Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

What if Arsenal had stayed in Woolwich?

2»

Comments

• [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]good idea that fans visiting their old grounds.maybe Millwall can naff off to their roots in East London and friggin well stay there ---no one likes em you know.

As for the Arse well if they had stayed in Woolwich i think someone would burnt their ground down they their glory hunting knoblets in side.

The East End, not East London, as our East End followers regularly remind us South Londoners.
  • [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]Have a look at this link. Very interesting. Gives some insight both into the dwindling crowds and why Arsenal didn't move to Fulham which was originally planned.

Link
    [cite]Posted By: InspectorSands[/cite]That same site also mentions aFrederick Beardsleywho was on Woolwich Arsenal's board for 20 years until the old club went bust in 1910, and then joined Charlton's board/committee three years later.

Great reads, thanks.
  • [cite]Posted By: Sparrows Lane Lion[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]good idea that fans visiting their old grounds.maybe Millwall can naff off to their roots in East London and friggin well stay there ---no one likes em you know.

As for the Arse well if they had stayed in Woolwich i think someone would burnt their ground down they their glory hunting knoblets in side.

The East End, not East London, as our East End followers regularly remind us South Londoners.
    Now this annoys me. The East End is Stepney, Bethnal Green, Shorditch, Whitechappel, Shadwell etc. Some people go as far as to claim that Woodford Green is in the East End!
  • [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Sparrows Lane Lion[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]good idea that fans visiting their old grounds.maybe Millwall can naff off to their roots in East London and friggin well stay there ---no one likes em you know.

Now this annoys me. The East End is Stepney, Bethnal Green, Shorditch, Whitechappel, Shadwell etc. Some people go as far as to claim that Woodford Green is in the East End!

Poplar too.

The "Islanders" claim they are Islanders and that's it. Others say it's the East End. But it's definitely NOT East London.
  • i believe the traditional demarcation for the east end and east london is the river Lea. The isle of dogs, although post code wise could be lumped in with the east end i guess, i'd say it was separate to the east end. It does make me laugh when west ham and millwall fans argue about who is the most east end. I believe it's normally settled by how much you know about pie and mash shops.The reality is that neither of them are really. Think how big spurs would be now if Arsenal hadn't moved. There again, maybe somebody else may have moved there? What i do know is that Millwall are hemmed in and always will be and therefore will always remain small with a limited outlook.
  • A mate of mine who grew up in Wapping always used to say that the Islanders regarded people from Bow as being somehow foreign. (One local councillor tried to declare UDI in 1970.)
    [cite]Posted By: incorruptible addick[/cite]If Arsenal had stayed in Woolwich, they would have been taken over by Thamesmead Town and would currently be playing in the Isthmian League Division 1 North...

Seriously though, some absolutely fascinating stuff in this thread. Someone should start organising tours of the lost football grounds of London. A lucrative little sideline for the Inspector, perhaps?

Ha! I could do with a sideline at the moment... (and it's actually given me a proper idea for something...) Now, who can drive a minibus? ;-)
  • [cite]Posted By: Bexley Dan[/cite]i believe the traditional demarcation for the east end and east london is the river Lea. The isle of dogs, although post code wise could be lumped in with the east end i guess, i'd say it was separate to the east end. It does make me laugh when west ham and millwall fans argue about who is the most east end. I believe it's normally settled by how much you know about pie and mash shops.The reality is that neither of them are really. Think how big spurs would be now if Arsenal hadn't moved. There again, maybe somebody else may have moved there? What i do know is that Millwall are hemmed in and always will be and therefore will always remain small with a limited outlook.

The River Lea was the border with Essex until the 1960s, and it's still the boundary between the east London boroughs now.