Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Notts County vs. Charlton | 25/2/11 - Live on Sky | Preview, Polls, Views and News

WSSWSS
edited February 2011 in General Charlton
This preview monkey wasn’t around on Saturday to watch the feast of football for a fiver – luckily it seems.

Chris Powell followed up defeat against Hartlepool with one at home against Exeter, and in the space of two games a defence which look shored up has suddenly become as porous as Swiss cheese. By all accounts, an experimental 4-3-3 formation looked flimsy and simply didn’t work. It seems a red line can be drawn through that in Powell’s ‘How to be a Manager – For Beginners’ handbook.

Traditionally, a Charlton appearance on the telebox means only one thing, yet for some reason here at Preview Headquarters, we’re quietly confident against the team managed by the only black manager in the country…

With loan signings looking to come in after this fixture, it would seem Powell’s options are limited. Despite the much maligned Simon Francis being out of the team against the Grecians, his hopeful return against Notts County will add some much needed width and delivery from the right hand side. Bessone looks doubtful on the left so hopefully Matt Fry can turn around some recent disappointing performances. Speed merchants D&D will continue in the centre looking to stop Lee Hughes hitting them and running off to score.

McOxo looks tired and ineffective in the centre of midfield and if this was a home game I’d expect Racon to come back in, whether that transpires we will have to wait and see. I wouldn’t be shocked if Alan moved out to the right where he put in a couple of decent performances five games ago. Semedo and Jackson seem locked down in their respective positions.

Pawel Abbot has reignited his passion and work ethic and forced himself into the boss’ plans and seems to work well with Bradley Wright Phillips so don’t be surprised to see @NE39 drop to the bench ready to pounce later in the game.

With results going our way midweek, it would be nice to get a result to catch and then put on some pressure to those playing on Saturday. We’ll nick this. 2-1.

Come on you reds.

Comments

• Options
    Not optimistic to be honest. Would take a draw now.
  • Options
    This has a 3-3 draw written all over it just a pity you can not catch a train back to London.Could be astory in that remark.
  • Options
    A bit clouded by the disaster against Exeter, but I can't see Charlton winning. Again.
  • Options
    The last time we won away without me, was Carlisle. So going for the same result but can't see us scoring more than 2....so 2-1 to us.
  • Options
    I'd take a draw as long as it's followed by two successive home wins. If not then we need to win. I predict 2-2. I predicted 3-1 last week, just the other way round !
  • Options
    Im going up but im worried, would say should be an easy win but never like that, 1-1 head says heart says 3-1 to us.
    Hopefully start looking back up the league rather than down
  • Options
    The last time I watched a game live in Australia we lost 2-4! But the last away game on telly over here was Orient 3-1 so I'm going for the same score.
  • Options
    Roll out the barrel .....
    It's a pub side we're playing against and we should be looking to roll these teams over
    Hopefully the return of , non youth product simon francis , one of the few players with the gonads to continually try something inventive in the attacking final third rather than a crab play it safe pass will help give us a bit of ooomph
    Powell has had more than long enough to know what our team is about and if we don't win then questions have to be asked ......
    Clown shoes

In all honesty I think its gonna be a tighter affair than others and can see a low scoring draw
    For some reason with Sir Chris Powell at the helm I'm not too stressed if things go wrong
    The time to start worrying if things don't look great will be in just over a years time when we'll have seen how much hot air the new owners have/havent brought with them and if SCP is really up to the job
    No need to panic just yet , rome wasn't built in a day .............
  • Options
    Its on Fox here in Oz so it could be a glorious start to a saturday or one marred by another defeat.. Just cant judge really so gone with a draw...
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    score drawer this one IMO, although attack from the start please and lets see where it gets us

Elliott
    Francis (Solly if injured) Dailly, Doc, Fry
    Eccles, Semedo, Racon, Reid
    Abbott, BWP
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Gloves off for Powell.

Side will be re-shuffled with Fry at CH to counter the manslaughterer.

Super Joe and Racon return and a few others shift positions.

Boring 0 - 0 until the last 10 mins when the winner will go to.......
  • Options
    I'm just not confident about this squad - so a draw at best and then let's hope a couple of loanees will improve our performance.

What did I say "loanees" - tut tut it must be the SCP effect.
  • Options
    Francis said to me on Twitter he should be fit
  • Options
    Don't fancy this at all. Notts looked more than capable of carving out good chances against a strong Man City side last time out. The 5-0 scoreline was harsh in the extreme.

Lee Hughes had an absolute shocker at the Valley, whatever people think of him, he is proven at this level and I can't see him letting us off the hook twice in a season. Lets be brutally honest, we should have lost by 2-3 in the home gome.

2-0 defeat. 3 defeats on the bounce. Nailed on atleast one goal will come from a setplay.
  • Options
    Another for the low-scoring draw camp, and as much excitement as a double lecture on porous cheese.

Eccy Hump is the issue for me, he don't fit in yet to justify the loan needs to play. For me its a straight fight between him and Wright-Phillips, which Bradley is winning at the moment. Shifting him elsewhere just disjoints the team, and doesn't play to his strengths which i feel is stretching a back four and getting them facing their own goal. He hasn't got enough of a defensive nature to play in a wide position away from home.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Another for the low-scoring draw camp, and as much excitement as a double lecture on porous cheese.

Eccy Hump is the issue for me, he don't fit in yet to justify the loan needs to play. For me its a straight fight between him and Wright-Phillips, which Bradley is winning at the moment. Shifting him elsewhere just disjoints the team, and doesn't play to his strengths which i feel is stretching a back four and getting them facing their own goal. He hasn't got enough of a defensive nature to play in a wide position away from home.

Or at home. When Fry was out of positon for Exeter's first goal and they were gven all those acres of space ,where was Eccleston, who should have been covering? Standing on the half-way line, waiting for someone to turn defence into attack and release him to run with the ball.

Fair enough. He's a striker. That's what he knows how to do. But don't play him wide - home or away.

It has to be between him and Anyinsah to partner BWP up-front.

Not sure which Charlton TV side will turn up - the Orient one or the Swindon one. I'm going for the former and a 2-1 win to us.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Francis said to me on Twitter he should be fit

Personal friend ehhh
  • Options
    Francis back and a start for Racon ... hopefully ... so I'm going for a 2-1 win for CAFC
  • Options
    Confident were gonna nick it for some reason. But I have felt confident going away from home for most of the season.

My team -

Elliott
    Francis-dailly-fry-jacko
    Waggy-semedo-racon-Reid
    Aniyinsah-Bwp
  • Options
    I would take a draw, we got a way with robbery at The Valley against them. Home win I'm afraid.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Agree with most on this thread - Racon has to come back in and time to try Fry in his natural position because playing him at left back (although i accept he is doing a job there out of necessity) is not helping him or us. The other two conundrums as has been mentioned iswhether to bring Francis back in or play the impressive Jenkinson again. Are we sure Francis can't play centre half - have we all overlooked the obvious - he has pace, strength, is tall and good in the air - could be the perfect foil for Dailly at the back. The other conundrum being how to fit BWP and Eccles in whilst accepting that it seems they don't have emnough physicality to play together in a two. I'd definitely drop Macormack out completely and maybe stick BWP and Abbot on to start then swop for Anyinshah and Eccles in the last twenty with Jackson and Wagstaff eitther side of Racon and Semedo. Possibly bring Reid on in that last section as well and really go for pace on the break and the win.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Bexley Dan[/cite]Are we sure Francis can't play centre half - have we all overlooked the obvious - he has pace, strength, is tall and good in the air - could be the perfect foil for Dailly at the back.

The issue there is that in the last few games he played Francis has been effective in getting in a number of dangerous crosses and causes problems down the wing.
  • Options
    I'd go offensive as I suspect we won't keep them out if we go defensive. The trick is not to ditch the the 4-3-3 but to play it a bit more flexibly and get some width in the side. No reason why we can't see a lot of movement and interchanging from the front 3 below.

Elliott,
    Francis, Dailly, Doc, Reid,
    Semedo,
    Racon, JJ,
    Ecclestone, BWP, Anyinsah.

This team would either win by 3 or lose by 3!!!! I doubt Powell will go for it but I think this plays as many of our best players as possible which is what we have to do to give us an edge.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    [cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Bexley Dan[/cite]Are we sure Francis can't play centre half - have we all overlooked the obvious - he has pace, strength, is tall and good in the air - could be the perfect foil for Dailly at the back.

The issue there is that in the last few games he played Francis has been effective in getting in a number of dangerous crosses and causes problems down the wing.

True, he had his best game for us against Peterborough but was it a one off and Jenkinson doesn't seem shy at getting forward. It was just a thought - if he comes back and carries on like his last game then thats one thing but if not, could be a possible solution to a problem that i think we all agree on - lack of pace at centre half. Could be argued that he mops up a lot behind Dailly and Doherty and possibly may have covered for a couple of goals on sat. Just trying to look at how we may maximise what we have if we only have the opportunity to bring 2 loans in and it seems Jenkinson is a good un.
  • Options
    Jenkinson is definitely one for the future but he's not as good as Francis or Solley going forwards for me. At the moment anyway.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Bexley Dan[/cite]True, he had his best game for us against Peterborough but was it a one off
    One off or showed what he is really capable of?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: MuttleyCAFC[/cite]I'd go offensive as I suspect we won't keep them out if we go defensive. The trick is not to ditch the the 4-3-3 but to play it a bit more flexibly and get some width in the side. No reason why we can't see a lot of movement and interchanging from the front 3 below.

Elliott,
    Francis, Dailly, Doc, Reid,
    Semedo,
    Racon, JJ,
    Ecclestone, BWP, Anyinsah.

This team would either win by 3 or lose by 3!!!! I doubt Powell will go for it but I think this plays as many of our best players as possible which is what we have to do to give us an edge.

Reid at left back?!

Seriously though, that formation is no different to Saturday's.
  • Options
    Major difference is that you need width to make it work and Abbott played as a central target man on Saturday - If you have Anyinsah instead, you should have more movement up top so would be completely different even though the formation is similar. Reid is a bit of a risky call but for me, Fry is getting exposed as left back so I'd rather put a wide player in there out of position than a centre back out of position. Could fall flat but Reid can tackle, Has pace and works hard so worth a shout- he would certainly give us more attacking options and may be more interchangeable with JJ. just a thought.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    ---------------Elliot----------------
    ---Francis Dailly Fry Jackson----
    McCormack Semedo Racon Reid
    -----------Abbott BWP------------

Subs: Worner, Doherty, Fortune, Jenkinson (starts if Francis is still not ready), Wagstaff, Eccleston, Anyinsah

Get the ball to Reid and Francis on the overlap to plant crosses onto Abbott's head with BWP looking for any loose balls. We can go 4-5-1 if we're hanging on to a lead at the end or a traditional 4-3-3 if we're chasing the game.
  • Options
    http://www.youtube.com/embed/T1KJjRgUpok?rel=0'