Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Notts County - Post Match Thoughts

Comments

• Options
    Pretty much agree with all of that GH.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]i once again think despite losing we've played better than we did against plymouth and p'boro when we won
    automatics have gone now so we have to make the play offs
    this squad has enough about it to get to them but SCP needs to guide them there
    it's a pony league so i'm not worrying yet
    0% chance of automatics
    65% chance of the play offs
    35% chance of what i suspected would happen, when we conceded our championship position by appointing parky, in that we'll be equalling the worse run in our history since we first got promoted from division 3 in 1929 .....
    still don't mention it cos the apologists will try and find some bullshit reason why it's so great to support charlton despite being the shittiest side in south london

mike small, ralph milne, tal el kalej, brendan o connell - reality is that they were all a class above this lot. bloody sad really.
  • Options
    I agree with those who feel we've played better for most of the last two games than we did for most of the four consecutive wins. We had a lucky streak and now we've had an an unlucky one. Overall, we are what we are and have been all season - a club with realistic aspirations to a league one playoff place. Less than that will be a failure, but not a surpise.
  • Options
    what makes me laugh (or maybe cry) is that we have a converted defender and a second division french footballer running (or trying to run) our midfield and it is so painstakingly obvious that they can't do it yert they are held out as beacons as to why we should be going up.
  • Options
    I blame the new fans, that will now be old fans.

Some of the players need a bit of this me thinks ;0)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zg_lPJ8hHP0&feature=youtube_gdata_player
  • Options
    Dissapointing yes but i'm still not that bothered yet. Still improving as a team and a club in my opinion.

A lot has changed in a short space of time and it's very much a long term work in process. That's what this season is now about, but as usual some expect everything to be successful straight away. At least now i can see us trying to play football and that we now have a chance of heading in the right direction which hasn't been the case for a long time.

With some additions and changes, and for Powelly experience, things will come good; I genuinly believe that, and i'm a glass half empty guy. But that's gonna take a bit of time so people need to sit back, be patient and look at the bigger picture. It's gonna be frustrating for a while yet....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DRAddick[/cite]Dissapointing yes but i'm still not that bothered yet. Still improving as a team and a club in my opinion.

A lot has changed in a short space of time and it's very much a long term work in process. That's what this season is now about, but as usual some expect everything to be successful straight away. At least now i can see us trying to play football and that we now have a chance of heading in the right direction which hasn't been the case for a long time.

With some additions and changes, and for Powelly experience, things will come good; I genuinly believe that, and i'm a glass half empty guy. But that's gonna take a bit of time so people need to sit back, be patient and look at the bigger picture. It's gonna be frustrating for a while yet....

hope your right - my support will be there come what may and venting on here, to me, is better than venting at games
  • Options
    I felt we deserved a point to be honest. County were not great and rode their luck, keeper deserved the elbow, Wright -Phillips penalty was dire. The thing that grates with me most is the poor quality of our passing and ball retention, mind you on that pitch it was a wonder the game was even played on that disgrace of a pitch, I really think the league need to punish clubs who have pitches this poor in 2011. Still that said County had to play on it too so that no way excuses us.
  • Options
    Disappointed that C P reaction to going behind was to change players not shape. Push up into their half ffs. The only constant in our inconsistency has been our back two. BTW where was Abbott? (Donkey).
  • Options
    I hate to say it but Golfie you are spot on, I think too many on here are letting their disappointment cloud their view of the game. A combination of bad luck (the ref had a shocker imo, keeper should have gone and the amount of fouls committed by County that should have received a card was a joke, their fluke of a goal and the fact JJ wasn't there to take the pen), poor finishing (BWP, Ecclestone and Anyinsah all guilty) and that pitch conspired to us losing that game. Come on people it wasn't that bad.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    For some reason over the last few games Charlton have turned into my championship manager side.

On paper they are better than the opposition, on paper I have lethal a frontline. Yet, my defence makes silly mistakes like pass backs (Docherty v's Exeter) that are never gonna make the goalkeeper, a keeper (Elliott v's Exeter) giving away penalties on the corner of the box ?, League top goalscorer missing from 12 yards (BWP v's Notts County) and I give a way silly goals (it came off hes a*se for god sake v's Notts County).

You can't legislate for these kind of errors, SCP must be pulling hes hair out with frustration...........but like Champ manager you keep pressing play until you win it will come good.
  • Options
    Golfie and Goonerhater have said it for me.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DRAddick[/cite]Dissapointing yes but i'm still not that bothered yet. Still improving as a team and a club in my opinion.

Sorry DR, but we are not improving as a team, in fact I have not seen any improvement at all since CP took over. Absolutely terrible decision to play a right footed Jenkinson at left back when we have a choice of Fry or Jackson. Don't get me wrong, the lad did ok, but everytime he ventured forward he was turning back onto his right foot. I also don't understand the Wagstaff love in on here, he's hopeless, just a headless chicken. Never goes past a fullback, all he's got is push and run and generally creates nothing.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]I just find it sad that even at this level i no longer expect us to win. I expect it to be a poor game with the outside chance of us maybe geting a result.

We are shit
    in a very very poor league.

Would it matter who was the manager ? i dont reallythink so. There is only so much you can do with the squad you have.

To get in the play offs is still a target, --- not because we are any good but just because most are at the same level or even worse.

We have the ability to LOOSE to anyone.

Just because CP wants us to play football dosnt mean we have the players that CAN play football.

That wasnt even a bad performance by our standards
    which shows how truely far we have fallen.

What (as an oldie) i see is years and years ofthis darkness and twilight----going back to that God awful place ofthe early 70s when EVERYONE could take the piss out of CAFC because we had been shit for donkeys years.

Great post.
  • Options
    First half we should have been 2 up. Poor finishing though and then you just knew they were going to score first.

Typical Charlton

2nd half we were poor really. County weren't anything but they got 3 points, would even say they are the worst team we've played under Powell. Best we can hope for is 6th, but 3 defeats in a row against mediocre teams isn't good enough and imo if Parky would have got more from them. People will say that is wrong and we should give Powell a chance but I really don't think he's had that much an impact. Plus I want to get out of this shit league.
  • Options
    Not read trough the thread and TBH honest we could easily had a point.
    Disgusted at the state of the pitch. People say its same for both teams but it just means you aren't going to see any football.
    BWP pen was pathetic and you knew he'd miss as he ambled up to take it.
    I was never going to judge Chris Powell on half a season, but hopefully we'll see less of this SCP euphoria.
    He was a great player for us but I'll on judge his management skills after a reasonable period.
    I'd expect us to win 3 of the next 4 games.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Essex_Al[/cite]

Sorry DR, but we are not improving as a team, in fact I have not seen any improvement at all since CP took over. Absolutely terrible decision to play a right footed Jenkinson at left back when we have a choice of Fry or Jackson. Don't get me wrong, the lad did ok, but everytime he ventured forward he was turning back onto his right foot. I also don't understand the Wagstaff love in on here, he's hopeless, just a headless chicken. Never goes past a fullback, all he's got is push and run and generally creates nothing.

Subjective i suppose, I do see improvement, obviously not leaps and bounds and immediate but for me the signs are there and given time will prove fruitful. Yes there are lots of mistakes being made and problems with players, and there will be for some time yet. So far it's been pretty much what i expected, we're gonna win some and we're gonna lose some; we're gonna play some decent stuff occasionally and we're gonna play crap and frustratingly a lot of the time. We have a new manager who's gotta learn taking over a not very good team, I can't believe people didn't expect us to go back before going forward.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    To everyone that still blames the midfield for this, did they specifically tell Eccleston and BWP to literally shoot on sight in the first half? Even when put straight through they made the wrong decisions, and that is not the midfield's fault. And as for BWP's penalty, I would give duties like that to Dailly from now on, that was atrocious.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Bexley Dan[/cite]

hope your right - my support will be there come what may and venting on here, to me, is better than venting at games

Agree wholeheartedly with two points. 1) its gonna be frustrating for a while yet and 2) my support will be there come what may. But as for the team improving, I just don't understand how you can qualify that statement. I love Powelly as much as the next guy, I do, but at the end of the day we have gone backwards imo.

The club is in a much better shape, I am delighted that the long term future of the club ( in terms of whether it actually exists or not) has been secured by new owners who have put thought and tact into pretty much every aspect of their takeover. But the team on the pitch is not doing the business. We are no better on the grass than we were when Parky was in charge.

If I'm honest, I got caught up in the Powell hysteria and thought that we would be a much tougher side to beat after he came in. But it hasn't really happened. As others have said, we have played a total of about 60 mins of decent stuff since Powell took over. The same mistakes that have been there for 2 seasons keep coming back to haunt us, and I've given up trying to work out why they keep happening; defending from set pieces, scoring from set pieces, not taking clear cut chances, no decent delivery into the box, poor in the first 15 mins after half time etc.

Some have pointed to the fact that Powell made an excellent start in winning the first 4, and that a total of 4 wins out of 7 isn't too shabby. But I think an important point is that other teams around us are getting the same results, if not better. We won 4 games on the spin and how many places did it move us up the league? 2 (or 3 for a very short time). You are only as good as the teams around you. If Huddersfield, Bournemouth, Southampton etc continue to win their games and beat teams like Notts County and Exeter, then we MUST do the same if we want promotion. The fact that we're losing to these teams just really depresses me, especially when we have as much of the play as we did in the first half tonight. I want Powell to succeed so badly, I just think with the players we have in comparison to the rest of the league, we ought to be doing a lot better than we are right now.
  • Options
    Back from the game, I've seen Charlton play an awful lot worse this season and win including the home game against Notts. Obviously an awful pitch for passing but we did need to try more options in the first half then lump it forward to BWP. Their flukey goal was a real shame as our defence was only being troubled by its own mistakes before then.There were often big holes in the midfield when we just weren't working hard enough positionally. I did feel their goalie should of had a red card and on other days close chances would of gone in. 2nd half Waggy and Francis were linking up well and we seemed to be passing it around more, the final ball and free kicks were pretty hopeless though.
    Great Charlton crowd, kept singing throughout and really got behind the team. its so good to be with an away crowd like this compared to the moaners I was surrounded by in north lower at the Peterborough game.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Agree with above, Charlton have played a lot worse this season and won.
    Eccelstone had 2 good openings, Anynisah got poleaxed. And the top penatly scorer in the league went off injured.
    Today actually was 'one of those days'....unlike the last game which I can't excuse.
    Not sure what a ball-playing CM would have done today either.
  • Options
    A game we should have won. I don't really accept that we were unlucky - we had a few decent chances including a penalty and just didn't take them. That's not bad luck - it's poor finishing. Notts County were there for the taking and offered next to nothing but we still managed to turn a draw into a defeat. Teams that get promotion don't generally lose three games in a row to the likes of Hartlepool, Exeter and Notts County. Those are the very sorts of games a team going somewhere has to pick up points from. It's simply not good enough.

I keep looking at the players we have and thinking we should be very solid automatic promotion contenders. We're loaded with players who can score at this level so what the heck is going wrong? I do think we need a box to box midfielder who makes things happen and drives others on - but I suppose most other teams think the same. Equally we need a center back with some pace. We all see it but I guess it's not easy to get the right quality of player in at this level. Anyone know if we have any other good youngsters coming through? I thought Jenkinson looks very promising and did a very decent job apart from the one backpass.

Powelly was right in that it's small margins between wins and defeats. But we are definately not on the right side of that margin at the moment and I don't believe that we have the right players to achieve it on a consistent basis.
  • Options
    I got bored after the three first posts. For me i thought we were the better team and created more chances,there only real shot on goal was in the ast minute. As for the football we played the c
    onditions,first half pushing their centre backs to face their own goal and trying the slower approach in the second half. We lost to a fluke goal, stop moaning w were no where as near as bad as it was under parky
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    this club makes me depressed,
  • Options
    As long as BWP keeps a one goal in two games ratio or better then it's hard to criticise.
    But if he doesn't he has nothing else.
    As a schoolboy I was told to keep set pieces off the ground on a muddy pitch.
    If we had scored that penalty we would have had a great chance of kicking on for the win.

Other than that, Racon is not the answer. Doherty spent the whole game shaking his head (no doubt remembering years ago when he was a decent player).
    Elliott is not the goalkeeper for a promotion winning team.
    Jenkinson the only bright spot apart from his brain freeze in the second half.
    Semedo solid again but oh so limited, but at least he does what he does consistently well. We'd be nowhere without him.

Very disappointed, we were unlucky, but we shouldn't need luck against teams like Notts County.
  • Options
    can't disagree with any of that at all Killarahales

a very balanced and on the money description
  • Options
    incidentally... I would love to see the stats on penalties in the top half of the goal, if it's low and isn't right in the corner it's advantage keeper in my opinion - why do that when the whole point of a penalty is the odds are supposed to be overwhelming stacked in favour of the taker?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Killarahales[/cite] but we shouldn't need luck against teams like Notts County.

why not? Cause we are Barcelona I suppose. We are not that much better than them. We are not much better than half of this shitty league.
  • Options
    I thought the keeper should have been sent off, i'm sure he would have done in the premiership
    Passing was awful dont blame the pitch they are professionals they should be able to at least pass to somebody in the same colour shirt
    Jenkinson looked good going forward
    Play off is the best we will make and with that squad would come straight back if promoted
  • Options
    Doherty is past is.
    Jenkinson will become an excellent player in time.
    Francis' delivery is terrible - though at least he gets in those positions.
    Racon gives away needless fouls and free kicks that hurt us (much like Sharon Ambrose used to also)

At times I felt we played some very decent football. We were direct in the first half but caused them all sorts of problems doing so. Second half, Notts changed their tactics and we didn't know what to do next.

Bad goal, bad penalty. Felt Waggy ran into players and blind alleys when he came on, but Reid did nothing either.

Desperately need a centre half with pace and a central midfielder to just put his foot on the ball and keep it simple at times and then unlock the odd pass. We have no creation from the centre of the park.