Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Thread for impatient dimwits

edited February 2011 in General Charlton
Well, it only took seven games, but "charltonfan" takes the prize for being the first person on here to seriously call for Chris Powell's head.
Un-fecking-believable.
Could anyone who agrees with him just put your opinions on this thread so the rest of us can just ignore you please?
At least until Powell's had some time, eh?

Comments

• This site has always been popular andworth reading in my opinion as it has always been well populated with posters who are balanced and less reactionary with their views. I really hope those people don't get discouraged and refrain tolet those who are less balanced and more reactionary dominate.

Funny that the later group is always well populated with anonimous posters who don't know anyone else.....
  • Yeah !
    Sack Powell !!
    Sack The Team !!!
    Sack the Board !!!!
    Sack..........er.........anyone else ?
  • Sack....of potatoes.
    Sack....in Tendulkar
    Er.....
    Andrew Sacks?

I'm done.
  • Not that I would want him out at this early stage - thats just plain daft, but I am seriusly asking some of you's on here who think Chris Powell to be our saviour a few searching questions. esp after 3 straight defeats and during those 3 games not looking any different to anything we produced before been xmas,..

Is this job a bit too soon for a rookie manager ?

if not, then what has he to do to seriusly make a difference to how we have playing lately (new player/formation, etc)
  • Maybe if you spent a fortune watching this team play "seven" games you'd understand. I never thought this site would become a place where travelling fans would feel that they couldn't vent their frustraition at a shocking performance, I guess it has.
  • Yeah, I agree... I see Parky is still out of work. Maybe we could get him in?
  • way too soon to make any judgements on CP - He's dealing with what he's been given but has an opportunity with the loans to make a difference - get it wrong and i won't be calling for his head obviously but i will feel entitled to make an initial judgement.
  • Powell out and bring Parky back in.

Then after a few games Parky out then bring Powell back in.

Good idea???????
  • in out in out shake it all about disco style - like it
  • Nothing wrong in venting at all se9, just nice to have a bit of balance with it or if not points made in a reasoned or articulate way. Perhaps I hope for too much
  • Sponsored links:

• I can tell already that we won't go up this season. Does anyone seriously think we would win in the playoffs? We need to defend set pieces first and learn to score goals in the first half.
    Six games without a goal in the first half is a disgrace.

It's all about how well he does next season really, when it's Powell's team no excuses.
  • Well I haven't seen anyone ask for anything that unreasonable, and if one or two have then maybe that's a development of the sucess of this site. But specifically having threads to mock fans who don't approve of shocking results against inferior teams after you spent £k's watching this rubbish is dissapointing and not what I thouught CL was about.
  • [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]Not that I would want him out at this early stage - thats just plain daft, but I am seriusly asking some of you's on here who think Chris Powell to be our saviour a few searching questions. esp after 3 straight defeats and during those 3 games not looking any different to anything we produced before been xmas,..

Is this job a bit too soon for a rookie manager ?

if not, then what has he to do to seriously make a difference to how we have playing lately (new player/formation, etc)

I don't think he's our saviour, i just think with some time and support he can improve himself and ultimately us, I never felt that with Parky.
    I also think we are an ideal job for a rookie manager like Powell, who brings knowledge and experiencce and respect of the club already and with what appear to be supportive new owners. Our impatient fans make it harder though.
    But for another rookie manager then yes we may be too big a first step. Although we have to remind ourselves we're an aveage league 1 team.
  • [cite]Posted By: se9addick[/cite]Maybe if you spent a fortune watching this team play "seven" games you'd understand. I never thought this site would become a place where travelling fans would feel that they couldn't vent their frustraition at a shocking performance, I guess it has.

Oh leave it out.
    It's a tongue in cheek suggestion to people with unrealistic expectations. I would have thought that was obvious.
    By all means have your say and say it loud and proud. We're all frustrated and venting is useful. No one's violated your human rights.
  • [cite]Posted By: lordromford[/cite]Oh leave it out.

In fairness, we didn't start it pal.
    [cite]Posted By: lordromford[/cite]No one's violated your human rights.

No. but BWP has violated my understanding of what's wrong and right, not sure how I'll function in normal society after this.
  • Maybe a thread for condescending no it alls should be started - sure that would go down well. AFKA has every right to steer the board in the way he wants it - i hope and try to never say something that i wouldn't say to somebody in person. I'm not anonymous but i think that the views of people that are can add to a more diverse and realistic set of opinions as they aren't bound by the same issues of possibly being known by the staff and players who they are discussing. Must be tricky if you are in that position not to be philosophical about things when really you just want to give it straight.
  • [cite]Posted By: se9addick[/cite]Maybe if you spent a fortune watching this team play "seven" games you'd understand.

If you spent a fortune keeping the site going you'd understand.

Nothing wrong with an informed opinion, but there is something wrong with those looking for a reaction and those who only "vent their frustrations". Those who can't take the time to articulate themselves as best they can and provide comments with even a modicum of prepared thought, as opposed to frustrated, half-baked ramblings, deserve nothing more than to be called out for it.
  • [cite]Posted By: se9addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: lordromford[/cite]Oh leave it out.

In fairness, we didn't start it pal.
    [cite]Posted By: lordromford[/cite]No one's violated your human rights.

No. but BWP has violated my understanding of what's wrong and right, not sure how I'll function in normal society after this.

I started the thread, yes. I don't see why calling you on failing to have perspective is affected by that.
    I'm assuming the second bit is an attempt to make a tongue in cheek comment. It is so hard to tell isn't it?

:-)
  • [cite]Posted By: Bexley Dan[/cite]Maybe a thread for condescending no it alls should be started - sure that would go down well. AFKA has every right to steer the board in the way he wants it - i hope and try to never say something that i wouldn't say to somebody in person. I'm not anonymous but i think that the views of people that are can add to a more diverse and realistic set of opinions as they aren't bound by the same issues of possibly being known by the staff and players who they are discussing. Must be tricky if you are in that position not to be philosophical about things when really you just want to give it straight.

Totally behind this. Think it's a bit generalist to say that those who don't know anyone else should have any less importance than those who do. I think the reasoning behind more posters coming on and contributing at these times is becuase results/takeovers/managerial appointments are things that everyone has a stronger opinion on. People feel that they have things worth saying. Players tweets, transfer dealings and even team formations aren't deemed by all to be of primary importance. I contribute very rarely because I don't have time to do much more than read others posts, let alone formulate an articulate response to them. Common sense prevails on this board 99% of the time (as the ridicule of 'charltonfan' proves!) and I hope this continues, but not to the detriment of 'anonymous' posters who may have some worthwhile points to add
  • Today I lost it and on twitter called all Charlton fans 'f**king fickle'. I have not taken down the comments I wrote, because I'm not Glen Johnson, but I would just like to retract them, you're not all 'f**king fickle' I just wish the 'f**king fickle' ones would 'f**king fickle' off.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2011
    His a fan ( charlton fan ) and its his opinion , just cant see why people get worked up over it . Can not see why a thread was made for it , comes across as internet bullying to me. Fecking boring if we all thought the same imo
  • Shame as it looks at the moment like another season at this level looms although everything can change quickly and soon we will be back amogst it
  • Going to be a long haul. Promotion this season is starting to look doubtful although the playoffs are still very possible. Complete rebuild in the summer is essential. At least eight or nine senior players need replacing. I still have faith that CP and this board know and will do what is required but I do now think that two loans of even decent quality won`t make much difference to the dross we currently have. Third teir football again next season.
  • It's a discussion board. Differences of opinion are what make it go round.
    What I think AFKA is referring to, he will disagree if I've misunderstood, is gratuitous abuse of managers, players, fans other posters etc without any reasoning to justify it which is what we are sometimes seeing.

I'll give you your apple at the next match Sir! :-)
  • Im happy. An unbelievable run of results would have been nice but we dont want the cracks papered over.A total strip down and rebuild is required and this takes time.CP will be looking at his squad and seeing all the areas we need to strengthen to make a fist of it in the Championship.Hopefully the board will be intelligent enough to see this.We will be a work in progress for a while.Play offs are still a possibility so lets get behind the club,in a few seasons we will be doing nicely.
  • [cite]Posted By: scabbyhorse[/cite]His a fan ( charlton fan ) and its his opinion , just cant see why people get worked up over it . Can not see why a thread was made for it , comes across as internet bullying to me. Fecking boring if we all thought the same imo

It's not what is said necessarily but the lack of justification for it.

Hypothetical example: Doherty is sh** why doesn't he f*** off? What does that seriously add to the debate? It's just gratuitous abuse and obscenity.

On the other hand: Doherty is sh** because he is slow and liable to make at least one bad mistake a match allows a reasoned response which stimulates debate.

Such as: Yes he is slow but he is courageous and puts his head in where others fear to tread and yes he made two awful howlers against Exeter but look at his reaction: he didn't hide and put in that overhead kick which hit BWP on the arse and went in.

There is then scope for further discussion. Nobody is saying don't express an opinion they are saying give reasons for your opinions.

In my opinion :-)
  • [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: scabbyhorse[/cite]His a fan ( charlton fan ) and its his opinion , just cant see why people get worked up over it . Can not see why a thread was made for it , comes across as internet bullying to me. Fecking boring if we all thought the same imo

It's not what is said necessarily but the lack of justification for it.

Hypothetical example: Doherty is sh** why doesn't he f*** off? What does that seriously add to the debate? It's just gratuitous abuse and obscenity.

On the other hand: Doherty is sh** because he is slow and liable to make at least one bad mistake a match allows a reasoned response which stimulates debate.

Such as: Yes he is slow but he is courageous and puts his head in where others fear to tread and yes he made two awful howlers against Exeter but look at his reaction: he didn't hide and put in that overhead kick which hit BWP on the arse and went in.

There is then scope for further discussion. Nobody is saying don't express an opinion they are saying give reasons for your opinions.

In my opinion :-)

And a very decent opinion it is too Len. In my opinion.
  • Ok point taken len .
  • Those expecting miracles under Powell should be more patient. He has inherited a team that was acquired on a shoestring budget. Last night was not a terrible performance - perhaps, some of the luck of his first four games ran out, but that's all. If the penalty had been coverted, we could easily have run out winners. Notts County didn't trouble our defence and the goal was a fluke.

We tried to play football on a difficult pitch (arugbly a mistake) and kept going to the last. No one disappeared when we went a goal down. If we had drawn or won, the posts would have been somewhat different, I suspect.
  • [cite]Posted By: thai malaysia addick[/cite]Those expecting miracles under Powell should be more patient. He has inherited a team that was acquired on a shoestring budget. Last night was not a terrible performance - perhaps, some of the luck of his first four games ran out, but that's all. If the penalty had been coverted, we could easily have run out winners. Notts County didn't trouble our defence and the goal was a fluke.

We tried to play football on a difficult pitch (arugbly a mistake) and kept going to the last. No one disappeared when we went a goal down. If we had drawn or won, the posts would have been somewhat different, I suspect.

I'm having that.