Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Semedo

edited February 2011 in General Charlton
Has Jose received more latitude and love from Charlton fans and Charlton Life forum posters because he is the only player we have a song (borrowed from Jorge Costa) for or are his footballing abilities and contributions to our team worthy of our admiration irrespective of his song?

In the word of Nolly.......

Discuss

Comments

• Options
    No, theres so much more than his song.
    Whilst he may not be the greatest footballer to have ever graced the cafc shirt, nor is he one of the most technically gifted players in our current side in my opinion (the likes of racon, wagstaff, jackson and ecclestone are far more productive with the ball i think), his attitude and leadership on the pitch is second to none. His presence alone insprires the other players to perform at a level that they would not often reach with him out of the team. And when we have our backs against the walls, when we're hanging on desperately to a one goal lead in stoppage time, and when its just time for simple scrapping and stopping the other team playing theres no-one who you need to look for other than jose semedo.
    The first player on my teamsheet everyweek.
    A great servant to the club, and i'd be gutted if this is his last season.
  • Options
    He came to the club as a central defender. 'Who?' was the words on everyone's lips when he joined as an unknown quantity. Then Pardew played him as the base of a diamond in a defensive midfield role, and he just took to it like a duck to water. Blocks, tackles, short passing to keep the ball. He can play that Makelele role really well. He rarely does anything wrong, but always seems to be in the right place at the right time. I think this is what it is. Mr Consistency I think we could call him, just like Chrissy Powell.
  • Options
    well said Folev
  • Options
    Wears his heart on his sleeve and loves the club.
  • Options
    I think he could play in the Premiership - He just needs the right players next to him. He is the perfect water carrier (as Ross said Malelele like) and our biggest asset. So far my Player of teh Season by a long distance.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: MuttleyCAFC[/cite]I think he could play in the Premiership - He just needs the right players next to him. He is the perfect water carrier (as Ross said Malelele like) and our biggest asset. So far my Player of teh Season by a long distance.
  • Options
    He's been a proper charlton player in a period when theyve been very rare. Consistently our best player, gives everything hes got and most importantly he cares, you can tell just by watching him at the end of every game. Hope he stays here for a long time to come, and would only be right if he was made captain soon.
  • Options
    The first player I've really liked since the Darren Bents, Richard Rufus's and Steve Browns of this world.
  • Options
    By far and away my favourite player. In a period of season's when we haven't had many high's, Semedo has been there holding things together. Always prepared to give his all and leave everything on the pitch. Has the determination and leadership qualities of Parker (whilst perhaps lacking in quality in comparison). A servant to the club, I think he deserves all the recognition he gets, and hopefully if we continue spreading the word, he'll be encouraged to continue playing for us for years to come
  • Options
    can't fault his attitude, work rate and defensive abilities. i know i've been critical of him and i still believe that we need to sort the central midfield situation out. he is probably our most influential player but having him in a 2 man midfield is also part of our problem at home in particular. hoperfully we can sort a more copmplimentary partner out in the loan market or if not, try and go fpr him as the defensive anchor in a midfield 3. i agree i wouldn't want him to leave but just hope CP can solve this midfield scenario.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think the responses say it all really. He may be limited in terms of skill/technique but he is superb at what he is there to do.

I too think he could play in the Premiership in the right formation/team

My current favourite player and one of my all time favourites

Also - and very importantly - everyone I know that has spoken to him says he is such a nice, down-to-earth bloke and always willing to chat. In an era of untouchable footballers that's a rarity
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Folev the red[/cite]No, theres so much more than his song.
    Whilst he may not be the greatest footballer to have ever graced the cafc shirt, nor is he one of the most technically gifted players in our current side in my opinion (the likes of racon, wagstaff, jackson and ecclestone are far more productive with the ball i think), his attitude and leadership on the pitch is second to none. His presence alone insprires the other players to perform at a level that they would not often reach with him out of the team. And when we have our backs against the walls, when we're hanging on desperately to a one goal lead in stoppage time, and when its just time for simple scrapping and stopping the other team playing theres no-one who you need to look for other than jose semedo.
    The first player on my teamsheet everyweek.
    A great servant to the club, and i'd be gutted if this is his last season.

this. best post ive read on here for days.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]I think the responses say it all really. He may be limited in terms of skill/technique but he is superb at what he is there to do.

I too think he could play in the Premiership in the right formation/team

My current favourite player and one of my all time favourites

Also - and very importantly - everyone I know that has spoken to him says he is such a nice, down-to-earth bloke and always willing to chat. In an era of untouchable footballers that's a rarity

My brother saw him carrying some Sainsburys shopping bags in Chislehurst a few months ago - said he looked like a right scruffy bugger which only makes me like him more - a bit of the Steve Brown's about him rather than the modern day football tart image.
  • Options
    Although I admire Semedo's work ethic and enthusiasm, I wouldn't go as far as some others have gone in stressing his importance to the team.

This 'Makelele' role thing has gone a bit far. At Chelsea and Real Madrid, Makelele often played with 2 other centre midfielders, and came up against attacking midfielders/playmakers/trequartistas (whatever you want to call them). Many of the teams in our division don't have a midfielder in this attacking mould, playing between the defence and midfield. So do we really need a destroyer (Semedo), when there isn't a creator who needs crushing? You can get away with it in a 5 man midfield, but I agree with Bexley Dan that a 4-4-2 requires more versatile players.
  • Options
    He's God...
  • Options
    The Barnet home Cup match was very forgettable - except for a characteristic Semedo contribution.

He was supporting the attack, which broke down, and he made his usual 2 or 3 attempts to get the ball back, but he was left stranded as they counter-attacked.

30 secs later when this counter-attack broke-down, it was Semedo that had sprinted back to our corner flag and won the ball back.

He makes lots of important contributions to our all-round game, and I think the other players like to know he is there as a safety net.

The problem is, we need a flair player like Danny Murphy or Andy Reid to build on Semedo's ball winning skills. Racon is not doing it for me, nor is McCormack.
  • Options
    Even if we played with a forward who dropped off and got the ball to feet it would help. keith Jones and Kinsella wasn't a particularly attack minded midfield but mendonca used to drop off and link up play a lot. we don't have a number 10 type player.
  • Options
    Echoing what everyone else is saying.

Love the bloke. Love his attitude. Love his work rate. Does what he is supposed to do very well.

My favourite player and up there with the rufus, browny, powellys.

Deserves his name being sung by thousands week in week out and he shows his love for us on the pitch
  • Options
    If we had an attacking/creative midfielder to compliment him, he'd look a lot better.

For the last two/three seasons he's shielded a lot of very slow and cumbersome centre-backs. In all he's not the sort of player who'll win you games, but he stops you from losing quite a few.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Yes Len, a lot of the yoof love the song that was Costa's and it certainly highlights the occasion he wins the ball.

Trying to think of a more over-rated player in my 40+ years of following Charlton. Water carriers do a job but you don't need any of the attributes I enjoy in a player to do it. Skill, pace, ability to pick out a killer pass and eye for goal for starters.

Sadly we don't have anything better at present, so on we go, blaming Semedo's midfield partner for not creating anything........

ps, I always mark him as I see him. That includes 8+ on occasions when he really has had a proper good game.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    i think he has a great engine and is decent enough at breaking play up but make no mistake he is also a very limited footballer, he is not good at passing shooting or heading
    the saying you usually get on here in answer to when you question why someone is pony is "what do you expect he's a 3rd division footballer" well that is what semedo is
    he has been almost a constant in our decline, as we go thru the worse footballing years in our history, so unlike some i wont be pulling my pudding over any of the current crop who have been part of these dark days at the valley as we continue to find ourselves as the worse team in south london
  • Options
    I was always a fan of Semedo, but for me the game against Spurs totally changed my opinion of him. He was one of very few players that day who actually didn't look uncomfortable playing against the calibre of players that Spurs had. Like others, have said his attitude is brilliant and for me, he would make an fantastic captain.
  • Options
    I met him today and he is an absolute legend. So friendly and kind, along with Dailly, Elliott and especially Powell. Fantastic people at the club.

I love Semedo though. :-)
  • Options
    I do like him but I don't think he's quite as good as some say.

If we go up and want to really push on I could only see him being a regular in a 3 man central midfield. Play 4-4-2 at a higher level and we might need a more all round player. Or some very good all round players alongside him.
  • Options
    blimey, and there was me thinking i had broken some sort of law by even questioning him.
  • Options
    Well, it may seem strange to some the point of questioning our best player, when there are more than enough deserving candidates elsewhere!!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stone[/cite]Trying to think of a more over-rated player in my 40+ years of following Charlton.

Quite a lot of competition for that title Stoney but I completely understand where you are coming from.

For me I think if you look at the comments above almost all of them picked out his workrate, attitude, love for the club (not sure about that), etc, as being his main plus point. Sorry, but I think I'd demand a little bit more than application before I rate anyone alongside Powell, Rufus, Brown et al. After all, if any of us were in the team I'm sure we'd all apply ourselves and put a shift in.

Not saying he's a poor player, he's clearly not, and at what he does he's more than competent. He would clearly benefit from a better creative player to pick up the pieces alongside him but as a senior pro now he has a lot of responsibilty for our largely misfiring midfield and needs to start imposing himself on games much more.
  • Options
    Whilst I admire his wholehearted 100% commited style of play, he has probably not won us a single football match, may have saved the odd point.

He is a watercarrier no more, a neccessary evil in the beautiful game. Having said that he should be our captain as you would like a few more of our other players to have his committed approach to football with perhaps a bit more skill.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Bournemouth Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Stone[/cite]Trying to think of a more over-rated player in my 40+ years of following Charlton.

Quite a lot of competition for that title Stoney but I completely understand where you are coming from.

For me I think if you look at the comments above almost all of them picked out his workrate, attitude, love for the club (not sure about that), etc, as being his main plus point. Sorry, but I think I'd demand a little bit more than application before I rate anyone alongside Powell, Rufus, Brown et al. After all, if any ofuswere in the team I'm sure we'd all apply ourselves and put a shift in.

Not saying he's a poor player, he's clearly not, and at what he does he's more than competent. He would clearly benefit from a better creative player to pick up the pieces alongside him but as a senior pro now he has a lot of responsibilty for our largely misfiring midfield and needs to start imposing himself on games much more.

I think peoples comparisons are in terms of generation, not neccesarily quality. Semedo has been brilliant for us the last 3/4 seasons.

What with the shit the so called players & staff have put us through the last 5 years, fans look towards a character with a bit of passion and desire.

Semedo has that in abundance.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]Whilst I admire his wholehearted 100% commited style of play, he has probably not won us a single football match, may have saved the odd point.

He is a watercarrier no more, a neccessary evil in the beautiful game. Having said that he should be our captain as you would like a few more of our other players to have his committed approach to football with perhaps a bit more skill.

Bit harsh sounding Ketman. By that definition you could probably say half the team has never "won" us a game.