Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

McCormack Over Racon?

edited February 2011 in General Charlton
So far this is the one thing I haven't understood during Chris Powell's reign as manager. Racon for me is clearly the better player and I just really don't see what McCormack offers that he doesn't, I literally believe that Racon has more ability in his pinky toe than McCormack has in his whole body. Racon is my favourite player and I don't mean to sound biased and this isn't a dig at Powell either but I think it's insulting to him that a player of his ability is kept on the bench in League 1. Racon is techincally our best player I feel like he just can't be left out, what annoys me most about it is the blatent lack of comparable ability, fair enough if Jackson was moved in the centre and Reid started on the left because I know that he is a good player but McCormack is just so poor.

Comments

• Four wins out of four and still people question the mans tactics/choice of personnel.

Unbelievable really.

Chris Powell makes a living out of the game, so unless you tell me you're Arsene Wenger then I'll think I'll take his view over yours every time mate.
  • Just making a well thought out debate, calm down dear.
  • A good football TEAM is not necessarily comprised of the best individuals. It's about the blend.

Curbs always produced a team that was better than the sum of its parts and SCP has already said that he has been influenced by Curbs' approach.

Four wins on the spin tells its own story.
  • [cite]Posted By: forzajuve_27[/cite]Just making a well thought out debate

"Well thought out"? Nah.

You were questioning - the use of "?" kinda gave that away.

And I'm perfectly calm thank you. Personally I love the fact that our manager has picked teams to win four consecutive games. But I guess you're not.
  • Racon is a very good player, but produces little in terms of creativity or goals. Powell has gone for the extra steel that Mcoxo brings to the side and it seems to be working.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: queensland_addick[/cite]Racon is a very good player, but produces little in terms of creativity or goals. Powell has gone for the extra steel that Mcoxo brings to the side and it seems to be working.[/quote]

sorry Queensland but you have contradicted yourself there somewhat. Racon may produce little in terms of creativity or goals but Macca even less so. I'm not a particular fan of Racon but I'd take him over Macca any day.

As for others saying Powelly has picked teams to win four consecutive games, yes we may have won them but all have been won very unconvincingly. I'm not complaining mind, I'm very happy about and if Powelly continues to be a lucky manager then I'm all for it. However Forza is right in that central midfield is the main area for concern in our team. We may have steel and tenacity but we have no forward movement and no creativity. If we want to go up it needs to be addressed and I'm sure it will be.
  • [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]

As for others saying Powelly has picked teams to win four consecutive games, yes we may have won them but all have been won very unconvincingly.

That's a good point Large. Think of all the extra points we'd have had if we'd won them convincingly.
  • Racon clearly is a much better technical player and on the face of it should offer more than McCormack but though he is a busy little player for all his industry he does not provide enough of the end product nor does he offer the defensive discipline McCormack can offer.

Sometimes it simply about balance. I did not see todays performance but I can certainly for today's match understand why it would have been sensible to have McCormack sitting deep with Semedo to deny Boyd space in front of our back four.

In all probability however his absence today may well have been about carrying an injury more than anything else
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: forzajuve_27[/cite]Just making a well thought out debate[/quote]

"Well thought out"? Nah.

You were questioning - the use of "?" kinda gave that away.

And I'm perfectly calm thank you. Personally I love the fact that our manager has picked teams to win four consecutive games. But I guess you're not.[/quote]

Good to know youre calm dear, anyway whether your team is winning or losing theres always something to debate which makes being a football fan so great so stop taking this as such a criticism against Powell because its really not. I just wanted to raise an interesting point that a player so untalented like McCormack is keeping a player so much more clearly talented like Racon out of the side, perhaps McCormack brings balance to the side or offers something else I'm not seeing? If thats the case then its a welcome suggestion from anyone and I can't be the only person mystified with this selection choice as a large number of fans chanted "Therry Racon" after McCormack woefully misplaced a pass today.
  • don't worry grapevine, even with Semedo and Macca sitting deep Boyd still had as much space as he wanted. And Racon wasn't injured as he was on the bench.

Off_It, hand on heart can you say that we have deserved all those 12 points ?
  • Sponsored links:

• semedo is a machine, the guy has so much passion and desire, and from a man who plays for a foreign team that just shows the type of club we are. if we can find the right central midfielder t compliment semedo we will be unstoppable in this league
  • Hmmmm not sure about this one, I would rather see Racon in the side. But I can see why CP picks AMc. He like all our players has faults but unlike all our midfield he looks for the forward ball, if you watch any extended highlights he will be involved in the good stuff we played. Towards the end of the game he was one of the few players trying to get us going forward and I think the stick he gets is unfair, the new Francis anyone?
  • Don't worry Forzajuve, not sure why offit's got his/her knickers in a twist - sureley this is a place to discuss tactics and selection.

Interesting question. I think a good team is worth more than the sum of it's parts. There's no dout Racon is the better player and I'm sure long term he'll back, but we've tried Racon and Semedo for most of the sason and very rarely has it clicked. For now McCormack's gt the shirt, but I'd imagine he'll be a temporary custodian and Racon will return knowing his place isn't assured and he'll have to work to impress this manager.
  • In the first half, our midfield were completely taken apart by Peterborough. McCormack (and Semedo) were totally out paced. McCormack did not seem to be quick (or skillfull) enough. Jackson seemed to be all at sea at left half and Wagstaff wasn't doing much either. I and others around me were calling for Racon to come on. I think I heard the North Upper put a shout up for Thierry Racon as well. There seemed to be no connection between the front two and the midfield two. We were lucky to come in at just 1-0 down.

Chris Powell did something completely different, which was to take off Wagstaff , drop to a 433. Bringing Abbott on was a masterstroke as it connected up the front 2 and the midfield and tightened the centre of the park. This change indicates that Chris Powell has some managerial talent and bodes well for the future.

McCormack was much better in this formation as was Jackson. Semedo was immense. Abbott was excellent.

So, question is, was it the formation or the players ? Would Racon had struggled in the same formation in the first half ? The change of formation seemed to do the trick yesterday.

Racon has ability but and McCormack does seem to have limitations. But, I have been impressed with McCormack's performances since Chris Powell has played him in a different position. He seems to be happier in the central right midfield berth. Racon will hopefully have some fire in him, when he comes on next to prove himself.

The owners stated that Chris Powell and Alex Dyer are to expected to improve the players we have got and it is not just a open cheque book. Is Alan McCormack one of the improvers in the team ? Will we see an emergency loan central midfielder come through ?
  • As far as I could see Mack spent most of the second half chasing no-one in particular and Semedo was having to do a lot of work to cover for him.

Mack may look like he's doing more than Racon vby virtue of the fact he runs around a lot, but I don't think he does a great deal in reality - a bit like Waggy when he's not scoring goals. When Racon is out of the side our ball retention really suffers and that exposes us defensively. I think Racon makes every bit as many tackles as Mack too.

I very much liked the look of the 4-3-3 we played second half, it had a nice balance to it I think it would look even better with Racon in there with JJ and Jose as we'd have a player who will sit back and put his foot in (Jose), a player who will look to spray a few passess and arrive late in the box (JJ), and player who will be busy, support his defensive opartner but can also carry the ball out of defence and can be trusted to retain possession in a crowded midfield (Racon).

Mack is an honest player who gives his best and he came into his own a bit in the last 5/10 mins when it got a bit bodies on the line, but up to that point I think Racon's extra class would have served us better. It's not as if Racs has been playing badly this season and has been missing from games in the way he is sometimes accussed of.
  • SCP hinted in an interview that he sees Racon as a key player but he has played a lot of games and he wants to manage his knee (give it a bit of a rest) - think it is long term thinking which we could benefit from as the season progresses.
  • I felt we had three weak links yesterday in the first half - McCormack being the most obvious as he put in yet another poor performance for us and added nothing to the team.

SCP then goes and subs one of the other weak links and brings on Abbott - which I was very surprised at.

How wrong can you be? Abbott caused them problems the minute he came on and completely turned the game. Our struggling midfilee suddenly looked potent, we had strength in attack, were able to hold up the ball and allow McCormack and Semedo to get forward and Ecclestone on the wing ran them ragged,

Unexpected but inspired subtitution from Powell.

Still very very disappointed with McCormack and would chose Racon over him every time.
  • Large, in each of the last four games we've scored more goals and conceded less goals than the opposition - therefore we deserved to win.

Football is about scoring goals to win games, whilst not letting any in. It's quite simple really. It's not boxing.
  • For the first half, Semedo was playing against their centre-midfield virtually single-handed.
    When Racon is fully fit he MUST be back in the team immediately.
  • Its great news that we seem to have found our new whipping boy now that Abbott and Francis have so ungraciously started looking better. Wasn`t one of Maccas better games yesterday for certain but of late he has played his part in our wins. Racon will get his chance again soon no doubt.
  • Sponsored links:

• To me racon is in the same mould as the dearly departed Martin. Lots of skill and ability but rarely has any end product. Mcoxo is trying to pick forward passes whereas racon just seems to flatter to deceive. However, I think that neither of them are what we require to force us into the auto places and hopefully large is right that we will soon be addressing this.
  • I don't think it's a case of being a whipping boy. For me this is the 2nd poor game he's had and being in central midfield he needs to do alot more. Semedo can't do the work of 2 players every game.

He did look okay when he played on the right against Plymouth. I just think he doesn't have the quality or skill to be a effective CM for a team that wants promotion.
  • [cite]Posted By: BigRedEvil[/cite]I don't think it's a case of being a whipping boy. For me this is the 2nd poor game he's had and being in central midfield he needs to do alot more. Semedo can't do the work of 2 players every game.

He did look okay when he played on the right against Plymouth. I just think he doesn't have the quality or skill to be a effective CM for a team that wants promotion.

Agree he`s not a playmaker but thats hardly his fault. The manager picks from what he has available to fit the system and it seems at present CP thinks that AM offers more to the team than Theirry. Its up to Theirry to change the managers mind. I hope he does and this spell out of the team might inspire him to give more because I dont see a return of a couple of goals and assists as being anywhere near good enough from a player of Racon`s ability.
  • [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]Large, in each of the last four games we've scored more goals and conceded less goals than the opposition - therefore we deserved to win.

Football is about scoring goals to win games, whilst not letting any in. It's quite simple really. It's not boxing.

If you're only looking at the past then yes you're right, but if you're thinking about the future it's easier to keep picking up points and winning games by having a team playing consistantly well and being better than the opposition. A lot harder to keep winning by relying on other teams playing better than us but not taking their chances.

But saying that this is a period of transition and the unconvincing wins are ofcourse very welcome. Doesn't mean people shouldn't be allowed to still question certain players and preferences.
  • If Racon played consistently to his true level of skill, he'd be the best player in the team IMO, better than Semedo even, but although the potential is clearly there I have never seen anything to make me think that Racon will take a game by the nuts and run it like someone of his talent can.

McCormack on the other hand gives you exactly what you see, yes he's far more limited technically than Racon but his role in the team is working and there's no reason to replace him on the off-chance that Racon might finally grow a pair.
  • [cite]Posted By: thenewbie[/cite]If Racon played consistently to his true level of skill, he'd be the best player in the team IMO, better than Semedo even, but although the potential is clearly there I have never seen anything to make me think that Racon will take a game by the nuts and run it like someone of his talent can.

McCormack on the other hand gives you exactly what you see, yes he's far more limited technically than Racon but his role in the team is working and there's no reason to replace him on the off-chance that Racon might finally grow a pair.

This
  • Fair enough Racon is better technically but there's not a huge difference between the two. McCormack is hardly terrible on the ball. As said he probably tries as many or possibly more forward passes than Racon.

Neither are particularly creative and definitely not regular goal threats either. Racon has more skill, is a better dribbler etc but he doesn't control the midfield, I can't imagine there'd have been a big difference in our play yesterday with him in McCormack's place.

McCormack has had some decent games recently to be fair to him. I get the feeling Racon wasn't fully fit but ok to be on the bench. It'll be interesting to see how we line up on Tuesday.
  • [cite]Posted By: DRAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]Large, in each of the last four games we've scored more goals and conceded less goals than the opposition - therefore we deserved to win.

If you're only looking at the past then yes you're right, but if you're thinking about the future it's easier to keep picking up points and winning games by having a team playing consistantly well and being better than the opposition. A lot harder to keep winning by relying on other teams playing better than us but not taking their chances.

But saying that this is a period of transition and the unconvincing wins are ofcourse very welcome. Doesn't mean people shouldn't be allowed to still question certain players and preferences.

I was asked if we deserved the 12 points. You seem to be agreeing with me.

Do we deserve the next 12 points is an entirely different question.
  • If you watch McCormack he never actually wants the ball, he watches the opposition rather than the game, he'll go through large periods of the game without even touching the ball as he's just chasing players. In the first half we were crying out for someone who wanted the ball and could look up - certainly Racon can do that better than McCormack.

McCormack is a very poor player!
  • saved us two points the other night off the line..