Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

A mention for Simon Francis today

2»

Comments

• i like him , he's prepared to take a risk rather than do nothing , he's involved in the game so will make more mistakes than the ones who just want rid of the ball as soon as it comes
    admittedly he makes mistakes defensively but fry was rinsed on a few occassions today and if that was francis the tears and tantrums would have overloaded the site
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Shrew[/cite]I had to listen to two guys next to me put him down for the entire match, they refused to acknowledge anything positive in his play, or for the team as a whole for that matter.[/quote]

So you've met NSS and NLA then?[/quote]

I thought I praised him heyho the gateau knows best.
  • I hold my hands up, I have given Francis a lot of stick in the past, but under CP he does look a transformed player, and for the guy who thought he was "pony" today..begs me to ask...was you at the game today!?He had a part to play in 2 of the goals and he handled McSmith extremely well!Fair play to you Franny and long may it continue!
  • Yeah I was at the game,we all have different opinions and see the game differently but for me he's the weak link.as for people voting him MOM over the likes of semedo,then maybe I should ask were you really there
  • edited February 2011
    He is a bit of an enigma,he often blocks the ball and wins it from a tackle and then loses is with woeful distribution and think that was the situation on the first half, however in the second he was much improved and better in his distribution.
  • Thats fair enough cafc4life, IMO our weak link is the left back berth!Fry doesnt look up to it for me!At least with Francis you have his knack of putting a deadly ball into the box!
  • Not for me. The negatives out weigh the positives a lot.
  • [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]He is a bit of an enigma,he often blocks the ball and wins it from a tackle and then loses is with woeful distribution and think that was the situation on the first half, however in the second he was much improved and better in his distribution.
    Was this "improved" distribution because Wagstaff went off and Eccleston gave Francis someone to pass to?
  • edited February 2011
    He made a goal with a good run and cross, to wipe out his part in their first goal (although we had enough players back to deal with it) and some of his passing was brilliant, especially the little dink over the top late in the second half.

Plus he has the pace and power to get back and snuff out danger, how many times did he get back, when second best, to shield the ball out for a goal kick?
  • He has been improving for a while now.He needed to because his defending,positioning and distribution in a lot of previous matches have been sometimes woeful.But even when he was bad you could sense that potentially he had something good to offer.We all saw glimpses of good headers and tackles and above all his runs and crosses.Plus his height and strenght make us more solid.They were only glimpses but it seems now he is getting more consistent.A lot of this has to do with confidence and better individual coaching.He is surely not a fluke because if you watch him during the prematch warmup keepball session then you would realise he has very good technique and ball control.Especially for a defender.You can notice a lot from prematch warm ups.
    Watching Izale Mcleod attempt to shoot first time during warming up used to make me shudder and cringe with despair and disbelieve.
  • Sponsored links:

• Agreed that most of his passing was woeful in the first half. His distribution is sometimes terrible. Overall, his defending is much improved. He seems to have regained some confidence as a player.

He was much better with the change of formation in the second half. In the first half, was that he lost the ball to Mackall - Smith on the half way line but had the perserverance and pace to track back and stop a run on goal and won a goal kick. If he can keep up and improve this level of performance, he will start to win a lot more people over.
  • For me loses the ball for too much, his passes up the wing often go astray and he seems to lose his man quite a lot when defending.

But he seems to offer something going forward, he could possibly be better suited playing on the right of midfield when needed. I am not 100% convinced by him, you can disagree but the marmite descriptions suits him well. There have been improvements so maybe he will continue to get better under CP. We shall see.
  • Depends how you choose to judge him.
    Firstly he's a defender and in my view a very bad one. H gives the ball away to easily and dangerously too often and his positional sense appears too often non excistant. But as an attacking full back he's pretty good, probably the best crosser of the ball we currently have and can take players on with some skill.

I want to be positive about him but unfortunately i don't think our defence is good/quick enough to cover for his repeated silly errors. I really wish he was a winger not a defender,
  • The improvement started at White Hart Lane under Keefy and he seems to be carrying that on under CP. Strange as Parky was the man who signed him!
  • [cite]Posted By: DRAddick[/cite]Depends how you choose to judge him.
    Firstly he's a defender and in my view a very bad one. H gives the ball away to easily and dangerously too often and his positional sense appears too often non excistant. But as an attacking full back he's pretty good, probably the best crosser of the ball we currently have and can take players on with some skill.

I want to be positive about him but unfortunately i don't think our defence is good/quick enough to cover for his repeated silly errors. I really wish he was a winger not a defender,

This is spot on & I wish others could see it.
    Yes, from an attacking point of view he possibly had his best game for us, so very well done for that Simon.
    However, he is a defender first and foremost and was mainly responsible for both goals today.
    Their first goal he passed it to the goalscorer (admitted he was heavily pressured and the guy then did really well, but nonetheless it was down to Francis).
    Their second goal - Mackail- Smith was totally unmarked, that was where Francis should have been !
    So yes, he's pretty good going forward and he puts in some decent crosses.
    But he passes to the opposition far too much & he is still getting caught out of position.
  • We shouldnt forget that their left winger was a very good player.

Yes his defensive duties should come first but his benefit to the team comes from his attacking play.

His main fault is that he gives his man far too much room.
  • Mendonca in asda says: "if Cp can crack Francis we'll get promoted this season."

So our promotion depends on Francis?..............no pressure then. ;-)
  • He is a very poor player and cant pass control or defend one good cross does not improve him
  • Is there a running track around our pitch? Can you see from the North?

Jesus, it can't be a bloody debate. HE DID PLAY WELL, NO DOUBT ABOUT IT.
  • [cite]Posted By: Green Valley[/cite]one good cross

Can I just ask how many games you've been to recently?

Did you go to Yeovil for example?
  • Sponsored links:

• I have been to most games this season Its all about opinions the sooner Solly or Jenkinson start the better for me
  • [cite]Posted By: Green Valley[/cite]I have been to most games this season Its all about opinions the sooner Solly or Jenkinson start the better for me

I'm not trying to pull the you don't go to games so you can't comment card... merely trying to assess if you've seen contributions that haven't made the highlights reel
  • Better Red than Dead

Was this "improved" distribution because Wagstaff went off and Eccleston gave Francis someone to pass to?

The best sentence on the whole of this thread!

I said pretty much the same last week, unless Francis can play a 5 yard ball to Wagstaff, there is hardly ever an 'out' ball for him. Wagstaff just continues to crowd his space. I know this is a thread about Francis, and I don't really want to slag off one of our young players, but what does Wagstaff bring to the team? IMHO, nothing! When was the last time he beat a full back? Great decision by Powell to take him off at half time. I not suggesting Ecclestone is a winger, but at least he made things happened in the second half. Time for a rest Waggy.
  • Waggy is one of our top scorers and also one of our top creators (based on assists) - also our hardest worker (probably by some distance).

As for Francis he has improved over the last couple of games - but still makes some howlers, one of which led to their first goal. Neverthelees good game saturday so hopefully SCP is getting through to him
  • [cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: DRAddick[/cite]Depends how you choose to judge him.

This is spot on & I wish others could see it.
    Yes, from an attacking point of view he possibly had his best game for us, so very well done for that Simon.
    However, he is a defender first and foremost and was mainly responsible for both goals today.
    Their first goal he passed it to the goalscorer (admitted he was heavily pressured and the guy then did really well, but nonetheless it was down to Francis).
    Their second goal - Mackail- Smith was totally unmarked, that was where Francis should have been !
    So yes, he's pretty good going forward and he puts in some decent crosses.
    But he passes to the opposition far too much & he is still getting caught out of position.

This.
  • Also that ^
  • I hope Semedo doesn't hear anyone say Wagstaff is our hardest working player.

URFJ !!!!!