Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lets face it, oohaah is right....

Comments

• Options
    At £2k a week i expect them to be able to pass to one another & when trying to score not find row Z no mater what conditions they are playing in.
  • Options
    i thought this was gonna be about away attendances.
  • Options
    sums it all up -----having a Nillwall twonk come on here and taking the piss---rightly because we are kak. Get use to it you youn uns.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]sums it all up
    having a Nillwall twonk come on here and taking the piss---rightly because we are kak. Get use to it you youn uns.

The problem with that is they they won't. The young kids will inevitably become Arsenal or Chelsea fans if we continue to be so rubbish. I don't have Sky TV, but I do watch the odd game in the Champions League or the FA Cup and the football on offer is light years ahead of us. If you do have Sky you can probably watch any one of the top four fifteen times plus a season. I doubt that you could take an U14 to much more than that at The Valley, taking into account late kick-offs for midweek games.

Even though we were in the 3rd division whe I statred going I seroiusly doubt I could be tempted to follow us if I was ten now.

We need to improve what is on offer or we run the risk of losing another generation of kids. My son is 6 (nearly 7) and I can't even bribe him to come to The Valley.
  • Options
    This thread is actually a''WTF is this manager doing'' thread in disguise. I love CP, but we opted for inexperience in a league that would probably baffle the hell out of Clough and Shankly. We have taken the cheap route and it is starting to backfire. Without doubt, those who badgered Parkinson and hailed CP are starting to whine.

Luckily for us, a Moroccan and a Belgian will soon be in to sort the mess. Benson will strike a partnership with BWP that will see us through the playoffs. Semedo will take his place in the back 4, and we will change this goalkeeper. Then things will start to happen.

Masicat always right !!!!!!!!
  • Options
    I think Chrissy has a brief to get us playing more attacking, entertaining football. This is important as watching paint dry games hardly encourages youn supporters. It doesn't do that much for us old farts either but I suppose I will and many on here will carry on going to the Valley - no matter what is churned out. The club needs new supporters though.
  • Options
    Was thinking about this thread constantly tonight.

Watching Elliot gift them a goal with a terrible bit of keeping
    Certain players looking non league, some without any passion or desire. Some so negative.
    Stadium a third full
    Dull dull football.

Perhaps unfairly the phrase pub league did crop up a few times.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cafcdan18[/cite]Was thinking about this thread constantly tonight.

Stadium a third full

YOURS!!!!!
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: cafcdan18[/cite]Was thinking about this thread constantly tonight.

Stadium a third full

YOURS!!!!!

what ? don't get it!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]YOURS!!!!!

that's made me laugh. thanks.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Stadium a third full

YOURS!!!!!

quarter bid
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]

Stadium a third full

YOURS!!!!!

quarter bid

Given again.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Entertaining football? Attacking football? It's CAFC's job - Board and Management, to get us out of Div 1 a.s.a.p. before we get too used to it. How it's done is immaterial.
  • Options
    Hope this Moroccan and Belgian turn up soon !!
  • Options
    League 1/tier 3

The standard of football is pretty good

The standard of footballer, however, is not
  • Options
    Does our current squad have the tier 3 mentality or work ethic though, Carter ?

Think maybe SLL has a point for once.
  • Options
    Pub League no, Pub side yes.
  • Options
    Can no one else see the pattern that is, to me, clearly emerging? If we don't go up this season, we will go down next. I honestly think that.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I enjoyed league one last season, we won more often than not, good team spirit and we were well in with a shout of automatics, this season is just incredibly depressing, last season I always fancied us no matter who we played, but we look so fragile this season, when I got in from training tonight I just laughed when I saw the score, I'd usually be fuming and really gutted, but it's just been such a rubbish season it's hard to have that level of passion with so many defeats.
  • Options
    Which Pub?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Fanny - I'm sure someone on here knows the facts, but I'd be interested to know the average time it takes a relegated team to get promotion back up from this division.

Took us a few years, Leeds too, Southampton are still trying, as are yourselves, others have sank & fallen even further.

Most teams take a few years to turn things around. You get relegated because the players are rubbish, the atmosphere within the club is negative, stale, people are in a losing mindset from the kitchen staff to the groundsmen. Not easy to just switch that all around and storm back up.

Takes some time, a realisation about what this level is about, adapting to it and succeeding.
  • Options
    There are several good comment here but (and maybe it is because I am so ancient) I really am not sure why any of us should have any real expectation for anything better than what we are currently witnessing - other than of course plain wishful thinking or even blind optimism.

We cannot keep “contemplating our navel” by looking back but actions have consequences and if we look at why the club was successful for so many years and then look at the survival strategy it has had to pursue in recent years we are where we are for a reason.

You simply cannot build anything, but the most temporary success, with the level of player churn we have witnessed over the past 5 years. It is fact of life that such churn has been necessary due to our financial plight but building virtually an entire new squad every season is no recipe for anything other than a “flattery to deceive”.

To a degree we are not alone. The level of managerial casualties shows it is not just us with a level of delusional expectations. I know we now live in an “instant” society but some comments concerning Powell’s management credentials lead me to believe some have never been near any sort of football team in their life.

It is very frustrating we have fallen so far but there are no instant solutions. Any clamoring for yet more change is insane. We have rotated nearly 120 professionals in 6 years. Successive managers have, usually at a cost we cannot afford, assembled sets of supposed talents that almost without exception have flattered to deceive. This demand for instant solutions must stop. It does not work.

Most recently we demanded Parkinson assemble last chance “promotion” squads under huge financial constraints. In reality last year though he failed he did no bad job. Even this year he cobbled together a set of players to give us the “mirage” of achieving something.

Sadly unable to mould such talents into a unit capable of achieving not just results but any sustainable level of performance cost PP his job. In fact, no matter the players’ individual talents, our squad is
    - Seriously unbalanced
    - Limited in all round technical ability
    - Totally bereft of any “nouse”
    but it is all we could afford.

This site hosts post match reviews with player grades. If there were a per player review of this squad what would be the views on whether each player would actually be one expected to make a positive contribution to us a) achieving promotion? b) Or making a contribution at a higher level?

For me such an individual analysis explains very clearly why each is playing at this level. Only with extended, individual and team coaching will we see any substantive progress. I do not seek to denigrate any of the players. They play at a level far higher than I was ever able to consider but it will surely bring a level of realism to those of us that seem to have such unrealistic expectations.

If you sat down with a blue print of a squad structure designed to achieve promotion and then matched the range of abilities and styles of the players available to Powell you would probably offer him your shoulder to cry on. The sticking plaster of more loan players will at best bring only temporary relief.

The position reminds me of seeing many business projects fail to deliver. Unrealistic expectations hoisted on project managers given neither the budget, nor the resources, nor the time to do the job.

We now have Powell “in situ”. Can we all just have some patience and give him the time to the job? He may not be the right man but any such assessment based on what he has available to him at the moment is quite frankly ludicrous.

Grapevine49
  • Options
    Excellent analysis as always Grapevine49.
  • Options
    Let's face it Grapevine is right !
  • Options
    Great post Grapevine. Really appreciate you taking the time to write an articulate, well thought out post on the topic. Thank-you.
  • Options
    Basically, the fans (whose fault it must be) have been conned.
  • Options
    Great post Grapevine. Excellent analysis.
  • Options
    Spot on Grapevine, can we put this in the programme for the Tranmere match?
  • Options
    Great post Grapevine49 ... as Lookie says, well thought out ... your comment on our 'instant society' is so valid.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Sparrows Lane Lion[/cite]Fanny - I'm sure someone on here knows the facts, but I'd be interested to know the average time it takes a relegated team to get promotion back up from this division.

Took us a few years, Leeds too, Southampton are still trying, as are yourselves, others have sank & fallen even further.

Most teams take a few years to turn things around. You get relegated because the players are rubbish, the atmosphere within the club is negative, stale, people are in a losing mindset from the kitchen staff to the groundsmen. Not easy to just switch that all around and storm back up.

Takes some time, a realisation about what this level is about, adapting to it and succeeding.

Just wanted to comment on this.

I did some research when we went down to League 1 - I can't remember the exact results, but it is extremely rare for a team to return to the Premiership from League 1. I think it's only one or two teams that have done that since the Premiership was created. So it was always going to be a big ask, but maybe Norwich and /or Leeds will improve that stat in the near future?