Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Ath v Exeter City - 19/2/11 - Pre-match Preview, News, Views and Poll

edited February 2011 in General Charlton
If you're going to lose your first game as a manager and end both a winning streak and a long unbeaten away run then a midweek game in front a Valliant 14 dozen or so fans is as good a place as any.

We all knew that a defeat for Chris Powell had to come some time and, so far, the set back has not resulted in full scale hair pulling or wrist slitting. This is in part due to the large reserve of good will that “Sir” Chris has to dip into and the fact that so few people were there to see it.

Another defeat at home and in front of the largest gate of the season to date will perhaps draw a less generous reaction. His hero status and promise of a new era did not prevent boos at half time v Peterborough. Anything less than three points on Saturday will result in more of the same and mutterings of false dawns and lack of managerial experience from those fans always happy to find a cloud alongside the silver lining.

The challenge now for Powell and his coaching team is to lift his battered squad for a match where they will be expected to take the game to Exeter and win. A long midweek journey and an injury to Simon Francis will not help the cause.

Wright Philips seems sure to start up front despite a largely forgettable outing up north. Anyinsah has missed the last two games and while Abbott has done well there must be a temptation to add super Joe’s pace to the front line from the off. But Powell seems to prefer to let the man with the shirt retain it so Pavel may well start.

In the same way Solly appears to be behind Jenkinson in the pecking order for right back slot (should Francis be unavailable), for the time being at least. Otherwise the back four again picks itself until Bassone’s hamstring recovers or Powell dips into the loan market.

McCormack has been drawing poor reviews but with Racon injured what other options are there until the much touted creative midfielder is found. That seems unlikely until at least the end of the month to allow him to appear in any play-off final we may reach.

Reid’s dismal recent displays have not advanced his case to take the wide left berth and so free up Jackson to move inside. Eccleston scored again and played on both flanks on Tuesday so could be one midfield solution with Wagstaff coming back on the right to allow JJ to come into the middle. Such a pacy and attacking side would whet the appetites of fans but could cause a few dry mouths when City are on the attack.

Exeter lie 12th and are most likely far enough away from the relegation zone, due to their home form, to survive but ,due to their away form, not close enough to make a push for the play-offs. But in recent weeks they have turned their form on its head with two home defeats and three away games unbeaten. They also beat the Addicks with a last minute penalty in the reverse fixture back in early September.

With 2nd place Bournemouth hosting the side immediately below them, Huddersfield, and Southampton (in 4th) travelling to 9th place Rochdale, Charlton could close the gap and realistically go fourth. Defeat could allow up to four sides to push ahead in the league table and drop us to ninth.

Many will see this game as Powell’s first real test and with so many casual and lapsed fans returning the pressure will be on to produce a both a win and for the first time a consistently sparkling performance.

I think it will be a test that he passes with flying colours. 3 – 1 to the Addicks.

Comments

• Tough game, Exeter will be right up for it and expectations will be high. The players have to perform and if so we'll get the 3 points and hopefully that will mean more people coming down to watch us. Big game and they have to step up now. With injurys hitting us hard, Francis being the latest casualty, Powell may be forced to make changes.

3-0 Charlton and back to the basics defending wise. Up to 4th and confidence high again.

Possible Team
    [align=center]Elliott
    Jenkinson Doherty Dailly Fry
    Wagstaff Semedo Jackson Eccleston
    Abbott BWP[/align]
  • Fail to win this and I (rashly) believe we can kiss goodbye to the automatics
    Win this and we'll still be right up there
    Even if we lose , which I think is a possibility with our casualty list, we've got enough in this squad to make the play offs

As said above it'll be a test for SCP and hopefully we can deliver a convincing performance as well as result

Frustrating draw but an improved performance is how I see it going
  • Horrible draw and football for a fivers parade well and truly pissed on.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Clem_Snide[/cite]Horrible draw and football for a fivers parade well and truly pissed on.[/quote]

Can see it coming a mile off.

Exeter 1-0 win in an awful match.

Powell out!
  • Powell's first thumping.

5-1 to the Addicks.

Bwp (2) Racon, Fry and Jackson goals.

God I love being optimistic!
  • Ah, well; the "new manager effect" comes to an abrubt end at formidable Hartlepool.
    And still the fans wait patiently for a performance, where before they waited impatiently.
    Of course, we still have games in hand, and there's some who'll tell you we are going to beat Saints twice.
    Meanwhile we face the might of Exeter.
    Now, with a decent pair of strikers you have always got a chance and under the new manager we have a decent pair of strikers.
    So I fancy us to get a goal.
    1-2
    Leaving the smitten Powellites to rationalise where before they bayed for blood whilst the returning hordes laugh and wonder why they bothered.

(Sorry, it's been a bad day at the office)
  • Can't make this one (first home game missed in over 3 years) = gutted!

Reason: moving home - where: Crystal Palace = gutted! ;-)

I fancy a convincing win here (4-0) with a good crowd behind the team and a manager seeking to put things right.

15/18 points will be a very handsome return.
  • Hope we perform in front of a large crowd, but knowing Charlton we'll lose 2-1, Exeter will be tough to beat.

If Racon isn't fit, I'd drop McCormack, move Jackson to the centre and put Reid on the left.
  • edited February 2011
    powell has got the right hump now after losing his unbeaten run and exeter are gunna feel the force of the black magic... 7-0 haddocks and a rockin valley!
  • Sponsored links:

• I'm sure Chris has drilled it into the players that a home defeat on Saturday would be totally unacceptable. Given that, I've voted for a draw!
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite] Anything less than three points on Saturday will result in more of the same and mutterings of false dawns and lack of managerial experience

Find that hard to believe. If we only manage a draw, Powell will still have garnered 13 points out of 18 - i.e. more than two points a game, an average which if maintained over the season would put us ahead of Brighton.

Actually I think he will get all three points, fairly comfortably. Bouncebackability is back.

3-1 to CAFC.
  • edited February 2011
    Don't know why but I've got a gut feeling they'll be a good crowd.

Typical, nervy 2-1. One of our defenders from a set piece and a screamer from Semedo.
  • edited February 2011
    Frustrating draw like OohAah said. With the big crowd we won't win, and the performance certainly won't be completely convincing.

Every so often there's a game I know we'll win. Powell's first game was one of those. This feels like one of those games I know we won't win. Frustration for the returning fans, mediocre football but a nice day out for the newcomers.

Looks very unlikely we'll sign Creative Midfielder© (or Pacey Centre Back©) by the weekend. I doubt Powell yet knows he's strongest team or formation, and with the injuries he probably won't know it for at least a few more games.
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    Wright Philips seems sure to start up front despite a largely forgettable outing up north. Anyinsah has missed the last two games and while Abbott has done well there must be a temptation to add super Joe’s pace to the front line from the off. But Powell seems to prefer to let the man with the shirt retain it so Pavel may well start.

In the same way Solly appears to be behind Jenkinson in the pecking order for right back slot (should Francis be unavailable), for the time being at least. Otherwise the back four again picks itself until Bassone’s hamstring recovers or Powell dips into the loan market.

BWP is an interesting point. So long as he keeps scoring goals, the fact the doesn't appear to do much else will not be a problem. I actually thought his all round game was a lot better against Peterborough but I'm sure as soon as he goes a couple of games without scoring some fans will be on his back.

I wouldn't say Solly is behind Jenkinson in the pecking order. He is not fully fit yet so Powell was right not to risk him against Hartlepool.

I'm expecting a good game on Saturday and good football from both sides but Exeter won't be easy opposition. 2-0 Charlton.
  • Can't see us getting a convincing win. Cant see us convincing anyone of anything until we start playing in the first half instead of waiting for the start of the second with any good work done by the strikers being undone by shoddy passing and stupid defending mistakes. A game of Exeter set pieces and a desperate win for us.
  • Operation 20K = flat Charlton performance and Exeter win sadly!

Prove me wrong and stuff them out of sight!!
  • Every game seems to be a tough game and Exeter had a good away win last week. I'm just waiting for the team to click and I may be losing a sense of reality but I'm still expecting it to happen sooner rather than later.
  • Relax everybody. Powell and the boys will be on fire Saturday. 3-0 Addicks!
  • At the away match in September & in the recently televised JPT games, Exeter were a straightforward 4-4-2, hard-working and well organised team.

The away match should have been 0-0, but for two individual defensive mistakes in the space of 10 seconds in injury time, when we failed to deal with a long straight punt down the middle and gave away a stupid penalty. The main theme from that match was our failure to match Exeter's work-rate across midfield. We struggled to get going.

We need to control the central areas of the pitch this time around. If we do that, we will dominate possession, dictate the pattern of play and score a few goals. Semedo and whoever partners him, are the key players in this one. They need to get on the front-foot right from the off.
  • Sponsored links:

• Win by the skin of our teeth again - hopefully. I'd settle for a repeat of last week's second half in both halfs but can't see it somehow.
  • normal service will be resumed under scp even though they comfortably beat parky's 11 earlier in the season, there will be no repeat on saturday.

2-0 bounceback
  • Team I'll Put Out:
    4-2-3-1

GK - Elliot
    DR - Jenkinson
    DRC - Dailly
    DLC - Doherty
    DL - Fry
    MRC - Semedo
    MLC - McCormack
    AMR - Eccleston
    AMC - Jackson
    AML - Reid
    FC - Wright-Phillps

Subs: Worner, Solly, Fortune, Llera, Wagstaff, Anyinsah, Abbott

I'll go for a 2-1 Win. Poor First Half Immense Second Half.
  • We haven't played particularly well and it sounds like the midweek defeat was fair enough but we have become hard to beat (could've sneaked a draw at Hartlepool). Add an in-form striker and we should be OK against most in this league. 3-1.
  • edited February 2011
    From the preview on the OS, it doesn't sound like the squad is quite as ''battered'' as suggsted above in the CL preview.

It seems Racon, Benson and Anyinsah are all available for selection and neither Francis nor even Bessone are definitely ruled out - the preview talks about Fry, Jenkinson and Solly being options ''if'' the first choice full-backs don't make it.

So I'm more confident than ever that the team will do the business in front of a crowd estimated to number around 24,000.

In particular, the choice of strikers available is almost embarrasing - BWP, Anyinsah, Eccleston, Abbott and Wagstaff - with former first choice Benson now sixth choice in my book.

Assuming Francis and Bessone don't make it (although I wouldn't be surprised if at least one of them does - probably Francis, who as far as I can make out only crashed into a bench on the side of the pitch which didn't maim him as seriously as a set of studs could), I'd reckon :

Elliott

Jenkinson Doherty Dailly Fry

Jackson Semedo Racon Eccleston

Anyinsah BWP

bench: Worner; Wagstaff; Abbott; Llera; Solly; Reid; Mac

A squad that can't even fit Benson or Fortune on the bench should be able to see off Exeter with relative comfort.
  • edited February 2011
    I pray to god bessone and Francis never play again hate the term first choice full backs, bessone right footed attack dies when ball goes to him as he can not run down line and all francis does is lump it back to opposition. Solly when fit and fry must be first choice full backs
  • Fry and francis's forms are going in opposite directions atm
    Fry is playing a lot worse than francis
  • edited February 2011
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Red one[/cite]I pray to god bessone and Francis never play again hate the term first choice full backs, bessone right footed attack dies when ball goes to him as he can not run down line and all francis does is lump it back to opposition. Solly when fit and fry must be first choice full backs[/quote]

well Francis was integral to 2 of our goals last saturday so long may it continue...
  • [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]Fry and francis's forms are going in opposite directions atm
    Fry is playing a lot worse than francis

Totally agree with this, but he doesnt get any criticism, funny that. What has always puzzled me with some football fans is the need to have a scapegoat and Francis fits the bill for some reason. If he misplaces a pass you will hear him get a mouthful of abuse, especially from where i sit in the East Stand. If one of the other players does it, nothing. Same situation with the Managers if Parkys team played badly tons of abuse. If Powells team play badly, apart from a few half hearted boos at half time against Posh, nothing.
    I am not saying that Francis is the Worlds best, far from it, but lets stop this bullying.