Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Pawel Abbot

edited February 2011 in General Charlton
Thought he had a really good game when he came on and I have seen his best today.

I almost get the feeling players like him and Francies who I did not really rate much has suddenly become good under Powell.

Early days yet but the good signs are there :-)

Comments

• [cite]Posted By: DiscoCAFC[/cite]Thought he had a really good game when he came on and I have seen his best today.

I almost get the feeling players like him and Francies who I did not really rate much has suddenly become good under Powell.

Early days yet but the good signs are there :-)

Agreed, the players are playing under a lot less pressure from the crowd, even taking into account the booing and that is getting better performances from them. CP is bringing a real feel good factor to the club with his infectious joy.
  • Abbott made the difference today, NE also looked so much better wide
  • Pawel Abbott was excellent and made a real difference in the change of formation at half time. He linked up the midfield and the front line. He had some physicality which unsettled the Peterborough midfield and back line. In the first half the front 2 of Ecclestone and BWP didn't get near the ball.

I would have never made that change myself at half time, Chris Powell definitely has some managerial ability. It was the first decent performance from Abbott, I have seen at the club. There was some really nice pieces of skill there. There was audible appreciation (and surprise) from the ground, particularly at one piece of play mid to late on in the second half. I think we may get to understand how Abbott scored all those goals for Oldham last season.

Charlton OS has credited Abbott with the goal but the BBC made it an own goal. He took the shot and the Peterborough did try to block it and diverted the ball. It would be harsh not to give that to him. He definitely deserved a goal for the performance.

Definitely encouraging.
  • He hasn't learnt to play like that in a month. Yesterday he played as he did against us last season.

Credit to him, CP and the coaches for getting that level of performance out of him but maybe he was never the 'useless donkey' that some dismissed him as in the first place.
  • I was worried when I saw the team sheet because I knew BWP were highky unlikely to hold the ball up and that we'd be relying on a break-away goal or one of them pouncing on a mistake. As it turned out I was right to be worried as we just couldn't keep the ball and it's very dangerous to invite a prolific team like Posh onto you.

I wanted Abbott on at half time purely because I could see we needed to try and hold up the ball better, but I'm not sure I believed he was truly going to make the difference. He really did though. What we got was the Abbott that gave us such a hard time against Oldham last season. It would be great if we could see more of that because that 4-3-3 really suited Ekkythump and BWP as well as balanding our midfield nicely imo.

Before anyone suggests I think I'm some kind of tactical genius, I never even considered us being able to switch to a 433, so I was impressed by that bit of creative thinking by the coaching team and it bodes well.
  • In my opinion he was man of the match - while others like Semedo played excellently as well, the simple fact is that without Abbot on the pitch I don't think we would have scored three goals - and therefore not won.

Also, was it me or did it look like he'd lost a bit of weight since the New Year?

Anyway - top stuff from Pavel.
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]He hasn't learnt to play like that in a month. Yesterday he played as he did against us last season.

Credit to him, CP and the coaches for getting that level of performance out of him but maybe he was never the 'useless donkey' that some dismissed him as in the first place.

Agree. I have always been convinced that he was a better player than some of his previous performances have indicated. I have a feeling that Pawel has struggled to settle in the south and until recently looked an unhappy player. Was overweight and lacking confidence. The Valley is a different place these days and some of those donkeys are starting to thrive.
  • This was a great performance by Abbott: Control of the long ball, shepherding, flick ons, winning headers, everything including a great strike for the winning goal.

He changed that game yesterday and I am pleased for him after all the stick he's had. Hopefully he can force his way into CP's team more often now and provide new options. This is the player we brought into and yesterday we saw that in abbundance.

Still looked a little 'puffed out' but he's not really had many games to be fair and he ran his socks off and was involved in everything.
  • Abbott played with the confidence he's been lacking yesterday and got better once that goal went in - it would be a shame if it is not awarded to him.
  • was the song, "du du du du pavel abbott" or "du du du du oh pawel abbott".
    THESE THINGS MATTER
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Folev the red[/cite]was the song, "du du du du pavel abbott" or "du du du du oh pawel abbott".
    THESE THINGS MATTER

"du du du du du Pavel Abbott" I think.

I used to sit in front of a guy who sang "The Army", instead of "Red Army". He was a big bloke so I never turned round and corrected him lol.
  • Very encouraging to read this as I often feel some players are dismissed as being "donkeys" far too easily. Francis also is now starting to prove people wrong. Professional football is a tough game and to get anywhere near the first team of a league club you have to be a very good player indeed, certainly no donkey. Abbot coming good opens up far more options for us and could be very important in the second half of the season.
  • Do you think that maybe Abbot benefited from the fact that he was not booed before he touched the ball? I would have thought he felt it was a refreshing change, but then maybe it was just a coincidence.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]Do you think that maybe Abbot benefited from the fact that he was not booed before he touched the ball? I would have thought he felt it was a refreshing change, but then maybe it was just a coincidence.[/quote]

A bloke behind me booed him as he came off the bench!
  • [cite]Posted By: Saga Lout[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Folev the red[/cite]was the song, "du du du du pavel abbott" or "du du du du oh pawel abbott".
    THESE THINGS MATTER

"du du du du du Pavel Abbott" I think.

I used to sit in front of a guy who sang "The Army", instead of "Red Army". He was a big bloke so I never turned round and corrected him lol.

Once s at behind a lad who sang "Who are we" - never corrected him as it used to makes us laugh so much
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]He hasn't learnt to play like that in a month. Yesterday he played as he did against us last season.

Time was that players got a while to fit in. The Premiership's top scorer, for example, has taken more than a year to show what he can do. Most of us see 90 minutes every couple of weeks, if that and form opinions largely based on the result (so if a last minute equaliser doesn't go in and we win, someone who missed an easy chance goes from being a donkey to merely disappointing). If his wonder goal against Swindon had been a game changer rather than a consolation, the view of him would have changed in an instant. It's the way of things I guess. He'll probably never be my favourite player, but clearly not as bad as he's been painted and offers some more composed hold up play than anyone else in the squad. And options are what it's all about when you need to do things differently.
  • Fair play to Abbott, he has not had the easiest of times here thus far yet he has not whinged, moaned or thrown his toys out of the pram- he has quietly bided his time and waited for his opportunities and yesterday's performance capped with the winning goal was fantastic for him and us all. Clearly he will play a part in CP's plans and I see him as being a useful player to have around as we approach the run in.
  • As well as clearly playing with more confidence it also helped that he had pace around him. Most of his appearances were alongside Benson or up front on his own, and when Anyinsah was fit Benson was preferred. Not surprising it helped as Anyinsah's pace really helped Benson in the same way.
  • Can I just say that I sent a tweet to Pawel last night congratulating him on his performance. He responded to me by just saying "thanks mate".

Whilst I realise that we expect a lot from players, clearly he has found it difficult to force his way into the team. Sometimes players need a break and they just don't get them. Yesterday, with Benno and Joe injured and Waggy having to come off at half-time, suddenly he has had the break he needed.

Its one thing to get the break, quite another to take it. He took it - and that does him great credit in my eyes.
  • [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]Can I just say that I sent a tweet to Pawel last night congratulating him on his performance. He responded to me saying "thanks mate".

Same :L
  • Sponsored links:

• I think he is one of those "good to have around pros" and that was the best I have seen him play, v P'boro.
  • No doubt about it, "Pawl Abbot" and "Francies" are right up there with "Paul Konchelskis" and "Samedo" as fairly simple names that people can't seem to get right.
  • [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]No doubt about it, "Pawl Abbot" and "Francies" are right up there with "Paul Konchelskis" and "Samedo" as fairly simple names that people can't seem to get right.
    Elliott
    Francies Docherty Dailey Basson
    Wagstaffe Thierry Racon Samedo Jacksen
    Ecclestone Wright-Philips
  • That team looks world-beating Scoham.

Is that Shaum Wright-Philips up front? The bloke behind me yesterday was asking his mate when we'd signed him. Still, at least he appreciated that Racon was having a good game in the number 6 shirt.
  • Thought he was excellent, won his headers and worked very hard for the team. Seemed to work well with BWP which is encouraging if Anyinsah carries on his record of getting injuries everytime he gets a few games behind him.

Pity the Abbott goal seems to have been given as an OG.
  • [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]That team looks world-beating Scoham.

Is that Shaum Wright-Philips up front? The bloke behind me yesterday was asking his mate when we'd signed him. Still, at least he appreciated that Racon was having a good game in the number 6 shirt.
    LMFAO - bloke behind me said something similar at the Col U game - "ee's taller than ee looks on the telly i'nt ee? 'Aah did we afford 'im? Din't ee go to the world cup?"
  • [cite]Posted By: cafcdan18[/cite]Thought he was excellent, won his headers and worked very hard for the team. Seemed to work well with BWP which is encouraging if Anyinsah carries on his record of getting injuries everytime he gets a few games behind him.

Pity the Abbott goal seems to have been given as an OG.
    That's Abbot's goal all day long. It was on target - ergo it's his goal. If it had been going wide when he hit it, it would have been an OG
  • [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]Is that Shaum Wright-Philips up front? The bloke behind me yesterday was asking his mate when we'd signed him. Still, at least he appreciated that Racon was having a good game in the number 6 shirt

sounds like my dad

he excitedly claimed we'd signed "Dudley Wright-Phillips" a few weeks ago...
  • MOM for me as well.

Changed the game.

NOTW gave him a 6....?
  • [cite]Posted By: Macronate[/cite]MOM for me as well.

Changed the game.

NOTW gave him a 6....?

And in Div 1 team of the day had Ecclestone. They just make it up surely.