Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

3 games in how is Chris Powell doing ?

Comments

• Attack is the best form of defence.. ;o)

seems to me we're very happy at holding out 0-0s at HT, but I'm not sure about it against PB..soon see
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Posh score and win a lot a home, not so great away.

And we've tonked them 5 -1 already this season. Whatever happened to Lee Martin?

True charlton tradition we tonk them 5-1 at their gaff, 3-0 to them at ours :-(

can't knock Chrissy, doing a good job, lets move on from Parky whatever would have happened under him hes gone and we need to leave that behind us. Chrissy's big test will be when we go behind in games, lets hope that test is a way away.
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Posh score and win a lot a home, not so great away.

And we've tonked them 5 -1 already this season. Whatever happened to Lee Martin?

Gone back to his parent club I think.
  • I think Powell's lack of experience is showing.

Three clean sheets? Can someone please tell him that's not the way we're accustomed to doing things at all...
  • We tonked Swindon away, but different at home, Brighton tonked us at home, but we got an away draw. I am worried for Saturday simply because we have to concede sometime under Chris, and I wonder how we will react if we do.
  • [cite]Posted By: MuttleyCAFC[/cite]Firstly, we really had to win these 3 games to put us right back into the mix. We have done that and the question has to be asked, whether we would have done so under Parky. I think the answer is probably not. This isn't because Parky was a poor manager IMO but confidence was at a low ebb and in these situations, you have to drag yourselves back into form.

Powell has achieved this with a little luck -in all honesty - but we had 2 home games that with anybody else in charge the crowd would have started to turn on the players and instead under Powell, they continued with their support. I firmly believe this created the environment to get the wins.

Good post Muttley, agree with this
  • [cite]Posted By: seth plum[/cite]I am worried for Saturday simply because we have to concede sometime under Chris

It's the worrying that will cause you to suffer.

;o)
  • If we are going to concede- no better opponents to do it against than Peterboro who are not the best defensively so we could get a few up the other end.
  • Considering the way we played in the twilight of the Parkinson era, failing to beat Brighton and Colchester when they were down to ten men and then surendering a 1-0 lead at home against Swindon, then I'd say that CP has made a great start.

The first job was to get the team playing with a bit of confidence and self-belief and that has come from three narrow wins. The next stage is to be a bit more assertive, the next match - Peterborough is his first real test. They tend to score and concede goals with alacrity (110 goals in 27 league matches) and anything could happen, but we are at home and I'd like to see us take control of the match, neutralise Mackail-Smith and win by playing some smart football.
  • bit of a daft question really considering he's won all 3 gams so far
  • Sponsored links:

• Despite not conceding yet, in the two games I've seen he hasn't really addressed our defensive short-comings which impact further up the field so we cannot impose ourselves on opponents even at home. Realistically that's not going to happen while Doc and Dailly are paired together as we are too scared to push further up the pitch. And sorry to be so negative but I'm not sure how we are going to harness the pace upfront with our main creativity coming from the wings and a not very tall strikeforce. No sign of a plan to get it to Waggy with open space to run onto. But hey...early days!
    Plus points have been the desire to keep it on the floor, the goal threat of BWP and the general air of confidence. Oh and three wins out of three.
  • I wonder if Racon just needed a rest, hence the drop off towards the end of Parky? Macormack coming in might have shored it up but not led to so many goals, will a rejuvinated Racon make a difference? I'm not really a fan of his but who knows.
  • No one has yet mentioned Damian Matthew's role in the renaissance under Sir Chris...
  • Powell said he wanted to give Racon's knee a rest.
  • We will never conceed a goal under powell until the champions League final in 2016 where we will conceed a consolation goal to Statford Hotspids in the 82 minute, the game will finish 4-1 and Jose will announce that SCP is now officially the new special one
  • [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]We will never conceed a goal under powell until the champions League final in 2016 where we will conceed a consolation goal to Statford Hotspids in the 82 minute, the game will finish 4-1 and Jose will announce that SCP is now officially the new special one

I hope you're not a betting man!
  • edited February 2011
    Mutley said: ''Firstly, we really had to win these 3 games to put us right back into the mix. We have done that and the question has to be asked, whether we would have done so under Parky. I think the answer is probably not. This isn't because Parky was a poor manager IMO but confidence was at a low ebb and in these situations, you have to drag yourselves back into form.''

I thought we had been given an official police caution that we weren't allowed to say ''we'd have lost that under Parkinson'' !!!

But it is probably true, and your comments , Mutley, are not dissimilar to what Slater said in explaining why the board felt they had no alternative but to sack the bloke.

Neither Phil Parkinson nor Roy Hodgson are bad people or bad managers. They were both simply the wrong person in the wrong job at the wrong time. Neither of them was sacked for gross misconduct like Andy Gray, or for being a half-wit like Dowie, or reducing their club to within a point of relegation, like Di Matteo. They were sacked because although both were honourable men, it was patently obvious that a fresh approach was needed and a new suit was likely to galvanise an under-performing set of players.

Neither Powell nor Dalglish will go on winning every week. But both are currently getting more out of the same players than their predecessors managed and they have the fans behind them. That will carry both of them a very long way.
  • edited February 2011
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Solaraddick[/cite]No one has yet mentioned Damian Matthew's role in the renaissance under Sir Chris...[/quote]

I'd like to mention Damian Matthew's role in the renaissance under Sir Chris. He's the man!
  • edited February 2011
    [cite]Posted By: incorruptible addick[/cite]or reducing their club to within a point of relegation, like Di Matteo.

It's a side issue but I think that is very harsh on the guy who got them up in the first place eight months ago.

Remember our eight consecutive game losing streak in the first Premiership season, and eventual relegation? Murray kept faith with Curbs and the rest is history.

(edit) just seen the thread on this, so sorry for hi-jacking, but stick by what I wrote
  • edited February 2011
    To be fair i think SCP has tried his best so far, but to be honest i'd expect him to be disappointed with only 9 points gained so far!

What with Rochdale game called off, it should have been 12. ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: incorruptible addick[/cite]Mutley said: ''Firstly, we really had to win these 3 games to put us right back into the mix. We have done that and the question has to be asked, whether we would have done so under Parky. I think the answer is probably not. This isn't because Parky was a poor manager IMO but confidence was at a low ebb and in these situations, you have to drag yourselves back into form.''

I thought we had been given an official police caution that we weren't allowed to say ''we'd have lost that under Parkinson'' !!!

But it is probably true, and your comments , Mutley, are not dissimilar to what Slater said in explaining why the board felt they had no alternative but to sack the bloke.

Neither Phil Parkinson nor Roy Hodgson are bad people or bad managers. They were both simply the wrong person in the wrong job at the wrong time. Neither of them was sacked for gross misconduct like Andy Gray, or for being a half-wit like Dowie, or reducing their club to within a point of relegation, like Di Matteo. They were sacked because although both were honourable men, it was patently obvious that a fresh approach was needed and a new suit was likely to galvanise an under-performing set of players.

Neither Powell nor Dalglish will go on winning every week. But both are currently getting more out of the same players than their predecessors managed and they have the fans behind them. That will carry both of them a very long way.

Good summary, agree with what you said.
  • Its good Chrissy got his first away win under his belt.Especially against a Yeovil side bang on form.
  • So far so good.
  • I still think we are lacking that something that teams like brighton have, I think its just the creative midfielder....I hope that will then allow us to play with a higher tempo and take games to the opposistion.

But he is doing very well so far :)
  • seems to have the midas touch at the moment - luck is on his side as well which is good - something seems to be missing from our play however, just can't put my finger on what it is.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Bexley Dan[/cite]seems to have the midas touch at the moment - luck is on his side as well which is good - something seems to be missing from our play however, just can't put my finger on what it is.[/quote]

A creative central midfielder ?
  • [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Bexley Dan[/cite]seems to have the midas touch at the moment - luck is on his side as well which is good - something seems to be missing from our play however, just can't put my finger on what it is.

Err! Yup.
  • edited February 2011
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Bexley Dan[/cite]seems to have the midas touch at the moment - luck is on his side as well which is good - something seems to be missing from our play however, just can't put my finger on what it is.

Make you right large and well done for helping Bexley Dan out who clearly never spotted that this was a possible area to strengthen.

: - )

Seriously I think a faster CB who would allow us to play further up the pitch is more important. Our creative players (yes, we do have them) would then be able to use their skills where it hurts the other side and the full backs would have easier 10 yard passes to make/wingers shorter runs behind.

At this level this is still a very strong squad. You can always want more (look at Chelsea) but we don't know if the money or the players are available.
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]

Make you right large and well done for helping Bexley Dan out who clearly never spotted that this was a possible area to strengthen.

Seriously I think a faster CB who would allow us to play further up the pitch is more important. Our creative players (yes, we do have them) would then be able to use their skills where it hurts the other side and the full backs would have easier 10 yard passes to make/wingers shorter runs behind.

At this level this is still a very strong squad. You can always want more (look at Chelsea) but we don't know if the money or the players are available.

Yeah, thats it - a pacey defender, the whole team pushes up, Jackson into central midfield and suddenly we've gone from hardly being able to create a chance at home all season, to a free flowing, entertaining team, scoringa hatful of goals. What was i thinking of? Back to sorting out the raffle and the end of year dance i guess.
  • [cite]Posted By: Bexley Dan[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]

Yeah, thats it - a pacey defender, the whole team pushes up, Jackson into central midfield and suddenly we've gone from hardly being able to create a chance at home all season, to a free flowing, entertaining team, scoringa hatful of goals. What was i thinking of? Back to sorting out the raffle and the end of year dance i guess.

Shows how weak your argument is that you have to put words in my mouth to prove it.

Who said anything about free-flowing or entertaining or hat-full of goals.