Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Hartlepool 2 - 1 Charlton - Post Match Views

edited February 2011 in General Charlton
Disappointing defeat, but certainly no one on here tonight should get too down about it.....

....wait to the hardy 167 fans who braved the trip complete their 600 mile round journey and let them have their moan first :-)

Comments

• edited February 2011
    Too late AFKA we've already got the gloom & doom merchants on the match thread, saying that we're no good, we're playing no better under Powell blah blah blah.

Anyway a thought for those people. Hartlepool do seem to do quite well this season against the top clubs, so don't get too down. I know I have only selected their wins, but nonetheless :-

Home Victories against :-

Colchester 1-0
    Oldham 4-2
    Peterboro 2-0
    Brighton 3-1

Away victories against :-

Bournemouth 0-1
    Huddersfield 0-1

So we aren't the only top team to have come a cropper.
    In fact they have beaten 6 out of the top 7 this season. The only top 7 team they haven't beaten this season is Southampton & the reason for that is because they haven't played them yet. Keep smiling.
  • Were not invincible. We were never going to go unbeaten all season. Wasnt really expecting a win as much as some were but was hoping we would get a point and put in a half decent performance. Better to end the run on a cold tuesday night up north. Bring on saturday in front of a 20,000 plus crowd getting behind them.
  • Woah! I'm not a doom and gloom merchant at all. We're not playing any differently, with more authority or more skill in the five games since SCP started. Think and hope it will change though.
  • We've ridden our luck for a bit, so no complaints. It's not like you have to go unbeaten all year to get promoted in this league. I've never seen us making the top two this season. Patience everyone.
  • [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Woah! I'm not a doom and gloom merchant at all. We're not playing any differently, with more authority or more skill in the five games since SCP started. Think and hope it will change though.

This.

But slightly amended to state that I am 50% doom and gloom.
  • [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Woah! I'm not a doom and gloom merchant at all. We're not playing any differently, with more authority or more skill in the five games since SCP started. Think and hope it will change though.

I don't know about tonight as I wasn't there but I've felt that we've tried to play it to feet more since CP arrived which will hopefully benefit us in time.
  • wasn't there so can't comment except to say we are probably one player away from a shot at the automatic spots and that is a creative central midfielder to complement Jose. We can see it so Chrissy can see it too. I expect it to be addressed very shortly. Without that player we will make the play-offs and then it's pot luck.
  • bit concerned about how slow we are starting tho and another injury with francis tonight but roll on sat!!
  • Football is football. Move onto Saturday.24,500 at the valley, sun shining and a 3-0 win... Were a top 6 side. Were not a top 2 side, but unlike last year with Norwich, I don't think any team is.
  • Im hopeful till the end, it's all apart of the rollercoaster that is Charlton Athletic.
    we're still in wth a decet enough chance, no point giving up hope yet, if we do double over soton (I know it'll be hard obviously) we will propell right up there. defo games we will win and hopefully we'll celebrate play off joy this time round.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2011
    No problems the league is full of junk , soton and brighton are prolly gonna go up in the automatics or maybe us or hudders will push one of them out ... Bournemouth will falter
    The result won't come as a surprise to anyone who's seen the recent fixtures and we're still gonna make the play offs
    As I see it now we're an 8% chance of autos 84% play offs and an 8% chance we'll hear the same people who said parky had no chance of keeping us up cos he inherited pardews shit can moan that powell should have got us up .......
  • edited February 2011
    Fairplay to the "we've sold 200 tickets" lot who went up there
  • We lost - so what! The club have a few weeks to get some loan signings in - let's see if we can catch Bournmouth or go to Old Trafford to win a play off final!

We are going up!!!
  • We've conceded 2 or more goals in 12 of our 28 league games.

That's almost 45%

So in nearly one in every two league games we have to score three (or more goals) to win. Asking far far too much of the forwards and the likes of Wagstaff and Jackson with that statistic.

Defending needs to improve and the only way I can see that happening is brining in another body at the back.

I suppose the positives for tonight - there isn't going to be any complacency or coasting, we aren't invincible and now we know it... and perhaps the board will gamble on a couple of quality loanees to give us some oomph at the back and in the middle of the park. Especially if Racon is going to need nursing we are way way short at CM.

COYR.
  • Funny how Southampton will go up automatically and we won't according to many people. There's only one point between us.
  • It had to end somewhere...

We hit the bar as well so you could say we mioght have sneaked a draw...

You leanr more from defeats and it will be interesting to see how Powell reacts.. I cant see him throwing the baby out with the bath water... but I can see him looking at some solutions and a much better performance against exeter...

Fingers crossed...
  • got to go to these poxy places and get a result....unfortunately, i sounds like we were pretty poor.

still, it had to end somewhere. all about how we react on saturday.
  • One loss and four wins out of five....not a bad record in my opinion. Tonight however as I was doing the match thread it sounded as though we were slow getting started and our defence, especially Fry and Daily, were not having the best of games.

To me it seems as though we need to get a pacey CD in and a creative midfielder into the squad.

This loss, whilst not being happy about it, may just be what CP needed to see where we need strengthening, after all he did say, barring injuries, why change a winning team. Well now he can and I would expect to see a couple for the Exeter match. Perhaps Solly back at RB, if Francis is still injured will be one and a loanee or two in.
    Overall, we did not get out of the blocks tonight and to get promotion we need to play football for 90 mins, this loss in my opinion may well help CP to make a few 'tweaks' and this side could be one to reckon with over the closing months
  • [cite]Posted By: Screamer[/cite]Funny how Southampton will go up automatically and we won't according to many people. There's only one point between us.

AND we have to play them twice.
  • Disappointing fact for me is tonight I thought was a big chance for us to show teams around us we mean business. Win our game in hand and we gain on teams above us but we didn't.
  • Sponsored links:

• one thing i know for sure is that defeat would have hurt powell in not only a professional manner! which in a weird way makes me feel better about the loss tonight, its over now and we move on to saturday with fire in our belly not to be on the end of another defeat and put in a hard working perfomance to get ourselves back on track as soon as possible.... onwards and upwards!!!

UTA.
  • Looks like I'm the first to comment who was actually at the game (I live in the Midlands). I thought we deserved to lose and 2-1 was a fair score. ref didn't give us much though and we could have snatched a point when we hit the bar near the end. Defence was Ok but let in two goals from set pieces. The second one was a free header - no-one picked the guy out from the corner - and the ball to the far post was in the air for ages. Midfield was lightweight - first time I've seen Eccleston and he looks more a forward than a midfielder. we really missed Waggy and Racon in my view.

The key thing now is to bounce back from this and get the win v Exeter.

One good thing - Pool fans were nice and friendy beforehand in the pub and made the trip worthwhile.
  • John this may come across as a stupid question but any idea who's man it was that got free for the winner? (don't know if it was down your end)

Was it just a confusion of finger pointing or was it one individual who lost him?
  • Ps. fair play for making the trip!
  • Well. that has brought a few of you back down to earth. especially the ones who thnk Chris Powell is the new Curbs and can't do any wrong.

Imho he has been a shade lucky over the past 5 games and hasn't done much different to what Parky did .....apart from dropping probably our best footballer ( Racon) and replace him with a complete clogger (mcCormak). I believe racon is now injured, but as soon as he is fit again he needs to go straight back into the side - unless by then we have signed Lionel Messi on loan.

BTW - a note to all those thinking we have 9 or 12 points in the bag over the coming weeks, seing as the next 3 of our 4 games are at home & are against teams in & around the bottom 8. Our home record against the current bottom 4 is dreadful = played 4, w0, d2,L2........2 points from a possible 12.

you have been warned.
  • [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]Well. that has brought a few of you back down to earth. especially the ones who thnk Chris Powell is the new Curbs and can't do any wrong.

What a load of bullcrap
    As if anyone thinks he is the new Curbs , we all hope he may be that good!

And anyone who has witnessed our recent matches will know there's a lot of work to be done and that we have had the rub of the green .....
    The difference is powell and charlton are an early work in progress , parky was on a road to nowhere
  • edited February 2011
  • hear hear ooh aah

The board have made it quite clear even in so many words that promotion is effectively a "bonus" this season and though it is obvious we will be having a good go, properly preparing for next season is almost as big an objective as this one

The focus should be on a complete overhaul on and off the pitch laying solid foundations for the long term security, stability and we hope prosperity of the club

a crap one goal defeat at soggy Hartlepool isn't going to knock us off that
  • Been coming. There's only so many inspirational team talks you can make before taking 45 minutes to get going comes back to bite you. Not a criticism of Powell though, we're certainly not playing any worse than before and I'm sure he's as aware as anyone that there are deficiencies that need addressing and will be on the job ASAP. Let's hope for a good reaction on Saturday.
  • Pity we seem so slow out of the blocks - maybe CP can address this over the coming few days before the next game. Like a lot of the people commenting on this thread, I expect us to come out fighting on Saturday and get a convincing win. I know, when was the last time we saw one of those?