Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Defence for tuesday

edited February 2011 in General Charlton
Who would you like to see in the team on tuesday (defensive wise)

mine would be:

Jenkinson Mambo Daily Fry

Comments

• Options
    Francis Dailly Amazing new CB (or Llera) Jenkinson
  • Options
    Wouldn't change it from today - the goal came from Semedo losing his man at a set piece, apart from that they barely troubled us. The fact we did not score and a midfielder lost his man does not suggest we need to change the defence.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: chris_7[/cite]Who would you like to see in the team on tuesday (defensive wise)

mine would be:

Jenkinson Mambo Daily Fry[/quote]

So you'd pick Mambo at CH despite his lack of experience and apparent lack of pace, and alongside him pick two other players who are equally inexperienced, one of whom was dropped after a series of less than convincing displays and a capable but ageing Dailly. You really think that four would solve our defensive problems?
  • Options
    Presumably because you're resting old legs after a game on a heavy pitch? Mine would be the same formation that played tonight.
  • Options
    Thought Doherty and Dailly played quite well tonight. They didn't have much help from the CMs throughout the 90 mins
  • Options
    Basically BlackForestReds yes I would, everybody starts somewhere and although doherty didn't make any mistakes today, I still thought he should have been dropped as a result of his awful performance against Exeter.

Also Mambo is a lot more pacier than any other centre back we have at the club, if you have seen some of his reserve or youth games this season, you would understand
  • Options
    The point is - you are advocating starting three defenders who are all playing with L plates on, playing Mambo alongside experienced defenders might be a punt worth taking, but not with a left and right-back who are scarcely more experienced than he is.
  • Options
    Doherty physically cannot kick or head a ball in a different direction to that he is facing when he "receives" the ball. I use the word "receives" lightly because the ball is gone before you've blinked.

If I had a quid for the number of times he totally pointlessly hammered the ball 50 yards on the volley down the pitch or thoughtlessly nodded or sidefooted a bouncing ball wide of him into touch I would probably have our mystery billionaire owners polishing my shoes.

Fit for a John Smith's advert, and plays like he's had 10.
  • Options
    Defence isn't a huge problem to me. The midfield rarely control the game, our wide players are inconsistent going forward and our strikers aren't great at linking the play, winning headers or holding up the ball.

Improve at least some of the above and the defence would be under less pressure.
  • Options
    I do understand your point but I just believe the performances Jenkinson has had, there is no way he can be dropped and Fry seems to be our only real option for left back
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    As bad as the Ginger Les Berry and Dailly have been, the main problem is midfield.
  • Options
    ..........hard to beat 10 men

.........referee had a poor game

.........pitch was too heavy.

ooops, sorry. Misread the thread & thought you were after Powel;s comments after a 4th straight defeat. !!

lol
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]Defence isn't a huge problem to me. The midfield rarely control the game, our wide players are inconsistent going forward and our strikers aren't great at linking the play, winning headers or holding up the ball.

Improve at least some of the above and the defence would be under less pressure.

agreed - i think both loans have to be midfielders or a midfielder and a number 10 style forward who drops off and wants to link up - that is what is missing from our game - we play in straight lines - we hare down one line or the other, lump it over , battle a bit, scramble a bit and then start the process all over again - we very rarely craft out a goal from good play which is why that goal we scored against peterborough when francis and eccles linked up so well was so well received. the only slight variation today was that we also tried to lump it straight down the middle from the off rather than the last twenty.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]Defence isn't a huge problem to me. The midfield rarely control the game, our wide players are inconsistent going forward and our strikers aren't great at linking the play, winning headers or holding up the ball.

Improve at least some of the above and the defence would be under less pressure.[/quote]

Spot on.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Midfield don't control the game because a) defence play too far away and b) they don't pass to them but hoof upfield.

I'm not sure Mambo is the answer but I'd be tempted to bring in Cousins and have Jenks inside. They'd be bullied and do less well than current pediatrics but are the future. At Least they are comfortable on the ball and can pass it.
  • Options
    Can go in circles here.

Maybe if the movement was better the defence would be able to pass it out more often.

Maybe they could play higher up the pitch if our attacking players kept possession better.

Really just comes down to needing better players doesn't it. What we definitely don't have is a Deon Burton type player, a real quality all round CM or playmaker, or pace at centre back.

Throwing young players in at centre back is the last thing we should do IMO. Mambo strengths aren't his pace or distribution. Cousins is 16 and at this stage I think Jenkinson is more suited to right back.
  • Options
    Just imagine if we did have a Deon Burton type player upfront alongside BWP. That type player with a first good touch, win the ball in the air hold it up and can lay it off out wide it would make a hell a lot of difference.

Semedo looked to be marking him but then Doherty seemed to get in Semedo's way as he was trying to track his run.

For me It seems most of the games the midfield can't stamp down as the defence do play the ball over the top, and it just comes back as we can't hold it up there. Dailly looks more assured and can play the ball out of defence and sometimes travels with the ball It is Doherty and Francis the main culprits.
  • Options
    have to disagree with chris_7 here. Mambo has pace? LOL. And how many reserve or youth games has he played this season ? And how have you seen these reserve appearances ?

Telling that Jenkinson a right footer starts ahead of Fry. Bessone starts ahead of Fry. It seems it's anyone else at LB but Fry. Fry is naturally a CH but hasn't been given a game there. Why exactly have we signed Fry ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]Why exactly have we signed Fry ?

To play him at centre half, pretty please?
  • Options
    Fry was signed to allow Jackson to play left midfield and to provide cover at CH (say if there was an injury during a game to Dailly and the subs were used or we had a load of suspensions). The only reason Fry didn't play last night was because he's lost form not because he's a crap left back. He did perfectly ok there prior to Xmas. Some people on here were even talking about him getting in the West Ham team.

In general, the defence is ok for me. I like CH's that can head and Dailly/Doc are both excellent in that department. I'm not expecting 3rd Div CH's to be able to play like Bobby Moore (especially on pitches like last night's!) so the midfield is the place where any proper passing can be done. Unfortunately, our best player (Semedo) doesn't have the ability to pass like Danny Murphy or Claus Jensen so the ball is turned over regularly (he's great at winning it back). Defences come under much more pressure when balls are continually given away and that is part of the problem for us. It's not going to happen but a player like Andy Reid in midfield would transform the team overnight. Every player would be made to look much better.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    How did docherty play well? everything he touches ends any play,jenkinson impressed in that he chose to run at player could be a real gem that one.
  • Options
    Docherty played well because he did not gift the opposition and goals or even chances
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Francis Dailly Fry Jenkinson
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cfgs[/cite]Docherty played well

In comparison to his Exeter performance he was like Bobby Moore

Anyone that thinks he played well last night I have no idea what game you were watching, every ball was lumped up to a bloke never going to win it, or out for a throw, including when we had minutes to go and notts county were taking 45 seconds per throw. Now that's intelligence for you.
    [cite]Posted By: Simonsen[/cite]the defence is ok for me

If conceding two or more goals in 13 of our 30 league games is ok I don't know... last night was one of the only times this season the attack failed the defence... one of the only times - how often has it been the other way around and we've got points IN SPITE of our defence?
  • Options
    largeaddick, its called going down to sparrows lane when the reserve games are on. I think I know when the games are by looking at upcoming fixtures you twat
  • Options
    Roll the dice:

Solly Jenks Dailly Fry
  • Options
    Doesnt anyone think we should start by having a decent keeper?
  • Options
    Francis was missed against Exeter and has not done a lot wrong recently imho
    Dailly
    Fry
    Jenkinson
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: killer kish[/cite]Doesnt anyone think we should start by having a decent keeper?
    Yeah, that's why we've got Robbie. Who do you expect to see Lev Yashin?
  • Options
    Drop Doc