Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Centre Back - Semedo

edited February 2011 in General Charlton
Whilst chewing the fat on the train home with my two boys on Saturday.
General consensus was we lacked something and never looked totally convincing whilst Exeter battled very hard for everything.

I commented that we need to change the Centre Back pairing as they make too many errors.
Then my 11 year old son (a regular) came up with a interesting statement

"for me Semedo should be one of the Centre Backs he is always brilliant when he's played there.
And he never looks overly comfortable in midfield other than tackling and making very short easy passes."
Now I know he likes Racon which might slant this statement but cant help thinking he has something.
Somedo was bought as a Defender. Is limited going forward. Doesn't real score

Is it time for Somedo to take a step backwards in the line-up?
And if he did would our midfield be over run or would it give SCP more options for Centre Midfield pairings?

Comments

• you're on very dangerous ground suggesting such a thing i'm afraid - the least you'll get is a damm good dose of condescending.
  • Would love to see Semedo given a run at centre half, have done for a long time.
  • Good post oldbloke, problem is i dont think SCP would be willing to take away from the midfield the man that keeps our team going, he is the one chasing every ball in the centre and putting his body on the line, but i do think he should be played alongside racon because racon showed in the last 15 mins on saturday that he has more talent going forward than jackson and mcCormack put together.
  • Probably be a option if we didn't only have 2 other CM's in the squad.

Plus Semedo was excellent vs P'Boro and Col U recently when he won everything so seems to be gaining some form again so i wouldn't take him out the midfield.
  • He's a defender playing in midfield for me.
  • Not sure.

He could certainly do a job there but he's not that fast and you weaken the middle.

Would rather not move the one outfield player who has played consistently well all season to sure up a problem elsewhere.

It will depend who, if anyone, comes in on loan and just how radical CP is willing to be with his changes.
  • put Jackson in the middle with him, then we can have Reid back out the left.
  • [cite]Posted By: Mikey-cafc[/cite]put Jackson in the middle with him, then we can have Reid back out the left.

Reid hasn't been doing that well recently but I would like to see Jackson in the middle. Not sure if Jackson and Racon would work though.
  • Think he could play in both positions (not at the same time) and look equally comfortable.

Trouble is that he is our combative midfielder, take him out and who is going to win the tackles and chase lost causes?

He is also our best midfielder in terms of work rate and consistency.
  • I would keep Semedo in there and have Jackson with him. That way you still have him attacking and he is able to knock a ball about quite well, because out on the left he tries hard but he hasnt got the pace. i can see where you are coming from about Reid but we really need atleast one winger in the team desperately
  • Sponsored links:

• If the rumours re: a CM coming in are true, this could well be a good move. Semedo to CB, the new man to take on the CM role.... It could work, depending on who the new guy is.
  • edited February 2011
    Probably for home only. Diamond midfield, Semedo defensive midfielder, just in front of back four.
    Jackson/Reid left midfield, Racon/Wagstaff on right, Eccelstone (given free role) at the point just behind Anyinsah and BWP.
  • Certainly has its pro's and cons.

If we are going to get away from the long ball merchant tactics then we need a couple of centre midfielders that can play.

Jackson & racon could work well in there together i feel, jackson is not only good on the ball but he knows how to defend. Racon has the potential to be a good creative midfielder and must be itching at the chance to show CP what he can do.

Id give it a go. something needs to change at the back thats for sure. Dailly and Semedo could be the answer.
  • My major reservation regarding Semedo at centre half is the nightmare flashback of Tudgay (?spelling) of Sheffield Wednesday outjumping him with ease at a corner in his early days. In this league especially a centre half needs to be decent in the air and I'm not convinced Jose is which is possibly partly why he was converted to midfield.

I can understand the thinking but in terms of solving the lack of pace problem Jose isn't the quickest either although quicker than all our present centre backs other, perhaps, than Dailly. It's such a shame Fortune's achilles appears to have taken that bit of pace because in all other respects he could do the job.
  • Think he'd do a good job there... however:

1) We'd really miss him in the midfield and
    2) I could see him picking up a few reds if played at the back, and we cant afford that

However, if we were to sign a creative midfielder a pairing of Dailly and Jose and Racon and say, Michael Johnson would work well I reckon
  • Semedo in central defence is definitely worth considering. But that's mainly because Doherty has to go. I'd rather see my mother-in-law in there.

Semedo would need the right partner. He needs a first ball winner of the type that Fortune and Llera are. Dailly + Semedo would worry me.

So, if you put Semedo there, you need a fit and younger Jon Fortune as well. Or a more dependable Llera. And then where does Dailly go?

All in all, it ain't gonna happen, unless we find a new 'big man' to play alongside him.
  • Too important to our midfiled imo.

Not really sure I agree he looks uncomfortable in midfield, after Racon he probably has the best first touch at the club and is probably the most reliable passer (spread the ball to the opposite flank beautifully on 3 or 4 occassions on Saturday). Give him a properly expansive midfield partner as a foil or get Racon to come properly out of his shell and play like he did as a sub on Saturday and he'll really shine. Only time he looks remotely uncomfortable imo is when he's asked to control the whole midfield on his own by his AWOL partners as was the case for much of Saturday and for at least half the game vs Peterborough.

Try Fry and if Fry doesn't cut it recruit.

Or

Accept promotion looks beyond us this season (understandbly imo given the state the club was in in August) and keep our powder dry in order to cencentrate on recruiting in the summer for a proper push at promotion.
  • [cite]Posted By: Dave Rudd[/cite]Dailly + Semedo would worry me.
    Agree, that's the main concern I'd have with playing Semedo there. Can't see Powell dropping our best centre back and captain either.
  • edited February 2011
    Been thinking about this possibility, but it would require us getting in a decent replacement "box-to-box" style midfielder alongside Racon if it was to work. If we were still in the January window and this was the route I was taking, I'd be looking at Gary Jones at Rochdale or Stephen Dawson at Orient? Or can we perhaps aim even higher as a short term loan?

IMO McCormack should only ever be played right midfield, with an overlapping full back, if we want to play Kyel Reid down the left wing.
  • [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]It's such a shame Fortune's achilles appears to have taken that bit of pace because in all other respects he could do the job.

I've seen nothing from Fortune to say that he's lost his pace or that he's retained it. In all his games I've seen he's seemed fairly comfortable and never had to get into a footrace with anyone. Partly that is his reading of the game.

Not sure if Fortune is a first ball CH. I would have said classic 2nd ball CH which is maybe one reason JF and CD didn't work v Swindon (plus Austin is good). JF and Doc maybe.

JF and Jose. Now that would be interesting.
  • Sponsored links:

• As a full back maybe but not in the middle.

No good in the air.
    No pace.
    Watches the ball too much. (watch him for 5 minutes next game, never tracks runs, always watches the ball)
    As someone else said, would see red before a handfull of games.
  • [cite]Posted By: Callumcafc[/cite]Been thinking about this possibility, but it would require us getting in a decent replacement "box-to-box" style midfielder alongside Racon if it was to work. If we were still in the January window and this was the route I was taking, I'd be looking at Gary Jones at Rochdale or Stephen Dawson at Orient? Or can we perhaps aim even higher as a short term loan?

IMO McCormack should only ever be played right midfield, with an overlapping full back, if we want to play Kyel Reid down the left wing.

Stephen Dawson rings a bell - smallish bloke? - think he's the guy that ran the orient midfield when we played there - not sure if this year or last but he is what i call a proper centre midfield player.
  • Semedo is not quick enough for full back, and for the English game is not good enough in the air for the centre back position, unfortunately.

There is a spot for him in midfield but he has to be partnered with the right midfielder.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]It's such a shame Fortune's achilles appears to have taken that bit of pace because in all other respects he could do the job.[/quote]

I've seen nothing from Fortune to say that he's lost his pace or that he's retained it. In all his games I've seen he's seemed fairly comfortable and never had to get into a footrace with anyone. Partly that is his reading of the game.

[/quote]

Agree, he hasn't been shocking by any means, but is obviously carrying some sort of injury still otherwise he would have had more game time.
  • I'll give credit to Parkinson for the fact that he also spotted that Racon is good in fits and starts but doesn't have what it takes to run the midfield, hence why he tried to stick him out on the right / left. Semedo - keep him in there for now but have to bring a player in next to him. Macormack wouldn't get a look in if i was picking the side.
  • Fortune has looked very sluggish to me when he's played and had a shocker against Luton last time out.
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]It's such a shame Fortune's achilles appears to have taken that bit of pace because in all other respects he could do the job.

Not sure if Fortune is a first ball CH. I would have said classic 2nd ball CH which is maybe one reason JF and CD didn't work v Swindon (plus Austin is good). JF and Doc maybe.

JF and Jose. Now that would be interesting.

He struggled against Kevin Gallen at The Valley against Barnet whi is hardly a greyhound although, in fairness, I should add he was later substituted, apparently for being unwell so that may have played a part.

I've always liked Fortune and defended him but, discounting the Gallen example, to me he just doesn't look to be moving with his old fluency. That could be lack of fitness rather than lack of pace but he's had long enough to get fit by now I would have thought!
  • Fortune got done a couple of times for pace against Bristol Rovers and Walsall at The Valley.

Not ruling him out however as he has only really played alongside the Doc when Dailly has been injured/suspended, maybe with Dailly they would form a better partnership.
  • [cite]Posted By: Stone[/cite]As a full back maybe but not in the middle.

No good in the air. An interesting opinion. Very wrong but interesting nonetheless. Wins more than his fair share in the middle
    No pace. Quicker than Dailly, Doc, Fry and Francis.
    Watches the ball too much. (watch him for 5 minutes next game, never tracks runs, always watches the ball) Now I just think you are smoking crack. How is he such an excellent ball winner if he's never moving and just ball watching.
    As someone else said, would see red before a handfull of games. Hmm - maybe

Just wanted to add a couple of comments to what you've stated re Semedo.
  • I think he'd be good there given time, although not sure about his aerial ability.

Have he and Racon signed new deals yet? That might be more the reason for rumoured Central midfielder if there is one..