Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Semedo

2»

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]Whilst I admire his wholehearted 100% commited style of play, he has probably not won us a single football match, may have saved the odd point.

if he didnt play against Leeds last year we wouldnt have won the game. FACT.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: MuttleyCAFC[/cite]Well, it may seem strange to some the point of questioning our best player, when there are more than enough deserving candidates elsewhere!!!

Arguably the question is whether he really is our best player or perceived as such because of the popularity generated by his song.

Would Simon francis be scapegoated to the extent that he is if he had a good song I wonder?

Before people leap in to misrepresent me I am not comparing Jose to Simon Francis, I am just making a point about perception.
  • Options
    My favorite charlton player by far

looks like he would run through walls regardless of his ability or inability on the ball
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Curbs teams were made up with players that weren't technically the best but you could guarantee that they would go out and give 100% in a game. I think Semedo is one of those players, he knows his limits me know his limits but a couple more players with his attitude and commitment in the side wouldn't go a miss.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Plaaayer[/cite]Curbs teams were made up with players that weren't technically the best but you could guarantee that they would go out and give 100% in a game. I think Semedo is one of those players, he knows his limits me know his limits but a couple more players with his attitude and commitment in the side wouldn't go a miss.

I think that true but only to a limited extent. The obvious comparisons to the Curb's era would be players like Jones and Kish. Frankly, both of those are far more talented than Semedo but perversly used to get loads of stick based their end product if you like. I think Lens orignal post alludes to the fact that the same critism could be levelled at Jose yet because he has the song he avoids the stick.
  • Options
    Yes and he is a good tackler- strong - works hard - consistently shows in games, can pass -his biggest fault is that he doesn't have a shot buthe is a defensive midfielder so not a great crime. What is there not to like. Francis doesn't need a song but doesn't deserve some of the stick he gets - he like Semedo consistently shows in games when other players go AWOL.
  • Options
    i think people need to give our fans a bit more credit. Its his commitment we love, not the fact he comes from portugal and hates millwall.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]
    I think peoples comparisons are in terms of generation, not neccesarily quality. Semedo has been brilliant for us the last 3/4 seasons.

I would say he was excellent last season, but he didn't stand out in the Championship.

There is no way he is a Premiership player, as some have suggested.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]Whilst I admire his wholehearted 100% commited style of play, he has probably not won us a single football match, may have saved the odd point.

He is a watercarrier no more, a neccessary evil in the beautiful game. Having said that he should be our captain as you would like a few more of our other players to have his committed approach to football with perhaps a bit more skill.
    Not sure he should be captain. Dailly shows as much commitment as Semedo and is surely the better/more natural leader. Dailly's also shown that commitment throughout his career of 20 years, made the most of his ability and is still one of the fittest players despite being 37.
  • Options
    He lives in Chislehurst

I have a lot of man love for Semedo

I am not a stalker
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He is an integral part of our team I feel. He makes so many vital tackles, not only in the middle of the park, but out on the wings or in the full back posistions. He constantly chases everything and he gets the ball and then just gives it to the more creative players. His job is to break up play, get is the ball back and give it to a team mate to do the attacking stuff. His commitment and passion just add to his status in the team in my opinion. He also wins headers in the middle of the park, especially from goal kicks which relieves some pressure on our centre backs.
  • Options
    Possibly the most over-rated Charlton player since I started supporting them in 1989.

Will be glad to see the back of him and Racon (who is far worse, but at least not idolised).
  • Options
    Pffft
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: boggzy[/cite]Possibly the most over-rated Charlton player since I started supporting them in 1989.

Will be glad to see the back of him and Racon (who is far worse, but at least not idolised).

I am with you on these comments, the pair of them are over rated and in my opinion playing in the corrct league to match their abilities, they would struggle to get into a championship side and as for the prem........leave it out.
  • Options
    Yeah, Semedo is proper toilet.

In the last few years when we've had so many heroes stepping up to the plate as we have swept all before us and had such a successful time of it all it's amazing why people clearly like and empathise with his undying commitment and dedication to the cause.

I'm off now to "pull my pud" over Marcus Bent.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]Yeah, Semedo is proper toilet.

In the last few years when we've had so many heroes stepping up to the plate as we have swept all before us and had such a successful time of it all it's amazing why people clearly like and empathise with his undying commitment and dedication to the cause.

I never said he was "toilet", I said he was playing in the correct league for his abilities, he looks commited and I am sure he is dedicated but I cannot understand this "god like status" he has at our club because him and Racon are not the answer to us getting promoted, they are weak in the tackle, give the ball away easily, do not contribute goals and lack any form of defence splitting pass, if we do scrape up I doubt it will be down to their contribution and they are not championship material.

Most of the time Semedo is praised it is based on him "breaking up play" from our opponents, I would much rather have a midfielder with more flair and vision to turn us into an attacking team so our opponents have the worry of breaking up our play.

I have been supporting the lads since 1967 and been a season ticket holder for most of the years so I fully understand your comments, I have seen some dross too, however Semedo is not a great player, nor a legend never mind a god.
  • Options
    He's by far my favourite player ...but that is not saying much as most of the team are shite. The thing is he plays to the best of his ability in most games, unlike say Reid, who has terrific skills but seems to blow it more often than not. Being a Charlton fan I go to games with hope but don't expect too much. For example, you never have any idea what Francis is going to do: trip over the ball, dodgy back pass, ballooned pass or a fantastic run and centre! Waggy can be hopeless or very effective. With Daily and Doc you always expect a mistake at some point in the game. In the prem I never thought like this except maybe for Lisbie on a one to one. Anyway Semedo is consistent, long may he continue.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: thewolfboy[/cite]He's by far my favourite player ...but that is not saying much as most of the team are shite. The thing is he plays to the best of his ability in most games, unlike say Reid, who has terrific skills but seems to blow it more often than not. Being a Charlton fan I go to games with hope but don't expect too much. For example, you never have any idea what Francis is going to do: trip over the ball, dodgy back pass, ballooned pass or a fantastic run and centre! Waggy can be hopeless or very effective. With Daily and Doc you always expect a mistake at some point in the game. In the prem I never thought like this except maybe for Lisbie on a one to one. Anyway Semedo is consistent, long may he continue.

Lol, thank you wolfboy, I think you have just supported my case, Semedo is your fav player because he does not trip over, make a mistake or baloon the ball over the bar. then we wonder why we are in league 1.
  • Options
    Plays with his heart on his sleeve. Fights for every thing. Has more commitment than anyone else in the team and show his love for the fans. Off the pitch he is supposed to be a gent and always has time to talk to fans.

That's why he is a fans favourite and he would be my first name on the team sheet. Give me semedos commitment and desire over a lazy Marcus bent, hasselbaink, Carlton cole any day

As for wanting a player with flare and vision that would be someone to go along side jose
  • Options
    We look weaker without him

That would make him a good player in my books
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: eaststandmike[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]Yeah, Semedo is proper toilet.

I never said he was "toilet", I said he was playing in the correct league for his abilities

This league is toilet...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]We look weaker without him

That would make him a good player in my books

This
  • Options
    Did i just read a post saying Jose was weak in the tackle? Really? Have you seen Semedo tscmackle?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: eaststandmike[/cite]Most of the time Semedo is praised it is based on him "breaking up play" from our opponents, I would much rather have a midfielder with more flair and vision to turn us into an attacking team so our opponents have the worry of breaking up our play.

That's what we're missing alongside Semedo, not instead of. It was Keith Jones who allowed Kins to play, Kish who allowed Murphy to play. At the moment we have our ballwinning holding midfielder and no-one for him to give it to.