Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Midfielder needed....

edited February 2011 in General Charlton
Only one I can think who is the type we need is Keith Andrews, former Mk Dons at Blackburn.

Box to box, can create and importantly scores goals.

We have no cohesion in centre of the Park with either Racant and McOxo.

Comments

• Options
    hang on a minute - you can't do this to me - i'll have nothing else to post about.
  • Options
    Keith Andrews - good shout.
  • Options
    Yeah very good shout on Andrews. Think he is just coming back from injury as well so will probably be availble for loan.
  • Options
    when can we sign players on loan i know its already open but we need them for the play offs soo anyone know?
  • Options
    I thought Racon was better than Semedo tonight. Have a feeling Racon would be better playing in a Jackson type role on either wing, has ability to create and athleticism to get back and defend. This is if we get a CM in on loan.
  • Options
    Do you remember last time Racon got switched to the wing?
  • Options
    What happened?

I remember he played there at the start of last season then got dropped as he didn't want to play there.
  • Options
    This is my last desperate attempt at trying to be positive.
  • Options
    How many goals has Racon scored or created from midfield last season and this? Certainly not enough for an offensive midfielder. We need a midfielder who can dictate the pace of the game, who can retain the ball and not keep giving it away cheaply. Without such a player we will never function properly as a team.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: BigRedEvil[/cite]What happened?

I remember he played there at the start of last season then got dropped as he didn't want to play there.[/quote]
    My point exactly ,Racon plays better in the middle beingf our most creative player
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Keith Andrews would be fantastic for us no doubt... But why would he come to charlton? We are not going to sign someone who is literally and metaphorically out of our league.
  • Options
    Racon is totally worthless I'm sick to death of hearing otherwise... in the league this season - 1 assist, 0 goals

Paired with Semedo what a threat that is.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Lost Red[/cite]Keith Andrews would be fantastic for us no doubt... But why would he come to charlton? We are not going to sign someone who is literally and metaphorically out of our league.[/quote]

Read what I wrote, I said the TYPE of player.
  • Options
    at last a thread that gets to the heart of the problem.
  • Options
    we need DEFENDERS we have been scoring til now
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]we need DEFENDERS we have been scoring til now[/quote]

Agreed, but we are constantly being over run in midfield.

3 up front doesn't work either.
  • Options
    I of course agree that a playmaker is exactly what we need but that is just the tip of the iceberg isn`t it ? BWP aside I don`t rate any of our strikers and their goals tally supports this view I think. Defence is little more than a joke quite frankly and although an unpopular view I don`t rate Elliot very highly either. Our wide players in Waggy, Reid and I include Eccy here also are not consistent and Jacksons goal tally hides the fact that he imho is often invisible for long periods and seems to be getting slower every week. The Semedo / Racon pairing poses no threat whatsoever , what is it now 1 goal between them ? This is a very tough job for CP and its going to take a long time to sort out changes of the magnitude required. Certainly not a knee jerk reaction to three straight defeats just an opinion accrued over the whole season.
  • Options
    i agree we ned to play a solid 442
  • Options
    Jackson has been particularly poor the last couple of games, but otherwise is he not the nearest we have to a box to box type player? They are hard to find. Since Kinsella, we have struggled with this role.

I don't think the last few games should necessarily result in new players, at least not wholesale changes. We have played a lot worse earlier in the season and are still creating enough chances to win games (Hartlepool apart from reports). Also significant improvements have been made to the squad in the past few weeks. However motivation and basic errors can always be worked on and i think thats where energy should be focussed.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]we need DEFENDERS we have been scoring til now[/quote]

If our midfielders were capable of holding on to the ball it would not constantly be coming back at our defenders - whilst our defence is not perfect, IMO it is good enough.

As such I would go for a creative midfielder and hold up striker (if Abbot is not good/fit enough). This should hopefully aid ball retention and hence releive pressure on the defence.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    it is not good enough they never get the first touch on crosses etc Doherty is shite and Dailly is slow Francis is hit and miss as is Fry
  • Options
    racon's attributes rise when he is put on the wing on fifa? ;)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: mr.se7[/cite]racon's attributes rise when he is put on the wing on fifa? ;)
    or up front
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    ISaw, no offence but what you on about mate? - Racon is probably our best technically gifted player and has scored a few in the league, Peterborough away springs to mind. I think he scored against D&R in both the JPT and league as well.. His done a lot more than McCormack in my opinion.

I agree we need another midfielder in on loan, Bostock would be brilliant but will it happen? We possibly need another centre back as we are getting caught out far too often with Dailly and Doherty together in defence. Personally I think we need a right winger as Wagstaff isn't an out and out winger, yes he has been good for us this season but he looked much more effective playing in the whole when Peacock and the first game or two with Powell. Eccleston isn't a winger either, admittedly he can play there and has done a decent job there but he is a striker, one who needs to find his shooting boots as he has been wasteful with chances in the last two games.

All in all, we can always say we need a player here and there but we can only get a couple in because of the 5 loans in a matchday squad rule. Let's hope Powell makes the correct decisions and brings in two quality players that will give us that push. What we have to do is keep supporting and do our best to keep positive. COYR.
  • Options
    Andrews just fouled Ashley Young, to give Villa a pen and to go 1-0 up.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    [cite]Posted By: Sage[/cite]ISaw, no offence but what you on about mate? - Racon is probably our best technically gifted player and has scored a few in the league, Peterborough away springs to mind. I think he scored against D&R in both the JPT and league as well.. His done a lot more than McCormack in my opinion.

Apologies my stats are indeed out of date...
    He has 2 league goals and 1 league assist

Technically gifted he may be but what he does with it I don't know. Pretty touches, flicks and pivots that seem to take him all of 5 yards. When we get the ball in midfield, it goes, Semedo... 5 yard pass sideways (that's ok enough and his job if he's just won the ball back)... to Racon... pivot, touch, goes forward a bit, stops, and then another short pass. At this point, both our central midfielders have made their contribution and we are on the halfway line. In a 4-5-1 that's fine. Racon and Semedo are fine for me in a 4-5-1... but we can't play that - we don't have a "number 10" to play in behind and link play.

In midfield, in the centre, we have no thrust, no drive, no occasional let alone regular goalscorer or creator, no threat to make the other side's midfield worried and think "god what's going to happen if I push up 5/10 yards and they catch us counter-attacking?"... the way to play against us is push up, play the offside trap and stifle the middle of the park and it's working a treat... the midfield can't get through and therefore stagnate, the defenders have nobody to give the ball to as everyone is shunted up in front of them so just launch it because Semedo and Racon are standing 15 yards away marked, which they are far too happy to do anyway.

I am not advocating McCormack either... not by a long shot, we need a real attacking contributor in the centre and not two plodders or a plodder and a pivoter.
  • Options
    Go 4 up front
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Sage[/cite]ISaw, no offence but what you on about mate? - Racon is probably our best technically gifted player and has scored a few in the league, Peterborough away springs to mind. I think he scored against D&R in both the JPT and league as well.. His done a lot more than McCormack in my opinion.

Technically gifted he may be but what he does with it I don't know. Pretty touches, flicks and pivots that seem to take him all of 5 yards. When we get the ball in midfield, it goes, Semedo... 5 yard pass sideways (that's ok enough and his job if he's just won the ball back)... to Racon... pivot, touch, goes forward a bit, stops, and then another short pass. At this point, both our central midfielders have made their contribution and we are on the halfway line. In a 4-5-1 that's fine. Racon and Semedo are fine for me in a 4-5-1... but we can't play that - we don't have a "number 10" to play in behind and link play.

In midfield, in the centre, we have no thrust, no drive, no occasional let alone regular goalscorer or creator, no threat to make the other side's midfield worried and think "god what's going to happen if I push up 5/10 yards and they catch us counter-attacking?"... the way to play against us is push up, play the offside trap and stifle the middle of the park and it's working a treat... the midfield can't get through and therefore stagnate, the defenders have nobody to give the ball to as everyone is shunted up in front of them so just launch it because Semedo and Racon are standing 15 yards away marked, which they are far too happy to do anyway.

I am not advocating McCormack either... not by a long shot, we need a real attacking contributor in the centre and not two plodders or a plodder and a pivoter.

ISAW, as Andy Gray would say 'Take a bow son' - or as it's early saturday evening, 'you absolutely nailed it'
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]

Correct, and Waggy is just that kind of player to link the midfield to attack. He's quick. he'll run all day and he can actually shoot. No opposing midfield is going to push too far up the pitch with him around. He's wasted out on the wing because he needs to be constantly involved in the game. I thought he was a revelation in that role against Peterborough and I can't understand why Powell hasn't stuck with it.
  • Options
    Haha Keith Andrews gave away a penalty yesterday!

Thanks Keith!