Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

What if Arsenal had stayed in Woolwich?

edited February 2011 in General Charlton
Where do you think Charlton would be today if they still were if Arsenal had still became the team they are today?

Been thinking about that question recently as Tottenham are looking to move east, their fans biggest defence to Arsenal fans slagging them off is 'your a south London club anyway'. We were formed in 1905 turning professional in 1920 with Arsenal moving to north London in 1913 so we obviously co-existed for a period of time but always wondered what it would of been like today and if we would of been allowed to exist alongside them a mile down the road. Personally I think we could of never turned professional with Arsenal still there but then again my knowledge and history of that time and events stretches as far as Wikipedia so would be interesting to hear from somebody more knowledgable.

Comments

• We wouldn't be a professional club.
  • I'd have been an Arsenal fan. My grandad was one, but vowed never to watch them once they'd moved. My dad and his brothers all therefore grew up to follow Charlton.
  • Arsenal would not have survived in Plumstead. We would be the bigger club if they stayed there.

In the 40s were were equal but they invested in seats at Highbury and grew stronger. We did not invest and remained virtually all standing only apart from the small lovely stand on the west. missed opportunity by the Glicksteins.......
  • [cite]Posted By: Stig[/cite]I'd have been an Arsenal fan. My grandad was one, but vowed never to watch them once they'd moved. My dad and his brothers all therefore grew up to follow Charlton.
    My grandad used to watch both teams until Arsenal moved up north. Since then, three more generations of my family followed Charlton. So this begs the question: what north London team would benefit from Spurs' departure? Surely the sons and daughters and grandchildren of current Spurs fans won't (or won't be allowed to) defect to Arsenal. If not, who? Barnet? Southgate Olympic? Hop on the train to Milton Keynes.?
  • Arsenal would as Hardy said struggled to survive in Plumstead, the gates were already around 3,000, the ground would have been stuck in an industrial area (across the road from the Bus garage) there would have been no big walk up crowds to sustain the club moving forward.

They had gone bust 2 or 3 years before they moved to Highbury, so the die was cast, what is interesting is that we had no interest when we turned professional or looked at becoming a bigger club to take over the Manor Ground.
  • [cite]Posted By: nichorob[/cite]What if Arsenal had stayed in Woolwich?

They'd have played at The Valley.
  • They'd be mananaged by an Somalian
  • They probably wouldn't have gained their promotion to the 1st division by subterfuge after World War 1, Herbert Chapman would have stayed at Huddersfield - and they would now be moaning about the Valley Express passing through Plumstead, as I'm sure Scully would prefer to be their chairman rather than engaging in the slightly more intellectual task of finding his way to Gillingham. Tottenham fans would be even more unbearable (difficult to believe, but true).
  • Charlton Athletic would have been a local team non-league team for a number of years and probably stayed in Catford. Millwall would probably have stayed North of the river. Woolwich Arsenal would grown to the size of Charlton had by the 1930's. The rest would have been down to how the club was managed. In 2011, a 60,000 seater stadium in the Woolwich area or eyeing-up the Olympic Stadium?
  • Woolwich was too powerful & busy to relocate a poxy football team.
    Therefore Arsenal would have had to stay put on Plumstead common and eventually die out.

Shame they moved to north London really.
    Anti-English,cheating, scum.
  • Sponsored links:

• If Arsenal had stayed at the Manor Ground and survived it's highly unlikely they'd be the force they are now - as mentioned above, even now that ground is right out of the way (it's now the industrial estate on Griffin Manor Way), and the trek to Plumstead was seen as off-putting (what's new, etc).

You can still see terracing from their other ground (the Invicta Ground) across Plumstead Road in the back gardens of Mineral Street - you can peek over the fences and see it - but judging from the street layout that must have been a tiny ground.

But was Charlton's decision to become a senior team (in the summer of 1913) a direct result of Arsenal moving that same summer, or just coincidence? And how did we pull in such massive crowds to The Valley when Woolwich Arsenal struggled a couple of decades earlier?

There's of other London football what-ifs vaguely connected with all this - Arsenal tried to merge with Fulham before the Highbury move, who themselves had first dibs on Stamford Bridge when it was built. Their refusal meant Stamford Bridge's owners decided to form their own club... Chelsea.

More here if you like your football history.
  • edited February 2011
    Where did the Arse play their games before they moved?
    Was it on the common?

Also, I've just realised that the little ditty, I before E except after C is wrong!

How weird is that, You posted what I wanted to know!
  • Arsenal also played on Plumstead Common in their earliest years. I don't think they ever played on Woolwich Common (or in Woolwich at all) - we did that.
  • One of the gripes Henry Norris had about the Manor Ground was freeloaders watching from the sewer embankment.
  • [cite]Posted By: Tutt-Tutt[/cite]Charlton Athletic would have been a local team non-league team for a number of years and probably stayed in Catford. Millwall would probably have stayed North of the river. Woolwich Arsenal would grown to the size of Charlton had by the 1930's. The rest would have been down to how the club was managed. In 2011, a 60,000 seater stadium in the Woolwich area or eyeing-up the Olympic Stadium?

We moved south before Arsenal moved north.

Be interesting to see what the crowds were for all 3 clubs from 1910 to 1913 then.

I believe Millwall actually turned down the chance to become professional after winning the Southern league or something, Arsenal were offered it and took the chance and the rest is history!
  • edited February 2011
    Wasn't the Southern League professional in those days anyway? Arsenal were the only Football League club south of Birmingham for many years. (Which is why Spurs are the last non-league club to have won the FA Cup, as they were in the Southern League in 1901.)

Millwall's move does get overlooked, that must have been an upheaval - the Greenwich Foot Tunnel should never have been built in the first place, it'd have kept them over there ;-)

SLL - where on the Isle of Dogs was Millwall's old ground?
  • [cite]Posted By: InspectorSands[/cite]Wasn't the Southern League professional in those days anyway? Arsenal were the only Football League club south of Birmingham for many years. (Which is why Spurs are the last non-league club to have won the FA Cup, as they were in the Southern League in 1901.)

Millwall's move does get overlooked, that must have been an upheaval - the Greenwich Foot Tunnel should never have been built in the first place, it'd have kept them over there ;-)

SLL - where on the Isle of Dogs was Millwall's old ground?

We played in several areas in Millwall area of the Isle of Dogs;

Dogshome.gif

There's a thread on a wall site about a lot of our support living south side anyway as they worked on the docks etc.

Does raise another point to this thread though...if Millwall had stayed on the island and Arsenal went north...Charlton would have had one hell of a catchment area back then!
  • Arghhhhh my eyes!
  • edited February 2011
    I think millwall's last ground is where the big supermarket by Crossharbours is.

Edit: According to SLL's map is was their 3rd ground.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: InspectorSands[/cite]Arsenal also played on Plumstead Common in their earliest years. I don't think they ever played on Woolwich Common (or in Woolwich at all) - we did that.

Inspector, Wasn't the name relevant to where most of the team worked rather than where they played?
  • SLL. Arsenal moved North to get out of a a sh*thole whereas Millwall did the exact opposite......:-)

Clearly Arsenal needed to do something. I am slightly mystified about why the gates at Plumstead were so low.

My guess is that an Arsenal fully engaged in the Woolwich area may well have stifled our development.
  • Thanks SLL, that's interesting.

TCE - true, especially as Arsenal was first called Dial Square FC. (There's now a little plaque outside on Dial Square in the Arsenal development, outside the new pub.)
  • [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]

Clearly Arsenal needed to do something. I am slightly mystified about why the gates at Plumstead were so low.

Perhaps a lot of the working class support at the time were already Millwall & west ham through the docks, and Charlton. Perhaps there wasn't enough working class support in the area to sustain Arsenal?

As above, would be interesting to see what the attendances were. I can only find ours back to 1920 which were 18k!
  • Surely Old Trafford is in quite an industrious area and weren't crowds quite low before the first world war? I'm convinced that money from Henry Norris was the main reason for their move as our record attendance is still higher than theirs, some things not right.

Was the 1920s millwall's golden ear? :-)
  • Have a look at this link. Very interesting. Gives some insight both into the dwindling crowds and why Arsenal didn't move to Fulham which was originally planned.

Link
  • edited February 2011
    I notice they keep saying Arsenal played "in Kent" - typical bloody north Londoners... (the Kent border was at Abbey Wood in those days). While the ground was fiddly to get to, the railway had been there for 60 years it's not as if Plumstead was open country (although obviously the marshes were there).

The government closing some of the munitions factories at the Arsenal is mentioned as a factor, which makes me wonder if Arsenal's old support was drawn exclusively from the Arsenal workers. Because we did alright a couple of decades later, and I imagine much of our support would have come from the (cilvilan) factories along the Charlton/ Woolwich riverfront.
  • That same site also mentions a Frederick Beardsley who was on Woolwich Arsenal's board for 20 years until the old club went bust in 1910, and then joined Charlton's board/committee three years later.
  • If Arsenal had stayed in Woolwich, they would have been taken over by Thamesmead Town and would currently be playing in the Isthmian League Division 1 North...

Seriously though, some absolutely fascinating stuff in this thread. Someone should start organising tours of the lost football grounds of London. A lucrative little sideline for the Inspector, perhaps?
  • good idea that fans visiting their old grounds.maybe Millwall can naff off to their roots in East London and friggin well stay there ---no one likes em you know.

As for the Arse well if they had stayed in Woolwich i think someone would burnt their ground down they their glory hunting knoblets in side.