Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Notts County - Post Match Thoughts

edited February 2011 in General Charlton
I'll start it.

Comments

• some of the worst football ive seen in a long time, but i have to say their pitch was fucking awful!
  • typical.... But a bit of luck and the world can change... a win on Tuesday and it will all look different ...
  • Anyone got a rope!
  • We weren't that bad. Need to start being more clinical in the first half though and take the initiative in these sorts of games.
  • I'll say it, because everyone else is thinking it.....3 defeats on the bounce in this division, did that ever happen under the previous manager? Anyway......

Wasn't really watching the first half, but it seemed that we were the better side.

2nd half wasn't particularly good. Passing was lacking (again). Defending at setplays was lacking (again). Decision making when in possession was lacking (again). Movement off the ball was non-existant (again).

This season is starting to feel like the first season back in the Championship. I said it in the post Exeter analysis and I'll say it again, unless we get 2-3 players in to significantly improve what is there we will slip out of the play-offs.

Personally think we are going backwards.

IMO still only played well for 30mins of Powell's tenure.
  • edited February 2011
    [cite]Posted By: Covered_End_Lad[/cite]some of the worst football ive seen in a long time, but i have to say their pitch was fucking awful!

weren't that bad as i said on match thread, shite penalty got to put your foot through it,substitutes made no impact .
  • Huffed and puffed. Lacking quality in a number of positions. Can't see how that will change until the summer transfer window. CP is limited with what he can do with loan signings. Too many average players. Not their fault, it's all we could afford at the beginning of the season.
  • edited February 2011
    [cite]Posted By: Clem_Snide[/cite]I'll say it, because everyone else is thinking it.....3 defeats on the bounce in this division, did that ever happen under the previous manager? Anyway......

Wasn't really watching the first half, but it seemed that we were the better side.

2nd half wasn't particularly good. Passing was lacking (again). Defending at setplays was lacking (again). Decision making when in possession was lacking (again). Movement off the ball was non-existant (again).

This season is starting to feel like the first season back in the Championship. I said it in the post Exeter analysis and I'll say it again, unless we get 2-3 players in to significantly improve what is there we will slip out of the play-offs.

Personally think we are going backwards.

IMO still only played well for 30mins of Powell's tenure.

fair comment there, we haven't set the world a light since powelly came in, we'll see what everybody is made of over the coimng weeks, new owners included me thinks.
  • edited February 2011
    I really like Jenkinson, he has gotta be ahead of Fry at LB, I know he made that 1 silly pass but we can put that down to youth. Also agree with Clem we seem to lack a general intelligence on the pitch.
  • Sponsored links:

• I am seriously worried. Thought we were hard done by but losing three consecutive matches to Hartlepool, Exeter and Notts County? Doesn't matter about the pitch, luck or anything else. Really poor.
  • It seemed that we were trying to keep the ball on the deck a bit more - but a cabbage patch of a pitch prevented any free flowing football.
  • Maybe its because I watched the game in the pub with no commentary to 'help' me, but i thought that we were easily the better side and were really unlucky to lose. Can't recall the last time I found myself saying that.
  • Judge Powell next october when its his team out there - whatever division we are in.

We are trying to play better football but lack quality in centre defence and midfield - we all know it. And Powell must surely see it.

However frustrated we are, we need to stay supportive of Charlton, Chris and the players!!
  • Need a leader out there on the pitch, someone to grab the game by the balls. Don't want to generalise too much about the game but would like to say Docherty looks like a lame horse at the moment and our passing has gone up the swanny. Doubt we will even make the play offs at this rate........
  • [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]I am seriously worried. Thought we were hard done by but losing three consecutive matches to Hartlepool, Exeter and Notts County? Doesn't matter about the pitch, luck or anything else. Really poor.

First sentence = snap.
    Second sentence = inexcusible with this squad.
    Third sentence = correct.
    Fourth sentence = nail on head.
  • First half we were better than we could have expected on that pitch.

But as I said at h/t, we can't afford to miss good chances like that, or else we will end up pointless. Same as on Sat v Exeter.

This three strikers policy does not work. Two matches and one goal, and even that was only a consolation...

Fell sorry for Powell. BWP, Ecleston and Anyinsah are three of the most skillful players in the squad, so you can see why he doesn't want to leave any of them out. And you can argue that the policy does create chances. But it's meaningless if we don't take them...
  • edited February 2011
    Don't know what to say really that won't sound knee jerk so i'll just say i like the look of Jenkinson. The rest is what it is - third rate.
  • Is there a plan b? Nah, didn't think so
  • Not read any other comments heres my opinion

A frustrating game to watch, i knew that BWP was gunna miss, he was far too casual taking that pen. Jenkinson was decent again even if he had to play out of position. I felt that we should have kept Nathan right wing, as soon as we put him to the left he was quiet. On another day, we would have won this game. Docherty needs to be dropped.
    We still have a couple of games in hand, some being Southampton so there is still plently of time to push for promotion, we are still creating chances, of which we weren't doing at times under Phil Parkinson. We need to keep positive i know its hard, but we need to get behind them 100%.
  • Sponsored links:

• Actually the more I think about it we were the better side, great move for ecclestone that pulled a great save from keeper, and the keeper took out anyinsah , missed Pen, we just arent getting the lukc, we got all our luck at the beginning of Powells reign, I am confident it will sort itself out...
  • [cite]Posted By: SurreyAddick[/cite]Judge Powell next october when its his team out there - whatever division we are in.

We are trying to play better football but lack quality in centre defence and midfield - we all know it. And Powell must surely see it.

However frustrated we are, we need to stay supportive of Charlton, Chris and the players!!

We have better players than 80% of the teams on this league.

They can't do the basics properly.

We haven't looked convincing for weeks.

With the squad we have, we should be in the play-offs as a minimum. At the moment I am seriously doubting our ability to reach them.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Tutt-Tutt[/cite]Huffed and puffed. Lacking quality in a number of positions. Can't see how that will change until the summer transfer window. CP is limited with what he can do with loan signings. Too many average players. Not their fault, it's all we could afford at the beginning of the season.[/quote]

Lacking quality again.

Anyone got a really big broom?
  • [cite]Posted By: chablis addick[/cite]Is there a plan b? Nah, didn't think so

Sven's influence?
  • 3 defeats against 3 poor teams.
    Some nice flashes of what we can do but just flashes and still not enough end product.
    My real worry is the lack of steel about the team and for what other teams have lacked in skill they have made up for it by getting stuck in.
    Unless we get some steel and more quality about us quickly this season could turn into a disaster.
    I also thought we completely drooped after the missed penalty and didn't expect us to score after we missed.
    Fresh faces needed but they have to be the right faces.
  • I like that fact he keeps quoting curbs "Goals change games" its "importnat not to get to up when you win or too down when you lose"

Overall he is very green, he is trying to play football when there is a basic hole in the teams structure, which is a lack of creative midfielder... folowed by a close second of a decent centre back that isnt pushing 40 ....

if we had a decent midfielder in the team we would be in a much stronger position..
  • Disjointed team. CP needs to decide on his best formation and stick with it. Sorry, but Racon is neither combative or creative enough, he offers very little. Stick Waggy back in midfield, he had an excellent game there against Peterborough and offers far more going forward. Very impressed with Jenkinson apart from the backpass. We missed Abbots hold up play tonight. Terrible pitch which made it very difficult. We mustn't lose our nerve, we have some decent players and I think CP is trying too hard to fit them all into the team.
  • Another game we could have won, and we deserved at least a point.

Attacking approach to play Wright-Phillips, Anyinsah and Eccleston, but don't think it plays to their strengths.

And someone alongside Semedo who can pass the ball could still make a big difference - but that's not news to anyone.

Hopefully we'll get an early goal on Tuesday, settle a few nerves and get things back on track.
  • I don't think we were that bad, in fact I think in the first half we played really well considering that quagmire. The best team does not always win.
  • edited February 2011
    Imho one of our better performances on a cowfield. Still defending deep. Need to play our quickies in down the channels.