long.

If they make an inspirational appointment, they still have time to rescue their season and pull away from Wigan, Birmimgham, WHU and Wolves and overhaul the fast-tumbling Blackpool, who I think will be in the drop zone by the end of Feb.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2011
    [cite]Posted By: cafcdan18[/cite]Because one bad run does not mean he is a bad manager nor that they are relegation bound. 2 wins from 18 games is a poor record (although that sounds like an error as they beat Blackpool 3 weeks ago, and had back to back wins late November?)

Just looked it up and those back to back wins were the first week of November. WBA have won twice in 18 over three months since then , including 'doing a Charlton' by losing to lower league oppoents in two cup comps. And I'm not sure even those who have sacked him are saying he is a bad manager. Simply that it isn't working at the moment and the odds are too high to give him another month to turn it around, by which time it might be too late.

I'm not even particularly commenting on whethere the decision is right or wrong. Merely that I am surprised people find it mad, inexplicable, crazy or surreal, when to me it seems entirely predictable on the back of a managerial record like the one he boasts over the last three months.

And as I write, a Birmingham goal has just seen the Blues leapfrog WBA and push them even closer to the drop zone.
  • Options
    What's the difference between 2 wins in 18 and 2 wins in 16?

Answer: missing out on making any transfers, but perhaps that suits Jeremy Peace.
  • Options
    West Brom won 3 of their last 18 in all competitions

3 points out of the last 24 available... I'm waiting for Holloway's sacking
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: IA[/cite]West Brom won 3 of their last 18 in all competitions

And 4 of their last 18 in the league
  • Options
    edited February 2011

I don't recall anyone wanting Curbs sacked on the run up to our first relegation from the Premiership. Most people realise that in your first season up it's an uphill battle competing against teams that have had years to benefit from Skycash, and would show patience to a manager that had just gotten them promoted.
  • Options

It may not be unbelievable but do they honestly think they should be any better? Too impatient and the wrong decision in my opinion.
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]may I be the first to say ..... Thats a job for Curbs.

Eventually he'll get one and we'll say we were right

Agreed.
  • Options
    I used to live in Birmingham and work with a lot of Baggies and Wolves fans. West Brom always struck me as a decent club, but under invested.

It really is surprising that Di Matteo, who got them promotion last season, should be sacked now when he has had so little financial support.

My guess, and it is only a guess, is that they Chairman has someone already in the frame, just like Pardew and Newcastle, and that the new manager will be given some cash to spend before the transfer window closes. If that is the case, it begs the question why Di Matteo was not given the support?

On the other hand, I could be totally wrong, in which case we might be playing them next season!!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Happy Valley[/cite]
    and that the new manager will be given some cash to spend before the transfer window closes.

The transfer window is closed.
  • Options
    Rumours going round that he'd lost the dressing room and the sacking was planned before the Blackpool match.

As said, seems strange to wait until after the transfer window closed to make this sacking if that's the case.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Happy Valley[/cite]I used to live in Birmingham and work with a lot of Baggies and Wolves fans. West Brom always struck me as a decent club, but under invested.

It really is surprising that Di Matteo, who got them promotion last season, should be sacked now when he has had so little financial support.

My guess, and it is only a guess, is that they Chairman has someone already in the frame, just like Pardew and Newcastle, and that the new manager will be given some cash to spend before the transfer window closes. If that is the case, it begs the question why Di Matteo was not given the support?

On the other hand, I could be totally wrong, in which case we might be playing them next season!!!

No offence, but what planet do you live on ?
    Give him cash to spend before the transfer window closes ????????????? Oh dear.