Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton vs. Peterborough | 12 Feb 2011 | Preview, Poll, Views and News

WSSWSS
edited February 2011 in General Charlton
Charlton haven’t been involved in a no score draw for over 60 league games (Oldham at home October 2009 I think) and we’re playing a team who have been involved in games with a stupid amount of goals this season (77 in 15 games at home alone). It’s got 0-0 written all over it…

Three clean sheets on the spin for new boss Chris Powell suggests a shoring up of a previously porous defence although we have had a couple of visits of the very welcome Lady Luck on more than one occasion since he took charge. On paper, Peterborough should not pose too much of a threat going forward on Saturday: out of the 60 goals Peterborough have scored all season, just 15 of them have come on the road and they are the 3rd worst away team in the league with just three wins all season.

In the past five away games Peterborough have conceded, on average, 2.2 goals per game but that doesn’t mean we’ll be ‘smashing’ them come Saturday as in the past 5 home games we’ve only scored 1.2 goals on average. That being said, we seem to have more of a goal threat now in the form of Bradley Wright Phillips who has two-in-two and seems to be building a great understanding with the industrious Joe Anyinsah. They’ll start up top again.

Sod’s law will dictate that Matt Fry resigns for us before Saturday but I’ll presume he has gone back to West Ham to make up the necessary quota of a 25-man squad and keep my fingers crossed that Freddy Bessone has overcome his injury to slot back in at left back. The rest of the back line picks itself but Simon Francis may feel a touch of pressure now that Chris Solly is getting a glut of 90 minutes under his belt in reserve games.

The cliché of ‘you don’t change a winning team’ kicks into gear with regards to the midfield and I see McOxo being relegated to the bench to allow Racon and Semedo to pass sideways and backwards once again…

Once again, we will have a strong and attack minded substitutes’ bench which will allow us to force the issue if things aren’t going well but with the prospect of a new screen and a return of the fish, we can’t lose. 3-1 Charlton.

Come on you reds.

Comments

• It's nice to actually look forward to going to the Valley on a Saturday again.
  • 3-1 win ... can see us conceding a goal so Robbi'e clean sheet run comes to an end

BWP, Waggy and Eccles
  • I know the posh have not scored many away goals this season, however that is going to change at somepoint!

This will be a very tough match and again I feel its a must win as its against a team we are competing for promotion with. A win and results going our way could really see us pushing for a high league posistion.

We do lack creativity, but I just hope that BWP can take any chance that comes his way and get us some more points. Eccelston could be important as well, especially if the posh are chasing the game.

I think we may be better off playing mccormack instead of racon to add to our defensive side and then as the game progresses we can expand a little bit more.
  • Draw... they will want revenge... 1-1
  • Looking forward to this game, the way Peterborugh play and concede I hope it's a high scoring game which ends in our favour.

Though it'll probably be a typical dogged performance won by 1-0, not that it matters as only the 3 points matter at this stage.
  • If Besonne isn't fit and with Fry back at WHU, it sounds like Jackson might have to fill in at full back. A few weeks ago I'd have been disappointed by that and would have feared it would unbalance the midfield. But JJ has for some reason lost his edge at the moment, so a change of position could be a good move and help him to rediscover his best form.

If McOxo's hamstring is OK , I think he will start, whatever else happens. But if Jackson moves to full-back there's a place in midfield which will surely go to Racon, with Mac moving to the right, where he offers Francis good cover.

Another three points and Powell's winning run to continue - although I can see it ending with a draw up at Hartlepool next Tuesday.
  • Why not just put reid on the wing IA? and leave semedo, mccormack and waggy were they were
  • Charlton win...our forward line with Benson, Anyinsah, Eccleston and BWP should create a few chances, if we keep Mackail-Smith quiet then on paper we look good enough to win.

Is McCormack fit? If not Racon to start.
  • To be honest, I can't believe anyone would choose McOxo over a fit Racon.
  • Sponsored links:

• predicting games involving peterboro is a complete lottery, so here goes...
    ***rolls dice***
    charlton 5 peterboro 4
  • 0-0. Nailed on.
  • think we'll struggle to get going and expect a defeat/draw which will be all the refs fault
  • Forget the 5-1 away win. Both clubs have changed managers & have different players since then.

Peterborough use a 4-3-1-2 system, with George Boyd in a free role behind the front 2, which caused Southampton problems last Saturday. We need to pay attention to how they are set up, and nullify Boyd, who wasn't playing in our first meeting. How many times he gets on the ball, will be an indication of how well we are doing, as he is a potential match winner at this level on his day and sets up Mackall-Smith with through balls. The Southampton Back Four was run ragged at times, and my worry is that Doc & Dailly aren't the quickest.
    However, Peterborough are also wide open at the back. So if we contain Boyd & M-Smith, we should capitalise. I'm looking forward to see how SCP and his coaches approach this one. Do we go with 4-4-2, 4-5-1 or match their system
    and play man - for - man on Boyd.

3-2 to Charlton for me, and as enjoyable as the away match, which was the highlight of the season so far.
  • Good feeling about this one. In fact I have had a good feeling about all our games of late.

Have started to really look forward to Saturdays again lately.
  • we will win 4-2 - BWP brace, JJ pen and Ecclescake with a late one
  • Another 5-1 would be nice
  • Peterborough will be out for revenge and might just get it.

I hope I'm wrong!
  • edited February 2011
    We have just re-signed Fry and he's available.

Good news also that Bessone is likely to be fit.

Think it'll be a cracker.

0-0.
  • 2-1 to the Addicks but some seriously scary moments and great relief on the final whistle.
  • Sponsored links:

• 2-2 draw.

We struggle when favorites at home...

BWP 23' and Benson 90' to rescue a point.
  • I'm hoping for a 4-3 thriller.... probably will end up 1-0 or 0-1.
  • As long as we get 3 points thats all that matters, I couldnt care less how we actually achieve it...

This will be a tough game, I would expect racon to start on the bench though, as McCormack will give us more bite and defensive nowse in midfield. If semedo can stamp his authority on the match and break down their attacks and get us moving again then I think we are capable of beating them. Alot depends on how we can stop their attacking threat.
  • [cite]Posted By: Tutt-Tutt[/cite]Forget the 5-1 away win. Both clubs have changed managers & have different players since then.

Peterborough use a 4-3-1-2 system, with George Boyd in a free role behind the front 2, which caused Southampton problems last Saturday. We need to pay attention to how they are set up, and nullify Boyd, who wasn't playing in our first meeting. How many times he gets on the ball, will be an indication of how well we are doing, as he is a potential match winner at this level on his day and sets up Mackall-Smith with through balls. The Southampton Back Four was run ragged at times, and my worry is that Doc & Dailly aren't the quickest.
    However, Peterborough are also wide open at the back. So if we contain Boyd & M-Smith, we should capitalise. I'm looking forward to see how SCP and his coaches approach this one. Do we go with 4-4-2, 4-5-1 or match their system
    and play man - for - man on Boyd.

3-2 to Charlton for me, and as enjoyable as the away match, which was the highlight of the season so far.

Very good points TT. Hope you are right with the outcome
  • Our lack of pace at the back will be a big worry for this match. Peterborough are a very fluid team with plenty of movement, with goalscorers all over the pitch. We need to be very solid and Semedo has a big job to do in this game. The big plus is that they are vunerable at the back. It looks like it could be a high scoring game with Peterborough edging it. I feel that we have been fortunate in our three wins under Powell and the luck must change.
  • Another 1-0 with Wagstaff getting the goal
  • at 11-10 i know who i'm backing. We should be 5/6 at best!
  • Voted for an addicks win, but agree with those that say it wont be easy. I do belive it will be high scoring though and wouldn't be suprised to see a 4-2 scoreline. If we can restrict their forward line and shut down most of the supply from their very attack-mided midfield then with BWP and JA leading our attack we should be able to score goals.
    It depends however if we can get our own supply going to the forwards and therefore I would use as much pace on the wings as possible, with NE and Reid either side, Jackko in the middle and Semedo making up the mid-field.
    We need some pace in the defence as well, and now we have re-signed Fry I would have a CD pairing of Dailly and Fry, with Bessone and Francis either side, this is assuming Bessone is fit of course. I think we should take the game to them and so my line up would be-:(but of course it wont be)

[align=center] Elliott
    Francis, Dailly, Fry, Bessone
    Semedo,
    Eccleston, Jackko, Reid
    BWP, Anyinsah[/align]

Subs, Benno, Racon, McOxo, Warner, Waggy, Llera, Abbott.

If it starts going pear-shaed, then we could switch to a more defensive style of play and leave a lone striker up-front and bring Racon or McOxo in place of Anyinsah.
  • 1 - 0 Charlton - Semedo 89 minutes
  • i'd like to go along with the pretense that this is a tough game but as i only deal in truths, i can't. they are an average league 1 side at best, scp have us playing with a belief and even some of our players are now back to near where they were (ability wise) before nice guy parky signed them.

3-1 and hopefully close the gap on those above us.