Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Standard

edited February 2011 in General Charlton
They had an article about Chis Hughton in there tonight. Apparently after his sacking Paul Ince is now the only black manager currently employed in the four professional divisions.

Yeah, I know, they don't really give a shit about the likes of us, but that is just so poor it's unbelievable.

Comments

• Top quality journalism.....
  • ffs thats shamefull
  • I'm surprised they knew Paul Ince was manager of Notts County, or maybe they think he's still at Blackburn.
  • Not unbelievable at all.

This is the same rag who ran the 'Chris who?' Headline when CP was called up by England.

Waste of good toilet paper.
  • Chris Powells been rumbled - faking it as a black man all these years - i reckon Jim Davidson's exposed him.
  • Someone must have corrected them...

"Born in Stratford of an Irish mother and a Ghanaian father, Hughton was different in that he was a black manager in England. Paul Ince, in charge at Notts County and Chris Powell, recently appointed at Charlton, are the only serving black bosses in the four professional divisions, yet Hughton is adamant that things are now different. "

Standard
  • Is that for real? That is so bad that complaining seems pointless. They'll probably write: "Former Macclesfield striker Clive Powell, now boss at Charlton, has hired the ex Wales international goalkeeper Aled Dyer as club physio at The Valley...."
  • Actually who wrote that article and who is the editor? Someone find their emails, twitter address etc so we can launch a campaign of complaint.
  • Henry, the article was written by Mihir Bose, who I believe is fairly well respected by many.

Personally I've always thought he was a bit of a plum - and it would appear that I'm right on this one!
  • [cite]Posted By: Valley11[/cite]Is that for real? That is so bad that complaining seems pointless. They'll probably write: "Former Macclesfield striker Clive Powell, now boss at Charlton, has hired the ex Wales international goalkeeper Aled Dyer as club physio at The Valley...."

mihir bose.. the man that knows. give him a break - he's made a mistake - ring up tell his boss and get him sacked?
  • Sponsored links:

• Bose is a well known journo and has been writing about football for a long time so I'm even more shocked.

Still going to email tomorrow.
  • Ha ha - looks like they got the email then!

Seriously though, I've got a printed copy here and there's no mention of CP. Fair enough old Mihir is going a bit doolally and losing his memory, but surely SOMEONE else on the world beating Standard sports desk would read the draft and thing, "hang on, didn't one of the London clubs just appoint a black fella"?
  • I said complaining was pointless, which suggests that I won't be 'ringing his boss'. That said, it's a pretty big gaff missing out a black manager when that is largely what the article is about - it's even worse when you write for a London paper and the guy you missed out manages a London club
  • Is it possible the article was written a couple of weeks ago and the Standard decided to use it this week without proof reading it. Mihir Bose is too respected a journo to make a mistake like that.
  • Obviously somebody corrected the electronic version after a complaint.

I did a double take when I read the printed version.
  • here is the printed version Chrissy Powell invisible
  • edited February 2011
    Yeah I saw that too and it pissed me off! Was going to write a complaint tomorrow but you guys beat me to it.

I complained years ago about them printing that we had never beaten Arsenal at home in the prem! New Years Day, us winning one nil (JJ) idiots. Sent the link to the guys boss and got an email back saying sorry.
  • edited February 2011
    It's also been corrected on Mihir Bose's website, and the man himself said Powell was mentioned when asked on Twitter by a certain Riscardo of this parish.

But yeah, it's in print in at least the first edition of the Standard, which says a lot about their sports desk. Haven't seen a second edition (they only do two now), or at least there weren't any lying around on the 22.56 out of Charing X - and I did look...
  • [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]Henry, the article was written by Mihir Bose, who I believe is fairly well respected by many.

Personally I've always thought he was a bit of a plum - and it would appear that I'm right on this one!

He's a Chartered Accountant. No wonder he got it wrong.

:-)
  • http://www.mihirbose.com/index.php/about/

In all seriousness I've always liked and admired Mihir for his broad range of interests and abilities and this appalling lack of attention to detail is untypical.

Some sub-editor ruthlessly chopped it in the wrong place I reckon!
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Some sub-editor ruthlessly chopped it in the wrong place I reckon!

Or it was written a few weeks ago after Hughton got the tin tack but has only just been published?
  • [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Some sub-editor ruthlessly chopped it in the wrong place I reckon!

Or it was written a few weeks ago after Hughton got the tin tack but has only just been published?

Another possibility yes.
  • It could have been written a few weeks before, but someone at the Standard's sports desk should have been alert to what had happened since.
  • [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Some sub-editor ruthlessly chopped it in the wrong place I reckon!

That's my guess. Stupid of them not to admit it though, since it's actually been printed. Doing so only makes it look like Bose is a shit journalist (which he is anyway). I've said it before, and I'll say it again - dirty, shitty rag that I wouldn't wipe my arse with.
  • It wasn't from a few weeks ago as it discusses the keys / gray stuff
  • This is a rag-----even free its a piss take.

London ends for this load of Kak at the River not just football.

They helped get rid of the toad that is Livingston but they do deserve burning for their total contempt of anything South London.
  • Lets face, the standard is possibly the worst paper in history (I would rather read the guardian)...

Its no suprise they make cock ups like that to be honest, whenever I have read it before there have been loads of errors in it (not just about charlton, but in general)..

I dont bother even picking one up anymore, well not unless its raining ....
  • I didn't think Bose was that bad when he wrote for the Torygraph. I must be quite wrong though if the only gig he can get is writing for the Sub Standard.
    I read the piece last night on the train and the thought had crossed my mind that it was a slow news day therefore a 2 page rehash of an old story.
  • I like the sudoko
  • Mihir Bose is a buffoon, now and before this article. I'd rather read Martin Samuels!!!!