Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Hartlepool vs. Charlton | 15/2/2011 | Preview, Polls, Views and News

WSSWSS
edited February 2011 in General Charlton
Courtesy of Henry Irving:

It’s Tuesday so it must be Hartlepool.

Described as “The Everest of away games” (© Addickted), a midweek trek to this northern outpost is the epitome of the tough away game where “soft southern Jessie” teams seeking promotion have to show that they have what it takes, not just in terms of skill but in character and fight, to go all the way.

This will also be one of our games in hand, at least on Brighton, Southampton and Huddersfield. Fellow challengers Bournemouth go to struggling Bristol Rovers while MK Dons host form team Leyton Orient. Oldham play Carlisle while Saturday’s vanquished opponents, the Posh, go to Yeovil.

While a defeat could see us drop below the play-off line a win would see us leapfrog Saints into fourth. A six goal margin of victory would even take us third but before we get carried away there is the small matter of the team we have to play.

Hartlepool have already beaten Brighton, Bournemouth and Huddersfield and were flirting with the play-offs themselves when this game was postponed a week before Christmas. Their form has dipped badly since and they have only won two of their last 10 (v Colchester and Oldham) in all competitions but both those wins came at home.

They don’t score many either. Only 29 goals in 28 league games. Given that Charlton are the league’s top away scorers and top of the current away form table this should be a 5th straight win for Chrissy Powell’s Red and White Army. The key word in that sentence being “should”.

Despite the not to be argued against four out of four record under the new management team the Addicks are yet to start pulling up trees. The pragmatists will argue, rightly, that points, not performances, win prizes. The theorists/reflectors will ask for more if we are to compete with the better sides.

We are also losing players to injury at an alarming rate. Anyinsah was missing and was missed v Peterboro’. Benson was also out and the impressive Bessone seems unlikely to appear having been stretchered off.

We have ready replacements in the super sub Abbott as well as the less than impressive (against Peterborough at least) Fry. The defence pretty much picks itself although Chris Solly must be getting close to place on the bench.

In BWP and the Nathan, the King of Twitter, Eccleston we have impressive skill and pace up top to hurt any side at this level aided and abetted by the Charlton Life sponsored Pole.

It’s the midfield that will raise the most questions. Does Powell retain McCormack to give a more solid defensive shield for the back four or use Racon, the more attacking of the two alongside the bound to start if fit Semedo? The high scoring bag of energy that is Wagstaff didn’t impress again before going off injured so Eccleston may well take his place either in a 442 or a 433. Is there room for Reid and does Jackson, scorer of 13 league goals, play on the outside or in the middle?

I’m going for another narrow, 2- 1, win for the Addicks.

That will be another step on the long road back but will be bad news for the pessimists amongst our number. Another win will take us to 50 points and more years than not that is enough to avoid relegation. Just rejoice at that news.

Comments

• You know we're playing at our lowest level in our history when we're crossing swords with the likes of the white hart le pool
    If we are to have any real pretensions of the automatics we'll have to win up there
    Doesn't matter if we lose, the league is so pony we've been given a bye into the play off spots already
    Defensivley we got away with it saturday so hopefully we can tighten that up and leave the predators to finish the job off
  • edited February 2011
    with a goal difference to rival the relegation spots and being the lowest scorers in the 3rd division with just 1 victory in their last 8 games and not winning any of their home midweek league games all season hartlepool will be extremely tough opponents once again for some

thankfully we will have an impressive away turnout for once working as our 12th man sincesome of those old chestnut excuses sound even more hollow now that scp has got us into a winning mentality and.

0-3 can't see anything but an away win.the run gains a little momentum and we look forward to another huge game in this joke league.
  • One of our games in hand.

A couple of months ago when it got postponed we was on a bad run and they were on form, so maybe that did us a favour.

Win and we get everyone around us starting to fear us.
  • 1-2 (Wright-Phillips, Jackson)
  • Hartlepool blow hot and cold and are due to blow hot for once, a long midweek trip, we might sneak it 2-1 but I think it will be a draw 1-1
  • Have to win games like this if we're going anywhere, and I think we will.
  • edited February 2011
    Rotation is the key now , who will be able to play 3 games in eight days ?
    With the assumption that Bessone is out , this would be my team . Racon should come in raring to go . Hopefully Anyinsah or Benson could be fit to beef up the attacking options on the bench alongside Reidy.

Elliott

Francis Doc Dailly Fry

Semedo

Eccleston Racon Jackson

Abbott Wright-Philllips
  • This is it. This is the game that pushes us right into the fight for automatic promotion, if we get the 3 points. After 4 wins on the trot, I'd be happy with a draw and another win on Saturday against Exeter. However another win would start to put the teams around us in the top six under pressure.

Excellent preview. It should be a straight 4-4-2 v 4-4-2.

A big round of applause to those making the trip.
  • This is definitely one where I’d take advantage of our squad a little.

A couple of players who have had no/cameo appearances lately such as Reid and Racon could be given a go – either of them inspired to play to their full ability would cause a limited team like Hartlepool massive problems. Eccleston has to start on the right (sorry Scotty).

I’d probably go something like this

Robbie
    Francis Doc Dailly Fry
    Eccleston Semedo Racon Jackson Reid
    BWP

A good win here and we’re on a roll. Confidence up before our biggest crowd of the season on Saturday, where a good performance could hopefully have people who have drifted away from us coming back for more.
  • Well i'm one of the naysayers who thinks we will lose. It is a tough, long midweek trip coming quickly after Saturday's game. Great spell 2nd half, but a bit of momentum got us back into a game we should have been dead in. Defensively i feel we are still far too fragile and exposed, and a cold night match oop north is going to go against us.

Expecting disappointment here. In terms of playoffs, i don't see that as a major problem if so, just put more pressure on to win on Saturday. In terms of automatics, these are the games you want to come away from with at least a point, while a win would make us look a real serious danger to others at the top of the table.
  • Sponsored links:

• Hartlepool have only scored 3 goals in their last 8 league games, and one of them was a last min winner.

There for the taking.
  • [cite]Posted By: Richard J[/cite]Rotation is the key now , who will be able to play 3 games in eight days ?
    With the assumption that Bessone is out , this would be my team . Racon should come in raring to go . Hopefully Anyinsah or Benson could be fit to beef up the attacking options on the bench alongside Reidy.

Elliott

Francis Doc Dailly Fry

Semedo

Eccleston Racon Jackson

Abbott Wright-Philllips

this is the team I'd go with.
  • 0-2 to Charlton, Eccleston and Jackson to score.

Games in hand are no use unless you win them, as I am sure SCP will be drumming into them. Unlike the last bloke, they seem to listen to what he says and so I expect them to deliver three points after another so-so first half followed by a stirring response to a Powell kick up the collective backside over the half-time cuppa...
  • I'll go for a nervy 0-1.

I don't expect Chris to make any changes to the starting 11 unless they are forced upon him.
  • Being a pessimist I'll go for a draw. One thing no one has mentioned is that Dailly picked up an injury on Saturday - now who would replace him - Fortune, Mambo or Fry and put Solly at LB?????

Good preview WSS - thanks
  • [cite]Posted By: lancashire lad[/cite]Being a pessimist I'll go for a draw. One thing no one has mentioned is that Dailly picked up an injury on Saturday - now who would replace him - Fortune, Mambo or Fry and put Solly at LB?????

Good preview WSS - thanks

Llera?
  • [cite]Posted By: Saga Lout[/cite]I don't expect Chris to make any changes to the starting 11 unless they are forced upon him.
    He needs to, starting with BWP and Eccleston up front together in a 4-4-2 will be repeating a mistake he made on Saturday.
  • Llera - oh yes Len I'd forgotten about him, let's hope that CP hasn't !
  • I'd go

Elliot
    Francis Doherty Dailly Fry
    Ecclestone Racon Semedo Jackson
    BWP Abbot.

As I doubt Ayinsah or Benson will be fit, Abbott's showing on Saturday deserves a chance. Waggy's head knock is a good excuse for Eccelestone to start on the right.

Not sure if Racon is 100% fit from his knee problem so we'll probably see McCormack starting again.
  • 4-4-1-1
    Elliot
    Frannie Doc Daily Fry
    Waggy Semedo Racon Jacko
    Eccleston
    BWP

Reidy on for Waggy, Abbott on for Eccleston.

1-3 Away win, but we let another goal slip from a simple cross in.
  • Sponsored links:

• We won there last year - so why not this year?

Racon in for McCormack, otherwise unchanged assuming Anyinsah and Benno aren't fit.
  • 3-1 win, Ecclestone 1st half, Jackson 2nd half Reid in 2nd half injury time as Pool press for an equaliser.
  • edited February 2011
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Well i'm one of the naysayers who thinks we will lose. It is a tough, long midweek trip coming quickly after Saturday's game. Great spell 2nd half, but a bit of momentum got us back into a game we should have been dead in. Defensively i feel we are still far too fragile and exposed, and a cold night match oop north is going to go against us.

Expecting disappointment here. In terms of playoffs, i don't see that as a major problem if so, just put more pressure on to win on Saturday. In terms of automatics, these are the games you want to come away from with at least a point, while a win would make us look a real serious danger to others at the top of the table.

This. Especially the defensive frailty line.
  • Think we'll draw, I think that'd be a decent result as long as we can back it up with a win against Exeter on Saturday. 6 points in the next two is definitely doable but I just can't bring myself to hope for 6 wins on the spin just yet!
  • Given our Board seem to have a little cash are we flying up for this game - maybe we went up today & are staying over - not such a long trip then (in terms of travel time anyway). Yep it might be cold but it is here too so i don't buy in too much to the long northern trip etc...a game we should win and if our strikers are on form could win comfortably. I will go for 1-3 to us and onwards to Exeter.
  • [cite]Posted By: Athletico Charlton[/cite]Given our Board seem to have a little cash are we flying up for this game - maybe we went up today & are staying over - not such a long trip then (in terms of travel time anyway). Yep it might be cold but it is here too so i don't buy in too much to the long northern trip etc...a game we should win and if our strikers are on form could win comfortably. I will go for 1-3 to us and onwards to Exeter.

Coach up today
  • We should be winning these kind of games and I think Powell and the boys will not want thw winning streak to be lost here. Another 3 points and a scoreline that will read 1-2 (Eccleston - Abbott)
  • [cite]Posted By: Athletico Charlton[/cite]Yep it might be cold but it is here too

Not even almost the same cold.