Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

3 games in how is Chris Powell doing ?

13»

Comments

• [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Bexley Dan[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Bexley Dan[/cite]seems to have the midas touch at the moment - luck is on his side as well which is good - something seems to be missing from our play however, just can't put my finger on what it is.

A creative central midfielder ?

Make you right large and well done for helping Bexley Dan out who clearly never spotted that this was a possible area to strengthen.

: - )

Seriously I think a faster CB who would allow us to play further up the pitch is more important. Our creative players (yes, we do have them) would then be able to use their skills where it hurts the other side and the full backs would have easier 10 yard passes to make/wingers shorter runs behind.

At this level this is still a very strong squad. You can always want more (look at Chelsea) but we don't know if the money or the players are available.

Yeah, thats it - a pacey defender, the whole team pushes up, Jackson into central midfield and suddenly we've gone from hardly being able to create a chance at home all season, to a free flowing, entertaining team, scoringa hatful of goals. What was i thinking of? Back to sorting out the raffle and the end of year dance i guess.

Shows how weak your argument is that you have to put words in my mouth to prove it.

Who said anything about free-flowing or entertaining or hat-full of goals.

Of course it does... So my argument that we need to bring a proper central midfield player in is weak whereas your suggestion to solve the problem is to push Jackson into midfield and buy a pacey centre back is is strong. As i said, we'll have to agree to disagree. You see things differently - i can live with that. Ideally, we need to bring both in but the midfield player is a must and if banging on about it bores you, tough.
  • [cite]Posted By: Bexley Dan[/cite]Yeah, thats it - a pacey defender, the whole team pushes up,

I bang this drum every so often. Lack of pace at CB is the reason we play so deep, so that Elliot in effect becomes our sweeper........and our central defenders don't get stripped for pace.

Of course this tactic elongates our team unit from front to back, meaning our 2 CM's have a lot of ground to cover, often against opponents who flood the midfield, so they sit deeper to prevent opponents running at our CB's centrally on the floor.
    Again, this means our wingers also sit deeper and connection with our strikers becomes lost or intermittant - hence the hoof upfield.

Not only do we not create many chances, but it invites opponents to take the game to us - and brings them within shooting distance.

Playing a higher defensive line would close the gap between our midfield and strikers and would enable us to take the game to opponents.

But first we would need to play a CB with quicker feet, capable of retrieving a situation where opponents get behind our defensive line.
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Bexley Dan[/cite]Yeah, thats it - a pacey defender, the whole team pushes up,

I bang this drum every so often. Lack of pace at CB is the reason we play so deep, so that Elliot in effect becomes our sweeper........and our central defenders don't get stripped for pace.

Of course this tactic elongates our team unit from front to back, meaning our 2 CM's have a lot of ground to cover, often against opponents who flood the midfield, so they sit deeper to prevent opponents running at our CB's centrally on the floor.
    Again, this means our wingers also sit deeper and connection with our strikers becomes lost or intermittant - hence the hoof upfield.

Not only do we not create many chances, but it invites opponents to take the game to us - and brings them within shooting distance.

Playing a higher defensive line would close the gap between our midfield and strikers and would enable us to take the game to opponents.

But first we would need to play a CB with quicker feet, capable of retrieving a situation where opponents get behind our defensive line.

Playing a high defensive line is very risky, even with a quicker centre back. I agree with what your saying, but it could cause some problems for us....

I dont think we can just change from sitting deeper to a high defensive line, our defense wouldnt be able to cope straight away...needs to be a transistion
  • 8. still no Llera

9. still no Llera